Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1/32 scale animals

Go down 
+32
Roger
Leyster
Saarlooswolfhound
sunny
Ana
thebritfarmer
Joliezac
Loon
George
Farm collector
Jill
Babdo
Pardofelis
Bonnie
Shanti
sphyrna18
bmathison1972
landrover
Advicot
costicuba
Wilorvise
Chris Sweetman
rogerpgvg
Melekh
bjarki12
pipsxlch
Blublub
WhiteLightning Wolf
Lennart
SUSANNE
Dark Pegasus
Woodlander
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

1/32 scale animals - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyTue Mar 21, 2023 11:55 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
It's a great looking mammoth. I don't collect prehistoric animals, but wait, when the Egyptians and Sumerians invented the script, mammoths still roamed the earth Very Happy.

lol! Will you dare to start collecting extinct animals? affraid

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyWed Mar 22, 2023 8:05 pm

I find extinct animal models interesting as hypotheses of what prehistoric animals might have looked like, but because we cannot be sure, they don't attract me much as a collector. Woolly mammoths are different in that respect because we now have a pretty good idea of what they looked like. The problem is that if I collect one woolly mammoth, he doesn't want it to be alone, so I need to find more. Perhaps when I don't have much else to collect, I'll consider it, but right now I still find too many extant animal figures in 1/32 scale.

bjarki12

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyFri Mar 24, 2023 10:28 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Kaiyodo Wild Rush series

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptySat Mar 25, 2023 2:40 am

Kikimalou wrote:
One more candidate for a 1/32 collection, the TNG wooly mammoth Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

so impressive and beautiful!
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyMon Mar 27, 2023 1:40 pm

This Yujin knob coral came up in today's daily 'Museum' post and can fall within the 1:32 scale range. The figure is 2.5 cm in diameter which puts in a broad scale of 1:12-1:40 for a large colony

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyMon Mar 27, 2023 2:11 pm

Great cheers
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyTue Mar 28, 2023 3:56 pm

Great photo and very interesting model. Unfortunately, these Yujin corals are hard to find.

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyWed Apr 12, 2023 5:52 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
For the 20th century, Marx is probably the brand that sold the most, but that's not the point.
What I meant was that Britains, like all brands of the past, thrived in a world with much more closed borders than today. I have always lived near the Belgian border and I can measure the change. The solvent market was also much smaller.
For me Schleich is really the first truly universal brand, with fans in all countries, because it arrived at the right time, in the early 2000s when international trade was intensifying and the internet was born.

In the past countries were very protective in regard to home manufactured products and imports were taxed to the max unless the country in question had reciprocal trading arrangements with other countries. In Britains case there was the British Empire until the 1960's and toy figures, soldiers and animals from Britain were sold in this market. In addition they were sold in the USA perhaps the largest retail market globally. Britains were also manufactured under license in some South American countries for their home markets as there wasn't trading agreements in place. Before joining the EEC the UK had reciprocal trading arrangements with the Scandinavian countries. Copyright is a British invention but this didn't stop manufacturers residing in Hong Kong, Singapore et al copying stuff and selling them in essentially the same market!

Germany until the Great War was the global centre of toy production and sold their products throughout the world. Even today in the bucket full of farm or wild animals available in supermarkets and low cost outlets across the globe there still can be seen copies of Elastolin models in super bright and largely non authentic colours.

Agree regarding Schleich now being a universal brand as they became available in the UK starting from the mid-1970's due to the UK being in the EEC/EU. BTW Solido, a respected French brand of model cars, started appearing in toy/model shops across the UK also in the mid-1970's. Before this they were only available from minority small scale traders.

OK today we have the internet and we can purchase stuff from anywhere but it is highly likely that one will still pay taxes if you bought from outside your country's recognised trading area. So, some things haven't changed!

Last edited by Chris Sweetman on Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyWed Apr 12, 2023 5:57 pm

sunny wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:
I came across one of the long arms ones - but with a tail!  here it is -

Looks like these missed the boat (ark) and became extinct! Unfortunately, no fossil records remain.  Very Happy

Last edited by Chris Sweetman on Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisstar4/
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyWed Apr 12, 2023 9:00 pm

Thank goodness there are plastic records Very Happy.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 16, 2023 6:39 pm

A while ago, I completed my JEOL collection. Let’s celebrate that here! My JEOL collection isn’t completely complete Very Happy because I miss the elephants and the giraffe. They are so rare and expensive that I don’t think I will ever get them, but I can live with that because I have enough other elephants and the giraffe is far too large for 1/32 scale.

Here they are:

JEOLs were the first figures I collected after starting with Britains, but it has taken me quite a while to find them all. They are all African mammals and were probably first produced around 1977-1978. The JEOL figures are generally said to be 1/32 scale and going by the size of their elephants relative to the other animals, my impression is that they indeed tried to make their animals to scale. With the exception of Britains, this differs from other companies of this period, which generally made their large animals (such as elephants) too small and their small animals too large. But are the JEOLs really 1/32 scale? Let’s see.

