Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Braids and other fun for horses :-)

Go down 
+13
Dum_my
persefone
Arnaud
NightLioness
Roger
koniminiatures
JonasV
widukind
Ana
LeeAnn
Carola
bojan
SUSANNE
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
koniminiatures

koniminiatures

Country/State : Finland

Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 5:09 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback - I'm glad so many found the little writeup interesting. My thanks, of course, to Susanne for starting the thread in the first place and supplying such good pictures of the models and their adornments! Also, I must note I didn't mean to hijack the thread - my post got a bit out of hand, swelling in length as I wrote.

Ana wrote:
Living in The Netherlands I should know KWPN's  inspection traditions better  Embarassed
You're one lucky woman to live so (relatively) near to all those glorious keurings and studs, trekpaard shows and riding competitions...! I tell you, I'd have a mind (if not the funds) to one day go tour the equestrian centrals of mainland Europe. From a Finnish point of view it seems you have all those magnificent and unusually historic breeds, events and large studs all bundled up closely neighbouring each other, even if in different countries.. The Friesians and sports horses of the Netherlands, the German and French heavy draughts, Lipizzans and Kladrubers and Koniks and Shagyas... It's downright unfair! Laughing 

Ana wrote:
I've just come back again to your article Lea, it's super interesting, especially oldest records of braiding in ancient art, it's amazing. Thanks again!  cheers
I'm glad you liked it! For a lot of info, reconstructions and links on the subject of equestrian culture in ancient times, check out this excellent blog - be warned, though, the place is a time warp. You'll emerge seven hours later with your intrigue none lessened.

Roger wrote:
Thanks Susanne for opening this thread and Lea for your very interesting imput! cheers
We spend all time trying to save these figures, or because it is not impossible or because it is not as bad as in catalogue pictures. Honestly, I second what Ana's saying. I don't have anything against braided horses although I think that free manes and tails are characteristics that make horses look so beautiful. If Schleich was releasing a little number of braided horses it was acceptable but it is too much. This year, for me, the Frisian was enough once it is the only one I like the braids, alsoif it was the only braided, it would turn her somewhat special and now she is only one more among many of them.
I also think that some of these horses are really bad sculpts and braids work as a distracting thing.

I quite agree with Roger on the abundance of braids and gimmicks on the recent Schleich releases being a bit much. I also think the sculpts are pretty atrocious and the braids seem to be used to try and hide this. Still, now that we have all those braids, I suppose it couldn't hurt to take a closer look - even if not in their (or the afflicted models') defense entirely.

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 9:29 am

jonesee wrote:
Thanks/kiitos Lea cheers  Susanne, Bullyland Westphalian mare 2013, Dressage Westphalian and Arabian mare with equipment? Wink

Ohhh, of course  Shocked How COULD I forget Bullyland ?  Embarassed 

Bullyland Arabian mare :
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bullyland Westphalian dressage horse :

Bullyland Westphalian mare :

Bullyland Trakehner gelding :

Bullyland Hanoveranian gelding, Don Johnson :

Thankyou, Jonas  flower

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 10:06 am

koniminiatures wrote:
......... Also, I must note I didn't mean to hijack the thread - my post got a bit out of hand, swelling in length as I wrote.

No, no, no ! Of course you didn't !!! This is a brilliant example of teamwork  cheers cheers cheers 

persefone

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm a horserider and also a horselover and I prefer ''natural'' horses, I mean without braids... I have to admit brands has to make new ''things'' for getting some new figures... but they must investigate and make serious things...

For example, Andalusian mare. In Spain andalusian mares don't have this braids; they are usually with very short mains because they don't live in boxes (-usually in the field or mount-) as you can see here (''cobra'' of Yeguada Cárdenas -Fuego's owner-) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 9:01 am

Good point, Persefone !!!
Thankyou for this information  Applause 

Dum_my

Dum_my

Country/State : Nederland

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:40 am

I do think braids are OK, but i only think they are if there is NO pink of other very ''loud'' color is used to make them more girly ore something. Ans i just can't help myself to tink they are doing a very bad paint job on the most braids (like the braids on teh haflinger mare in this topic) I almost can not buy horses from the stores here because of the bad paint jobs, i just want the perfect one and all of them seem to my like they are painted in a hurry!

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 3:20 pm

Dum_my wrote:
I do think braids are OK, but i only think they are if there is NO pink of other very ''loud'' color is used to make them more girly ore something. Ans i just can't help myself to tink they are doing a very bad paint job on the most braids (like the braids on teh haflinger mare in this topic) I almost can not buy horses from the stores here because of the bad paint jobs, i just want the perfect one and all of them seem to my like they are painted in a hurry!

