Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Walkaround: Japanese carpenter ant (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Walkaround: Japanese carpenter ant (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects) Empty
PostSubject: Walkaround: Japanese carpenter ant (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects)   Walkaround: Japanese carpenter ant (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects) EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 7:48 pm

Walk-around of the Japanese carpenter ant, Camponotus japonicus Mayr, 1866 by Takara Tomy A.R.T.S., B.I.G. Insects - 2017. This large ant species is distributed in East Asia. This species has been made once before (to my knowledge), as part of a 'caste' set by Epoch which included a queen and three (5?) workers; three workers are carrying various objects (one has a larva, the others various foodstuffs). Ant figures are rarely identified to the species, or genus, level, but other carpenter ants include the Texas carpenter ant (C. texanus) by Club Earth (Ants and Termites) and an unidentified species by K&M International (Insects Polybag).

The figure, like many Takara figures, requires some assembly. Mine came 8 pieces: head (including antennae), thorax + abdomen, and 6 legs. The antennae were attached but appear to be removable. The figure lacks ocelli, indicating it is a worker (interestingly, the Epoch figures ignored this bit of science and gave their workers ocelli!). It measures 75 mm making it 5:1-10:1 for an average worker (range 6-15 mm). The figure is solid black with no additional color highlights of any kind. The texture is nice and the color matte.

I was excited for this figure. Every year, T-T.A.R.T.S. releases a 'B.I.G. Insects' set, which usually consists of 4 scarabaeoid beetles and one other. The last two years there were mantids (different sizes and, as such, different sculpts), and in 2014 it was an Androctonus scorpion. Earlier than 2014 I am not sure, as I do not have complete sets, but needless to say an ant was a welcome addition.

One to the pics:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

with the Epoch 'family':

at home in one of my mini diorama sets:

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Walkaround: Japanese carpenter ant (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walkaround: Japanese carpenter ant (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects)   Walkaround: Japanese carpenter ant (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects) EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 10:39 pm

A interesting figurine

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Walkaround: Japanese carpenter ant (Takara Tomy A.R.T.S. - B.I.G. Insects)
Page 1 of 1