Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1/32 scale animals

Go down 
+32
Roger
Leyster
Saarlooswolfhound
sunny
Ana
thebritfarmer
Joliezac
Loon
George
Farm collector
Jill
Babdo
Pardofelis
Bonnie
Shanti
sphyrna18
bmathison1972
landrover
Advicot
costicuba
Wilorvise
Chris Sweetman
rogerpgvg
Melekh
bjarki12
pipsxlch
Blublub
WhiteLightning Wolf
Lennart
SUSANNE
Dark Pegasus
Woodlander
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

1/32 scale animals - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 5:31 pm

Leyster wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:
Very interesting! I discovered that it is a very large animal, do you have any extant 1:32 scale animals to compare it with?

I am already collecting too much, so I am not expanding my collection into dinosaurs, but I find them very interesting as reconstructions of what animals looked like in the past. I also like the fact that collectors of prehistoric animals often pay attention to scale.
No extant animals in 1:32 yet, sadly, but if you like I have the Schleich unpainted "Hans" guy.

If you have the Eofauna straight-tusked elephant, it will work too because it is almost the same size as an 1:32 scale African bush elephant.

Country/State : Italy

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 5:57 pm

Roger wrote:
Leyster wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:
Very interesting! I discovered that it is a very large animal, do you have any extant 1:32 scale animals to compare it with?

I am already collecting too much, so I am not expanding my collection into dinosaurs, but I find them very interesting as reconstructions of what animals looked like in the past. I also like the fact that collectors of prehistoric animals often pay attention to scale.
No extant animals in 1:32 yet, sadly, but if you like I have the Schleich unpainted "Hans" guy.

If you have the Eofauna straight-tusked elephant, it will work too because it is almost the same size as an 1:32 scale African bush elephant.
Sadly not, ATM the only Eofauna I own is the Atlasaurus. I'm planning to add some others soon.

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 6:13 pm

Wikipedia is helpful, it tells me that the Dicraeosaurus is a small diplodocoid at "only" 12 m length! Do you have a mammoth at 1:32 scale? I have a better idea of their size because it is similar to that of African bush elephants.

Back to the rays, I have got two other rays in 1:32 scale, both spotted eagle rays. One is by Colorata (on the right in photo below) and one by Play Visions. The Colorata comes from the same Sharks Box as the Colorata small reef manta ray I showed before. I got the Play Visions thanks to Yvette/75senta75.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

On the ventral side, the colour of the Colorata is more true to life and the mouth and eyes are also more realistic.

The disc width of the Colorata is 5.4/173 cm and that of the Play Visions is 6.6/211 cm. Most websites say that spotted eagle rays have a maximum disc width of 3 m, but this is highly questionable. Both Cuevas-Zimbrón et al. (2011, Fish Sci) and Tagliafico et al. (2012, Fishery Bull) say that their maximum size is 230 cm. Together, these articles and an article by Bassos-Hull (2014, Environ Biol Fish) measured over 2300 spotted eagle rays and the largest had a 226 cm DW. Most are much smaller, often juveniles. Tagliafico et al. reported that the mean DW at maturity was estimated at 129.2 cm for males and 134.9 cm for females.

Here are my spotted eagle rays with my smallest and largest reef manta rays. It’s worth noting that reef manta rays very rarely, if ever, attain the size of the Schleich. The Colorata reef manta ray has a much more common size.

And here they are with my smallest and largest giant manta rays. Again, it is very uncommon for giant manta rays to reach their maximum size.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 6:18 pm

study study study

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2022 11:43 pm

The magic of collecting at a certain scale, how wonderful is to see those rays together?
Colorata is in average superior in terms of quality when compared with Play Visions but their sets were marketed at different price levels too. For tube like figures, Play Visions are very good.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2022 9:49 am

Wonderful topic that makes me realise, thanks to its useful pictures, that models I believed so different are actually at the same scale! Big thanks to you all! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2022 12:26 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Wikipedia is helpful, it tells me that the Dicraeosaurus is a small diplodocoid at "only" 12 m length! Do you have a mammoth at 1:32 scale? I have a better idea of their size because it is similar to that of African bush elephants.