You are so right ! That poor haflinger mare  Crying or Very sad 

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Braiding on a model horse replica isn’t a new theme. Back in 1966 Britains released their plastic version of their Suffolk Mare and this featured a braided mane and tail. Has been stated above work horses in Britain have this done as part of tradition and for performing work.

Britains 2108 Suffolk Mare 1 by Chris*4, on Flickr

Originally issued in hollow cast metal from 1946 to 1959. So this model has been around for a while.  Very Happy 

Sumo

Sumo

Country/State : Norway

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 6:59 pm

SUSANNE wrote:

The Schleich Trakhener mare from this year :

[hijack]Is this photo accurate? Is this what passes for a neck in Schleichs nowadays? Holee crap... [/hijack]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Thankyou, Chris Very Happy

Sumo wrote:

[hijack]Is this photo accurate? Is this what passes for a neck in Schleichs nowadays? Holee crap... [/hijack]

She is not a horse, she is horaffe  alien Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Sumo

Sumo

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Man, from the catalog pics I thought this one at least had potential... *grumble* I wish their sculptor knew how to sculpt something - anything - besides hair.  Evil or Very Mad 

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks Chris, that is again a very interesting contribution. Curious that it is a Suffolk mare, the same breed Ana sculpted for Mojo being released this year. The figure is wonderful, I like a lot the volumes and proportions. Very Happy

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 11:57 pm

SUSANNE wrote:

Roger wrote:
Thanks Chris, that is again a very interesting contribution. Curious that it is a Suffolk mare, the same breed Ana sculpted for Mojo being released this year. The figure is wonderful, I like a lot the volumes and proportions. Very Happy

A pleasure to share Susanne and Roger. Perhaps Roger Anna was inspired by this model.  Very Happy  And now a bonus shot of a close-up of Britains Suffolk Mare:

Britains 2108 Suffolk Mare 5 by Chris*4, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
Carola

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 6:09 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Braiding on a model horse replica isn’t a new theme. Back in 1966 Britains released their plastic version of their Suffolk Mare and this featured a braided mane and tail. Has been stated above work horses in Britain have this done as part of tradition and for performing work.

Originally issued in hollow cast metal from 1946 to 1959. So this model has been around for a while.  Very Happy 

WOW she is beautiful!  drunken I wish Schleich could just sculpt like that, in Schleich size and then with rich texture and paintwork drunken What a dream!

JonasV

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 1:48 pm

Carola wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:

WOW she is beautiful!  drunken I wish Schleich could just sculpt like that, in Schleich size and then with rich texture and paintwork drunken What a dream!

Yeah, what a beautiful model horse! Lots of details and it's head with the exception of the very gorgeous cheers 
Thanks for sharing Chris!

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sumo

Sumo

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 5:57 pm

Gorgeous Suffolk mare! Very Happy I have a book on draft horse showing that has a lot of great pics of the various braiding styles. Turns out there's a style for each breed, which is rather helpful for collectors when it comes to deciding whether a particular model should be shown as, say, a Shire or a Clyde.

Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 10:32 pm

Many thanks Carola, Jonas and Sumo.  Very Happy 

I too am amazed at the detail Britains put into their toy figures. Their sculptors were masters at getting the pose and details just right.

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 10:20 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:

Roger wrote:

A pleasure to share Susanne and Roger. Perhaps Roger Anna was inspired by this model.  Very Happy  And now a bonus shot of a close-up of Britains Suffolk Mare:

Oh, actually I wasn't aware of this model  Embarassed , I should know Britains figures better but I mainly know Britains which appear on forum more often.
I think it's lovely figure indeed!  cheers  Interesting they painted mane and tail black (or very very dark brown), it's not very often seen in chestnut horses.
Anyway, now I feel inspired! Maybe I will remake mane on one copy of my Suffolk mare to have similar braids like this one Very Happy
And, as Suffolks are one of my favourite horse breeds I think I will search this Britains figure to my collection Very Happy

Sumo wrote:
Gorgeous Suffolk mare! Very Happy I have a book on draft horse showing that has a lot of great pics of the various braiding styles. Turns out there's a style for each breed, which is rather helpful for collectors when it comes to deciding whether a particular model should be shown as, say, a Shire or a Clyde.

Wow, such a book must be really interesting! Could you send few images here? I would be especially happy to see what's typical for Suffolk Punch Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SyLoBe

SyLoBe

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 10:26 pm

Thanks for your explanation about braiding Lea! Really interesting :)

Visit my art gallery at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I accept commissions!
Back to top Go down
http://sylobe.deviantart.com
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Ana wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:

Roger wrote:

Oh, actually I wasn't aware of this model  Embarassed , I should know Britains figures better but I mainly know Britains which appear on forum more often.
I think it's lovely figure indeed!  cheers  Interesting they painted mane and tail black (or very very dark brown), it's not very often seen in chestnut horses.
Anyway, now I feel inspired! Maybe I will remake mane on one copy of my Suffolk mare to have similar braids like this one Very Happy
And, as Suffolks are one of my favourite horse breeds I think I will search this Britains figure to my collection Very Happy

Anna

Please accept my apologies. I honestly thought that you have seen Britains' Suffolk Mare before. It is a fairly common model but perhaps my images were the first ones on STS?

