Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains African Black Rhino charging

Go down 
+10
Advicot
PeGe
Kikimalou
scot(t)
baltimore zoo
HKHollinstone
widukind
SUSANNE
Roger
Chris Sweetman
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

Britains African Black Rhino charging  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains African Black Rhino charging    Britains African Black Rhino charging  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 12:46 am

So beautiful photos of an very nice model ! Applause cheers

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Britains African Black Rhino charging    Britains African Black Rhino charging  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 1:07 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Roger wrote:
Pictures are brilliant, of course! Though, I want to point that the fact that we barely see the paws of this model, contributes also to a more realistic look. Maybe that's the least appealing part of this great sculpt. Have they painted it in a subtle different way and it would look real.

Many thanks Rogério. Regarding the actual figure one must remember that at the time it was produced the advanced painting techniques that are available today were in their infancy. Plus this was only a toy for children to play with and never meant to be an item for collectors.

When I see this rhino and other late issue Britains I just wonder why they put the effort in with the definition of the animal's muscles, skin wrinkles, even the ribs in this particular figure. All this plus the animated pose that captures the essence of the animal just perfectly.

I am aware of it, actually I wanted to highlight the quality of the sculpts of Britains models and not the limitations in terms of painting. I am a huge fan of Britains sculpts, the Indian rhino or a few elephants, are among my favourite figures of ever. I am sure that if Britains models were painted according with modern standards, more people would appreciate them these days.
Talking about painting, it is also a pleasure to see how good is the painting condition on your models, most of mine are almost paintless, my giraffe looks like a ghost. affraid

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Britains African Black Rhino charging    Britains African Black Rhino charging  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 10, 2020 7:26 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Britains African Black Rhino charging    Britains African Black Rhino charging  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 6:17 pm

Great photos. The African guide in the first post is very rare! I know you collect vintage car models too, Chris: Do you also have the Landrover (and isn’t there a Western tourist too)?

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Britains African Black Rhino charging    Britains African Black Rhino charging  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 11, 2020 7:21 pm

This brings back memories. I had this as a child. In Arizona, there was a toy store chain (probably more than just AZ), called KB Toys & Hobbies. They sold Britains individually. Because of the cost (compared to bag sets of animals), I only had three: this black rhino, the crocodile with the movable jaw, and the tiger. I never knew the company but since joining this forum I learned it.
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Britains African Black Rhino charging    Britains African Black Rhino charging  - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2020 12:58 am

costicuba wrote:
So beautiful photos of an very nice model ! Applause cheers

widukind wrote:
cheers cheers

Thanks to you both Very Happy

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains African Black Rhino charging    Britains African Black Rhino charging  - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2020 1:03 am

Roger wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:
Roger wrote:
Pictures are brilliant, of course! Though, I want to point that the fact that we barely see the paws of this model, contributes also to a more realistic look. Maybe that's the least appealing part of this great sculpt. Have they painted it in a subtle different way and it would look real.

Many thanks Rogério. Regarding the actual figure one must remember that at the time it was produced the advanced painting techniques that are available today were in their infancy. Plus this was only a toy for children to play with and never meant to be an item for collectors.

When I see this rhino and other late issue Britains I just wonder why they put the effort in with the definition of the animal's muscles, skin wrinkles, even the ribs in this particular figure. All this plus the animated pose that captures the essence of the animal just perfectly.

I am aware of it, actually I wanted to highlight the quality of the sculpts of Britains models and not the limitations in terms of painting. I am a huge fan of Britains sculpts, the Indian rhino or a few elephants, are among my favourite figures of ever. I am sure that if Britains models were painted according with modern standards, more people would appreciate them these days.
Talking about painting, it is also a pleasure to see how good is the painting condition on your models, most of mine are almost paintless, my giraffe looks like a ghost. affraid

Hi Rogério

That's another issue with the vintage toy animals flaky paint. Fortunately, paint has greatly improved since the 1950's and has a much better chance to stick to the model. This is aided by using PVC plastic and PVC paint that chemically bond together so chipped paintwork is largely a thing of the past.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains African Black Rhino charging    Britains African Black Rhino charging  - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2020 1:07 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Great photos. The African guide in the first post is very rare! I know you collect vintage car models too, Chris: Do you also have the Landrover (and isn’t there a Western tourist too)?

Thanks Roger. Yes, I have the LWB Safari Land-Rover which came with the Native Guide and photographer in a safari suit. I will post images of this group soon.

In the late 1990's I found some Native Guides in a toy shop. They were placed in a Britains point of sale box alongside soldiers. I managed to buy a few at a fraction of the price they go for from toy figure dealers.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Britains African Black Rhino charging    Britains African Black Rhino charging  - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 12, 2020 1:10 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
This brings back memories. I had this as a child. In Arizona, there was a toy store chain (probably more than just AZ), called KB Toys & Hobbies. They sold Britains individually. Because of the cost (compared to bag sets of animals), I only had three: this black rhino, the crocodile with the movable jaw, and the tiger. I never knew the company but since joining this forum I learned it.

Great that these images bring back memories of childhood. Prices of Britains were high due to the painting but this was how they became popular in the UK and it looks like across the globe too. Glad that STS has brought you information about this company.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Britains African Black Rhino charging    Britains African Black Rhino charging  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains African Black Rhino charging
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2