Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited

Go down 
+18
Jill
Bonnie
twilighter
Advicot
endogenylove
Tiermann
kellyL
Lennart
Pardofelis
SeanieP
Duck-Anch-Amun
Taos
halichoeres
zirkoon
Megaptera
Bongo
bmathison1972
CWGross
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 12:26 pm

And now Tierpark Hagenbeck Hamburg

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 6:09 pm

Visited my local aquarium and safari park recently.

I'm set to go to Twycross zoo in August (the only UK zoo with bonobos!) And also next Wednesday an aquarium near where I'm going on holiday. I am also meant to go on a small zoo visiting trip to a big city in the South where I'll visit 4 institutions

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 10:13 pm

Wow, you've visited so many wonderful zoos and still more to come! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 6:36 pm

Pretty jealous of some of the destinations you guys have gone. I would love to see more international zoos and aquaria, but for now, my list is mostly focused within driving distance, with a few exceptions. Wink

- WNC Nature Center, Asheville North Carolina, US (currently employed): small, native animals only

- Zoo Knoxville, Knoxville Tennessee, US (internship): medium; Asia and Africa mainly, some North America and other. I am partial to this facility, and I am so excited because they recently built a brand new reptile house that was desperately needed. I would have worked here, if I didn't get the job I have now.

- The Tennessee Aquarium, Chattanooga Tennessee, US: medium but has expanded to salt water so maybe large now, fresh and saltwater, but the freshwater section is a masterpiece. I've been going to this aquarium since I was a kid. Their largest tank is three stories high and you walk down several flights of stairs alongside it, in this dimly lit space, it's magical.

- The Chattanooga Zoo, Chattanooga Tennessee, US: small, delightful, mixed exotics and natives.

- Riverbanks Zoo and Garden, Columbia South Carolina, US: medium; a mix, but has koala, which is uncommon in US zoos

- Greensboro Science Center, Greensboro North Carolina, US: used to be small, getting bigger! Has an aquarium as well. Just got okapi!!

- Rowan Wildlife Adventures, Salisbury North Carolina, US (internship): small, natives only

- North Carolina Zoo, Asheboro North Carolina, US (internship): huge; North America and Africa only so far, building Asia and Australia.

- Museum of Life and Science, Durham North Carolina, US (internship): small, natives only with a few exceptions like lemurs.

- Cincinnati Zoo, Cincinnati Ohio, US: large, mixed exotics, best part was painted dog but best known now for Fiona the hippo! She wasn't born when I was there.

- Zoo Atlanta, Atlanta Georgia, US: medium to large, mixed exotics, only time I have ever seen a bush dog and the first time I ever saw a fossa.

- Nashville Zoo, Nashville Tennessee, US: large; mixed exotics, I met a very nice female gray kangaroo here

- Alligator Farm, Saint Augustine Florida: medium; it sounds bad but it's actually an amazing facility. I think they have a representative from almost every crocodilian species in the world.

- Alligator Adventure, Myrtle Beach South Carolina, US: small, exactly what it promises. Lots of alligators! But my favorite part, as much as I love alligators, were the spotted hyenas. Two young adults that were playing! It was the first time I had seen one of my favorite mammals in real life, and it was just amazing.

- Edisto Island Serpentarium, Edisto South Carolina, US: small; love this place! Almost entirely reptiles, beautiful little facility.

- White Oak Conservation, Yulee Florida, US: large - just huge; this was incredible. White Oak is not a public facility so you can only visit it as part of a scheduled conference, summer camp, etc. I was there for a red wolf SSP conference, and I am so grateful I got to go. They are primarily a hoofstock conservation center, which means giant herds of rare and endangered antelope, wild ass, and even okapi - which I almost got to feed by hand, but I was too slow.

- Oregon Zoo, Portland Oregon, US: medium; North American and Africa primarily, participated in an otter keeper workshop here for a week, which was amazing! LOVED the painted dogs.

