Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki

Go down 
+30
bmathison1972
Joliezac
Spinosaurus
Stripedhyena
endogenylove
Koikinguu
Gecko08
Jill
Taos
George
Roy-Swetsie
Babdo
ikessauro
Birdsage
cmj3
Duck-Anch-Amun
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Dutch Bear
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Advicot
spacelab
rogerpgvg
sbell
aschuck
pipsxlch
Wienerwald
jarda
Pardofelis
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
AuthorMessage
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyMon Nov 13, 2023 10:19 pm

It was just pointed out on the DTF (inadvertently) that the photo for the Dinotales series 1.2 Anhanguera is the wrong model!

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Kaiyodo_Dinotales_1-2_Anhanguera

Especially embarrassing since that's my photo in the wrong figure! I'd offer my photo of 1.2 but...it's so bad. Just so bad. Somebody probably has a much better one.Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 Hpim2710

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 Hyena-circle

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2023 12:35 am

sbell wrote:
It was just pointed out on the DTF (inadvertently) that the photo for the Dinotales series 1.2 Anhanguera is the wrong model!

Especially embarrassing since that's my photo in the wrong figure! I'd offer my photo of 1.2 but...it's so bad. Just so bad. Somebody probably has a much better one.Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 Hpim2710

I don't think it will be easy to find another picture to this model. Thanks for pointing it but that's not embarrassing at all, I guess.
I can use that photo although they look the same to me. Laughing

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2023 12:40 am

Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:

I don't think it will be easy to find another picture to this model. Thanks for pointing it but that's not embarrassing at all, I guess.
I can use that photo although they look the same to me. Laughing

The version 2 has the white throat. The version 1 has the brownish orange
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyTue Nov 14, 2023 12:42 am

OK, I will use your photo then. :)

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2023 12:49 pm

Amazonian giant centipede:

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Amazonian_giant_centipede

Neither of the Safari figures were marketed as this species, and the large Smithsonian Insects model was most certainly modeled after S. heros.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 3:48 am

This is not a praying/European mantis: https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Kamakiri_Praying_mantis

It is the Japanese giant mantis (Tenodera aridifolia)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 11:10 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
This is not a praying/European mantis: https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Kamakiri_Praying_mantis

It is the Japanese giant mantis (Tenodera aridifolia)

Thanks, I fixed it. I'm still not sure what to do with the Safari centipedes.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 9:03 pm

Could be the Innovative Kids angelfish a blue faced angelfish?

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2023 1:23 am

I just had someone ask about Safari translucents, and noticed that there's an issue with the gecko

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Safari_100214_Giant_Day_Gecko

It's labeled as a day gecko, but with the foot and head shape it's more likely a typical gecko like a Tokay

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 Hyena-circle

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2023 11:06 pm

sbell wrote:
I just had someone ask about Safari translucents, and noticed that there's an issue with the gecko

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Safari_100214_Giant_Day_Gecko

It's labeled as a day gecko, but with the foot and head shape it's more likely a typical gecko like a Tokay

I have moved this model to the unidentified section of the Gecko page Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyMon Dec 18, 2023 12:11 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Amazonian giant centipede:

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Amazonian_giant_centipede

Neither of the Safari figures were marketed as this species, and the large Smithsonian Insects model was most certainly modeled after S. heros.

I will assume S. Heros since this official page suggests as it was marketed as that species.

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 Hidden22

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 9:40 am

If I had to choose a species for this goat I would go more for a bharal or a Caucasian tur than an ibex. maybe it would be safer to enter it as an undetermined Caprinae ?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 11:06 am

Kikimalou wrote:
If I had to choose a species for this goat I would go more for a bharal or a Caucasian tur than an ibex. maybe it would be safer to enter it as an undetermined Caprinae ?

The latter is an ibex too but I don't think it matches any species. I can't tell the horns shape and couldn't it be a female or sub-adult? Below the official picture.

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 Nayab-herbivores

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 11:58 am

Sincerely no ibex have such horns. It looks more like takin horns than anything else in the caprinae, even if the body doesn’t look like a Takin body
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 12:49 pm

It looks like a regular goat to me, I really can't tell what it is. Maybe we can move it to unidentified Caprinae as you suggested and rename the page to Nayab wild goat since it is also a generic name even if it is used for a particular species too. If you agree I can do it myself.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 3:39 pm

Great Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptySat Dec 23, 2023 3:46 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Great Very Happy

Done! Very Happy

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 8:09 pm

it perhaps looks like an American mouflon - with the tighter curlier horns, than the European mouflon - which has spread apart, gracefully curved horns.
There are quite a few differences between the 2 species.

