Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The most expensiv animal in the collection

Go down 
+19
Regy
stecal
Rio
Numa
Yurumi
Kiryuha
ken yeo
WILLYBACOMAN
noeska
SyLoBe
castlerigg
Wildheart
schleich61
Roger
Mastiffcat
HKHollinstone
Kikimalou
SUSANNE
widukind
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
schleich61

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 11:46 pm

Hello, I have the 17 volumes of this series in eBook form (.pdf file format). If anyone would like eBook copies of any of these volumes, feel free to send me a PM and I will upload the requested item(s) to a filesharing host.

I should note that these copies are from a Second Edition reprint done in possibly 2003. They are quite voluminous - maybe 300 - 500 pages in each volume.

The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 Grzime10
Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 1:07 am

castlerigg wrote:
Schleichzoo, I can't access most of my animal books right now, but one good source for Helmut Diller is "Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia" by Dr. Bernhard Grzimek, first published in 1972 and in English in 1975.

It's a huge, 13 volume work and vastly expensive, but I'm only interested in mammals, and I was lucky to get three of the four Mammals volumes second-hand with damaged bindings very cheaply.

Right now, I have "Vol. 12: Mammals III" in front of me. It covers Rabbits and Hares/Carnivores/Seals and Sealions/Groundhogs/Horses/Hyraxes/Manatees/and Proboscidae, with masses of line drawings, photographs ... and full-page colour artwork showing every species. While he is not the only artist, in the Carnivore section alone, 24 of the colour plates are by Helmut Diller. There are many more throughout the book. Here are scans of a couple.

Lesley
castlerigg

Thanks for this tip. I had heard of this before but can you or someone tell me exactly what each of the volumes are or what volumes contain what animals? I am mainly interested in the volumes with all the hoofed animals, zebras, camels etc. but I want to know which volume covers what. thank you.
Back to top Go down
schleich61

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 1:24 am

Schleichzoo wrote:

Thanks for this tip. I had heard of this before but can you or someone tell me exactly what each of the volumes are or what volumes contain what animals? I am mainly interested in the volumes with all the hoofed animals, zebras, camels etc. but I want to know which volume covers what. thank you.

Here's the breakdown, Numaan:

* Volume 1: Lower Metazoans and Lesser Deuterostomes
* Volume 2: Protostomes
* Volume 3: Insects
* Volume 4-5: Fish
* Volume 6: Amphibians
* Volume 7: Reptiles
* Volume 8-11: Birds
* Volume 12-16: Mammals
* Volume 17: Index

If you want a further breakdown of the fishes, birds and mammals volumes, I can do that, but only by listing the many, many orders contained within each volume.

Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 1:27 am

Schleichzoo wrote:

Vol 12, Mammals III includes the horse side of the horse family.
Vol 13 Mammals IV, is all the hooved mammals except the horses. Rhinos, tapirs, hippos, deer, camels, giraffes, everybody else is in this volume.
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 3:35 am

schleich61 wrote:
Sorry, Willy, but I think you must be confusing Susanne with someone else... Surprised

Yes, i did as it seems... Embarassed

I know these animal encyclopedia very well, and Prof. Dr. Grzimek to, as he was always on German TV when i was young, presenting wonderfull animal/nature series, named "Ein Platz für Tiere"(A place for animals).
He was the director of the German Frankfurter Zoo also in that time...
Those books were already expensive when they came out, and they are stil one of the best resourses to find out about wildlife!

Talking about expensive things, which i showed already before on another place on the forum:

http://www.figuren-journal.com/vHzXEvU1pAX8vwA7Xx2xlfoHqp7Xim/Index.cgi?action=shop&shop=saleslist&saleslist=detail&id=73932&page=2&keywords=&category=ZA&maker=&material=&scale=&seller=&status=all

http://www.figuren-journal.com/vHzXEvU1pAX8vwA7Xx2xlfoHqp7Xim/Index.cgi?action=shop&shop=saleslist&saleslist=detail&id=73931&page=2&keywords=&category=ZA&maker=&material=&scale=&seller=&status=all

http://www.figuren-journal.com/vHzXEvU1pAX8vwA7Xx2xlfoHqp7Xim/Index.cgi?action=shop&shop=saleslist&saleslist=detail&id=74236&page=1&keywords=&category=ZA&maker=&material=&scale=&seller=&status=all

And here is Andreas his lyrebird to:

http://www.figuren-journal.com/vHzXEvU1pAX8vwA7Xx2xlfoHqp7Xim/Index.cgi?action=shop&shop=saleslist&saleslist=detail&id=78170&page=1&keywords=&category=WA&maker=&material=&scale=&seller=&status=all