- San Diego Zoo, San Diego California, US: large; it's just an amazing zoo, the hype is real, haha.

- Disney's Animal Kingdom, Bay Lake Florida, US: large; don't even remember what all they had, haven't been since I was 15 but did enjoy it, first place I saw an okapi. Not wild about Disney parks in general, though, but Disney zookeepers are a truly incredible bunch.

- Singapore Zoo, Singapore: large? I was so jet-lagged when I visited twelve years ago for a few hours, its kind of a blur. I was alone and had no money for food so I was very hungry, but I do remember that I loved it, despite the haze. The first time I ever saw an O-line for orangutans, and let me tell you, see an orangutan travel over my head without any apparent boundaries was really surreal!

- Taman Safari, Cisarua Indonesia: medium to large; also saw this zoo about twelve years ago. I went several times and it was a really cool experience, but my memories are fairly vague. They definitely have elephants and a drive through area with mostly African hoofstock, and a separate drive through with big cats (!!).
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 7:37 pm

Great list Jill, I have many of these US zoos on my to visit list. Very Happy

A correct list of my visits:

Chester zoo, been before (Visiting some point in mid August)
Blackpool zoo, been before (Visiting some point in mid August)
South Lakes safari zoo
Knowsley safari park
Longleat safari park
Yorkshire wildlife park
Welsh mountain zoo
Edinburgh zoo
Blue planet aquarium
SeaLife Blackpool
SeaLife Manchester
Ponderosa zoo
Anglesey sea zoo
Rhyl seaquarium
The deep aquarium
Twycross zoo (Visiting some point in mid August)
Folly farm zoo (Visiting some point in late August)
Dudley zoo (Visiting some point in mid August)
Akamba tropical house (Visiting some point in mid August)
Birmingham botanical gardens, or instead Birmingham SeaLife (Visiting some point in mid August)
Birmingham wildlife conservation park (Visiting some point in mid August)

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)

Last edited by Advicot on Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 3:19 pm

Jill wrote:
Pretty jealous of some of the destinations you guys have gone. I would love to see more international zoos and aquaria, but for now, my list is mostly focused within driving distance, with a few exceptions. Wink

- WNC Nature Center, Asheville North Carolina, US (currently employed): small, native animals only

- Zoo Knoxville, Knoxville Tennessee, US (internship): medium; Asia and Africa mainly, some North America and other. I am partial to this facility, and I am so excited because they recently built a brand new reptile house that was desperately needed. I would have worked here, if I didn't get the job I have now.

- The Tennessee Aquarium, Chattanooga Tennessee, US: medium but has expanded to salt water so maybe large now, fresh and saltwater, but the freshwater section is a masterpiece. I've been going to this aquarium since I was a kid. Their largest tank is three stories high and you walk down several flights of stairs alongside it, in this dimly lit space, it's magical.

- The Chattanooga Zoo, Chattanooga Tennessee, US: small, delightful, mixed exotics and natives.

- Riverbanks Zoo and Garden, Columbia South Carolina, US: medium; a mix, but has koala, which is uncommon in US zoos

- Greensboro Science Center, Greensboro North Carolina, US: used to be small, getting bigger! Has an aquarium as well. Just got okapi!!

- Rowan Wildlife Adventures, Salisbury North Carolina, US (internship): small, natives only

- North Carolina Zoo, Asheboro North Carolina, US (internship): huge; North America and Africa only so far, building Asia and Australia.

- Museum of Life and Science, Durham North Carolina, US (internship): small, natives only with a few exceptions like lemurs.

- Cincinnati Zoo, Cincinnati Ohio, US: large, mixed exotics, best part was painted dog but best known now for Fiona the hippo! She wasn't born when I was there.

- Zoo Atlanta, Atlanta Georgia, US: medium to large, mixed exotics, only time I have ever seen a bush dog and the first time I ever saw a fossa.

