Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains Mini-Sets

Go down 
+11
Kikimalou
Chris Sweetman
Lennart
WILLYBACOMAN
widukind
Roger
SUSANNE
mreyder
DaveScriv
Taos
smallscaleworld
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

Country/State : Hampshire, UK

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyTue 12 Aug 2014, 20:12

I can't find a thread on these (please move if there is one!), so thought I'd start one, but I've only got the one photograph, so will leave it to others to top-up the story!

Britains Mini-Sets Dscf2610

Bit of a disaster for Britains - these, but the animal sets have some of the nicest animals they made!

Britains Mini-Sets Dscf4610

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyTue 12 Aug 2014, 20:48

I remember having these as a kid.I had all the wildlife sets and the one with the octopus.They were great sets and also inexpensive at the time.Shame they only made them for a short time.Great to see the photos of all the sets-they wouls be great collectors sets now! Smile 
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyTue 12 Aug 2014, 20:57

I only have one of them, which I took out of the box for this photo, but have never fully assembled - I'd rather keep it in original 'mint & boxed' type condition.

Britains Mini-Sets <a href=Britains Mini-Sets Img949_zps3391f15d" />
Back to top Go down
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyTue 12 Aug 2014, 21:22

Damn! I was hoping you'd have the rest Dave...Animals at that!

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyTue 12 Aug 2014, 21:25

Taos wrote:
I remember having these as a kid.I had all the wildlife sets and the one with the octopus.They were great sets and also inexpensive at the time.Shame they only made them for a short time.Great to see the photos of all the sets-they wouls be great collectors sets now! Smile 

They go for a lot of money now, especially the late sets (not illustrated), but any in a box, complete, there was so much to lose or damage for such small sets!

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyTue 12 Aug 2014, 22:48

smallscaleworld wrote:
Taos wrote:

They go for a lot of money now, especially the late sets (not illustrated), but any in a box, complete, there was so much to lose or damage for such small sets!

The high prices is why I haven't bought any (apart from the one I got cheap) in recent years, and I didn't buy them back then - I was a young teen at the time and going through a too embarrassed to buy toy soldiers phase, especially as the mini-sets didn't fit in with anything else.
Back to top Go down
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyTue 12 Aug 2014, 23:20

This was in the 'lose recent acquisitions' box

Britains Mini-Sets Dscn6910

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
mreyder

mreyder

Country/State : Holland

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 10:23

Here are all mu minisets which have animals (i have all the produced minisets, but will show only the ones which have animals in them):

Britains Mini-Sets Miniset20_zps1284a196
Britains Mini-Sets Miniset14_zps36a14b95
Britains Mini-Sets Miniset7_zpsc84e2fd1
Britains Mini-Sets Miniset9_zpsf6363f1f
Britains Mini-Sets Miniset5_zpsf39de441
Britains Mini-Sets Miniset6_zpsf2170d18
Britains Mini-Sets Miniset4_zps8e005482
Britains Mini-Sets Miniset3_zpseba74e5f

This is the box which would be in a shop: it would hold a certain number of Minisets and the customer could take 1 out and then pay for it:
Britains Mini-Sets Minisetdisplay1_zpse19d68a9
Back to top Go down
http://www.bokkerijdersburcht.nl/britains
mreyder

mreyder

Country/State : Holland

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 10:31

In the beginning each Miniset would have its own designed box, which could be cut open and used as a background during playing. Later Britains (i think to reduce the costs) would use 1 blue box for all the Minisets They pruduced and would put a sticker on which showed which Miniset was insied. Here is an photo of such a box:

Britains Mini-Sets Miniset22_zps1973fc8d

Only a few types of Minisets where produced in there blue boxes, because most Minisets are only produced for a short numer of years. The whole Miniset-programm was far from succesfull (commercially spoken)........ I saw some drawings from the Britains-designers which showed beautifull Minisets (1 with a polarbear for example), but they never were produced because off the bad selling of the Minisets. To bad, because i just LOVE these Minisets.......
Back to top Go down
http://www.bokkerijdersburcht.nl/britains
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 11:16

Lovely...I knew someone would have them!

