Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Megaptera's Collection

Go down 
+30
RtasVadumee
Advicot
spacelab
Steve170
MartinH
Saarlooswolfhound
Caspian
Caracal
1claire
Megaptera
Tarunyada
Pardofelis
Roger
widukind
Jolly Reaper
Rakel
sauroid
EmmaMary
Wilorvise
75senta75
barracudacat
Kikimalou
Anne from Norway
lucky luke
landrover
CWGross
bmathison1972
SUSANNE
Bloodrayne
Taos
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2019 11:41 pm

It is great that they sell these individually. My problem with tubes is that often I only want or two figures from a certain tube. I also hope you have enjoyed the zoo. Very Happy

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptySat Apr 13, 2019 10:26 am

I hope to find some beauties (especially Wild Republic) in the week after Easter in Vienna, especially in the Zoo of Schönbrunn.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptySat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: yes, the Zoo Hellabrunn has some very special species like the Lowland Nyala, Columbia Brown-headed Spider Monkeys or Persian Fallow Deers. And they have Papo, Safari, CollectA and others.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: and you have to visit the Natural History Museum. They have all models of different brands in their shop.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptySat Apr 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Megaptera wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: yes, the Zoo Hellabrunn has some very special species like the Lowland Nyala, Columbia Brown-headed Spider Monkeys or Persian Fallow Deers. And they have Papo, Safari, CollectA and others.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: and you have to visit the Natural History Museum. They have all models of different brands in their shop.

Small or major brands?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptySat Apr 13, 2019 11:08 pm

Nearly all major brands and some of the small ones.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptySun Apr 14, 2019 10:09 am

Megaptera wrote:
Nearly all major brands and some of the small ones.

Thank you :)

Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 6:31 am

My newcomer: the Safari Aardvark:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 8:53 am

here is a species scarcely edited by european common brands, I only knew the old prime Prior one!.. this Safari one seems accurate.. :)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 6:36 pm

A nice but a very huge aardvaark

Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks to both of you. Yes, it's really an aardvark monster Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2019 10:00 am

I also have this aardvark, despite having a few other smaller ones, this is the one I like best. I remember some collectors not wanting it because of its size and later, regreting their decision once it got retired. Fortunately Safari re-released it. Aardvarks are never too many and I hope other major brands are brave enough to release it. pig

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Yes, I also wasn't sure if I add it to my collection, because of its size. But it really is a wonderful model, so I add it.
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 7:47 pm

My newcomer: the Papo Somali Hedgehog

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 8:12 pm

I always find interesting your species identifications. Why do you think it is a Somali hedgehog and not a four-toed hedgehog or even a common hedgehog? Papo website does not make any reference to species and it is strange that they make an unusual species without any reference to it. I really hope you are right. Very Happy

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 8:20 pm

It's because of the colouration. The snout is much darker and this colour goes on to the eyes. The toes are also quite dark and not that light in colour like the four-toed hedgehog. And also the ears are quite similar.
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2019 8:21 pm

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2019 11:23 pm

Very convincent but also very surprising! Shocked

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2019 6:50 am

Yes, first I was also thinking it would be a common hedgehog. But then I found remarkable hints, that this one is a Somali Hedgehog.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2019 1:04 pm

there is nothing to suggest this isn't just a four-toed (domestic) hedgehog, especially since it was released as a 'Farm' animal (or so someone on the forum indicated).

BUT, it's a figure in your collection so you can call it whatevre you want (just like my butterflies :-).
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2019 7:00 pm

No, it's part of the wild life range.

And the overall look is more a Somali Hedgehog:)
But as always, it is a toy figurine. On the picture above is a Somali Hedgehog. I think it looks like quite similar.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2019 9:33 pm

The catalogue is one of the reasons why I'd never guess it could be a Somali hedgehog. It is clearly presented among other Forest animals, mostly based on European fauna as it is traditional with Papo. I know it is not a rule, we can see pandas around but once Papo is often very inaccurate with generic animals, I am afraid it is just a common hedgehog and the painter used a few four-toed hedgehog pictures as reference once they are very popular as pets. The result was a kind of hybrid that surely looks like a Somali but in a kind of coincidence. In that picture we can see the infamous badger, it is much probably just an European badger but we could easily approach it to other badger species. Just a bad...ger in my opinion.

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2019 9:57 pm

Yes, with its short snout it also could be a Caucasian Badger:)
Papo wanted to create a typical European Hedgehog, but they used a bit the colouration of the Four-toed hedgehog. In this case, they created a Somali Hedgehog just for us:)
It is like the older crocodile from Schleich. They tried to create a Nile Crocodile, but the shape and the colouration was more like a Mugger Crocodile. In the end, also Schleich said that it's a Mugger Crocodile.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2019 10:17 pm

As a collector, I just think like you and I feel happy that the figure looks somewhat like a Somali hedgehog. A company do what they want and a collector uses the figure in his own way. My life as a TAW editor is not that easy and when there is no official source and the figure is ambiguous, we have to read brand manager's minds. Wink
I didn't recall that story about the Schleich crocodile. What I remember is the previous croc being identifyied as a dwarf crocodile (Osteolaemus tetraspis) in their website. Actually, you have the newer Schleich black panther listed as a leopard and isn't it more like a jaguar? The most embarrassing of ever were the emperor penguin chicks identifyied as king penguins and with a king penguin as a parent. It was wrong even in catalogues. Fortunately they fixed it one year after the release of the figure.
Back to Papo, we have the new hyena but we still need to check the real thing. It seems sculpted like a brown hyena but painted as a spotted hyena. Laughing

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Yes, first Schleich names it Dwarf Crocodile but later it became a Mugger Crocodile. Because in german the Dwarf one is the Stumpfkrokodil and the Mugger one the Sumpfkrokodil Very Happy
Yes, I will also check that hyena:)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 11:26 pm

You're right Roger, as soon as I discovered the new Papo hyena project, I sent a mail to their website to supplie them to change the painting and replace spots by stripes but as usually, they never replied.. I shall have to do it by myself.. and about the Schleich black panther, it's exactly the same mold as the jaguar one, so it's a black jaguar and nothing else!.. another exemple with Papo last wonderful gorilla, presented as a mountain gorilla although it's a very accurate western one.. understands who can!.. drunken  scratch  :)

Last edited by Caracal on Thu May 02, 2019 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

Megaptera's Collection
Page 17 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next