Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)

Go down 
+29
bmathison1972
Birdsage
rogerpgvg
Bloodrayne
Joliezac
pipsxlch
Stripedhyena
George
RtasVadumee
Jill
Burgerenby
sunny
Seeway
Markus
spacelab
Mitsukuni
costicuba
Ana
Kikimalou
Taos
SUSANNE
Bonnie
landrover
lucky luke
Saarlooswolfhound
Caracal
Roger
widukind
Loon
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2021 1:24 am

Applause Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2021 7:40 am

Great additions!! And thank you for the link for the lights!

The acrocanthosaurus is very beautiful, I have the purple/orange one from the previous year and I like the pattern on this version much more!

Congrats!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyFri Dec 31, 2021 12:06 pm

I like this Olorotitan a lot too! cheers cheers

Last edited by Caracal on Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 01, 2022 4:06 am

That's surely a fantastic way to end the year and feel collecting strong to the new one.
I really like the PNSO Pinacosaurus and Olorotitan. both are interesting choices for their respective taxa. Very Happy

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 01, 2022 4:39 am

Your collection is really marvelous! The displays and lighting are great, and all the animals are beautifully organized and presented! Applause

I like the idea of having a special spot for the miniatures of your pets, that's really sweet! And I didn't know you can have a pet Bigfoot in America? Razz

Lovely newcomers too! Especially the Olorotitan and Pinacosaurus! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 01, 2022 7:00 am

What an amazing collection Applause
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 01, 2022 7:48 am

Incredible collection! sunny
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Loon

Loon

Country/State : California, United States

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 01, 2022 8:25 pm

widukind wrote:
Applause Applause Applause
Ha, thanks!

Joliezac wrote:
Great additions!! And thank you for the link for the lights!

The acrocanthosaurus is very beautiful, I have the purple/orange one from the previous year and I like the pattern on this version much more!

Congrats!
Thank you. I have to say, I really like the original colors, especially how the purple highlights the hump/sail. I think this repaint could use with highlighting it a bit more, but still, I like it a lot.

Caracal wrote:
I like this Olorotitan a lot too! cheers cheers
Thank you, yeah, it's pretty nice.

Roger wrote:
That's surely a fantastic way to end the year and feel collecting strong to the new one.
I really like the PNSO Pinacosaurus and Olorotitan. both are interesting choices for their respective taxa. Very Happy
Yeah, neither really had a worthwhile figure till now, which is a nice side effect of the recent PNSO glut. Even though a lot of them are species that have a good number of toys, they tend to deliver when it comes to these more obscure species.

Ana wrote:
Your collection is really marvelous! The displays and lighting are great, and all the animals are beautifully organized and presented! Applause

I like the idea of having a special spot for the miniatures of your pets, that's really sweet! And I didn't know you can have a pet Bigfoot in America? Razz

Lovely newcomers too! Especially the Olorotitan and Pinacosaurus! cheers
Thank you, Ana. You know, I don't know, but I'm sure somewhere in the Pacific Midwest, there is a law that allows for a pet sasquatch. I wouldn't put it past us.

Megaptera wrote:
What an amazing collection Applause
Thanks!

Bonnie wrote:
Incredible collection! sunny
Thank you Bonnie. Appreciate the kind words!

Happy New Year everyone! I thought the figures in the last post would be the last gets of the year, but I had a couple of deliveries yesterday that negated that.

First up, it's another returnee to the collection, Takara's Anchiornis. I had the PNSO version for a while. I like how fluffy the feathers are on that figure, but I felt it wasn't completely right. This one, while maybe a little conservative on the feathers, is still very well done for such a small figure. I think the pose is pretty awkward, but nothing awful. The only complaint I really have about the figure is how it stands on the base, as I kind of wish it was able to show the nameplate while giving a 3/4 view of the figure. Still, it's really such a pretty figure.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And, for the final figure of 2021, it's none other than Safari's TOOB Caudipteryx. I have a real soft spot for early Cretaceous China, especially the Yixian formation, so I found myself wanting one its most interesting occupants. Luckily, I was able to get a hold of an early paint variant, since the recent runs of this TOOB are pretty poor looking. This figure does suffer in some of the same ways a lot of older feathered dinosaur figures do, namely, the way the wings seem to cover the fingers instead of attaching to the second finger. But, I guess at this size, you'd really have to be looking closely to notice it, so I can forgive it somewhat.
Here it is with my ever growing Yixian display, I think it fits in pretty well. Even though, this display is a pain to organize since a lot of these figures are about the same height.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 01, 2022 11:28 pm

