Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)

Go down 
+29
bmathison1972
Birdsage
rogerpgvg
Bloodrayne
Joliezac
pipsxlch
Stripedhyena
George
RtasVadumee
Jill
Burgerenby
sunny
Seeway
Markus
spacelab
Mitsukuni
costicuba
Ana
Kikimalou
Taos
SUSANNE
Bonnie
landrover
lucky luke
Saarlooswolfhound
Caracal
Roger
widukind
Loon
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 11, 2022 1:42 pm

Forest Rogers is surely one of the most emblematic names on this subject.
This is surely a very interesting figure, rarely featured and showing a very updated sculpt for a 2006 release. This branch of the dinosauria has been debated exaustively since then.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 11, 2022 6:49 pm

A lovely model! Look at those crazy hands!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 11, 2022 10:54 pm

.. When hens had teeth!.. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

Country/State : California, United States

PostSubject: Loon's Collection: Old Friends Return (1/13/22)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 4:55 am

Thanks everyone for the comments, as always, I love reading what everyone has to say.

This week's haul is another set of figures I have had in the past, but sold for one reason or another.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Safari's nesting "Oviraptor" is a type of figure I feel like we won't see again. It's so rare to get large dioramas like this, or really dioramas in general. Compared to the modern figure of the species this actually represents, Citipati, it definitely doesn't hold up in terms of accuracy, but as a figure I prefer it. The modern Citipati is good, but mine has never been able to stand long and really isn't my favorite sculpt/paint job. The older model just captures what I enjoy about collecting prehistoric animals more in the sense that it portrays what we have learned about these long extinct animals.

I think a lot of the people who read this thread will know I have a decent collection of Protoceratops figures and while I'm not always actively looking to add more, I could not pass up on the deal I found for this Safari Authentics one. I'm quite taken with the sculpt of this little guy, it's pretty accurate for the late 90s, and well detailed compared to some other Authentics. I believe this was Greg Wenzel's work? Not sure. But, nonetheless, it makes a nice little addition to the shelf.

The Battat Pachyrhinosaurus is figure that I fondly remember from my early days of collecting. The Terra by Battat line as a whole is pretty nostalgiac as it made up a decent portion of my early collection since I could easily get those figures in person and not for a lot of money. This also represents a trend in my collection, where  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] will talk up a figure and my weak willed self will be convinced I need it in my collection. In this case, I'm happy to have it back. I used to suffer from a very strict "one figure per species" policy, but I've started making exceptions for figures I'm fond of, even if there's a "better" version available. Of course, this creates a conflict of which figure to display. I bought the Battat Pachyrhinosaurus because of the more accurate, rounder body compared to Safari's figure which has thinner frame. Still, that figure has its advantages, such as the more detailed skin texture and far nicer colors. So, as of now, it's a toss up and a rare example of two figures of the same species occupying space on the same shelf. Both figures mean a lot to me and both have their pros and cons, so who knows...

Last edited by Loon on Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 5:03 am

I would like to add that nesting model someday too. The coloration is spectacular and it represents a iconic moment (as well as narrative) in paleontology. 

All 3 are lovely, congratulations. I quite like pachyrhinosaurs too.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 5:11 am

I have that nesting model and it's one of my favorites. You can just hear that mom 'oh gosh oh golly oh WOW!' like some animal new moms I've known seem to act.

One of my regrets is NOT getting more of the Terra by Battats when they were still available, but I do have and enjoy the pachyrhinosaur also. I don't have the Safari, could it pass as a yet-gangly juvenile? I can't see well in your photo, I have very bad eyes.

Really like the little protoceratops. That sitting one is charming too.
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 5:21 am

The oviraptor nest is one of my only Safari dinosaurs and I absolutely love it. I really enjoy how unique Safari's older figures are!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 9:18 am

Such diorama figures are always lovely, they simply are a joy to look at, though I have to admit it's a bit diccult for play but then again, companies like CollectA and Safari are making figures for all ages and I don't see ones who focus on children only like Schleich to do such things often so it's all balanced out.
You ending up getting a Battat Pachyrhinosaurus because of me makes me feel a bit funny since I still haven't had one in my own hands, as I can't find an opportunity to buy one in Germany, but I am glad you enjoy it and I hope to get hold of one myself soon, I think I already told you what I plan to do with that figure, hope that one of the UK stores restocks it soon at least.
The Safari Authentics Protoceratops is phenomenal to this day, makes one wish they would have reused the mold for the Toob version.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 9:42 am