I have just looked at some real Suffolk horses on the net and I agree that Britains colour combination is strange.

Hopefully, these images have inspired you to do a version with braided mane and tail. There are a number of images on the net that show this in detail.

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 8:55 am

Ana wrote:
.....  Interesting they painted mane and tail black (or very very dark brown), it's not very often seen in chestnut horses.

You are so right. A horse with black mane/tail is NOT chestnut, it is bay  Laughing 

That is the phaenotype definition of a chestnut, - the mane/tail is never darker that the body.
Geneticly a chestnut is ee, which means " not-black". This means that black colour is as impossible as it is that she would grow a trunk  lol! 

koniminiatures

koniminiatures

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 9:33 am

Chestnuts can have a mane and tail darker than their body colour; even still, it won't be black (even though it can look pretty black) - it'll be just another shade of pheomelanin brown like here, here (scroll down a bit to the trotting Laramie) or here. Chestnuts can also have a near-gray manes like here or here.

Also, here are some Suffolks done up:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.

Last edited by koniminiatures on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://koni.weebly.com/
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 9:50 am

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Ana wrote:
Chris Sweetman wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:

Roger wrote:

Anna

Please accept my apologies. I honestly thought that you have seen Britains' Suffolk Mare before. It is a fairly common model but perhaps my images were the first ones on STS?

I have just looked at some real Suffolk horses on the net and I agree that Britains colour combination is strange.

Hopefully, these images have inspired you to do a version with braided mane and tail. There are a number of images on the net that show this in detail.

Dear Chris,
I don't see reason you should apologise me for. If I knew this figure earlier it would surely be one of my favourite Very Happy and probably would inspire me too. Now I'm thinking about some braids for my Suffolk mare, just to see if it suits her Very Happy

If I would say about inspiration for this Mojo mare other than Suffolks photos I would mention old Schleich chestnut draft mare, I like this figure very much. Very Happy

I'm not sure if it's first time when the model is shown on forum, but it must be first photo showing this figure individually here, probably. I think wild animals of Britains are more often to see on STS, farm animals we see only form time to time. And of course i didn't know Britains before I joined this forum (I think we've never had this company in Polish toy shops, except, of course Chinese  poor  copies )  Smile

SUSANNE wrote:
Ana wrote:
.....  Interesting they painted mane and tail black (or very very dark brown), it's not very often seen in chestnut horses.

You are so right. A horse with black mane/tail is NOT chestnut, it is bay  Laughing 

That is the phaenotype definition of a chestnut, - the mane/tail is never darker that the body.
Geneticly a chestnut is ee, which means " not-black". This means that black colour is as impossible as it is that she would grow a trunk  lol! 

Yes, I know normally chestnut don't have black mane but I mean maybe it was very very dark brown.
Also, I knew horse with black mane and tail would be bay but this figure has no black on legs as bay horse would. That's why I was thinking perhaps they showing horse of the colour like on Lea's photos (these I would say have probably very dark brown coloured mane and tail scratch)  Also I though chestnut because it's described as Suffolk Punch-they are only chestnut.

BTW, I wonder about so called sooty,  something like sooty chestnut horse would also have dozen of black hair?  study 

koniminiatures wrote:
Chestnuts can have a mane and tail darker than their body colour; even still, it won't be black (even though it can look pretty black) - it'll be just another shade of pheomelanin brown like here, here (scroll down a bit to the trotting Laramie) or here. Chestnuts can also have a near-gray manes like here or here.

Very interesting examples, thank you for sharing Lea! I wonder if Britains company wanted to show Suffolk in this shade of chestnut or they confused bay with chestnut  a bit?

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 10:24 am

Yes, many chestnuts have some dark chestnut hairs in the tail.

koniminiatures wrote:
....... Chestnuts can also have a near-gray manes like here or here.

Those are bays  with silver mane/tail Wink

This one : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is silver dappeled black, it is certainly not a chestnut Wink

Anna, not all bays have black legs. And certainly not model horses  Laughing  They are called aguti bays..for some strange reason Very Happy

Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 10:42 am

Ha, so now I'm very confused! :shock:I didn't know about bays without any black on legs, I heard only about some of them having less black than others (wild bay or something like that?) So this information is like "wow" for me! Very Happy 
Then this horse is it "aguti bay" or chestnut with almost black mane? From all photos this one looks most similar to the Britains Suffolk  scratch

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Braids and other fun for horses :-)   Braids and other fun for horses :-) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Braids and other fun for horses :-)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next