Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models

Go down 
+41
Mgarat
LeeAnn
MiniZoo
widukind
costicuba
SUSANNE
Ana
Saarlooswolfhound
Kikimalou
Roger
Wilorvise
A.R.Garcia
Geospiza fortis
littlebear
Bloodrayne
Dum_my
Tarunyada
Carola
signatus
ulinuk
Shanti
Bonobo
lucky luke
Fisva
Noémi
Florian
kudu11
Zelvik
SyLoBe
koniminiatures
elephas_maximus
Defteros
JonasV
cattlecollector
animalluvr6
Philter4
bjarki12
trevok4
A-J
Joan Milelire
HKHollinstone
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

Country/State : United States

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2013, 21:07

^Thanks.
Does anyone know if the caribou has one or two forward 'sweeps' on the antlers? I gave mine one like the Schleich model, but I can't quite make out the reference photos of the real animals I've been using.
Back to top Go down
Philter4

Philter4

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyWed 18 Dec 2013, 21:35

Geospiza fortis wrote:
^Thanks.
Does anyone know if the caribou has one or two forward 'sweeps' on the antlers? I gave mine one like the Schleich model, but I can't quite make out the reference photos of the real animals I've been using.

I guess it depends on what you mean as well as the subspecies and individual animal. In a normal healthy bulls the southern populations have larger antlers then northern populations, in fact as a proportion to size they have the largest antlers to body size ratio of any deer and the second largest antlers (second only to the moose) in the world. Each antler has two parts an upper and a much smaller lower part. I'm guessing you are talking about the lower parts when you say "sweeps", and there are two, one per antler. Since your model has a southern form, there is a very common growth pattern where these lower parts actually touch and being such fast growing, fuse together, forming a single piece in large adult males. With that pattern you could make a figure with either separate or a single lower antler and it would still be anatomically accurate.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
animalluvr6

animalluvr6

Country/State : United States, Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyThu 19 Dec 2013, 00:07

Welcome here! Such beautiful work you have, I love the penguin! Very Happy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~Anatole France
Back to top Go down
http://kelseys66.blogspot.com/
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyThu 19 Dec 2013, 01:39

Thank you animalluvr, for the compliments. Thanks to Phil, as well for the information. My antler not attatched to the forward bit is having stability problems, but I guess if the two sides are fused together in front, the connection would strengthen it. Two birds with one stone.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyThu 19 Dec 2013, 02:17

I always called the "sweeps" shovels, and I think that's the correct term though I may be wrong. Anyways, yes they have two shovels on the front of their antlers, though they can be very differently shaped, not always symmetrical.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyThu 19 Dec 2013, 07:54

Fortis, I think the penguin you made is wonderful ! Very Happy  Very Happy 
The pose, the wings, the fold over the feet , which made me think it was a male with an egg .

Perhaps I am a bit weird, but I like a model to be just as YOU see it, and not neccesarily completely accurate .
Most great artists did and don't make accurate models...look at Mona Lisa's smile  Very Happy 
To me it has enormous charm, and I think you should leave it as it is.
Then perhaps you can make one more later, if you want Wink

Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyThu 19 Dec 2013, 21:47

Thanks and yes, I will leave his leg proportions as they are. I agree with what you said about accuracy. Although I like things 100% perfect, I don't give up on a model because of a difficult-to-fix error which gives it, as you said, charm. Jurassic Park is still my favorite movie although the deinonychus are bald and have broken wrists (two out of a myriad of problems).
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: New Emperor Penguin   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptySun 22 Dec 2013, 23:37

Apologies for double-posting, but I have just completed the sculpting process of my second penguin.
Pics:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What do you think? I used the feedback given to me on the first one to help in the making of the second.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Dec 2013, 00:39

Great! cheers

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Dec 2013, 07:06

You don't need to apologize for double posting  Wink  You are not alone  Laughing

Your Emperor penguin is far better than the previous one, I love it  Applause 
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Dec 2013, 14:27

Thanks To the both of you. I'll probably start painting today or tomorrow. I also have my caribou ready to bake and I took pictures to show here before baking, but I am having technical problems with my computer. I'll post pictures here when it works.
Another question- does anyone know if I should paint the penguins black and add white or white and add black? I've been wondering this for a while. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Dec 2013, 16:18

The new one looks great and has very realistic proportions! Congratulations! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Dec 2013, 16:27

I would do white and then black when painting. Great job, I love them both!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Dec 2013, 17:37