- Nashville Zoo, Nashville Tennessee, US: large; mixed exotics, I met a very nice female gray kangaroo here

- Alligator Farm, Saint Augustine Florida: medium; it sounds bad but it's actually an amazing facility. I think they have a representative from almost every crocodilian species in the world.

- Alligator Adventure, Myrtle Beach South Carolina, US: small, exactly what it promises. Lots of alligators! But my favorite part, as much as I love alligators, were the spotted hyenas. Two young adults that were playing! It was the first time I had seen one of my favorite mammals in real life, and it was just amazing.

- Edisto Island Serpentarium, Edisto South Carolina, US: small; love this place! Almost entirely reptiles, beautiful little facility.

- White Oak Conservation, Yulee Florida, US: large - just huge; this was incredible. White Oak is not a public facility so you can only visit it as part of a scheduled conference, summer camp, etc. I was there for a red wolf SSP conference, and I am so grateful I got to go. They are primarily a hoofstock conservation center, which means giant herds of rare and endangered antelope, wild ass, and even okapi - which I almost got to feed by hand, but I was too slow.

- Oregon Zoo, Portland Oregon, US: medium; North American and Africa primarily, participated in an otter keeper workshop here for a week, which was amazing! LOVED the painted dogs.

- San Diego Zoo, San Diego California, US: large; it's just an amazing zoo, the hype is real, haha.

- Disney's Animal Kingdom, Bay Lake Florida, US: large; don't even remember what all they had, haven't been since I was 15 but did enjoy it, first place I saw an okapi. Not wild about Disney parks in general, though, but Disney zookeepers are a truly incredible bunch.

- Singapore Zoo, Singapore: large? I was so jet-lagged when I visited twelve years ago for a few hours, its kind of a blur. I was alone and had no money for food so I was very hungry, but I do remember that I loved it, despite the haze. The first time I ever saw an O-line for orangutans, and let me tell you, see an orangutan travel over my head without any apparent boundaries was really surreal!

- Taman Safari, Cisarua Indonesia: medium to large; also saw this zoo about twelve years ago. I went several times and it was a really cool experience, but my memories are fairly vague. They definitely have elephants and a drive through area with mostly African hoofstock, and a separate drive through with big cats (!!).

Since my childhood i wish i can visit San Diego Zoo

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 3:22 pm

Advicot wrote:
Great list Jill, I have many of these US zoos on my to visit list. Very Happy

A correct list of my visits:

Chester zoo, been before (Visiting some point in mid August)
Blackpool zoo, been before (Visiting some point in mid August)
South Lakes safari zoo
Knowsley safari park
Longleat safari park
Yorkshire wildlife park
Welsh mountain zoo
Edinburgh zoo
Blue planet aquarium
SeaLife Blackpool
SeaLife Manchester
Ponderosa zoo
Anglesey sea zoo
Rhyl seaquarium
The deep aquarium (Visiting on Wednesday)
Twycross zoo (Visiting some point in mid August)
Folly farm zoo (Visiting some point in late August)
Dudley zoo (Visiting some point in mid August)
Akamba tropical house (Visiting some point in mid August)
Birmingham botanical gardens, or instead Birmingham SeaLife (Visiting some point in mid August)
Birmingham wildlife conservation park (Visiting some point in mid August)

Great list too

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 3:22 pm

Now i visited Skansen Stockholm

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 07, 2021 3:54 pm

So many wonderful zoos that everyone has visited! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 1:40 pm

Bonnie wrote:
So many wonderful zoos that everyone has visited! cheers

Thank you

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 1:41 pm

Now the Artis Zoo Amsterdam too

Back to top Go down
Lennart

Country/State : Sweden

PostSubject: Some new zoos since the last list   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 12:09 pm

Hi:

Since I last wrote the pandemin has restricted our travel but here goes:

Skånes djurpark: now sold to a private company it i sa bit more commercial but looks most as i use to.
The park has been criticised for the keeping of wolves and bears mostly and their areas are still not up to modern standard even but better than many other parks in Europe.
This zoo shows only Nordic animals so You can for example see Moose, Musk ox, Lynx and Visents. They also breed spm "Aur oxes".
Nice place on a summer day but not spectacular.