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 16, 2022 3:11 pm

I second Paige's words and I find that oviraptor an iconic model.
That's one of the figures that caused a very positive impact on me when I was not even a collector and was just searching figures for my niece. I became a devoted collector but ironically I never got it despite the many chances.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 16, 2022 6:36 pm

Wonderful Oviraptors and Protoceratops! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptySun Jan 16, 2022 11:51 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thank you! There is one on eBay right now for not too crazy a price: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I can totally see that, she does look a little shocked. Though, I believe it was male Oviraptors who cared for the nest, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, as Burgerenby pointed out to me, both figures represent two different species. Battat being P. canadensis and Safari being P. lakustai, so they can go together. I still think the Safari one comes across as way too thin, regardless of species.

Here they are next to each other:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] yeah, they seemed so adventurous back in the early 2000s, even if some of those figures ha dmixed results.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] yeah, I can definitely see why they don't make them, but as an adult collector, I really appreciate them. CollectA did try recently with those families, but them being retired doesn't fill me with any hope.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thank you!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] hopefully you can get a hold of it someday, it really is something special, as you said.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thanks!
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Loon's Collection: Dino Hazard Irritator (1/17/2022)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2022 8:18 am

Ok, I wanted to sneak this guy in before I get consumed by the glut of stuff coming in this week. This is another one of my Christmas cash splurges, it's the Dino Hazard Irritator.
I'm so happy to have finally got one after following this lines development for a few years now. I love how the minimal base and fish make this resemble a museum display; it definitely has that life-like look. There are a few small problems, like my base coming warped, but that was minor and could be fixed with some heat, and the fish is a bit of a pain to get in the hands. But, really, without sounding TOO redundant, I'll just say that I'm really pleased with this thing.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2022 10:48 am

very realistic dino and fish and sandy beach base with tracks too! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2022 6:45 pm

They look a lot like the Baryonix and it is quite irritating. Laughing
I am kidding, that's a great model.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2022 7:13 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyTue Jan 18, 2022 7:14 pm

I like a lot this Irritator, the way it is moving looks so natural, I would be happy to catch such a beauty. drunken
How is it big please ?

I suppose it isn't cheap
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Loon's Collection: New Schleich and Some Randoms (1/20/22)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 4:49 am

Thanks everyone for leaving comments!  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it is definitely expensive, but I feel like it justifies its price a lot more than many similarly priced models.
Here's a size comparison with a Lego minifigure and the Safari Baryonyx; hopefully this helps:

Alright, the final remnants of the end of 2021 splurge have arrived!

Schleich 2022 Cougar
I've been on something of a quest to find the best mountain lion out there, and had settled on the recent Papo one for sometime. I find this figure, while not as nicely painted, nails the look more. That face especially really strikes me as more accurate.

Schleich 2022 Emperor Scorpion
This is something of a first, as this is my first arachnid, and one of the very few arthropods in my collection. I do like this figure a lot, and I'm not super into scorpions. I think Schleich did a good job, and I may want to start collecting more figures closer to 1:1 scale.

Schleich 2022 Parasaurolophus
This is kind of the unexpected hit from the new Schleich figures for me. Schleich's prehistoric figures are far from my favorite, but, I bought it for my brother, since this is his favorite dinosaur. Despite all that, I found myself quite impressed by it. I love the colors, even if they are ripped from the Jurassic World website, and find the details to be well done, if inaccurate. Still, for $20, this is a solid hunk of a toy; honestly, I find it about as nice as figures that cost twice as much.

Schleich Postosuchus
Again, like the parasaurolophus, I feel this figure is definitely a step above stereotypical Schleich prehistoric  figures. I find, overall, that this figure represents Postosuchus better than the Safari one, which is a great figure in its own right. Of course, modern reconstructions depict this animal as bipedal, but for now, this is a pretty good attempt.

PNSO Liaoceratops and Tianyulong
It's figures like these that make me realize how much I miss PNSO's mini figures. They offered such a diverse, and well made range of smaller animals that rarely get any love. Of the two, the Tianyulong is my favorite, since I do love fuzzy ornithischians.

CollectA Fukuiraptor and Fukuisaurus
These two make a great pair. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if they both had bases, so they could connect, as they are clearly posed as if in an altercation. Still, I'm just happy to have some Japanese species in my collection.

Southlands Replicas Lumholtz's Tree Kangaroo male
This is a bit of a bittersweet figure for me. I've wanted it for sometime, but never really felt the need to pull the trigger, then, with the news about Southlands, I decided to go for it. I'm happy I did, because the paint is very nice here, especially on the eyes; they look so alive, which is rare for a figure.