When we were kids Mum bought us both the diver sets on the same day (to shut us up probably!) which must have been toward the end, as the second one is very uncommon now...sadly they went the way of all flesh!

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 19:01

Thankyou for starting this great topic, SSW Very Happy
I never heard about them before, and they are ever so lovely, those sets  drunken 

Mreyder, your collection is enormously impressive, WOW  cheers

Last edited by SUSANNE on Wed 13 Aug 2014, 22:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 19:24

I don't have anything relevant to add to this excelent thread but a lot to learn. Very Happy
You're doing an excelent work on STS vintage section! cheers Thanks to all! Very Happy

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyWed 13 Aug 2014, 21:23

Great to see all those sets again!Lots of memories there!! Smile Smile 
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyFri 15 Aug 2014, 21:50

They are beautieful and interesting!! Big congrats!! I especially like the ubnderwater sets!!

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptySat 16 Aug 2014, 12:55

This is one of the topics I enjoy to return to Very Happy
They are both interesting, charming, beautyful and have this old-fashioned "IT" !!
Even with that great vending-"mashine"  Applause 

Question, - do the animals have a hole in the underside for the supporting stick ?

smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptySat 16 Aug 2014, 13:51

SUSANNE wrote:
Question, - do the animals have a hole in the underside for the supporting stick ?

Yes, they do, everything is plug-in, which allowed for the re-use of things like the fences and bushes in more than one set and the knights and American Indians had little sticker-sheets like the one illustrated above.

Hugh

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptySat 16 Aug 2014, 16:19

Hugh, I deleted your post as you requested. Though, you can delete your own posts. just click the cross after the edit button and confirm it. Very Happy

smallscaleworld

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptySun 17 Aug 2014, 01:07

Roger wrote:
Hugh, I deleted your post as you requested. Though, you can delete your own posts. just click the cross after the edit button and confirm it. Very Happy

Thanks Roger!

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptySun 21 Dec 2014, 06:49

I only have this set sadly enough..., probably the most common still around, but mint i must say.

Britains Mini-Sets 1030_Britains_Mini_Set_Krokodillen_1
I saw those sets in the 1970's, and i have to admitt that they didn't interested me much either, as the animals had different sizes then the other zoo-range.
Strangely enough i started collecting Britains when i was living in Germany between my 8th and 13th birthday, so i was lucky to know all about Hausser Elastolin also, which were even better in painting and mostly in modelling also then Britains.
But i combined them when i was building zoo's on the attick all of the time.
The name of of the shop(Wischusen, Zeven, Germany) i still have in my mind like yesterday, having not only Hausser Elastolin and Britains, but the early Schleich rubbery animals also, which i bought also, as they had many small species in their mini-series, like a hedgehog, porcupine, beaver and so on.
All of those stayed in my collection untill now...

Last edited by WILLYBACOMAN on Mon 22 Dec 2014, 04:55; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptySun 21 Dec 2014, 21:42

Nice Willy:)

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyMon 22 Dec 2014, 04:54

Mann bedankt sich! Very Happy

Country/State : Sweden

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyThu 25 Dec 2014, 20:31

We bought some of the animal sets and used them together with the 1:32 scale animals. The Horses as ponies, the crocodiles as young ones (they actually came back as such later) and the octopus as the size it was.

I think its a bit stupid of Britains to make a range in a different scale, and in size no other manufacturer did either. It's a little bit as when they started the more toylike,. playmobil lookalike animals later on...

Fords drawings of the Greater Kudu, Blackbuck, Cape Buffalo, Wapiti, Jaguar, Lemur, cheetas and Racoon as shown in Barney Brown's collectors guide are so much more interesting.

He also drawed a bongo, Reed bucks, Impalas, gazelles, Wildebeest, two fighting Sable antelopes as well as others...

I would have loved them...

/Lennart
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptyFri 26 Dec 2014, 01:34

Lennart wrote:
We bought some of the animal sets and used them together with the 1:32 scale animals. The Horses as ponies, the crocodiles as young ones (they actually came back as such later) and the octopus as the size it was.