And this is the most expensive animal related item i ever saw;

http://www.figuren-journal.com/vHzXEvU1pAX8vwA7Xx2xlfoHqp7Xim/Index.cgi?action=shop&shop=saleslist&saleslist=detail&id=73975&page=3&keywords=&category=ACC&maker=&material=&scale=&seller=&status=all

affraid Shocked affraid Shocked affraid Shocked affraid Shocked affraid

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 8:57 am

And here is Andreas his lyrebird to:

http://www.figuren-journal.com/vHzXEvU1pAX8vwA7Xx2xlfoHqp7Xim/Index.cgi?action=shop&shop=saleslist&saleslist=detail&id=78170&page=1&keywords=&category=WA&maker=&material=&scale=&seller=&status=all

My lyrebird was not so expensive! cheers

And this is the most expensive animal related item i ever saw;

http://www.figuren-journal.com/vHzXEvU1pAX8vwA7Xx2xlfoHqp7Xim/Index.cgi?action=shop&shop=saleslist&saleslist=detail&id=73975&page=3&keywords=&category=ACC&maker=&material=&scale=&seller=&status=all

Uahhhhhhh!!! What a Face What a Face What a Face

I am happy, my zoo needs not this things!!! cheers
[/quote]

Back to top Go down
castlerigg

castlerigg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 10:47 am

The volumes that I have are from the earlier, 13-volume set. I don't know if the 17-volume set has as many Helmut Diller illustrations. This is how the mammals are divided in the 13-volume set -

Volume 10: Egg-layers/Pouched animals/Kangaroos/Insect eaters/Hedgehogs/Moneys and Apes/Gibbons/Gorillas.

Volume 11: Chimpanzees/Man/Flying Lemurs/Bats/Toothless mammals/Scaly Anteaters and Pangolins/Rodents/Whales/Dolphins.

Volume 12: Rabbits and Hares/Carnivores/Seals and Sealions/Groundhogs/Horses/Hyraxes/Manatees/Proboscidae.

Volume 13: Tapirs/Rhinoceros/Pigs/Hippopotamus/Camels/Cud-chewers (Ruminants)/Deer/Antelopes/Cattle.

Lesley
castlerigg
Back to top Go down
Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 1:19 pm

castlerigg wrote:
The volumes that I have are from the earlier, 13-volume set. I don't know if the 17-volume set has as many Helmut Diller illustrations. This is how the mammals are divided in the 13-volume set -

Volume 10: Egg-layers/Pouched animals/Kangaroos/Insect eaters/Hedgehogs/Moneys and Apes/Gibbons/Gorillas.

Volume 11: Chimpanzees/Man/Flying Lemurs/Bats/Toothless mammals/Scaly Anteaters and Pangolins/Rodents/Whales/Dolphins.

Volume 12: Rabbits and Hares/Carnivores/Seals and Sealions/Groundhogs/Horses/Hyraxes/Manatees/Proboscidae.

Volume 13: Tapirs/Rhinoceros/Pigs/Hippopotamus/Camels/Cud-chewers (Ruminants)/Deer/Antelopes/Cattle.

Lesley
castlerigg

I think Helmut's images are in the original 13 volume set. Could you post a couple of photos of the front cover of one of the mammal volumes so I can see what to look out for online? Also another photo of an open page with some of Helmut's zebra or antelope images? thank you.
Back to top Go down
castlerigg

castlerigg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 2:27 pm

Mmmm ... I think we are in danger of hijacking this thread! As there is no section for books and illustrators, if you don't mind, I've started a new topic in "Talk About All What You Want", where we can continue this conversation.

Lesley
castlerigg
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Great idea, Lesley Very Happy

Thankyou flower
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Regy

Regy

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: What is the most you have spent in one go?   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 7:16 am

I Just Brought $324.40 worth of Cattle And dogs with a couple horses in there :)

what is the most you have spent in one go?? :)
Back to top Go down
Sumo

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 3:38 pm

Surprised I once spent $200ish on one book, does that count?
Other than that... well, there has been the occasional MPV or TGF binge that has approached the $100 mark....

