Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Susanne's 2015 newcomers

Go down 
+50
TheSpottedCat
MartinH
Florian
Phexedrine
Gwaine
trovalsa
Saien
75senta75
Kristie
Drakulka
Rakel
pipsxlch
Oryx7557
costicuba
Roger
SUSANNE
widukind
elephas_maximus
skysthelimit
NightLioness
jarda
Wilorvise
Tiermann
Carola
bojan
Kikimalou
Ana
sauroid
Tove
Realbelovedgirl
Dutch Bear
Night Elf
lucky luke
Niki2811
Tarunyada
Anasta SchwarzeWölfin
weaselfan93
TheLastStardust
DaveScriv
Dum_my
ken yeo
sadie3112
donny ong
JonasV
LeeAnn
Saarlooswolfhound
Noémi
landrover
Bloodrayne
Taos
54 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
AuthorMessage
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 8:34 am

Thankyou, friends Very Happy

trovalsa wrote:
They are so lovely! cheers The Trakehner mare in particular has a very beautiful colour.

Although I would say your Quarter Horse is a Champagne, probably a Classic Champagne, as Smoky Black is, in fact, undistinguishable from normal black. What the Cream gene does is discolour the red pigment and, since black horses have no red pigment, only black, their colour does not change, unless they are homozygous Cream. :)

You are only half right.
Quite often the cream gene is not visible on a black horse, but it is not totally unusual that a it is. Sometimes they are so light that they are called "lion coloured"  Very Happy
We see it in Icelandic horses, where the champagne does not exist, but certainly also in other breeds.  HERE are some pictures ( even if there are also other colours) .
It runs in some blood lines, but does not depend on how deep black the base colour is, or if the horse is homozygote for black or not.  study

But you are right. The champagne gene certainly exists in quater horses. Here are some pictures. Aren't they lighter ?  scratch

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 9:22 am

Congratulations for you and hurray for Yvette :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
trovalsa

trovalsa

Country/State : from Portugal to England

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 2:53 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Thankyou, friends Very Happy

trovalsa wrote:
They are so lovely! cheers The Trakehner mare in particular has a very beautiful colour.

Although I would say your Quarter Horse is a Champagne, probably a Classic Champagne, as Smoky Black is, in fact, undistinguishable from normal black. What the Cream gene does is discolour the red pigment and, since black horses have no red pigment, only black, their colour does not change, unless they are homozygous Cream. :)

You are only half right.
Quite often the cream gene is not visible on a black horse, but it is not totally unusual that a it is. Sometimes they are so light that they are called "lion coloured"  Very Happy
We see it in Icelandic horses, where the champagne does not exist, but certainly also in other breeds.  HERE are some pictures ( even if there are also other colours) .
It runs in some blood lines, but does not depend on how deep black the base colour is, or if the horse is homozygote for black or not.  study

But you are right. The champagne gene certainly exists in quater horses. Here are some pictures. Aren't they lighter ?  scratch

My genetics professor always said they are no different from a black horse phenotypically, and quite a few equine colour genetics people say so as well.  scratch  It seems quite a few of those smokey blacks on google are simply sun bleached though, or even other colours, or mixed with other genes - there are a couple of grullos and bays and silvers thrown in there, too. Razz

This is a friesian - so, truly a black horse, as the cream gene does not exist on friesians, yet he looks like a smoky black, as his coat was bleached by the sun. Perhaps your quarter horse is a sun bleached black? From what I've seen, at least in QHs, even smoky black ones do not look very light, unless mixed with other genes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I know Icelandics spend quite a lot of time outside, at least in their native country - perhaps that is why they seem lighter than most? Or maybe they are simply genetically predisposed to it, just as some true blacks are genetically predisposed to fading more or less.

Not all champagnes are light (here is a good example of a darker Classic Champagne) but I agree that it is not the right shade, especially in the belly and flanks.

By the way - I hope I'm not coming across as a "know-it-all", I simply find genetics very interesting and I like discussing them, but of course I don't know everything - I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .: Tomás :.
Back to top Go down
http://blue-skystudios.blogspot.pt
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 6:56 pm

Laughing Laughing

No, you are not stepping on anybody's toes, - and I do not want to boast.
And you are right, sometimes people mistake sunbleached for smoky.

But I I have spent many years studying horse colours, - and breeding cream-horses in particular too.
I even had the great honour to proof-read a scientific , and internationally approved book about horse colours.
And I am sorry. Your professor was wrong !

Below you see some Smoky Iceys, which I have known myself, including their ancestors and offspring, - they ARE Smoky black !!!

The first one even had more BEC foals , here second one , - the ultimate 100 % proof that she has a cream gene.

This one belonged to one of my good friends, - his mom was palomino and his dad black, he had yellow eyes.

Cream-gene horses are much lighter during winter, so many dark smokies can even be almost golden during winter.