A lovely collection of prehistoric animals from the Yixian area Shocked

Great for me, as I already learned something new so early in the morning that it is stilæl dark outside cheers

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptySun Jan 02, 2022 2:16 am

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptySun Jan 02, 2022 2:43 pm

I hope you will present all these guys to us cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptySun Jan 02, 2022 6:11 pm

Great last year models! What is the fuzzy quadripedal guy in the front on the left?

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptySun Jan 02, 2022 10:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you, happy something from these posts proved educational.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thanks!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you, and I do plan to start posting more actively.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thanks. That figure is the Repenomamus from Jesus Toledo's Paleo-Creatures line. Unfortunately, Jesus has been on hiatus for a couple of years, so it's very hard to get a hold of any of his figures these days.
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2022 6:53 pm

Very cool new additions, congrats on these feathery friends!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2022 7:35 pm

Thanks! Its a nice figure and very unique. :)

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Loon's Collection: PNSO Triceratops (1/6/22)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 8:42 pm

I'm sick and my head feels a bit like it just went through a cement mixer, so forgive me if any of this comes off as the ramblings of a madman.

Anyway, I just got my first figure of the new year!!! PNSO's new Triceratops came in the mail today and I cannot wait to talk about it. I'll be honest, I wasn't really expecting to like this one much. The early photos made me wary of the articulated jaw (more on that later) and I was just getting a little sick of constantly "upgrading" perfectly good figures for figures that cost a lot more. But, there's something to this trike once you get it in hand.

It comes with a nice scale model of the skull. The skull of the massive Triceratops prorsus on display at my beloved Los Angeles NHM is the first thing you see in their grand dinosaur hall, so even though it's a different species, I enjoy it for that.

Another wonderful feature of this figure is the detailed skin. I believe I read somewhere that it's directly based on the skin impressions found at the Houston museum. I've included a picture from my 2018 trip of said impressions, and it does bear quite the resemblance.

Now, as I said, I wasn't eager to replace my Safari Triceratops with this one. So, I compared the two a bit and ultimately did decide that I find the PNSO favorable. Not to say that Safari's is bad, it's perfectly good, and for the price, definitely a better bang for your buck (it costs less than a third the price of PNSO's). But, there are certain features that are just so striking on the PNSO, as they should be for the price.

One of those cool little things is the inclusion of the uropatagium, which you can sorta see in this odd picture. It's the flap of skin that connects the legs to the tail. This is a first for any dinosaur toy, let alone a ceratopsian. Which, is odd as the basal psittacosaurus is known to have had one and even its toys lack it.

It's not all perfect of course. Aside from the high price, there are a few issues. Most notable is the jaw articulation. I don't usually have any issues with articulated jaws, but on herbivores it's always troublesome. Unfortunately the triceratops is no different. I feel it breaks up the sculpt in a very unpleasant way. In addition, it's relatively annoying to operate, as it's not that easy to get open without feeling like you're going to pull something wrongly. Also, the top beak has a habit of blocking the lower jaw from opening or closing. The below photo shows how much you can close it without bending it in to get past the beak.

Another issue is the sheer amount of paper included with this thing. You get, surprisingly, booklets, cards, paper to draw on your self, and both large and small prints. This is to do with the unique line this figure is part of. The feature here is that using these prints and cards and such, as well as the figure, you can create structured activities in the vain of a mini museum field trip for kids. There are also videos that they tell you to watch in addition. As someone who plans to go into teaching and has an interest in dinosaurs, I can appreciate the jesture, but practically it seems a bit strange. These activities range around 45 or so minutes, which seems like a real stretch for an elementary school age kid's attention span, probably my own too. If you're not going to use it for that purpose however, it's just a bunch of paper that'll sit in a drawer and probably drive the cost of the figure up a bit.