I think for a normal goat, that it seems to have horns that would remind me more of a sheep ram instead.

I was talking about the one in the centre - am I looking at the same one as everyone else?? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 8:19 pm

sunny wrote:
it perhaps looks like an American mouflon - with the tighter curlier horns, than the European mouflon - which has spread apart, gracefully curved horns.

I think for a normal goat, that it seems to have horns that would remind me more of a sheep ram instead.

I was talking about the one in the centre - am I looking at the same one as everyone else?? Very Happy

There are no mouflon in North America. We have bighorn, stone and Dallas's sheep.

The latter two are thinhorn sheep, with thinner horns that spread out a bit. Bighorn sheep have heavier horns, the figure might represent one.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 11:03 pm

sunny wrote:

We were talking about the one on the upper left corner 😉😊
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 3:37 pm

Given that Papo focuses on local wildlife usually, what's the justification their beaver is North American and not Eurasian? Their website doesn't specify.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 3:50 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Given that Papo focuses on local wildlife usually, what's the justification their beaver is North American and not Eurasian? Their website doesn't specify.

Because the North American beaver has 40 chromosomes, while the Eurasian beaver has 48.  Laughing

More seriously I guess it is because the Papo beaver is standing rhight on his two feet. Eurasian beaver has shorter shin bones than the North American species and a narrower, less oval-shaped tail, making it less capable of bipedal locomotion.

Also, I don'tthink Päpo focuses so much on Eurasian fauna, it's not a French tradition, we prefer to play Indians and cowboys than Perigourdins and Bourguignons Laughing

Papo made a black bear, a White-tailed deer and not a Roedeer, a raccoon before a badger..
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 3:59 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

Because the North American beaver has 40 chromosomes, while the Eurasian beaver has 48.  Laughing

More seriously I guess it is because the Papo beaver is standing rhight on his two feet. Eurasian beaver has shorter shin bones than the North American species and a narrower, less oval-shaped tail, making it less capable of bipedal locomotion.

Also, I don'tthink Päpo focuses so much on Eurasian fauna, it's not a French tradition, we prefer to play Indians and cowboys than Perigourdins and Bourguignons Laughing

Papo made a black bear, a White-tailed deer and not a Roedeer, a raccoon before a badger..

Ha! Interesting! I didn't know that. I might have the Papo beaver replace the Safari one then.

EDIT: But on TAI there are multiple 'standing' beavers under the Eurasian beaver page...
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 4:15 pm

TAI is a mess Palmface This is why "Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki" exists Laughing

I agree some have even narrower, less oval-shaped tail. We need to discuss this.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 EmptyTue Dec 26, 2023 5:24 pm

I have to acknowledge my share of blame in identifying some figures at a very early stage of the Wiki. The "old" pages for "Incertae Sedis" went largely unnoticed, and figures of common animals such as beavers, hedgehogs, otters, were often identified in a generic manner, leaving species pages practically empty. I myself assumed that unidentified hedgehogs would be common hedgehogs, just as unidentified foxes were always assumed to be red foxes, even though these are easier to identify. The same happened with beavers; being European, I assumed that most unidentified ones would be European beavers, and in this case, not only is it very difficult to distinguish the species, but determining which one is the most common depends a lot on the geographical perspective.
The Wiki has evolved; now there are many figures listed and a more complete structure, and I believe it is now possible to relegate these undetermined models to a level that corresponds to a more generic identification. For example, AAA brand beavers are figures to be used as both European and American beavers and do not require a precise identification unless, through discussion, we can identify some subtle characteristic that distinguishes it as one of the species. Others, even if not identified as species, we can infer through the theme of the set or series. But even in the case of beavers, there are very difficult situations to determine. While it's true that Papo's forest animals range between the new and old worlds, it's also true that Bullyland, despite having some North American species, has always clearly favored species from European forests.
Interestingly, if I remember correctly, I was one of the people who argued that the Papo figure could be a North American beaver and may have used the posture as an argument. It's It's not true that European beavers never adopt this posture occasionally, but it is much more common and typical in American beavers. Perhaps we can even open discussion topics in this section about these common unidentified animals instead of discussing them in this topic, risking losing track of the main thread.

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki
Page 25 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next