Given that relatively few dinosaurs are known by a complete skeletons and that companies might not follow proportion closely, I tend to favor skull/femur lenght over total lenght (which can vary wildly from various sources). Sadly, no mammals in my collection yet, at any scale, Hans excluded, so here he is:
Keep in mind that the Ankylosaurus here to be 1:32 is scaled to the largestmost specimen: other specimens are way smaller (it's more or less 1:26 for those).

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2022 5:26 am

even though I collect at 1/32nd scale, I will also add in animals that are slightly oversized (because I love the model) and ones that are smaller too.
The bigger ones will just be better fed versions (the same with humans Laughing Laughing  )
and the smaller ones I use as juveniles, babies and smaller adults and even a particular geographical smaller species.
Just as in real life - you get a plethora of different sizes all around.

It's great to see all those manta rays. My point is - perhaps some could be babies in the shoal ?
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2022 10:58 am

Thanks, everyone!

widukind: Yes, it takes some study to work out the scales, but for me that's part of the fun.

Rogério: Oh, I like the Play Visions. I particularly appreciate that they made so many different species and they are painted very well for toob figures. For sealife, the advantages of collecting to scale are reduced a bit because many animals, especially fish, continue to grow all their lives, so they have a very large size range. The mantas make this quite clear: there is a big difference between the smallest and the largest adults I have.

Caracal: Yes, it's often surprising to see which animals scale together. One of the joys of collecting to scale.

Leyster: It makes sense to use skull/femur length. Tail length in particular isn't very representative of the size of the animal and companies often get the relative tail length wrong (rays are a good example). With my extant animals, I prefer to use shoulder height or head+body length. I believe Hans is a bit smaller than 1:32 scale. That's OK, but just to make sure that I add a bit of length in my imagination Very Happy.

Sunny: All the rays in the photos are 1:32 scale: There are quite large within-species size differences. But you are right, smaller figures can be used as young ones. This works especially well with rays and sharks, because juveniles are most commonly found. Not entirely clear why. Perhaps they don't often reach adulthood or perhaps the adults are in parts of the ocean where they are less easily spotted (deep seas, further offshore). When they are born, most rays and sharks are like mini-adults; they don't look very different from the adults apart from their size. 

As you can imagine, I have a lot of figures that are slightly too small or large for 1:32 scale, and at some point I need to establish a sub- and supra- 1:32 reserve. For my 1:32 scale reserve, I prefer to be strict, because I enjoy size comparisons and otherwise there will be mayhem, like my chickens chasing foxes and my rats eating cats. I quite like to maintain the natural order Very Happy.

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2022 4:36 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Thanks, everyone!
Leyster: It makes sense to use skull/femur length. Tail length in particular isn't very representative of the size of the animal and companies often get the relative tail length wrong (rays are a good example). With my extant animals, I prefer to use shoulder height or head+body length. I believe Hans is a bit smaller than 1:32 scale. That's OK, but just to make sure that I add a bit of length in my imagination Very Happy.
If you need a reference, Hans (including the base but excluding the ring) is exactly 4,5 cm tall.

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2022 6:18 pm

Thanks, it's useful for me to know the exact measurement.

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 12:15 pm

Out of curiosity, is there a thread for asking/discussiong figures general scales (not 1:32)?

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 9:51 pm

Leyster wrote:
Out of curiosity, is there a thread for asking/discussiong figures general scales (not 1:32)?

No, we have several topics where scales are discussed or topics to show figures that look great together but not a topic for asking the scale of each figure.

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptySun Feb 20, 2022 10:46 pm

Some collection threads like the Blaine's natural history museum or Gecko08's collection include the scale for each of the figures they present, and they have many! It's a very useful guide for other scale-conciousness collectors :)

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 1:14 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Some collection threads like the Blaine's natural history museum or Gecko08's collection include the scale for each of the figures they present, and they have many! It's a very useful guide for other scale-conciousness collectors :)

Thank you, I'll have a look

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 7:00 pm

It would be useful to have a central topic where we can ask questions about the size or scale of a figure. It's a question that often comes up. When you are looking for the size of a specific figure, it can be hard to find. I often use the Lego block (9.6 mm high) on TAW, but depending on the angle of the camera, it isn't always a very precise method. Shall I start a topic?