Here are the beautiful lions:

The male lion has a hip height of 3.6/115 cm. The largest lions I have been able to find are shown in a graph in Ferreira and Funston (2010, South African Journal of Wildlife Research), having a shoulder height of 97-118 cm. Lions in other reports are smaller, but I think we can accept the JEOL.

Here is a comparison with the early version Britains, which is slightly smaller (3.5/112 cm):

The lioness is impossible to measure accurately, but it looks as large as the lion. Females are normally substantially smaller than males. In Ferreira and Funston (2010), the females were 87-99 cm in shoulder height, although they can sometimes be slightly larger. For example, Meinertzhagen (1938) reports lionesses between 86 and 102 cm.

Here is the JEOL with the early version Britains:

Even the Britains lioness is probably too large, but the JEOL definitely is.

The lion cub is sometimes mistaken for a tiger because of its stripes, but as JEOL only made African animals, it must be a lion. I don’t know why they gave it stripes. As far as I know, young lions have spots rather than stripes. The lion cub is also very large; in fact, with a shoulder height of 2.8/90 cm, it could be an adult.

A comparison with the Britains lion cubs:

The leopard probably has the least realistic appearance of the JEOLs, though it looks good nevertheless.

It is 2.2/70.4 cm at the shoulder and has a 4.2/134 cm head+body length. We saw before (Papo tube leopard) that leopards can be up to at least 142 cm in length, so the JEOL is fine. Here it is with the Britains:

And with the Papo:

The third predator that JEOL made is the spotted hyena.

Its shoulder height is 3.0/96 cm. That’s rather too large. Hayssen and Noonan (2021, Mammalian Species) report shoulder heights between 70 and 88.5 cm. Wikipedia says they can be up to 91.5 cm (referring to Kingdon, 1988), which isn’t much larger and the precise number suggests that it was an actual measurement.

Britains didn’t make hyenas, so instead I compare them to a Colorata and two Bandais. The Colorata is 2.8/90 cm and the standing Bandai is 2.3/74 cm at the shoulder.

More JEOL animals next time …
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 16, 2023 11:23 pm

Let's celebrate the completion of an imcomplete Jeol collection. Wink Laughing cheers
This is a wonderful and puzzling series. First, it seems something unusual when a brand with such a small animal range can make so beautiful figures. Lion males are really hard to get right, many brands need to release many of them before achieving a good result.
Then, since they assumed such good proportions with most of the animals, why is the giraffe much larger than it should be when it uses to be the other way around?
Even the fact the brand is called Jeol and not Geol is weird. Their product numbers use a G and Geol sounds more like something related to science than Jeol.
The promotion of the series identifies the young feline as a lion and it is what it really is. Lion cubs usually show spots during their first months but they also show stripes sometimes. Stripes turn into spots when they fade.
In my opinion, it may mean that lion ancestors were striped. Curiously, tigers are considered the closest relatives of the lions among extant animals and they seem to have shared a common ancestor not long ago. Since tigers evolved in forested regions, the striped pattern favored them. Instead of calling natal coat to your cub, I'd suggest those should be called primitive markings being the Jeol model a very primitive one. Laughing
Thanks for sharing. Very Happy

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 3:56 pm

Thanks for the information about lion stripes; good to know. Given that lion cubs are initially spotted, were the ancestors of lions striped or spotted?

JEOL means "Japan Electron Optics Laboratory". Their main business is electron microscopes: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Apparently, the animal models were a pet project of the company's director (you may remember this post):
Jason2013 wrote:
Just in case anyone was wondering about JEOL, we are a Japanese company and have been making Electron Microscopes for over 60 years. The President of the company in the 1970's had a personal desire to promote education among young people and commissioned the production of the toy animals as part of this strategy. The venture was short lived, but we still make Electron Microscopes today.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No idea why they made the giraffe so large.

JEOL is listed as a Hong Kong company on TAW. The figures were indeed made in Hong Kong, but because the company is Japanese, wouldn't it be better to list it under Japan? Interestingly, I frequently check Japanese auction websites for animal figures, but I have never come across a JEOL. I wonder whether they weren't sold in Japan. They seem to be most common (still rare) in the UK. Does anyone know whether they were sold anywhere else?
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 5:26 pm

Lovely animals. Especially your pack of hyenas!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 7:30 pm

Very interesting comparison pictures! What a pity these Jeol models are so rare! The leopard seems to have been imitated by some chinese production:

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 8:15 pm

Wonderful collection of Jeols!I so regret not getting these models at the time.I used to get a weekly magazine called World of Wildlife and they advertised these models for sale on the back of a few of them and I sadly never bought them. Sad Sad

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 9:15 pm

Thank you, everyone! Yes, the benefit of hindsight is a great thing. I hope you will find them second hand, Taylor.

