Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.

Go down 
+19
Birdsage
Joliezac
spacelab
RtasVadumee
pipsxlch
rogerpgvg
bmathison1972
Megaptera
landrover
Taos
George
Kikimalou
Caracal
Jill
Bonnie
Roger
Pardofelis
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
AuthorMessage
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 12:57 am

Part 30: Porcupines and other Rodents

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PHOTO 1 L to R
Indian Crested Porcupine (Collecta 2019)
Himalayan Crestless Porcupine (AAA)
Cape Porcupine (Schleich 2011)

PHOTO 2 L to R
Capybara (Collecta 2012)
North American Beaver (Papo 2010)
Long-Tailed Chinchilla (Collecta 2015)
Eurasian Beaver (Schleich 2013)

PHOTO 3 L to R
White Mouse (Schleich 2002)
Red Squirrel (Schleich 2003)
Red Squirrel (Collecta 2011)
Marmot (Papo 2011)
Guinea Pig (Schleich 2006)

I love porcupines, they are cute and tough. A challenge for toy-makers and it's interesting to see the technique that is used the few times this mammal has been shaped into a toy. The 3 models I have clearly shows this diversity. I'll keep the AAA in my main collection, although much biigger than the rest, partly because of its unique features and partly because it's the only Crestless species I have.
I still consider of adding the latest Papo squirrel, because of its pose. Otherwise, CollectA's model looks wonderful. Papo marmot is already a classic I think.

----

Echo & the Bunnymen - Porcupine (1983)

It's the 2nd time the Bunnymen are appearing in my videos, I try to avoid repetition, but not many options for porcupine songs. Also the track is good, their 3rd album was named after this and Liverpool is doing great lately.

-----

For an album cover I chose the last Birthday Party album. It's the iconic early band of Nick Cave, disbanded in 1983. This album is very dark, raw and brutal, inspired by American Southern Gothic imagery. So, not the average music listener cup of tea... It was a shock when I bought it in a relatively tender age, but I loved it growing up. The artwork is inspired by comics, here is a mouse shooting a cat for a perfect birthday party...

The Birthday Party - Junkyard (1982)

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 1:42 am

Finally some snacks and toothpicks for the croc Laughing

No Chipmunk ? No American procupine ? And no Mole-rat ? affraid

Nevertheless it is a nice selection Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 1:48 am

Yes, inviting these for a bath could result hurtful! Laughing
I suspect [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] doesn't like thhe way Safari porcupine was conceived.
About the marmot, it is still my favorite, one of the things that changed during these last years was the poor assortment of European fauna figures, Alpine species were often quite representative in the past and brands like Bullyland or Schleich used to release them often. Marmot, chamois, ibex are not anymore common toys. I like that you use the Papo beaver as a North American one.
I listened to the first song of that album of the cover and it seems they used a porcupine to get those vocals. Laughing

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 2:36 am

Kikimalou wrote:

No Chipmunk ? No American procupine ? And no Mole-rat ?  

Yes, as Roger said, I don't like the Safari porcupine much and I'm a patient person. Unfortunately I couldn't find the schleich chipmunk locally or a cool mole-rat...

Roger wrote:
I listened to the first song of that album of the cover and it seems they used a porcupine to get those vocals.  

Haha, you are a brave man. Although I bet you didn't listen to the opening track of the album, but rather a bonus track on the youtube list that is not on the album, it's true that Nick Cave was having some porcupine days in The Birthday Party:
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 3:05 am

Great figures! My friend has the Schleich "Fizzio" porcupine and I really love that model, the best porcupine I think Laughing

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 4:28 am

spacelab wrote:

Roger wrote:
I listened to the first song of that album of the cover and it seems they used a porcupine to get those vocals.  

Haha, you are a brave man. Although I bet you didn't listen to the opening track of the album, but rather a bonus track on the youtube list that is not on the album, it's true that Nick Cave was having some porcupine days in The Birthday Party:

The song is this one it has an aflictive athmosphere like for example the (1985) Death Valley 69 by Sonic Youth and Lydia Lunch.
That's a perffect porcupine, recognizable to the species level. Laughing

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 4:48 am

OK, it's the closing track of the album. Lydia was a notorious girl and hung-out quite a lot with those Australian guys... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 5:59 am

Nice, but i miss the american porcupine by Safari :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 6:18 am

Wonderful, I am a big fan of squirrels! Very Happy I would definitely recommend the new Papo squirrel, even though I am a dog collector I had to get this beauty and it is even more stunning in real life! sunny I love the CollectA Chinchilla too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 11:48 am

Beautiful rodents collection! cheers cheers I have few and no porcupine! :/
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyTue Oct 26, 2021 1:41 pm

Superb models! I feel that AAA is underrated in many ways... perhaps not everyone's taste but a good several models are done really well! This porcupine is proof.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 5:43 am

thank you!

Part 31: Antelopes

PHOTO 1 L to R: Blue Wildebeest (Schleich 2009), Gnu calf (Schleich 2009), Black Wildebeest (Collecta 2012), Hirola (Collecta 2016)
PHOTO 2 L to R: Gemsbok (Schleich 2016), Scimitar Oryx (Collecta 2013), Giant Sable Antelope (Collecta 2012)
PHOTO 3 L to R: Mountain Nyala (Collecta 2014), Bongo (Collecta 2017), Giant Eland (Collecta 2012), Greater Kudu (Schleich 2011)
PHOTO 4 L to R: Springbok (Collecta 2014), Thomson's Gazelle (Schleich 2009), Defassa Waterbuck (Collecta 2012), Dama Gazelle (Collecta 2019)
PHOTO 5 L to R: Saola (Collecta 2013), Nilgai (Collecta 2016), Blackbuck (Collecta 2013), Saiga (Collecta 2017)

Thanks to CollectA we are blessed to have a good variety of Antelopes. I think my favorite is Saiga, such an unusual and interesting animal! There are plenty more species to be made if a brand shows the same bravery, but we can't complain for diversity and quality with these horned pals..  

