Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide

Go down 
+15
Carola
Sergey
scot(t)
aandmkw
STORMnl
baltimore zoo
∴Worlds∴in∴Miniature∴
ken yeo
Sumo
AlvinCK
widukind
Kikimalou
SUSANNE
Ana
Roger
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 8:48 pm

This is a wonderful subject cheers

I LOVE the Olorotitan and the little ones, and... Takama, please don`t go too fast, my poor head is spinning drunken geek Laughing

There is nothing on TV tonight, and the book I am reading is full of darned errors, so I think I will start from the beginning and see if I can remember some of the names and what you have written about them. I amy also have missed some Wink

THANKYOU very, very much for this huge work you are doing, Takama, and please don`t erase anything sunny

Takama

Takama

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 pm

"Dont go two fast"

Alright here is the last one for today

Ouranosaurus Basic Facts

Ouranosaurus lived in a warm environment during its time in the Early Cretaceous of Africa. It was a Primitive Hadrosaur with a very distinct feature. On its back were very tall neural spines whose purpose is unknown. Since it lived in a Warm environment, it would not have been used for absorbing heat from the sun, but maybe it was used to store food and fat like the hump of a modern day camel.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Also a Bonus

Giganto Kitty Basic Facts
Loves to sleep on my photography sheets when i need them the most Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Takama on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Two wonderful, beautyful and unusual creatures Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

The Giganto Kitty sets completely new standards. This dino didn`t have feathers, it had FUR Shocked lol!

Thankyou for great photoes cheers

Takama

Takama

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 12:34 am

SUSANNE wrote:
Two wonderful, beautyful and unusual creatures Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

The Giganto Kitty sets completely new standards. This dino didn`t have feathers, it had FUR Shocked lol!

Thankyou for great photoes cheers

LOL, Actatuly its my cat trying to use my photography sheets as a Bed. Its not a Dinosaur.

On the subject of Cats, heres one thats Prehistoric

Smilodon Basic Facts
Smilodon is the most popular saber tooth predator in the world, as it has appeared in everything from movies to books to TV shows and Videogames. Contrary to Popular belief, this felid has no relations to Panthera Tigris. Its most famous feature are its long canine teeth that were fragile and in capable of biting into bone. So they would bring there prey by either biting into the neck or a large vain before retreating to watch its victim die of blood loss. Smilodon was one of the prehistoric creatures that encountered humans, which unfortunately lead to there eventual demise.

Last edited by Takama on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add in a Kitty)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 8:57 am

Thankyou for the great pictures of this model, too sunny

Funny enough I never was tempted to get this smiley. Perhaps the colouring or the rather stiff pose ?
But having seen your pictures, my usually very formidable ( not!) willpower begins to give in Laughing

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 5:08 pm

Nice figurines again cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

And your black panther is very cute sunny sunny sunny sunny

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Takama

Takama

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 8:59 pm

Miragaia Basic Facts
Miragaia is an unusual Stegosaur, for it had a surprisingly long neck (Remove the plates from its back, and you might think it was a sauropod). It lived in Portugal and was named after a Portuguese Goddess. New studies have shown that it was more closely related to Dacentrurus, the first Stegosaur ever discovered.

Corythosaurus Basic Facts
Corythosaurus has a crest that was shared by other Hadrosaurs, but remains diffrent thanks to its skeleton. It was known to live in swamplands, and in herds. It was also one of a few dinosaurs that has left skin impressions on its skeleton. There were originally seven species belonging to this dinosaur, but all the bones from them have been proven to be diffrent ages and sex of the same species, and so only one is valid.

Last edited by Takama on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 9:25 am

I think Miragaia is very interesting, thank You for writing info about it Very Happy

The Corythosaurus looks little bit cartoony to me, but also it's interesting dinosaurs and I didn't hear about this species before (well, Your guide is for me one of the very few lessons about dinos in my life :) ) Thank You for sharing and keep posting! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 10:55 am

I agree ! That Miragaia is fabulous and unusual cheers

It looks like the Corythosaurus has been designed by another artist, but a fine model, too !