I think its a bit stupid of Britains to make a range in a different scale, and in size no other manufacturer did either. It's a little bit as when they started the more toylike,. playmobil lookalike animals later on...

Fords drawings of the Greater Kudu, Blackbuck, Cape Buffalo, Wapiti, Jaguar, Lemur, cheetas and Racoon as shown in Barney Brown's collectors guide are so much more interesting.

He also drawed a bongo, Reed bucks, Impalas, gazelles, Wildebeest, two fighting Sable antelopes as well as others...

I would have loved them...

/Lennart

I never bought any when the MiniSets were first available - seemed they weren’t sold for very long in Britain! Also MiniSets  were and still hard to find on the Toy Fair / Swapmeet circuit from when I first went to them in the mid 1980’s to the present.

Britains MiniSets were to a similar scale to toy vehicles made by Corgi Toys / Dinky / Spot-On etc... So MiniSet farm animals and related figures were useful for these ranges. Even the MiniSet zoo animals and figures could be used but here they would have been better animated as wild life and one could have fun on miniature safari’s across the carpet!

The US Infantry were good to go with Dinky Toys expanding military vehicle line. Unfortunately they were withdrawn to early and would have worked better in the early to late 1970’s. However, Britains needed to add British Army figures as DT’s issues were mainly British Army related.

What I could never understand is that Britains never issued MiniSets relating directly to toy vehicles e.g. petrol pumps, garage figures etc… These would have been popular as Dinky Toys / Corgi Toys / Spot-On garage figures were withdrawn at the time MiniSets were released.

Britains MiniSets were an interesting concept and precede the theme related mini-sets that Lego and Playmobile have continuely issued over the past years.

Going back to Britains 1:32nd scale animal figures I agree with Lennart that those drawn by George Ford featured in Barney’s book would have been a great success. Seems George Ford predicted the animated wild pose of toy animal figures but Britains preferred the static zoo look. A real shame here but perhaps Britains current owners, Tomy, may surprise us all and issue them!

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptySat 27 Dec 2014, 11:53

Britains Mini-Sets 11688535675_20374c4912_c
Britains Mini-Set Elephant &amp; Boy 1-42nd scale 2

Set 1033 included an African elephant, a boy figure feeding the elephant buns, low fences and bushes. The box also could be used as a diorama backdrop.

Britains Mini-Sets 11689295846_66b6ec2b17_c
Britains Mini-Set Elephant &amp; Boy 1-42nd scale

Images have been posted elsewhere on STS but I have but them here too.

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets EmptySat 27 Dec 2014, 12:02

mreyder wrote:

This is the box which would be in a shop: it would hold a certain number of Minisets and the customer could take 1 out and then pay for it:
Britains Mini-Sets Minisetdisplay1_zpse19d68a9

mreyder wrote:
In the beginning each Miniset would have its own designed box, which could be cut open and used as a background during playing. Later Britains (i think to reduce the costs) would use 1 blue box for all the Minisets They pruduced and would put a sticker on which showed which Miniset was insied. Here is an photo of such a box:

Britains Mini-Sets Miniset22_zps1973fc8d

Only a few types of Minisets where produced in there blue boxes, because most Minisets are only produced for a short numer of years. The whole Miniset-programm was far from succesfull (commercially spoken)........   I saw some drawings from the Britains-designers which showed beautifull Minisets (1 with a polarbear for example), but they never were produced because off the bad selling of the Minisets. To bad, because i just LOVE these Minisets.......

Hi mreyder

The set in the lower image is one that was assembled by Britains so that retailers could put this into the top of the retailer counter display box you have in the top image. As far as I know the blue box ready assembled models were not available to the public so they are harder to find than the normal MiniSet boxes.

Congratulations on having both the blue box and counter display box in your collection. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
Sponsored content

Britains Mini-Sets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains Mini-Sets   Britains Mini-Sets Empty

Back to top Go down

Britains Mini-Sets
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next