Ystads djurpark: Small zoo out in the countryside of Skåne in the south of Sweden. Big but not very fancy enclosures. Eland, Sebra, Camel and Serval are the highlights.

Borås Zoo: Personally I think this is the best zoo in Sweden showing african and Swedish animals. They where first in Sweden to build a savanna, and to mix the Rhinos with Cheetas.
The Savanna is large and contains now Ostriches, African Elephants, Giraffes, Blesbok, Eland, African buffalos Sebras and Guinea Fowls. The Elephants were inside when we visited because the were so afraid of the Giraffes...
The new enclosures for Bears, Wolves Lynx are so large that it is difficult to see the animals. The Seals live in a huge natural lake.
The big monkeys, lions and tigers have a bit old enclosures but good compared to many other zoos.
The also shows other animals as penguins, Wild dogs, Hyenas...

Slottskogen, Göteborg:
Not really a zoo more som enclosures in a large parks but still they show Penguins, harbour seals, Reindeer, Red, deer, Fallow deer, and some more animals. Free entrance.

Frankfurt Zoo: Been really long since my last visit but not really updated in a modern way. Still nice but have the problem of all inner-city zoos - space. They have a lot of iconic animals but should need a larger modernisation without being really bad.

Nürnberg Zoo: I recollected it as a great zoo but now - not really. It's totally ok but should need modernisation. The houses were closed due to the pandemi so we could not see the new Manatee and Dolphin pools. Many species though.

Köln Zoo: Same as the other German zoos above, totally ok but in need of space and more modern thinking. Small but nicely build cages for many of the animals.

Wuppertal Zoo: Build in a slope it is much walking up and down in this zoo. A bit run down, not terrible but some enclosures needs rebuilding, Sea Lions, Polar Bears, Bongos. "The Savanna" was a sandy yard with Sebras and Guinea fowls. The Lions has a so huge enclosure up top in the park som You could hardly see them.
Fun hanging metro system on the way out there Though.

Eriksbergs wild life reserve, Blekinge county, Sweden: A large private reserve created by an eccentric Swedish photographer and writer, Bengt Berg. He persuade the Swedish authorities to protect the Swedish three species of Swans and the two Eagles, imported the Canada Goose to Sweden though he thought that the Swedish gooses were going to be extinct.
But after that his rich wife bought a large area in Blekinge which he persuaded the authorities to let him fence in. Sweden has a long traditon of "allemansrätt", which basically means the You are aloud to walk everywhere on specific conditions. This park violated this. The couple then evicted about 100 poor families, around 1000 people and created a park in order to save the Swedish Red Deer.
Berg was a close friend to the german Nazi leaders and some of his income came from films and books he made in Germany before and during the war.
The Red Deer were nearly extinct and the few left lived around large castles owned by rich landowners. They was not willing to sell any animals to Berg, I read it as he was so nazi-friendly. So the Deers in the park are not the pure Swedish breed.
Some years ago the whole park was sold to a large company who has invested a lot in buildings and the park has now a restaurant's (one fine dining, 8 courses), safari lodge housing, A "savanna" to overlook from the spa.
You could go around in Your own car and stay over in the expensive large rooms.
We took one walking safari, one biking safari and one jeep safari.
The park hosts about 1600 animals; Red Deer, Visents (they sell many each year for re-impanting in Russia and eastern Europe), Pere Davids Deer, Fallow Deer, Wild Boar, Mufflon sheeps and a lot of birds.
You could eat a lot of the animals since they hunt in the winter, You could hunt yourself if You are willing to pay 30.000 euro for shooting a Red Deer...
It is a great park, a bit like the private reserves in Africa but really expensive.