I am SO impressed by your collection, WOW Sad(o)):

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 5:40 pm

So many nice dinosaur species sunny sunny Have you also a special german dinosaur? question

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Takama

Takama

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 10:35 pm

widukind wrote:
So many nice dinosaur species  sunny  sunny  Have you also a special german dinosaur? question

I had a Plateosaurus, but it broke, so its on my replacement list.

Styrachosaurus Basic Facts
Styrachsaurus had the most heavily horned face of any ceratopisan,  six long horns, and so smaller horns jutted out of the Frill. It is known that Juveniles also had a couple horns over there eyebrows that disappear as it matured. It is also known to be a herd animal, due to several skeletons being found in the same spot. It coexisted with veryus Hadrosaurs and other ceratopsians, as well as Despletoesaurus and Gorgosaurus, which were most likely Styrachsaurus sworn enemies.

Psittacosaurus
Psittacosaurus  is a good example of a primitive ceratopsian. It was camparibly small, It lacked a neck frill, and it can walk on two legs. There is also two bones that jut out of its cheeks. These bones were thought to have evolved to large brow horns that you would see on the more advanced members. In the year 2002 it was published that Psiticasaurus(or at least some species of that genus) had father like quills on its tail. This has led to some speculation and debate on whether or not the more advanced ceratopsian members had them as well.

Last edited by Takama on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 10:43 pm

What wonderful pictures of a fabulous model cheers
That last picture is a masterpiece drunken

I think it is so funny that the youngsters had more horns than the adults Very Happy
I learn something new from you all the time Sad(o)):

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 11:44 pm

Miragaia is without any doubt the best of all last figures here presented. It looks realistic and respect generally what was found about this dinosaur. Very Happy
I'll only clarify some points, Gaia is a Greek Godess and not Portuguese. Miragaia is just the name of the Parish where fossiles were found. This is a parish from Lourinhã Municipality, the same that gave name to lourinhanosaurus, dinosaur that CollectA also released recently. Very Happy
Wikipedia article in English is linking to another parish called Miragaia but it is not correct. Very Happy
I confess, when I've heard about this dinosaur for the first time, I also thought it was from the wrong and Northern parish, there are some caves with fantastic wine, so it wouldn't surprise to find the remainings of a drunken dino. drunken Also, it has longer neck than other stegosaurids, it would perfectly be the result of the evolution of the species trying to reach the wine barrels of the top. I was wrong, however I hope I am giving a very scientific contribution to this fantastic guide. cheers Laughing

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:15 am

My ceratopsian shelf is completely crowded but I would be happy to find a small place for this styracosaurus Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 8:49 am

Roger wrote:
.... it has longer neck than other stegosaurids, it would perfectly be the result of the evolution of the species trying to reach the wine barrels of the top. ....

I am sure you are right, Roger cheers Laughing Laughing

Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:48 am

I like the action pose of Styrachsaurus. And it's very interesting to know that younger dinos of this species had more horns than adult, that's unusual indeed Very Happy

But I find even more interesting information about Psittacosaurus. So that's how ancestor of triceratops looked like? It's surprising for me. I never thought about how could they look before Suspect Laughing I like this topic more and more :)

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 11:50 am

Ana wrote:
I like the action pose of Styrachsaurus. And it's very interesting to know that younger dinos of this species had more horns than adult, that's unusual indeed Very Happy

But I find even more interesting information about Psittacosaurus. So that's how ancestor of triceratops looked like? It's surprising for me. I never thought about how could they look before Suspect Laughing I like this topic more and more :)

Indeed psittacosaurus and triceratops ancestors are relatives but they are from different ceratopsians families Wink

Despite it is less known from large public than triceratops, Psittacosaurus is very well known from scientists because we have hundreds of fossils from hachtlings to adult animals.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Ana wrote:

Indeed psittacosaurus and triceratops ancestors are relatives but they are from different ceratopsians families Wink

Despite it is less known from large public than triceratops, Psittacosaurus is very well known from scientists because we have hundreds of fossils from hachtlings to adult animals.

