Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki

Go down 
+30
bmathison1972
Joliezac
Spinosaurus
Stripedhyena
endogenylove
Koikinguu
Gecko08
Jill
Taos
George
Roy-Swetsie
Babdo
ikessauro
Birdsage
cmj3
Duck-Anch-Amun
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Dutch Bear
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
Advicot
spacelab
rogerpgvg
sbell
aschuck
pipsxlch
Wienerwald
jarda
Pardofelis
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 25, 26, 27
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyMon Jan 29, 2024 9:58 pm

Roger wrote:
Jill wrote:
It's very weird because the black and white cat which isn't pictured with the set anywhere was included in both my versions of this set (which came together) instead of the rex, which I had to seek out separately. So I included the black and white here, but maybe it shouldn't be since it's not listed on the Nayab site. I'm not sure what the answer to this little riddle is.

OK, so in my opinion they both should be listed there. Some different things could have happened. A wrong assortment was pictured. The picture is right but they updated the assortment with a different cat figure. One of the cats belong to another Nayab set and there are a good number of sets from other brands, which mix figures from different Nayab sets. Those assortments on Nayab webpage are just indicative, the customer company is the one who decides how to sort them. So, if we ever find that one of these cats belongs to another official Nayabe set, we move it to the right place.
Makes sense, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyMon Jan 29, 2024 10:07 pm

Roger wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
Rogério, Papo is a French brand. Here we don't know what this "obscure breed (for us) from Baden-Württemberg" known as Swabian-Hall Swine is.
Here, a white and black pig is either a "Pie noir du Pays basque" or a "Cul noir limousin". The Basque is a famous breed known for its Kintoa ham, and the Papo resembles this species.
It also resembles the Swabian-Hall Swine because the two species are so similar.
We don't know if Papo wanted to imitate Schleich, but we do know that Papo has produced quite a few French breeds and probably never heard about Swabian-Hall Swine.

I understand, it makes sense to me as I commented and maybe this time I'm being myself a little Schleichcentric. Though, the fact Papo extended the rear dark patch up to the middle of the body, with dark back legs with a relatively narrow white area on the front legs and adjacent body area, is very typical for the German breed while the French breed seems to have a shorter and more undefined rear patch often with all legs white. I see there are different color layouts among specimens but I was trying to find a sort of pattern.
Since these pigs are not identified and there's no consensus about the breed, maybe the best is to move them to the regular pig page.

I agree Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyTue Jan 30, 2024 12:34 am

Maybe we need a pig breed discussion topic. Contrarily to dogs, I think it is almost impossible to determine most of the pig breeds. For example, it is not so hard to identify a Landrace but how to tell different Landrace breeds? For example, the French and English? So, maybe some we can group by groups of breeds as we do with the pot-bellied pigs. They're not all the same breed but they're all grouped in a single page.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 10:56 am

The pic of the Ueno zoo red pandas is the one of the Australasian red pandas...
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 1:13 am

This is actually a loggerhead sea turtle: https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Koro_Koro_Green_Sea_Turtle

It was sold to be as a green sea turtle, but checking the paperwork for another figure in the set, it was marketed as a loggerhead!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptySat Feb 10, 2024 2:42 am

Indeed, it is even obvious on the pic ! The job is done Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 6:17 pm

Schleich specifically calls this a laced moray (Gymnothorax favagineus)

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Schleich_42326_Moray_eel_den
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 6:58 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Schleich specifically calls this a laced moray (Gymnothorax favagineus)

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Schleich_42326_Moray_eel_den

Done, thanks! :)

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 7:06 pm

https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Chap_Mei_Stingray

could it be a Atlantoraja castelnaui?

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 8:22 pm

widukind wrote:

Don't know if we can be specific to species, but it's definitely a skate (Rajidae) not a stingray (Dasyatidae & relatives) based on the paired dorsal fins on the end of the tail.

That's actually true for a lot of the unknowns in the batoids, they should be labeled as skates.
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 am

sbell wrote:
widukind wrote:

Don't know if we can be specific to species, but it's definitely a skate (Rajidae) not a stingray (Dasyatidae & relatives) based on the paired dorsal fins on the end of the tail.

That's actually true for a lot of the unknowns in the batoids, they should be labeled as skates.

I compare with my book of rays It is the only skate with this kind of spots

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:01 pm

sbell wrote:
widukind wrote:

I think it is the best match. I look page for page in this book.

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 Sam_1524
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 Sam_1525

the colour of the fish can be yellowish.
Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 Sam_1526

and together with this figure (maybe ChapMei too) the figures could be from the family Atlantoraja

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 Sam_0828

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 pm

I have that book too, but not the figures.
They probably are Atlantoraja, although again it's unlikely the toy makers were being specific. The one with eyespots is easier to pin down at least!

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 Hyena-circle

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:58 pm

sbell wrote:
They probably are Atlantoraja, although again it's unlikely the toy makers were being specific. The one with eyespots is easier to pin down at least!

Ok but if it is an Atlantoraja, it can only be A. castelnaui scratch
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 8:15 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
sbell wrote:

Ok but if it is an Atlantoraja, it can only be A. castelnaui scratch

The one with eyespots would more likely be the eyespot skate A. cyclophora

But skates are notoriously tricky to identify, and again, toy models like this are heavily stylized.

If you go here https://www.fishbase.se/identification/SpeciesList.php?class=&order=Rajiformes&areacode=&c_code=&depth=&spines=&fins=&TL=&BD=&resultPage=1&sortby=species there's several spotted and eyespotted rajiformes. And A. castelnaui doesn't stand out as the only option. Plus the wings morphology doesn't match Atlantoraja.

I just tend towards caution when trying to get down to species level id's with toy figures like this. To answer your original question, it could be. But it's hard to be certain
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 8:24 pm

I agree, Chap Mei toys are for me more fantasy figures than anything else most of the time.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 EmptyYesterday at 4:27 pm

This figure here: https://toyanimalwiki.mywikis.wiki/wiki/Little_Kern_golden_trout

was intended to be the Kern River golden trout, O. mykiss gilberti, not the Little Kern golden trout (O. m. whitei)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki   Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki - Page 27 Empty

Back to top Go down

Corrections for Toy Animal Wiki
Page 27 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 25, 26, 27