---

I won't post a song, just this beautiful cover artwork from Interpol's third album. A Kudu attacked by Lions, it's taxidermy of course. There are more wild nature photos in the booklet, most of them came from the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles. A fantastic record anyway, one of the best of the 00's for alternative rock. Here it is:

Interpol - Our Love To Admire (2007)

silent
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 6:01 am

CollectA for me makes the best horned/hooved animals hands down. There is so much diversity! I keep purchasing a few at a time and I am still missing a lot... These look so gorgeous together great selection! I was recently blown away with the woodland caribou by them, the quality is top notch!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 8:30 am

I think our collections of antelopes follow a similar arrangement. We don't have many options for the most part of them but surely we also don't need when the single representatives are so good.
I remember when the collector of traditional figures were mostly focused in Schleich and other brands worked as a kind of complement. The sentence: - what's the size when compared with Schleich - is a classic already. Laughing
Ironically, you show loads of antelopes and it is basically a collection of CollectA models complemented with a few Schleich. No other brand is allowed. Laughing
I think one is mandatory, Safari lesser kudu, it is not just a subspecies of the greater kudu, it is a different species as your Niala is too. It is a very good model and it will work perfectly in your collection. The Arabian oryx is also a different species, Safari and Mojö have thicker legs than those antelopes from CollectA but it is an iconic species. CollectA will not make one since they have already the scimitar-horned.
The word bongo immediately brings to my memory this song of this Portuguese advertising. -

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 6:13 pm

I can see many masterpieces :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 7:44 pm

Roger wrote:
I think one is mandatory, Safari lesser kudu, it is not just a subspecies of the greater kudu, it is a different species as your Niala is too. It is a very good model and it will work perfectly in your collection. The Arabian oryx is also a different species, Safari and Mojö have thicker legs than those antelopes from CollectA but it is an iconic species. CollectA will not make one since they have already the scimitar-horned.
The word bongo immediately brings to my memory this song of this Portuguese advertising. -

O Bom Sabor da Selva? This a provocative advertise, probably made by some Kudus...

To me, Bongo immediately brings to my mind the percussions, BUT, if it is for songs there are two really huge European hits that came out in the wake of the new millennium.
The first one comes from Denmark and whenever it was played in dance clubs the chaos was similar to the Gnu migration... The Bongo Song by Safri Duo:

The 2nd came from France, it was Manu Chao's Bongo Bong. This guy is way too popular in Greece, selling out stadiums.

For the models you're suggesting, I'm just not especially attracted to them and I don't feel they'll be filling up some holes. Same for the Papo Impala. So, if a more appealing model of these species will ever be produced, I'll be happy to get it. If not, I'm happy I can spend in something else. Very Happy

Last edited by spacelab on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 7:50 pm

Phantastic antelopes Very Happy I´m surprised how good the older Schleich looks near to the CollectA figures cheers Maybe I should try to purchase the Gnu and Kudu rather then waiting for a company to release new models scratch
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 9:54 pm

I am glad you take my word mandatory as a suggestion. Obviously each collector makes his own choices. i think when you mention about not filling up some holes, it matches with what I think is the reason why you avoided the lesser kudu. Papo impala seems out of the collection when placed next to the CollectA models, I agree it is a large model. It is a pity, I know it is debatable but impala, is in my opinion, among the three most popular antelopes, together with the blue gnu and the unavoidable Thomson's gazelle. I believe you will see more impalas but I doubt you will find more lesser kudus. Maybe you will also never miss a common eland since you have a giant. It is like having all gazelle species, maybe we don't need them all. They are often very similar and even the springbok, that is not a true gazelle, looks a lot like a Thomson's.
These two songs you posted were also successful here, especially the first one.

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2021 11:27 pm

Beautiful collection of antelopes! cheers cheers 

I think you have the best ones and I suppose you have not the Papo Koudou, gnou and oryx because of their size..
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 5:15 am

Wonderful, this post was always going to be filled with beauties thanks to CollectA! cheers cheers sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 5:39 am

CollectA really has spoiled us. Splendid array of these gorgeous animals!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 5:43 am

It's really really hard nowadays to have a bad antelope collection Laughing

I agree with your philosophy, collecting is a love affair. I myself won't give a cent for the Papo impala or oryx because I don't like them. I must confess it is the same with the CollectA bongo, I can't say it is bad one but it isn't the one I am waiting for. I can't do nothing against this.

It is the same with the Manu Chao Bongo Bong, I prefer by far the 1991 Mano Negra version drunken  More Jungle, more Rockn'Roll monkey

Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 5:58 am

Hehe... it's hard to understand why you don't like the Bongo, but sure I agree about the Mano Negra bongo. Laughing
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 6:50 am

Mano Chao, i bought that single many years ago

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2021 7:18 am

spacelab wrote:
Hehe... it's hard to understand why you don't like the Bongo, but sure I agree about the Mano Negra bongo. Laughing  

You can find the explanation [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] study

PostSubject: Re: Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.   Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART. - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Spacelab's Collection FINAL PART.
Page 12 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next