Thank You Kiki Very Happy Oh, it seems I don't even know where to start with learning about dinosaurs, this seems to be too deep sea for me now Shocked Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 12:48 pm

Ana wrote:

Thank You Kiki Very Happy Oh, it seems I don't even know where to start with learning about dinosaurs, this seems to be too deep sea for me now Shocked Rolling Eyes

Laughing It is a deep sea indeed Laughing
Not only are there lots and lots of them, they also have the most impossible names , - and the scientists are constantly discussing and finding new theories Shocked geek Suspect

But they are SO interesting cheers

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 5:34 pm

Wonderful dinos again sunny sunny sunny

Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 5:39 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Ana wrote:

Not only are there lots and lots of them, they also have the most impossible names , - and the scientists are constantly discussing and finding new theories Shocked geek Suspect

Yes, those scientists Evil or Very Mad Laughing
But dinos are very interesting indeed Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 9:57 pm

Ana wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:
Ana wrote:

Yes, those scientists Evil or Very Mad Laughing
But dinos are very interesting indeed Very Happy

Well, I think it is useless to know all dino names once not even paaeonthologists are able of recognize most of them. Very Happy
I think the best way to start is learning which are dinosaurs and which are not. I think you already know that pterosaurs (wrongly known as flying dinos) and for example, mosasaurs, marine reptiles, don't belong to dinosaurs groups. OF course there are also crocodilians,, etc. Very Happy
Next step is identifying among real dinosaurs the main 5 groups:
Theropods, those best known like T-rex and most of them walk on 2 feet, usually known as carnivores;
Ceratopsians, those like triceratops, walk on 4 and are herbivorous, usually horned too;
Stegosaurs, those similar to stegosaurs, herbivores with plats on back and usually small heads;
Sauropods, those large with almost elephant feet and long necks and tails like brachiosaurs;
Ankilosaurs, those armoured, walk on 4 feet, herbivores like Ankylosaurus and Saichania, for example.
This is not perfect but I think this is the basis to try to understand how they are classified. I think only after it we can think in groups inside these like it happens with theropods that present a huge variation of animals. Very Happy

Takama

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 10:23 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Ana wrote:

The names sceientists give them is basically there Genus name. All organisiums hav a Genus name. Example. A Lion is part of the Genus Panthera,

We call it lion because we came up with a common name for it. Dinosaurs are only called by there genus, because they do not have a Common name.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 10:25 pm

Dinosaurs are archosaurs, like modern crocodilians. They are differentiated most noticeably by their gait. Dinosaur legs extend directly beneath the body, whereas the legs of lizards and crocodilians sprawl out to either side.
Dinosaurs are divided into two groups: Saurischia and Ornithischia. These two groups can be distinguished most noticeably by their pelvic structure.

Early saurischians "lizard-hipped", retained the hip structure of their ancestors, with a pubis bone directed cranially, or forward. This basic form was modified by rotating the pubis backward to varying degrees in several groups (Herrerasaurus, therizinosauroids, dromaeosaurids and birds).
Saurischia is divided in two great groups: The THEROPODA (exclusively bipedal and with a wide variety of diets) and SAUROPODOMORPHA (long-necked herbivores which include advanced, quadrupedal groups).

Ornithischians "bird-hipped" had a pelvis that superficially resembled a bird's pelvis: the pubis bone was oriented caudally (rear-pointing). Unlike birds, the ornithischian pubis also usually had an additional forward-pointing process. Ornithischia includes a variety of species which were primarily herbivores. (NB: the terms "lizard hip" and "bird hip" are misnomers – birds evolved from dinosaurs with "lizard hips".)

ORNITHISCHIA is divided into different groups too like CERATOPSIA, ORNITHOPODA, PACHYCEPHALOSAURIA and THYREOPHORA Wink
Back to top Go down
Takama

Takama

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 10:45 pm

Here is a Book with some good information about the subject

Next

Keleken Basic Facts
The Keleken is a record holder, for it had the biggest head of any bird dead or alive. It was part of a family of birds that specilize predetory behaviore. It was also estimated to be the biggest of there kind, by standing at around 3 meters tall. It was also one of the apex predetors in its domain during the Middle Miocene in Argentina.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide   CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

CollectA Dinosaur refrence guide
Page 11 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next