I think that many of the larger inner-city zoos are downsizing the species they show and also the number of each animals in order to save costs and lack of space.
With more creative solutions this could be avoided but as zoos seldom make money they are in need of public spending and investments.
And Yes, I think zoos are necessary not mostly for saving species but for showing animals so modern city connect to the and not forget them.
With that said - the zoos has to provide as good living conditions as possible for the animals.

Lennart
Stockholm

My former list:

Sweden
Frösö djurpark
Skansen, Stockholm - like every year
Kolmården x 2
Borås x 2
Eskilstuna x 3
Skånes djurpark x 4
Nordens ark
Slottskogen x 3

Denmark
Copenhagen x 10
Copenhagen aquarium

Finland
Helsingfors x3

Estland
Tallin

Germany
Berlin zoo x 45
Berlin Tierpark x 4
Magdeburg
Augsburg
München
Frankfurt x 2
Rostock
Hagenbeck x 2
Hannover
Heidelberg

Netherlands
Amsterdam x 10
Rotterdam x 4
Arnhem

Belgium
Antwerpen x4
Planckendael x 2

France
Vincennes 8 x before redesign, 1 after
Jardin des Plantes x 8
Palmyre

Italy
Rome x 2
Falconara

Spain
Barcelona
Madrid
Valencia
Valencia aquarium
Playa des ingles (worst ever)

Portugal
Lissabon

Ireland
Dublin
Belfast

UK
London x 15
London aquarium
London Battersea
London Wetland centre
Whipsnade x 2
Edinburgh
Bristol
Colchester
Newquay

Austria
Wien x 2
Innsbruck

Schweiz
Zürich

Hungary
Budapest

USA
New York x 5
Bronx x 2
Chicago
Brookfield
San Francisco x 2
San Diego
San Diego safari park

Canada
Montreal biodome

Australien
Sydney
Sydney aquarium
Perth
Melbourne

South Africa
Kruger park (safari)

Namibia
Etosha (safari)
Sossusvlei (private reserve)
Onjala (private reserve)
Otjiwa (private reserve)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 6:54 pm

Lennart wrote:
Hi:

Since I last wrote the pandemin has restricted our travel but here goes:

Skånes djurpark: now sold to a private company it i sa bit more commercial but looks most as i use to.
The park has been criticised for the keeping of wolves and bears mostly and their areas are still not up to modern standard even but better than many other parks in Europe.
This zoo shows only Nordic animals so You can for example see Moose, Musk ox, Lynx and Visents. They also breed spm "Aur oxes".
Nice place on a summer day but not spectacular.

Ystads djurpark: Small zoo out in the countryside of Skåne in the south of Sweden. Big but not very fancy enclosures. Eland, Sebra, Camel and Serval are the highlights.

Borås Zoo: Personally I think this is the best zoo in Sweden showing african and Swedish animals. They where first in Sweden to build a savanna, and to mix the Rhinos with Cheetas.
The Savanna is large and contains now Ostriches, African Elephants, Giraffes, Blesbok, Eland, African buffalos Sebras and Guinea Fowls. The Elephants were inside when we visited because the were so afraid of the Giraffes...
The new enclosures for Bears, Wolves Lynx are so large that it is difficult to see the animals. The Seals live in a huge natural lake.
The big monkeys, lions and tigers have a bit old enclosures but good compared to many other zoos.
The also shows other animals as penguins, Wild dogs, Hyenas...

Slottskogen, Göteborg:
Not really a zoo more som enclosures in a large parks but still they show Penguins, harbour seals, Reindeer, Red, deer, Fallow deer, and some more animals. Free entrance.

Frankfurt Zoo: Been really long since my last visit but not really updated in a modern way. Still nice but have the problem of all inner-city zoos - space. They have a lot of iconic animals but should need a larger modernisation without being really bad.

Nürnberg Zoo: I recollected it as a great zoo but now - not really. It's totally ok but should need modernisation. The houses were closed due to the pandemi so we could not see the new Manatee and Dolphin pools. Many species though.

