Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino

Go down 
+28
Dum_my
MiniZoo
Tarunyada
lucky luke
donny ong
Saarlooswolfhound
Elephants Rule
arafan
Carola
ken yeo
PeGe
Numa
bjarki12
signatus
kudu11
Ana
Geospiza fortis
miniNature
littlebear
JonasV
Joan Milelire
LeeAnn
HKHollinstone
widukind
Florian
Kikimalou
Philter4
elephas_maximus
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 3:36 am

Kikimalou wrote:
I especially like the walking pose!
Me too

This is such a clever program, I love that elephant pose with her foot up.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 9:55 pm

The elephants are fantastic well done! However, is there any chance of posting a photo of your model alongside a schleich model just to help with the size comparison? I am ashamed to say that I have never really understood when people talk in scaled i.e. 1:22 or 1:32!

thank you :-)
Back to top Go down
Philter4

Philter4

Country/State : Back and forth between East and West coast of the U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Numaan, scale is easy, it is just a reference to the size of the model compared to life, 1:22 means 1 inch on the model is 22 inches in life, and 1:32 means 1 inch on the model is 32 in life. Basically the larger the second number the smaller the figure, for instance 1:48 is smaller then 1:32 because at 1 inch being 4 ft is smaller then 1 inch being 32 inches.

I know that still doesn't help as far as a visual reference compared to a name brand figure but if you can picture a Schleich zebra stallion at 1:22 and compare that to a live zebra in your mind and compare the size to an elephant you'll get the general idea.
Back to top Go down
http://philter4@d-web.com
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 2:27 am

Numaan wrote:
The elephants are fantastic well done! However, is there any chance of posting a photo of your model alongside a schleich model just to help with the size comparison? I am ashamed to say that I have never really understood when people talk in scaled i.e. 1:22 or 1:32!

thank you :-)

Hi Numaan,
I think Phil explained scale nicely.

Dimensions:
RE001-1:22 scale Indian elephant cow (8 ft)  11.5 x 15.9 cm
RE002-1:22 scale Indian elephant calf (3.9 ft) 6 x 7.6 cm

Here are the models next to the Schleich elephants.
New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 11883645764_7689d936db_o

New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 11884056276_82a36918d7_o
Back to top Go down
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/redelephant
Philter4

Philter4

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 2:01 pm

My elephant figures left Shapeways yesterday and are scheduled to be delivered by end of day on Friday the 17th, a full week earlier then estimated!!!
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 8:32 pm

Philter4 wrote:
My elephant figures left Shapeways yesterday and are scheduled to be delivered by end of day on Friday the 17th, a full week earlier then estimated!!!

I'm glad your order has been shipped, please share pictures when they arrive.

For those asking about the male, I have uploaded a large Indian bull to my shop:
RE003-1:22 scale Indian elephant bull (9 ft)  13 x 21.9 cm

New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 11918791035_6966000589_c

New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 11919666476_d3885aa990_c
Back to top Go down
Numa
Numa

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks for explaining the scales guys - now I understand how the scaling system works. I have read numerous texts in the past but nothing has been explained as well as you have just now. Thank you.

So I have some more questions:

1) How easy is it to create 3D models? I was also investigating the shapeways website a month ago and find the concept really interesting and frankly quite exciting. This opens up the possibility of one being able to create and infinite number of animal models! Although painting is the more complicated part.

2) What other animals do you have planned in the future? Any more of the hoofed variety? I would love to see an accurate handsome male Okapi.

3) A white version is fine as an ornament but I am hopefully as painting, can shape ways not provide a painted version?  Very Happy  Very Happy 

anyway thanks for this. I love your work and will be following closely.
Back to top Go down
PeGe

PeGe

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks for this opportunity althought the price is quite high for an unpainted but flawless and fantastic model. To me, 50 Euros should be enogh for the bull as you can endlessly sell copies,...I guess i need the whole asian family,...and whatever else,...

elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 4:45 pm

Numaan wrote:
Thanks for explaining the scales guys - now I understand how the scaling system works.  I have read numerous texts in the past but nothing has been explained as well as you have just now.  Thank you.

