Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo

Go down 
+5
Fes
JonasV
Roger
LeeAnn
Rosalba
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Rosalba

Country/State : The Netherlands

Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo Empty
PostSubject: Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo   Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 7:55 pm

So, I am new to this forum, and it seems now my membership will pay off immediately, being able to consult you experts on this matter.
See, since I've been seven I've been some of an on-and-off collector of Schleich figurines. I've always consented upon only buying the ones that appeal to me most. Lately though, Schleich has made a change and I partially like what they are doing, but I now also feel like it is time for me to look around me and widen my horizon. This is the very first time I will buy a collectible that is non-Schleich. As our wonderful local store has a decent stock of Papo, and that brand seems to be developing for the better, I have chosen to go for Papo.
I really have to watch my spending habits as money is not readily on hand, but I am trying for just one Papo figurine for now. Just to see how I feel about owning it, and its style. There are some things I am looking for:
Things I like about Schleich are:
texture, size, quality of the product (strength and factory finish) and the 'atmosphere' (that last one is tricky, of course).
What I would additionally look for in a Papo model:
less 'cuteness factor' (a little can be dealt with), interesting pose, a 'lively' look.
Ideally, there would be a figurine out there that at least partially combines these virtues. I know I am being very picky, but as this will be my first Papo purchase, I want it to be special. Perhaps some of you have more collecting/owning experience with the available (so not retired) line of Papo, and could advise me on my very first model? I have a lot of horses in my current collection but wildlife serves fine as well, especially mammals.
Thanks for reading this way too long topic :)
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo   Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Papo is best known for their big cats, as well as the dogs. However, I say look at what the store has on the shelves, and buy what catches your eye! Very Happy If you pick something simply based off what other people like, you could be disappointed. Buy what you like, that's the best way to collect (and IMHO, the only way Wink )

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo   Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 8:10 pm

welcome om forum amd it is impressive how many Dutch members we have! Shocked
it was actually Papo the responsible for turning me into a collector.
I think horses are not the ideal as a first Papo but from wildlife you have several with these characteristics. I recomend without amy doubts their walking lioness, more lifelike amd seducing is impossible. cat

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo   Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 8:18 pm

Thank you for the kind and quick replies! Yes, collectors of Holland are well represented here :) I think mainly because you can buy Schleich at almost every toy store here (though I despise your average, modern toy store...)
I agree with you that buying from sight is always the best method. But, maybe some models have a greater durability than others, regarding paint, stance (oh noes, the bending of legs!) and all.
I heard and seen many good things about the big cats from Papo, and I will definitely be on the lookout for them! The lioness holding her cub and the nursing tigress seem like legitimate candidats, too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo   Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo EmptyFri Aug 08, 2014 8:58 pm

Hello again and welcome! Very Happy It's great to get one more member from Holland cheers 
I agree those things you said.. And I think it's very nice you're going to collect also Papo models! What I've seen Papo has absolutely beautiful models. Their horses are very unique, interesting poses that you really wanna look them more than just one second (like schleich's..).. The horses aren't maybe the best ones if you think about how realistic they're looking, but I think, the horses are worth to buy just because they're Papo's.  Here's some horses I'd recommend:
Anglo-Arab mare. Nice pose, very beautiful head!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Just so beautiful friesian mare Wink
She's definitely better in person, I can't find my own photo but I can recommend her!
There's so many other horses, bic cats, cows, moose, birds.. so much nice stuff where to pick one! Hope I could help you! Good luck  sunny

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Fes

Fes

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo   Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 4:40 pm

I was a Shleich only collector too (couple of hundred or so), but this month decided to test the water and get my first Papo figurines, which seem to have improved since I started collecting.  I was rather taken with their dinosaur models from online images so took the plunge and got three (via online shop, so sight unseen).  I'm very pleased with them - great detail - and am going to get more and a few other wild animals too.  Unfortunately I don't have a shop near me with a good selection to look at (they mostly stock the fantasy models, which I'm not really interested in).
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo   Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 5:44 pm

Hello, Rosalba, and wellcome here !!!  Very Happy 

Papo makes such a lot of great models, it is hard to choose.
And they are addictive ! Roger started his collection with Papo, and then he infected me with a polar bear  affraid 

There is one model ( or really four): The tiger mom with her baby offspring. I LOVE those !
But many others, - their dogs are wonderful, and the cattle ! And their dinos are awesome !

This year they have launched a snow leopard, but I have only seen it in the catalogue.
The Gnu is fabulous, but very large.

The horses are not all very accurate, but some are brilliant. I love the heavy Ardenner, and the Bay Arabian in "Parade dress" :

But as LeeAnn says, - you will have to take a look.
When somebody shows several models, it is very clear that different people like different models, - fortunately Wink

MARTINLATIN

MARTINLATIN

Country/State : CALIFORNIA

PostSubject: Re: Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo   Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 8:00 am

#congrats
Back to top Go down
persefone

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo   Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 10:34 am

jonesee wrote:
Hello again and welcome! Very Happy It's great to get one more member from Holland cheers 
I agree those things you said.. And I think it's very nice you're going to collect also Papo models! What I've seen Papo has absolutely beautiful models. Their horses are very unique, interesting poses that you really wanna look them more than just one second (like schleich's..).. The horses aren't maybe the best ones if you think about how realistic they're looking, but I think, the horses are worth to buy just because they're Papo's.  Here's some horses I'd recommend:
Anglo-Arab mare. Nice pose, very beautiful head!
Just so beautiful friesian mare Wink
She's definitely better in person, I can't find my own photo but I can recommend her!
There's so many other horses, bic cats, cows, moose, birds.. so much nice stuff where to pick one! Hope I could help you! Good luck  sunny

I think Papo learned a lot these two last years. Their first horses aren't the best but they tried breeds and models which are quite ''exotic'' for other brands like Schleich. But their new models are great Wink

I'm sure when I'll finish my schleich horse collection (I hope it will be in 2015) I'll start with Papo!
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo   Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 7:13 pm

I agree you, Persefone! cheers I really like their horses too Very Happy sunny 

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo   Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 10:17 am

Welcome here  Very Happy 

It seems you already have a few advices. The big acts are fantastic, especially tigers and lioness but you could have a look at the anteater, crocodile and male hippo too.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo   Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo Empty

Back to top Go down

Schleich-enthusiast needs some help with Papo
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Animal toy figures reviews and discussions :: Major brands :: Papo-
Jump to: