Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround

Go down 
+8
75senta75
Seeway
bmathison1972
Roger
widukind
LukaLeon085
SUSANNE
A.R.Garcia
12 posters
AuthorMessage
A.R.Garcia

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround Empty
PostSubject: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptyTue Jan 30, 2018 10:48 am

I rarely get new figures so soon after their release, but Safari's 2018 leopard seal captured my interest, so I prioritized it along with a few other new ones. It is even better in person than I expected, and its creator seems to have paid careful attention to proportions and form. Take a look and see if you agree:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
(^Here you can see its little tail I love you )

I think its head captures the look of the real animal:

A couple pictures playing around with it:

With Nature Techni Colour leopard seal:

With other phocids- Safari harp seal and pup, Papo harbor seal:

I hope that gives a good idea of it. I'm really enjoying this figure. Smile

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptyTue Jan 30, 2018 2:10 pm

Great walkaround, helpful, charming comparisons, and wonderful photos cheers

Leopard seals are perhaps the most scary animal I know,  but it is also immenselky beautyful, and this model is near perfect Very Happy

A.R.Garcia wrote:

cheers lol! cheers

LukaLeon085

LukaLeon085

Country/State : ITALY

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptyTue Jan 30, 2018 2:48 pm

Wow!beautiful!

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptyTue Jan 30, 2018 6:02 pm

Nice leopard seal :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptyTue Jan 30, 2018 10:05 pm

This leopard seal is really growing on me and your excellent walk around is reinforcing this feeling. Thanks for your interesting topic. Very Happy

A.R.Garcia

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptyWed Jan 31, 2018 12:13 am

I'm glad you like the family portrait, Susanne. Laughing
I agree about the appearance of leopard seals. I think pinnipeds in general occupy a fine line between cute and scary.

Roger, I would recommend it, of course. It is in a nice pose for sitting comfortably on display, and its realism appeals to me in a way that the CollectA version didn't- though that version is better if you need to catch a lot of penguins. Wink

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptyWed Jan 31, 2018 2:06 am

I am not a mammologist, but others who are more familiar with this species swear it is a fantastic model, better than last year's CollectA figure.
Back to top Go down
Seeway

Seeway

Country/State : Taiwan

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptySat Feb 24, 2018 5:48 am

Nice and informative photos to share, thank you very much.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 7:48 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
Great walkaround, helpful, charming comparisons, and wonderful photos cheers

Leopard seals are perhaps the most scary animal I know,  but it is also immenselky beautyful, and this model is near perfect Very Happy

A.R.Garcia wrote:

cheers lol! cheers

I love this pic Very Happy

All these new leopard seals are interresting but at the end they gave me a great appetite for the small Kitan Club one.
Back to top Go down
75senta75

75senta75

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptyThu Oct 31, 2019 9:28 pm

Oh, I missed this topic! So nice presentation! You are right Christophe. These faces.... just great!

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptyFri Nov 01, 2019 1:36 am

I love it. Thanks for the photos Andy. You make me want it.

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptyFri Nov 01, 2019 8:47 am

I was somewhat tempted to substitute my old CollectA leopard seal by this Safari one. I hate substituting my figures as I lose the order of acquisition that I keep in a list, and I never did. But the CollectA's leopard seal is sooo thin-necked, making it too unrealistic while the Safari one is much better... also better in size I think (CollectA's one is too big)

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptyFri Nov 01, 2019 12:21 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
I was somewhat tempted to substitute my old CollectA leopard seal by this Safari one. I hate substituting my figures as I lose the order of acquisition that I keep in a list, and I never did. But the CollectA's leopard seal is sooo thin-necked, making it too unrealistic while the Safari one is much better... also better in size I think (CollectA's one is too big)

I was planning on the Safari one, but I went with the Papo one that came out this year (I'll be posting my pinnipeds with other miscellaneous carnivores in November)
Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

A.R.Garcia

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptySat Nov 02, 2019 9:57 pm

The Papo looks accurate while retaining the active pose. Blaine, I'll look forward to seeing a picture of it for a better idea of its size and paint application.

Pardofelis wrote:
But the CollectA's leopard seal is sooo thin-necked, making it too unrealistic while the Safari one is much better... also better in size I think (CollectA's one is too big)
I assumed the CollectA was a similar size or smaller, but I guess I didn't look into it. study  You'll probably have two good options with both the Safari and Papo.

Christophe, regarding the Kitan one I agree, and it has made me want to add a larger group of NTC/Kaiyodo-sized seals and dolphins...a slippery slope...

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptySun Nov 03, 2019 7:08 pm

Slippery slope... A great way of collecting Laughing
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptySun Nov 03, 2019 8:37 pm

I still think that also the one from CollectA is quite accurate. I believe it resembles a Leopard Seal like this one:

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptySun Nov 03, 2019 11:21 pm

Yes, is accurate.. otherwise I would have not bought it Razz but still is very thin-necked, while Papo and Safari leopard seals are more look-alike the real animal with a more thick neck. Anyway at the moment I will keep my CollectA one :)

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptySun Nov 03, 2019 11:27 pm

CollectA - Papo - Safari. They are all a win!
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround EmptySun Nov 03, 2019 11:45 pm

Yes, they all have their own interpretation of this animal. They are well made. There can be also differences within a species and all 3 companies have shown some of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround   Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround Empty

Back to top Go down

Leopard Seal by Safari Ltd. 2018- a walkaround
Page 1 of 1