Thank you. I agree with the white/black idea. I just hope the paint isn't too thick for the patterning, but I guess if I airbrush the white it won't be much of problem. I'm still troubled with error code 43, but when I find a solution I will post pics of my caribou.  rendeer

EDIT: I went through a complicated process involving using another camera and another person's computer, and I have some photos to share. He isn't baked yet, but is just about ready to be. Here come the pictures:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Is there any way he could be better or more accurate? I was also wondering if there is a way t remove the crumbs on his hair. If not, he's ready to bake.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
cattlecollector

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyWed 25 Dec 2013, 23:07

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
I always called the "sweeps" shovels, and I think that's the correct term though I may be wrong. Anyways, yes they have two shovels on the front of their antlers, though they can be very differently shaped, not always symmetrical.
That's what I always called them too. The reindeer/caribou uses them as the name implies to "shovel" away snow to reach feed.
Great job, he looks great. His legs could be a bit longer though.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 Dec 2013, 02:31

Yeah, we discussed the leg thing before. I don't like it, but because of the structure I cannot make them longer (or shorter, if I wanted to). In my defense, I think domestic reindeer have shorter legs. Anyway, Thanks. Since I don't see any glaringly obvious anatomical flaws, I guess he's ready to bake. I think I'll bake him tomorrow, and I hope I'm able to post pics here. Have a great holiday.
 rendeer rendeer rendeer 
Back to top Go down
cattlecollector

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 Dec 2013, 03:31

Geospiza fortis wrote:
Yeah, we discussed the leg thing before. I don't like it, but because of the structure I cannot make them longer (or shorter, if I wanted to). In my defense, I think domestic reindeer have shorter legs. Anyway, Thanks. Since I don't see any glaringly obvious anatomical flaws, I guess he's ready to bake. I think I'll bake him tomorrow, and I hope I'm able to post pics here. Have a great holiday.
 rendeer rendeer rendeer 
No need to defend yourself, he looks great!  Applause The legs on some reindeer are shorter.  rendeer 
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 Dec 2013, 04:40

As I have said before about other models, each animal is unique, they do not all look the same. I love your reindeer.  Very Happy Can't wait to see him painted!  bounce rendeer 

Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 Dec 2013, 04:49

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
I love your reindeer.  Very Happy Can't wait to see him painted!  bounce rendeer 

Thanks. I always like the way each individual is different, since it makes overall scale a lot easier. He will be painted soon. If I bake him tomorrow he should get his first coat of white, as my penguins are getting their second. Currently in the works are an identical pair of dolphins, for a friend and I.
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 Dec 2013, 05:48

Quote :
Is there any way he could be better or more accurate? I was also wondering if there is a way t remove the crumbs on his hair. If not, he's ready to bake.  Wink 

Can remove the crumbs carefully with the tip if a pin, wipe pin clean after each spot is fixed. Alternatively you can brush most off after baking, but I prefer the first method even though it's time consuming.
Back to top Go down
http://www.minizoo.com.au/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 Dec 2013, 07:28

I LOVE your reindeer ! He is full of charm and personality  cheers 

The second penguin is lovely also, but I still find the first one fantastic  Applause 

Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyThu 26 Dec 2013, 22:01

Thank you for the info and comment. He's baked now. I have a question, though, now that he's baked, I tried to cut off the little bit of the wire which was running out of the feet, and There's still a tiny bit left. enough to hold him above the ground a little. I tried cutting this little bit off of the hind legs and they both split in half at the cleft in the hoof. Mad  The front legs are still suspended above the ground. Is there a way to cut the wire so that it is smooth with the bottom of the foot? I can't paint him until I figure out a solution. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Dec 2013, 09:37

Geospiza fortis wrote:
Thank you for the info and comment. He's baked now. I have a question, though, now that he's baked, I tried to cut off the little bit of the wire which was running out of the feet, and There's still a tiny bit left. enough to hold him above the ground a little. I tried cutting this little bit off of the hind legs and they both split in half at the cleft in the hoof.  Mad  The front legs are still suspended above the ground. Is there a way to cut the wire so that it is smooth with the bottom of the foot? I can't paint him until I figure out a solution. Thanks.

Instead of cutting try filing with a small metal file  Smile 
Back to top Go down
http://www.minizoo.com.au/
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Dec 2013, 11:04

Nice reindeer too  cheers cheers cheers cheers 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 EmptyFri 27 Dec 2013, 14:44

Thanks for the comment and assistance. I am only learning (as you can obviously see from my product), so I don't yet have a proper procedure for everything figured out yet.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models
Page 2 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next