sunny

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 7:55 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
It would be useful to have a central topic where we can ask questions about the size or scale of a figure. It's a question that often comes up. When you are looking for the size of a specific figure, it can be hard to find. I often use the Lego block (9.6 mm high) on TAW, but depending on the angle of the camera, it isn't always a very precise method. Shall I start a topic?

perhaps each figure on TAW could have it's measurements included, written in the info section below it ? like length and height, and doesn't matter if it's imperial or metric scale as we can use an online calculator to work it out (but it's 2.54cm in an inch). I've never had lego Very Happy Very Happy and I'm not familiar with the size - I didn't even know it was 9.6mm high, ha ha thank you Roger! and I have only a few figures outside the 1/32nd scale, so for me it's been an interesting journey trying to judge the size of all the models I see Very Happy cyclops

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 10:50 pm

Roger, you can surely open a topic, you don't need our permission to do it. If we find a certain topic inappropriate, we just call the police and they take care of it. Laughing
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], about the idea of introducing the sizes of the models on TAW, I really find it very useful and I already did it sometimes with a few AAA or Safari figures. That informatiion is useful even for editors. The problem is always the same, it takes time and we always have a lot of things to do on TAW.
Maybe, a good idea, could be a certain editor, not used with the advanced tools, to dedicate his time adding the sizes of the models. It is simple in terms of editing it just requires time but it is much easier if we make a series in a row through catalogue measurements or so.

sunny

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 11:47 pm

Roger wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], about the idea of introducing the sizes of the models on TAW, I really find it very useful and I already did it sometimes with a few AAA or Safari figures. That informatiion is useful even for editors. The problem is always the same, it takes time and we always have a lot of things to do on TAW.
Maybe, a good idea, could be a certain editor, not used with the advanced tools, to dedicate his time adding the sizes of the models. It is simple in terms of editing  it just requires time but it is much easier if we make a series in a row through catalogue measurements or so.

that is a great idea Roger, and I was thinking if there was a photo of the images on one page, like a photo catalogue of the models or perhaps even just a few of the models ? with the sizes written up against them, and posted in the Makers page ?

for example ?
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 10:21 am

The Collecta Mantellisaurus is 1:31 for NHMUK R5764 (so usable as 1:32 considering some margin of error in measurements/intraspecific variation).

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 7:09 pm

Roger wrote:
Roger, you can surely open a topic, you don't need our permission to do it. If we find a certain topic inappropriate, we just call the police and they take care of it. Laughing

I've opened a size topic. If the police hunts me down, then you are also implicated Very Happy.

I may add size info to figures I put on TAW in future. I should say that if you collect strictly to scale like I do, size information is only useful if it is sufficiently precise. I am often tricked by information that says that a figure is 2 inches, when in fact it is 2.2 inches Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2022 11:59 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Roger wrote:

I've opened a size topic. If the police hunts me down, then you are also implicated Very Happy.

I may add size info to figures I put on TAW in future. I should say that if you collect strictly to scale like I do, size information is only useful if it is sufficiently precise. I am often tricked by information that says that a figure is 2 inches, when in fact it is 2.2 inches Very Happy.

Laughing You know that 2 inches and 3 inches are sizes often used generically for blisters, tube or bulk figures. As often these figures have completely different shapes, these measurements are a kind of average size when their length or height is quite variable.

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2022 4:06 pm

The PNSO Tarbosaurus is 1:31, so it can well represent an 1:32 specimen.

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2022 7:44 pm

Interesting to see these dinosaurs. It doesn't look like his arms could have been of much use! Is it the case that some large reptiles like crocodiles keep growing throughout their lifespan? And was this the case with dinosaurs?

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 EmptySat Mar 05, 2022 2:37 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Interesting to see these dinosaurs. It doesn't look like his arms could have been of much use! Is it the case that some large reptiles like crocodiles keep growing throughout their lifespan? And was this the case with dinosaurs?
Tyrannosaurid arms retain flexion ability and hooked claws, so I supposed they had some sort of function (compare them with Abelisaur arms, which are athrophied). Still Tarbosaurus has the most reduced arms among all Tyrannosauroids. kinda hard to imagine their use.
About the continuous growth, as far as I know dinosaurs stop growing at some point, but they reach sexual maturity before stopping growing (so the vast majority of specimens in the museums are not at their full size).

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 24 Empty

Back to top Go down

1/32 scale animals
Page 24 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next