Köln Zoo: Same as the other German zoos above, totally ok but in need of space and more modern thinking. Small but nicely build cages for many of the animals.

Wuppertal Zoo: Build in a slope it is much walking up and down in this zoo. A bit run down, not terrible but some enclosures needs rebuilding, Sea Lions, Polar Bears, Bongos. "The Savanna" was a sandy yard with Sebras and Guinea fowls. The Lions has a so huge enclosure up top in the park som You could hardly see them.
Fun hanging metro system on the way out there Though.

Eriksbergs wild life reserve, Blekinge county, Sweden: A large private reserve created by an eccentric Swedish photographer and writer, Bengt Berg. He persuade the Swedish authorities to protect the Swedish three species of Swans and the two Eagles, imported the Canada Goose to Sweden though he thought that the Swedish gooses were going to be extinct.
But after that his rich wife bought a large area in Blekinge which he persuaded the authorities to let him fence in. Sweden has a long traditon of "allemansrätt", which basically means the You are aloud to walk everywhere on specific conditions. This park violated this. The couple then evicted about 100 poor families, around 1000 people and created a park in order to save the Swedish Red Deer.
Berg was a close friend to the german Nazi leaders and some of his income came from films and books he made in Germany before and during the war.
The Red Deer were nearly extinct and the few left lived around large castles owned by rich landowners. They was not willing to sell any animals to Berg, I read it as he was so nazi-friendly. So the Deers in the park are not the pure Swedish breed.
Some years ago the whole park was sold to a large company who has invested a lot in buildings and the park has now a restaurant's (one fine dining, 8 courses), safari lodge housing, A "savanna" to overlook from the spa.
The park hosts about 1600 animals; Red Deer, Visents (they sell many each year for re-impanting in Russia and eastern Europe), Pere Davids Deer, Fallow Deer, Wild Boar, Mufflon sheeps and a lot of birds.
You could eat a lot of the animals since they hunt in the winter, You could hunt yourself if You are willing to pay 30.000 euro for shooting a Red Deer...
It is a great park, a bit like the private reserves in Africa but really expensive.

I think that many of the larger inner-city zoos are downsizing the species they show and also the number of each animals in order to save costs and lack of space.
With more creative solutions this could be avoided but as zoos seldom make money they are in need of public spending and investments.
And Yes, I think zoos are necessary not mostly for saving species but for showing animals so modern city connect to the and not forget them.
With that said - the zoos has to provide as good living conditions as possible for the animals.

Lennart
Stockholm

My former list:

Sweden
Frösö djurpark
Skansen, Stockholm - like every year
Kolmården x 2
Borås x 2
Eskilstuna x 3
Skånes djurpark x 4
Nordens ark
Slottskogen x 3

Denmark
Copenhagen x 10
Copenhagen aquarium

Finland
Helsingfors x3

Estland
Tallin

Germany
Berlin zoo x 45
Berlin Tierpark x 4
Magdeburg
Augsburg
München
Frankfurt x 2
Rostock
Hagenbeck x 2
Hannover
Heidelberg

Netherlands
Amsterdam x 10
Rotterdam x 4
Arnhem

Belgium
Antwerpen x4
Planckendael x 2

France
Vincennes 8 x before redesign, 1 after
Jardin des Plantes x 8
Palmyre

Italy
Rome x 2
Falconara

Spain
Barcelona
Madrid
Valencia
Valencia aquarium
Playa des ingles (worst ever)

Portugal
Lissabon

Ireland
Dublin
Belfast

UK
London x 15
London aquarium
London Battersea
London Wetland centre
Whipsnade x 2
Edinburgh
Bristol
Colchester
Newquay

Austria
Wien x 2
Innsbruck

Schweiz
Zürich

Hungary
Budapest

USA
New York x 5
Bronx x 2
Chicago
Brookfield
San Francisco x 2
San Diego
San Diego safari park

Canada
Montreal biodome

Australien
Sydney
Sydney aquarium
Perth
Melbourne

South Africa
Kruger park (safari)

Namibia
Etosha (safari)
Sossusvlei (private reserve)
Onjala (private reserve)
Otjiwa (private reserve)

What a list! Is Skanes djurpark the small zoo of Stockholm?