Still, none of these issues ruin this figure. This is such an exciting and beautiful model, I can't help but like it despite a few qualms. It's inspired me to take a few fun photos as well.

I felt the need to pull out every ceratopsian I own (I think) and take one big group shot with all of them. Easier said than done, as I forgot how many of these things I have.

Anyway, hopefully any of that made sense to you.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 8:58 pm

Congratulations! I think it looks best with its mouth closed (as for me the cheek muscling as well as gape aren't to my taste) but it is still a very nice model! Happy new year to you

Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 9:16 pm

I actually really like how this model looks! I love the simple brown colors, I like how you recreated the famous Jurassic park sick triceratops scene Laughing I wouldn't get it because of the price but it is a very nice model nonetheless. Congrats! A great way to start the new year Very Happy

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyThu Jan 06, 2022 11:22 pm

A beautiful figure

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2022 3:45 am

What a prodigious way to start the year.
I think all the controversy around this model is one of the points that turns it a key figure in our hobby. Instead of one more triceratops, we have a figure that represents a different paramount.
A newer interpretation and even the articulated jaw is quite unusual considering it is an herbivore. I believe it was decided like that to highlight the way they are interpreting the cheek area of the animal.
It is sure PNSO will study the reaction of their customers about the articulated jaw to decide to include it or not in future releases of the same kind.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2022 6:31 am

PNSO opened with this guy a new paradigm! wonderful model! cheers cheers drunken and about the cheeks, Starlux was right 1/2 century ago! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2022 10:06 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I have to agree. Now that it's on the shelf, I have it displayed with the beak ever so slightly opened. I'm still get used to the idea of cheekless orithiscians, if that is accurate, but I find this one has executed it well. I personally think EoFauna made them look a little more believable, bit that may come done to the lack of jaw movement.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you. Yeah, I'm sure I've said it enough, but that price is a pretty ludicrous. I said all that when I thought this cost $50, it was actually near $65... This year I have to be better with money, because I went nuts towards the end of 2021. Hopefully PNSO can rerelease it with out all the extras one day for a lower price, like they did with their older tyrannosaurus. It's a really nice model, but like so many PNSO figures that price severely limits the number of people who can enjoy it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thank you!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it definitely is quite an outstanding model. I do appreciate the cheekless ornithischian look getting a bit more attention, as I find it pretty interesting. Unfortunately, I think the jaw articulation just hinders it here. Though, I can't say it entirely messes it up, as it is very neat to look inside the mouth and see the teeth and such.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I think you like this model more than I do, I hope you're able to get one, since it is really something.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 2:41 am

I already said I have no problems with this Tric mouth since these animals weren't grazers and even not chewers and the video Kosta provided us was really interresting and instructive.
Your explanation bring even more interest to me, especially the uropatagium thing. It is the kind of detail I appreciate.
Too much papers indeed, if PNSO is inventing a new tradition, that's bad news. the models are already quite expensive like that.
tahnk you for showing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 3:03 pm

I love the freakiness of cheekless ornithischians.
Back to top Go down
Loon

Loon

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 EmptyMon Jan 10, 2022 10:03 pm

Here's a figure that has finally returned to my collection, the Carnegie Collection Beipiaosaurus.
I'll spare you all the novel length post this time and just tell you that I love this model. I wish the sculptor, Forest Rogers, was still making dinosaur toys, because some of those later wave Carnegie Collection figures are second to none. The Beipiaosaurus is, to me, her best feathered dinosaur. Rogers managed to capture such a natural look in this figure, especially with those shaggy feathers. Plus, it's a species from the Yixian formation, so, how can you beat that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)   Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16) - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan. 16)
Page 9 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next