Eofauna Straight-tusked Elephant
Nothing much to say. This figure's gorgeous and I love how it handles the pigmentation; dare I say, it does it a little better than most modern elephant figures?

Papo Cryolophosaurus
This figure is definitely a bit controversial, but I like it a lot. While I don't think the pose is awful, I do think it adds some variety to my dinosaur shelves, and the sculpt on the head is just fantastic. I'm very happy to have it back in my collection, though, I am far less happy with how Amazon shipped it.

Adventure Force Spinosaurus
This is the epitome of an impulse purchase. I headed to Walmart to get some essentials and felt the need to stop by the toy section to see if they had any new Transformers. Not wanting to leave empty handed, I finally decided to grab one of these Adventure Force figures. For $10, this is a great toy. It's solid and has quite a bit of movement, even if the joints can be loose. It's definitely a goofy thing, but I find there are some really nice details here and there and the paint is actually not bad, provided you can find a copy that hasn't been beaten up.
Two very different spinosaurs.

EDIT: Oops, completely forgot to include the Schleich 2022 Slow Loris! Ironically, this is the second time this happened, as I almost left it in the shipping box to be thrown away. This is no indication of my feelings on the figure, as I think it's my favorite of the new modern animals they've released. I love the sculpt of the fur, especially along the back. It surprises me how much nicer this looks than the eikoh one, which is good in its own right, despite not being much larger.

Last edited by Loon on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 5:15 am

That's a lot of different flavours this time, I'm glad that the 2022 Schleich puma turned out to be the right one for now, since you have been looking for a good one for so long.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 5:26 am

Very nice newcomers. My favorites are the lori and the kangaroo

Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 6:39 am

Lots of super great additions!!

The Eofauna straight-tusked elephant is probably my favorite figure from that brand. I agree that it looks much better than the modern elephants we have Laughing

Maybe its just the photo but the Schleich cougar looks like it barely has any paint variation on it. I do like the pose though and the face looks a lot better than the Papo one. I've also had trouble picking the best cougar which is why I invested in a resin model from BeautyofBeasts. I ordered the cougar anyways though so I'm hopeful to see it in person!

I was worried about the slow loris when I saw the stock images. It just didn't look right. But now seeing photos of it on the forum twice I'm very excited for it! It seems to have more paint on it than some of their other models released and I love the size!

Congrats! cheers

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 8:19 am

Soooo many wonderful models there cheers

I was not fast enough to comment the first ones, but have to tell you how much I love "The good mother" : I have my ( own) mother's old vitrine, filled with composition models + the Mother !! That is how much I love that model Laughing

Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 10:22 am

So many wonderful choices and stunning models! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 1:13 pm

A really nice selection - so much variety but your good taste in style and quality shows all the way through. My favourites are the Irritator (and the fish prey, I love how heavy and dead it looks in the way it drapes and hangs through the hands), the Tree Kangaroo, and the Straight-Tusked Elephant with all that subtly done depigmentation, I'd never considered the fact that's a feature so lacking in other elephant models!

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 3:37 pm

Oh, there's a lot to comment here. Very Happy
I was waiting for that cougar comparison picture.
We don't have as good pumas as we have lionesses and tigers.
From your picture, I think I like the Schleich slightly better. Though, it is not obviously better.
For example, the back long legs and smaller head of the Papo model seem to have better proportions.
Though, Papo is kind of abrupt, the head body transition and the tail do not look as natural as on Schleich figure.
Could you provide, a similar picture but showing their sides in a straight way?
That scorpion gives a good impression but maybe you should feel how good are the Papo and Mojö Fun. I really love your picture.
Postosuchus looks very detailed and scary, almost like a Papo design. I don't know if you are aware how huge is your praise when you tell it is better than Safari's model. i am positively impressed but I am not sure I would dare to say something like that. Maybe If I ever see it in real....
Eofauna straight-tusked elephant is, undoubtfully, the best elephant figure, not even the new renditions of modern elephants are close to it. Let's wait for CollectA's African elephant but I doubt it will be as good as this Eofauna model.
That Cryolophosaurus is defintely not for my personal taste but I understand why you like it so much. There's a kind of action figure style on it.
Slow loris is a huge surprise and as I also got it, I will later share my opinions on my additions topic.
Congratulations for all your new models and thanks for sharing so many great pictures.

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)
Page 10 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next