Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models

Go down 
+41
Mgarat
LeeAnn
MiniZoo
widukind
costicuba
SUSANNE
Ana
Saarlooswolfhound
Kikimalou
Roger
Wilorvise
A.R.Garcia
Geospiza fortis
littlebear
Bloodrayne
Dum_my
Tarunyada
Carola
signatus
ulinuk
Shanti
Bonobo
lucky luke
Fisva
Noémi
Florian
kudu11
Zelvik
SyLoBe
koniminiatures
elephas_maximus
Defteros
JonasV
cattlecollector
animalluvr6
Philter4
bjarki12
trevok4
A-J
Joan Milelire
HKHollinstone
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 12:47 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Only thing I see a little wrong (since you want to represent it off of a specific individual not just the species in general) is the hindquarters look a little short, I would put a little more muscling onto the back. Then the stomach doesn't lineup with the neck beard, the hair on the beard surpasses the depth of the "barrel" (stomach area) on a bison. Otherwise, its a splendid figure and I can't wait to see it done.

Those are exactly my words  Applause Applause 

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 12:54 am

Glad I could help Geospiza.
4U:  Embarassed I just know my N.A. wildlife, Yellowstone National Park is fairly close to where I live so we go fairly often and the bison are probably the icon of the park. One in particular (we named him Presley after Elvis since he had a lot of hair down to his ankles making him look a little like the guy) used to clog traffic when he would make semiannual travels down the West Road... he would just strut right down the median and not a single truck bothered him, he never charged one, and he just walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and... well you get the idea.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 1:03 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
4U:  Embarassed I just know my N.A. wildlife, Yellowstone National Park is fairly close to where I live so we go fairly often and the bison are probably the icon of the park. One in particular (we named him Presley after Elvis since he had a lot of hair down to his ankles making him look a little like the guy) used to clog traffic when he would make semiannual travels down the West Road... he would just strut right down the median and not a single truck bothered him, he never charged one, and he just walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and... well you get the idea.

Laughing Laughing Sounds like a lot of fun!

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 1:10 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:

I think I remember hearing from someone a similar story. Perhaps it was the same one. By the way, you are so lucky to live in such proximity to this amazing American landmark.
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 2:31 am

It's been a while, but I just started a gorilla. What do you think of it?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(Sorry again for the consecutive posting)
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 3:45 am

Good start - you seem busy with lots of projects. It's great to see!
Back to top Go down
http://www.minizoo.com.au/
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 4:20 am

Thanks- and yes I am busy with lots. It keeps me from becoming bored with any one particular piece.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 5:10 am

Nice and peaceful gorilla  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 8:19 am

Also great figurine  cheers cheers 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 2:46 pm

Looks good! I like it, good pose! Applause 

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Thank you^^^

The pose is based off of the big male at the Smithsonian National Zoo when I saw him.
Back to top Go down
Zelvik

Zelvik

Country/State : czech republic

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 7:01 pm

Very nice gorilla! Smile 
Back to top Go down
http://safafariparkpodklicem.wz.cz
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 4:20 am

Thank you, Zelvik.

I have just tonight finished painting the penguins. Here they are, male, with his neck extended upwards, and female:

I had also modified my female bison as was suggested, here she is:

Lastly, I am almost finished with my black rhino. Before I texture him, I was wondering if there are any details I need to correct, or if there is anything anyone thinks I should change him in any way:

Perhaps I should make a Sir David Attenborough figure to accompany all of my animals?  lol!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 8:58 am

SO many wonderful models ! WOW  affraid 

I am sure Sir Attenborough would be honoured to join them  cheers 

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 2:08 pm

So many great sculpts! Shocked I LOVE those penguins! I love you drunken

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 3:00 pm

They're turning out wonderful, great job!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 8:37 pm

Wonderful  cheers cheers cheers cheers 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
cattlecollector

Country/State : U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Very nice models. My one suggestion would be that the bison cow is to blocky and large. That model looks very well suited for a bull, but a bison cow has a slightly more slender body, a less pronounced hump, and sometimes no beard at all. These are just suggestions. Keep up the great work.  cheers cheers Applause Applause 

An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. When life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it is going to launch you into something great. So just focus, and keep aiming. (One of my favorite archery quotes)
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Thank you all for your comments.
As for what you said, Cattlecollector, I do agree, the typical female bison looks a lot like this:
[Not my image]
It has the characteristics you mentioned. The bison I am modeling this after lived in a zoo, so that might be the reason she looked different. I think she was 14 or 15 when she died.
There aren't many pictures on the 'net, but I linked to one earlier:
Esther (which is her name) is on the farthest right. I thank you, though for your feedback.   Wink
I do, however, think I see some areas which do need thinning out.
Back to top Go down
kudu11

kudu11

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 12:08 am

Everything looks great. I love the penguins and the gorilla. However, I do have some suggestions for the Rhino. First the shoulder should be moved back. Also the each pair of legs are too far apart, for instance the front leg pair is too far apart. Another issue with the legs is that the calves and knees need to be moved forward. Lastly the stomach droops a little too low near the front legs. Otherwise the rhino looks great.
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 2:00 am

kudu11 wrote:
First the shoulder should be moved back.
Thank you, I the photo I was using for the pose was at an angle- I'll fix that easily.

kudu11 wrote:
Also the each pair of legs are too far apart, for instance the front leg pair is too far apart.
I'm a bit apprehensive about fixing that, but I might if I feel confident enough one of these days. About how much narrower do you think they have to be?

kudu11 wrote:
Another issue with the legs is that the calves and knees need to be moved forward.

Noted- I'll take care of that.

kudu11 wrote:
the stomach droops a little too low near the front legs.
I'll look into that as well.

Thanks for the anatomy tips. I'm sure I'll do more this time than I did with my reindeer, even if it takes me another few months. Joking aside, I started this in October or November of last year. But I will be sure to attempt to fix my errors. Thanks again.

EDIT: Hey, Ethan, I did a quick slice-n'-dice with his front legs only. Is this more what you meant:

Last edited by Geospiza fortis on Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add Update)
Back to top Go down
kudu11

kudu11

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 4:52 am

Looks good, yeah that is what I meant with the front legs. I made a black rhino my self, this is a link to the page https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t8495p15-black-rhino-update , Harriet post some great front view pictures of a rhino that I think could be helpful to you on page 2. Sorry I am currently just too busy with exams to post the pictures here myself.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 5:26 am

Congratuation for your penguins  Applause 

kudu11 wrote:
Looks good, yeah that is what I meant with the front legs. I made a black rhino my self, this is a link to the page https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t8495p15-black-rhino-update , Harriet post some great front view pictures of a rhino that I think could be helpful to you on page 2. Sorry I am currently just too busy with exams to post the pictures here myself.

Here they are  Wink  I hope it help.

Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 10:38 am

The penguins have a good paint job! And the rhino is amazing! Well done!

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Thanks, I'll be sure to use the images.

I did a little as shown in the images, I'm not completely finished with the modifications, but I just wanted to share a few pictures.
Rhino:
Frontal:
I also made progress on my Western Gorilla:
I also started a Komodo Dragon, next to his Schleich counterpart:
He's going to be standing a little more erect in the front, I'm not sure about making his mouth open.  
Thanks again for all of the advice, positive comments, and reference pictures throughout my thread, I appreciate it a lot.

Last edited by Geospiza fortis on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:34 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : add frontal picture/change info)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models
Page 4 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next