But it is correct, - black-creams can also be completely black.
I even borrowed a black mare with a BEC foal for a year. And she was black, and nothing but black, also during winter.
And in Iceland a BEC mare had tree of her sons approved for stud, - all 100 % black.

But that does not mean that Smokes do not exist, - they certainly do  Wink

Last edited by SUSANNE on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
75senta75

75senta75

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 8:51 pm

I am happy that all the horses are well arrived in Denmark. Susanne, you have made really beautiful photos. I personally like the Hanoverian best. sunny

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 9:01 pm

75senta75 wrote:

I am happy that all the horses are well arrived in Denmark. Susanne, you have made really beautiful photos. I personally like the Hanoverian best.  sunny

Thankyou, dear Yvette !
Yes, that Hanoverian is a beautful model, - one of the best they have made the last 6 years Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Saien

Saien

Country/State : Slovakia

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 11:01 am

Oh, what a nice surprise and amazing gift cheers

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 11:27 am

Lovely new horses Susanne! I love the colour of Trakhener and my favourite from these horses is also the Hanoverian. Hurray for Yvette for helping you finding these rare editions Very Happy cheers
It's enormously interesting what you wrote about smokey blacks too, what a beautiful colour indeed! I wonder if that was what Schleich intended to paint or they just did it by accident scratch

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 1:11 pm

Ana wrote:
Lovely new horses Susanne! I love the colour of Trakhener  and my favourite from these horses is also the Hanoverian. Hurray for Yvette for helping you finding these rare editions Very Happy cheers
It's enormously interesting what you wrote about smokey blacks too, what a beautiful colour indeed! I wonder if that was what Schleich intended to paint or they just did it by accident scratch

Laughing Laughing I am 99,99% sure they did it by accident Wink

trovalsa

trovalsa

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 1:58 pm

Susanne - thank you for the information! :) I'm not surprised my professor was wrong, what she tells us very often is as she uses outdated information - she also told us homozygous roan foals are lethal, heh. But since there are a lot of people who know genetics in that group, including Lesli Kathman, (who wrote Equine Tapestry) I thought it would be trustworthy. Apparently not! Razz

I always found it a bit strange that cream supposedly did not affect black hair, yet double cream did. scratch Apparently the answer is it does!

(and I didn't mean to say smoky black doesn't exist - it does, of course, I meant simply that it cannot be seen, but I stand corrected. :))

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Thankyou, dear Pip Very Happy

The problem with research on shades of horse colour is extremely difficult, because people mistake them for other colours. For instance the mom of my BEC was registered as chestnut. She was even judged and accepted in the stud book both in Iceland, Germany and Denmark, - I have seen her, and she was clearly a dark palomino Wink

The smokies are often registered as blacks, or sooty-something, or even as light bay or dun !!!
But if you have seen one in real, you never mistake them again.

Laughing Laughing Well, in icelandic horses the roan is homozygote IS lethal !!!!
On Iceland the farmers association promised a large prize for the farmer, who could get a roan stallion judged as a first prize stud horse.
At the same time they told that you will not get more roans out of crossing two roans, - just fewer foals.
But a farmer sent a whole flock of good, roan mares and a very fine, roan stallion to an island and left them there during the summer.
The number of foals next spring was , however,  quite low.
And app half were roans, not  3/4 as should have been expected from a dominant gene, - or more than 3/4, if any of the mares had been homozygote.
The 1/4 of the foals which were homozygote were clearly missing , the mares had lost them some time during preganacy !
This is only one example in many.
The problem with scientific proof is, that many people confuse roans, roaning, and greys, so the statistics are not trustworthy, unless the scientist has seen each horse and - ha, ha, knows how they look Wink

Among the Belgian draft horses in Denmark the roan colour is very much desired, but they can NOT make all  -or even the majority - roan.
If they could, they would certainly do it. It would be very, very easy as the colour is 100% dominant, and just one, good, homozygote stallion could change the whole picture .
Still many of the breeders of Belgians claim that it is only a theory...old habits die very, very hard !

Sorry, I have to mention another stupid superstition about colours : Not many years ago the breeders of Connemaras claimed that BECs were ill, so they were not allowed in the stud book, - many even claimed that their parents carried a dangerous illness ( It was actually themselves who were ill (in the head)) Laughing .
I do not know if they have become wiser now, though.

Sorry, sorry. No more from me about this  Embarassed  Embarassed  What a Face

trovalsa

trovalsa

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 7:09 pm

Oh yes - I know there are a few breeds where homozygous roan is lethal, but it's not as general as our professor would have us believe. Even UC Davis, which I consider a reputable source, says that much, and there are tested homozygous roans so, it is possible. :)

Hopefully now colour testing will take precedence over simply looking when doing studies on equine colour, it's obviously much more accurate! Laughing

Oh, yes, I had heard about the problems with BEC Connemaras. Rolling Eyes It's like people who believe lighter hooves are more easily damaged than dark hooves!