I also have a JEOL leopard copy. When I bought it in a lot on Ebay, I thought I had found a cheapy. It was cheap, but not a JEOL. JEOL on the left, copy on the right:
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 9:59 pm

That's why i wrote "imitated" and not "copied"!

Thank you for this comparison picture which shows they have the same size! cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 11:48 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Thanks for the information about lion stripes; good to know. Given that lion cubs are initially spotted, were the ancestors of lions striped or spotted?

JEOL means "Japan Electron Optics Laboratory". Their main business is electron microscopes: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Apparently, the animal models were a pet project of the company's director (you may remember this post):
Jason2013 wrote:
Just in case anyone was wondering about JEOL, we are a Japanese company and have been making Electron Microscopes for over 60 years. The President of the company in the 1970's had a personal desire to promote education among young people and commissioned the production of the toy animals as part of this strategy. The venture was short lived, but we still make Electron Microscopes today.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

No idea why they made the giraffe so large.

JEOL is listed as a Hong Kong company on TAW. The figures were indeed made in Hong Kong, but because the company is Japanese, wouldn't it be better to list it under Japan? Interestingly, I frequently check Japanese auction websites for animal figures, but I have never come across a JEOL. I wonder whether they weren't sold in Japan. They seem to be most common (still rare) in the UK. Does anyone know whether they were sold anywhere else?

Thanks for recovering all this information about Jeol. I fixed it on TAW, Hong Kong is just the place where they were manufactured, the brand is Japanese, so you are right. Very Happy
It is not mandatory, features present on cubs are not necesarily present on ancestors but often they are and it is absolutely fantastic when some animals are in their embryonic or fetal stage. Some iconic examples are tails in human embryos: which are gradually absorbed by the body during development. Those whales with baleen plates, have embryos with regular teeth or digit structures in birds that are fused in a later stage to form the wings.
Some seal pups are covered in soft, dense fur shortly after birth. This is a feature of their terrestrial ancestors.
So, likely the lion cub spots are vestigial from their ancestors.
Actually, the controversial Papo Smilodon seems like the brand adopted it as a lion ancestor. I'm sure they wanted to represent it and the vestigial markings are a good idea, however, smilodons are not lion ancestors, not even closely related.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyTue Apr 18, 2023 7:18 am

Kikimalou wrote:
One more candidate for a 1/32 collection, the TNG wooly mammoth Very Happy

Could you post here a comparison picture with muskoxes and reindeers from Starlux please?
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyTue Apr 18, 2023 9:43 pm

Sorry, I don't have them here to take photos now, but there is a comparison of the Kaiyodo and Starlux musk oxen [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And the Kaiyodo and Starlux reindeer [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyTue Apr 18, 2023 10:21 pm

Thank you for the links Roger! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyTue Apr 18, 2023 10:27 pm

Thank you Roger, so I don't need to make pics Very Happy

Very interresting to read about lion cubs and Jeol, I forgot the Japanese origin. Too bad they never reach France at that time drunken `

I loooove that Lioness !
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyTue Apr 18, 2023 10:52 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:

Here they are:

what a wonderful celebration Roger! I hope you manage to get the giraffe and elephants for your collection.
Do the elephants need to be complete with ears and tusks?

The hyena comparison is very interesting.

I think the sculptor/artist who did these sculpts is exceptionally talented. The details and nuances of each animal is spot on and they must have studied them for a long time to notice these. The Jeols are in a category all by themselves. The detailing on the impala hocks - with the black tufts is superb, and the very thin life like legs. I cannot admire these figures enough Very Happy and every piece in their collection is incredible. I think the plastic choice also helped a lot in the final model and it is a true credit to the manufacturer in Hong Kong for producing quality figures.
The softness of the spray painting also takes them to another level and makes them inimitable.

In regards to the lion cubs with stripes - I saw 3 cubs a couple of weeks ago, and they all had stripes on them. It was at night, and in the light that's the way that they appeared. I didn't get a pic of them but if I see them again I will try to get one. I immediately thought of the Jeol cubs :) sunny
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 EmptyWed Apr 19, 2023 4:24 pm

It's great that you have a chance to see lions regularly. Do you live on the African Savannah? Or are they in Edinburgh Zoo Wink. I agree about the quality of the JEOL figures. I suspect the company director was a collector and made sure that he was completely happy with the products. I'd be happy with JEOL elephants without tusks (they could probably be repaired). It depends on the price, but the only time I saw an adult JEOL elephant, it went for a fortune even without tusks.

Andreas just posted a photo of a K&M leopard [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I don't know whether it is common for K&M (made by Wing Mao?) to imitate models and it is also very uncommon for JEOLs to be copied/imitated. Perhaps the similarities are just accidental.

PostSubject: Re: 1/32 scale animals   1/32 scale animals - Page 38 Empty

Back to top Go down

1/32 scale animals
Page 38 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next