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 3:36 am

Lennart wrote:

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, does this mean the cheetahs and the rhinos share an exhibit space?

Quote :

This was a really interesting (and it sounds like possibly controversial) history, and an interesting present, too! I have never heard of a zoo-like facility where you can hunt the animals.
Back to top Go down
Lennart

Country/State : Sweden

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 21, 2021 6:50 pm

Hi Andreas and Jill

Skånes djurpark is situated in Skåne, close to Malmö / Lund in the southern part of Sweden.

Stockholm don't really have a zoo. The open air museum Skansen have some swedish animals:
Lynx, Brown bear, Moose, Wolverine, Otter, Grey and harbour seals, Visent, old farm animals species, Owls and inside the area there is a establishment with snakes, small apes, crocodiles and small tropical animals. Visited it today in rain... The Wolves are finished and will be replace by polar foxes.

And yes, in Borås the cheetas share enclosure with the rhinos.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 24, 2021 3:29 pm

Lennart wrote:
Hi Andreas and Jill

Skånes djurpark is situated in Skåne, close to Malmö / Lund in the southern part of Sweden.

Stockholm don't really have a zoo. The open air museum Skansen have some swedish animals:
Lynx, Brown bear, Moose, Wolverine, Otter, Grey and harbour seals, Visent, old farm animals species, Owls and inside the area there is a establishment with snakes, small apes, crocodiles and small tropical animals. Visited it today in rain... The Wolves are finished and will be replace by polar foxes.

And yes, in Borås the cheetas share enclosure with the rhinos.

So i have visited the zoo of Stockholm :)

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 24, 2021 3:31 pm

Now on my list. Aquaword Hersonissos, Cretaqurium Heraklion and Amazonas Park Neapoli ( all of Crete)

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptyThu Dec 30, 2021 11:22 am

Zoo Wroclaw now

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 12, 2022 5:17 pm

Tierpark Freiberg now

Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 13, 2022 3:45 am

The zoos I have visited are:

ZooAmerica, Hershey, PA, my local zoo
Oceans of Fun (now Ocean Connections), Hershey, PA
National Aquarium, Baltimore, MD
Maryland Zoo, Baltimore, MD
Smithsonian National Zoological Park, Washington D.C.
Cape May County Zoo, Cape May, NJ
Disney's Animal Kingdom, Bay Lake, FL
Philadelphia Zoo, Philadelphia, PA
Elmwood Park Zoo, Norristown, PA
Lehigh Valley Zoo, Schnecksville, PA
Brandywine Zoo, Wilmington, DE

I've also been to Lake Tobias Wildlife Park in Halifax, PA, however they are not AZA accredited.

I'm hoping to add a few more this year as well.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2022 8:16 am

Aquarium Paris visited

Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 27, 2022 3:33 am

I have been to

Marwell Zoo - UK
Belle View Zoo - UK
Flamingo Land - UK
Hannover Zoo - Germany
Stuckenbruck - Germany
Stuttgart Zoo - Germany
Toronto Zoo - Canada
African Lion Safari - Canada
Ripley's Aquarium - Canada
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptyFri May 27, 2022 11:56 am

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 09, 2022 9:40 pm

Recently on holidays Palmitos Park,Gran Canaria-last time I was there was about 18yrs ago!

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 10, 2022 1:09 am

I recently revisited Zoo Knoxville to see their recent updates. If anyone lives near enough to go, you should certainly go see them - the new stuff is really good! Their reptile building is beautiful, with really good exhibits both indoor and outdoor. Plus they have added Asia and a brand new river otter habitat.

Seeing where everyone is going has me wishing I could do some traveling this summer to go see some facilities I've never been too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited   Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Which Zoos , Aquariums and other animal parques you have visited
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next