So I have some more questions:

1)How easy is it to create 3D models? I was also investigating the shapeways website a month ago and find the concept really interesting and frankly quite exciting.  This opens up the possibility of one being able to create and infinite number of animal models! Although painting is the more complicated part.

2)What other animals do you have planned in the future? Any more of the hoofed variety?  I would love to see an accurate handsome male Okapi.

3) A white version is fine as an ornament but I am hopefully as painting, can shape ways not provide a painted version?  Very Happy  Very Happy 

anyway thanks for this. I love your work and will be following closely.

1) It takes a bit of time to learn the software, depending on how tech savvy you are.  Yes this is very exciting technology and many models can be sculpted more easily than with traditional methods.

2)-Javan rhino
-African forest elephant
-Bornean Pygmy elephant
-possibly Grevy's zebra
-I will look into some rare hoofed animals

3)Yes unfortunately 3D printing is limited in the colour aspect at this time.  There are coloured 3D prints but the final look is not as nice as with regular acrylic paints, the colours are less intense and muted.  I know a lot of people don't like painting their figures but I wanted to offer my models for those who do paint.

PeGe wrote:
Thanks for this opportunity althought the price is quite high for an unpainted but flawless and fantastic model. To me, 50 Euros should be enogh for the bull as you can endlessly sell copies,...I guess i need the whole asian family,...and whatever else,...

I agree with you about the price, unfortunately 3D printing is expensive at the moment.  Please let me explain how shapeways works, the price for each model is not the full amount the artist makes.  When you upload a design to Shapeways a base price is calculated for the cost of manufacturing then the seller (myself) adds a slight markup to the item to make a profit.

For example:
1)I upload a model for sale and the Shapeways system calculates it will cost $20 to produce in the factory.

2)I set a markup price so I make a bit of money off my design, say $5.  I keep in mind that this markup can not be too high or the end price will be too unreasonable for customers.

3)The final price to the customer will be $25,
but I will only get $5 for every sale
with Shapeways making $20.

Shapeways is not ideal for selling models if your end goal is to make a decent profit, yes they will manufacture and ship the models for you but they also take a large percentage of revenue.  I just thought I would still offer my models to those who are willing to pay the higher prices and paint them themselves.

Ideally I would mould my own pieces in resin then paint them for customers but due to my schedule that is not possible at the moment.

I hope that explains more about how this 3D printing shop works.
Back to top Go down
Numa
Numa

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 7:44 am

elephas_maximus wrote:

Ideally I would mould my own pieces in resin then paint them for customers but due to my schedule that is not possible at the moment.

I hope that explains more about how this 3D printing shop works.

Thanks for the explanation, it is very much appreciated. So whilst you make $5 as per your example Shapeways I am sure probably make $10 but alas that is the nature of business. I do envisage the costs going down over time anyway as 3D printing becomes more popular.

However I AM very much interested in purchasing a painted version (just like the one in your pictures) directly from you in the future so when that does become a possibility please keep us posted - the price will hopefully be a little lower and with it being painted that is a bonus. Please reserve the first painted version for me now  Very Happy Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Numa
Numa

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 7:48 am

Can I suggest a Tamaraw and a Kouprey along with a Ghoral?
Back to top Go down
Philter4

Philter4

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 6:22 pm

Another thing you guys may not understand about prices, Andrew spent hours on the computer inputting the drawing in a form that Shapeways printers can use to create he figure, not only is this time consuming and requires training and skill but the programs can sometimes cost hundreds of dollars to buy depending on the brand and copyright. His work is well worth the time yet he takes a fraction of the cost so collectors can get a great price.