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/

http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 5:53 pm

scratch scratch scratch

that was in the past more than 220€ for a 100€-gold coin but for a animal figurine it was 72,50€ for the old lyrebird Very Happy

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Regy

Regy

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Wow $200 on a book. Very Happy

My Partner Doesn't know i spent much money lol
Back to top Go down
SommoDracorex

SommoDracorex

Country/State : Italia

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 1:51 pm

I think two of my most expensive plastic animals are these two beauties... by Torben Very Happy
Actually, there are many other figures that I paid more than 100€, not counting the polystone statues... Shocked
The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 947_3595269614588_1259496707_nThe most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 531071_3595270654614_553989390_n

Last edited by SommoDracorex on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://sommodracorex.deviantart.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Arrrh ! Go away, Mirko !!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Those dodos are ......... WOW cheers

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:21 pm

SUSANNE wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
SommoDracorex

SommoDracorex

Country/State : Italia

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 6:53 pm

SUSANNE wrote:

lol! lol! lol!

WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 4:08 am

After a long time not reading in this tread, we can all come to the conclusion that we all pay what we can afford, and for what we really like and want... Cool
I am a real bargain hunter, just because i let things pass by when they are to expensive in that particular moment, and they will pop up one day again, maybe for a better price... Rolling Eyes
An example is the Britains 1364 Red deer, which i never posessed in my life, but i have it now for a bargain priceo € 7,50 including postal charges.
It was actually logical, as it was made between 1960-1970, and that was before i ever started to collect really serious, that started in the middle of the 1970's. farao
I am pretty sure, the old Schleich beagle and the WWF series of Schleich that Susanne bought and showed here are for sure worth to pay a lot for them, they will never loose value through the years. cyclops
We can't compare with someone like Richard Lewis, which collection is worth far over 100.000 in any amount or currency.
He started early i guess, and after he had the base for his collection, he could afford to buy only the very rare pieces for his collection, because he didn't have to concentrate on "minor" things as we all have to do.
And the real value, if this really important for a hardtime collector, as much of us are, is in our own eyes, because we can love a model in our collections which is worth just a penny for example. cheers
But we all have the itch to get some models which are missing in our collections, and that makes the search and hunting so nice, you must have something to long for, because when you have the money to buy everything, the real joy of collecting is probably gone with all the money you have... Rolling Eyes
Good hunting for us all! cheers

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 5:33 pm

WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
After a long time not reading in this tread, we can all come to the conclusion that we all pay what we can afford, and for what we really like and want... Cool
I am a real bargain hunter, just because i let things pass by when they are to expensive in that particular moment, and they will pop up one day again, maybe for a better price... Rolling Eyes
An example is the Britains 1364 Red deer, which i never posessed in my life, but i have it now for a bargain priceo € 7,50 including postal charges.
It was actually logical, as it was made between 1960-1970, and that was before i ever started to collect really serious, that started in the middle of the 1970's. farao
I am pretty sure, the old Schleich beagle and the WWF series of Schleich that Susanne bought and showed here are for sure worth to pay a lot for them, they will never loose value through the years. cyclops
We can't compare with someone like Richard Lewis, which collection is worth far over 100.000 in any amount or currency.
He started early i guess, and after he had the base for his collection, he could afford to buy only the very rare pieces for his collection, because he didn't have to concentrate on "minor" things as we all have to do.
And the real value, if this really important for a hardtime collector, as much of us are, is in our own eyes, because we can love a model in our collections which is worth just a penny for example. cheers
But we all have the itch to get some models which are missing in our collections, and that makes the search and hunting so nice, you must have something to long for, because when you have the money to buy everything, the real joy of collecting is probably gone with all the money you have... Rolling Eyes
Good hunting for us all! cheers

What is more to say sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 4:32 am

Ich weiss nicht, i don't know, je ne se pas, yo no se, mi no sa, ik weet het niet! Rolling Eyes

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 6:50 am

WILLYBACOMAN wrote:
Ich weiss nicht, i don't know, je ne se pas, yo no se, mi no sa, ik weet het niet! Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 11:44 pm

What we must realise is that value is not static.

What was expensive in the past may not retain it's value in the present or the future.

For example I was lucky enough to obtain half a dozen Britains Platypus for 10p each in the late 1980's. Now these are considered rare and hard to get! And their "value" is far more than 10p!

Luck pays a part here in collecting.

WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 5:20 am

Yeah Chris, at least 11P! Very Happy geek
I have one luckily, but i still am searching one for a very good friend of mine, are you able to help on that maybe? Laughing

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 5:38 am

11P Shocked ... Laughing
I was lucky enough to find Chris who give me one of this beauty cheers
thank you again so much Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The most expensiv animal in the collection   The most expensiv animal in the collection - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The most expensiv animal in the collection
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next