Okay, I will shut up too! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 7:31 pm

trovalsa wrote:

Okay, I will shut up too! Very Happy

...........silent  lol! lol! lol!

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 10:10 am

SUSANNE wrote:
Ana wrote:
Lovely new horses Susanne! I love the colour of Trakhener  and my favourite from these horses is also the Hanoverian. Hurray for Yvette for helping you finding these rare editions Very Happy cheers

Laughing Laughing I am 99,99% sure they did it by accident Wink

lol! Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 1:56 pm

They are beautiful, congrats Susanne! I love you

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 3:41 pm

Fascinating discussion! Thank you both Susanne and Pip for increasing our knowledge.

I grew up around Arabians; roans are vanishingly rare (the color was heavily discriminated against, at least in the US, until recently) and the cream dilute is not present. So I did not know much about the heritability and phenotypic effects of the traits.

And as for records, I've looked up descendants of my mother's sweet stallion Tifer online. He was a lovely metallic blood bay, and registered as such. The records label him a chestnut! (bay is dominant over chestnut, he did carry and throw many chestnuts, but... Rolling Eyes !)

Embarassed my pet peeve is foals painted grey or white. Hello, foals are almost never (rareish homozygous creams the only exception I can think of right away, maybe also champagne?) born white, and none are born grey- some colors (black and darker ones) appear mousy in newborns and shed out darker; horses which will become greys (and eventually white, greys don't stay that way) are born a 'regular' color, and usually a dark shade of it. Blue/brown/bay roans can look grey, but they're born dark too, and their heads stay dark. Grey foals are dark, usually darker/purer shades of the color than their non-greying siblings, with a smattering of grey hairs around the eyes and the head greys first.

This is what I learned growing up, sound right to you guys? Like I said, it's experience with Arabs and half Arabs only. Second pet peeve is Arab sculpts in non Arab colors! Smile
(if I could afford it, I'd love a Weathergirl Breyer one day, but I've never seen one with a good real Arab paint job anyhow!)

And congratulations Susanne on the great additions! The QH is a nifty one, intentional paint job or not!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyTue Nov 03, 2015 7:26 pm

Thankyou, Pip !!!
WOW, growing up with Arabian horses drunken

What you write about greys and roans as foals is exacly what I have observed also Very Happy Very Happy

Laughing Laughing The case of Tife being recorded as chestnut is typical !!! That is also why scientific research can' t be based on pedigree records Rolling Eyes

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 8:47 pm

AGAIN a parcel from the fantastic Yvette  cheers  queen

The ostrich chick !!!!  I love you

Isn't this juste the cutest chick ever ?  drunken

And the lovely butterflies, finding honey in an Agave-blossom  flower

And then ! Ta-daaaaah !!! bounce  The Special Edition Algäuer Cow  cheers

She is a wonderful cow,both beautyful and gentle, and smelling of warm hills and fresh grass...yes, yes, she does  Laughing
Here she is muching away together with her friend, the Fleckvieh cow 13134 from 2000 - 2008   Very Happy
I am sure they are closely related alien  alien  Wink

Wilorvise

Wilorvise

Country/State : Colorado, USA

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 8:50 pm

Congrats on some lovely models. :)

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 8:59 pm

I like these babies that are really recently born creatures! Very Happy
The cow is really a fortunate special edition once it resulted very beautiful. Very Happy
Is it you what we see in the cow bell? Wink

Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 9:07 pm

Thankyou, Laura and Roger  Very Happy  Very Happy

Roger wrote:

Shocked It must be a ghost Shocked Laughing Very Happy

Gwaine

Gwaine

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 9:10 pm

That baby ostridge is so flipping cute!

Papo: 82
Safari: 150
Mojo fun: 23
Playmobil: 117
Other: 288
~
schleich count: 1222
~
Total: 2156

My DeviantArt: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My Twitter: @Tezzieh
My Instagram: tessa.b.storm
Back to top Go down
https://www.patreon.com/mrsaugustwalker
trovalsa

trovalsa

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2015 10:18 pm

Such lovely new additions, congratulations! Very Happy The cow is really beautiful, she has a very sweet look. The ostrich chick is so cute! I love you I love you

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 1:27 am

SUSANNE wrote:
Thankyou, Laura and Roger  Very Happy  Very Happy

Roger wrote:

Shocked It must be a ghost Shocked Laughing Very Happy

lol! affraid lol! affraid Wink

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 EmptyThu Nov 19, 2015 5:12 am

Beautieful Schleich additions Susanne :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Susanne's 2015 newcomers   Susanne's 2015 newcomers - Page 21 Empty

Back to top Go down

Susanne's 2015 newcomers
Page 21 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next