Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Britains 18th Century Naval Cannons

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

Britains 18th Century Naval Cannons Empty
PostSubject: Britains 18th Century Naval Cannons   Britains 18th Century Naval Cannons EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 9:57 pm

Britains collectors generally know about this one (hey, even if you only collect farm & zoo, you have the reference books, old catalogues, etc.):

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

(photo from Vectis toy auction site, so sadly not in my collection)
It was made 1969-72 in this elaborate box representing the gun deck of a ship of the period with crew, catalogue number 9736.
The gun, without crew or fancy box, was continued a little longer, 1973-74, cat. 9738.

And collectors know about this one:

(another Vectis photo)
It was made 1960-67, as you can see in rather garish colours, but it was a popular toy in its time. Britains cat. 2189

But no one, not even experts like James Opie, seem to know this one exists too. I didn't, until I saw it and bought it on eBay a few years ago:

In his huge 'Great Book of Britains', James Opie lists item 2183 as unlisted (i.e. not in main Britains catalogues) item 'Fort Henry Cannon' in 1960, which he assumes was cannon 2189 above in a special box (he says no one in the collecting community had seen this special box) only sold in the souvenir shop at Fort Henry, Canada. I'm guessing that in years after 1960, Mr Opie was correct in his assumption, and this more muted colours, with an undecorated barrel, was a very short lived 1st version. I'm also guessing that this one I bought, labelled on the box simply as 18th century cannon, with no mention of Fort Henry, was a clearance batch sold off to the UK toy trade.

Here are all 3 types together from the side, for comparison (I do have the other 2, but not in original boxes):

and from above, to show differences in size, colour and decoration of the gun barrels:

I wonder how many of this 2183 type were made?
How many have survived, even without boxes, in present day collections?
Have any survived in Fort Henry boxes?
Do any other collectors have them in this type box? (I bought, silent shall we say, more than one. Wink )

Last edited by DaveScriv on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Britains 18th Century Naval Cannons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Britains 18th Century Naval Cannons   Britains 18th Century Naval Cannons EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 pm

Interesting stuff!!

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Britains 18th Century Naval Cannons
Page 1 of 1