I know a lot about the cost of custom figures, every one of my figures for my diorama is custom, either a one of a kind or a copy like the forest buffalo pair just now becoming available from Harriet and Ana, Andrew's figures are hollow and unpainted, but quite a bargain for the price!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 12:04 am

Philter4 wrote:
Another thing you guys may not understand about prices, Andrew spent hours on the computer inputting the drawing in a form that Shapeways printers can use to create he figure, not only is this time consuming and requires training and skill but the programs can sometimes cost hundreds of dollars to buy depending on the brand and copyright.  His work is well worth the time yet he takes a fraction of the cost so collectors can get a great price.  

I know a lot about the cost of custom figures, every one of my figures for my diorama is custom, either a one of a kind or a copy like the forest buffalo pair just now becoming available from Harriet and Ana, Andrew's figures are hollow and unpainted, but quite a bargain for the price!

I agree with you Phil  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 1:04 am

Numaan wrote:
Thanks for the explanation, it is very much appreciated.  So whilst you make $5 as per your example Shapeways I am sure probably make $10 but alas that is the nature of business.  I do envisage the costs going down over time anyway as 3D printing becomes more popular.

However I AM very much interested in purchasing a painted version (just like the one in your pictures) directly from you in the future so when that does become a possibility please keep us posted - the price will hopefully be a little lower and with it being painted that is a bonus.  Please reserve the first painted version for me now  Very Happy Very Happy 
Numaan wrote:
Can I suggest a Tamaraw and a Kouprey along with a Ghoral?

Hopefully the price will go down in the future as the technology becomes more available to everyone.  
As a guideline, any other species I create in the future will be less than the cost of the elephants as price is determined by model size.  I will keep your suggestions in mind, thank you.

Philter4 wrote:
Another thing you guys may not understand about prices, Andrew spent hours on the computer inputting the drawing in a form that Shapeways printers can use to create he figure, not only is this time consuming and requires training and skill but the programs can sometimes cost hundreds of dollars to buy depending on the brand and copyright.  His work is well worth the time yet he takes a fraction of the cost so collectors can get a great price.  

Phil, thank you for bringing up those points they are absolutely true.  Every artist puts a lot of time and effort into their creations and it is nice to see you acknowledge this aspect, I know you yourself know all about this with the wonderful plants you create.  Yes, the software is pricey for this kind of work, I wish it were cheaper, but I like the possibilities it creates over traditional clay.

Kikimalou wrote:

I agree with you Phil  Very Happy 

Thanks Christophe for your support.
Back to top Go down
ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 11:51 pm

I think your price is OK! I do quite a bit of 3d in the past and know a lot of time consuming just adjust and texturing can be painful too!

widukind

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 11:37 am

cheers cheers cheers cheers 

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 5:58 pm

ken yeo wrote:
I think your price is OK! I do quite a bit of 3d in the past and know a lot of time consuming just adjust and texturing can be painful too!

widukind wrote:
cheers cheers cheers cheers 

Thanks Ken and Andreas!
Back to top Go down
elephas_maximus

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 10:59 pm

I've just added two new elephant models to my shop.
-a new stockier adult Indian cow
-a larger young bull calf

Javan rhino is next!

New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 12399331523_24923aa366_o
Back to top Go down
Philter4

Philter4

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 11:50 pm

I already recieved my pair. Here they are right after I got them. I've washed and put the first coat of paint but I haven't taken any other pictures of them yet.
New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 Aeecad3d96a7c883db3fded400a58189

New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 Ff128cb6f6beee66aadba5606c5100e8
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 3:01 am

They are phantastic Phil!!

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 7:38 am

Stunning! cheers cheers cheers

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 10:01 am

She's gorgeous! The calf is so cute too.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Florian

Florian

Country/State : Belgium , Plateau de Herve

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 11:21 am

I love your oliphants. It's really sad that you don't make oliphants with a holowing body. sunny sunny 

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 11:58 am

The new cow and young are also amazing! Very beautiful! sunny

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 12:03 pm

The new ones are fabulous cheers cheers 

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino   New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New 3D models and shop: *New Bull Javan Rhino
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next