Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses

Go down 
+17
rogerpgvg
Jill
jarda
Morek
Shanti
thebritfarmer
Kikimalou
landrover
bjarki12
Sassyscribbler
ros
Taos
sunny
Bonnie
SUSANNE
George
widukind
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2022 7:57 pm

Britains were always the best candidats to be repainted. They're often magnificently sculpted and porly painted. Their only problem is their sizes and Alain really made a few miracles here. Look how these figures are better than Japanese models now.

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 3:53 pm

Stunning repaints especially the Leopard. Applause Applause Applause Applause

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 4:52 pm

Yes, that leopard is just stunning, I admire paint control at such a small scale on all the models here, but his glowing golden colour just makes him stand out as the most beautiful of the whole batch.

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 10:24 pm

Alain is the master of the spots. Apart from lacking the artistic skills, it's physically impossible for me to control a brush with so much precision.

bjarki12

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 10:53 pm

These repaints are marvelous! They really help to show off just how good the original sculpts were. I'm also really impressed that they're somehow realistic at the same time as looking consistent with the 'character' of the old Britains paint jobs. Great additions - thanks for showing us!
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 7:41 pm

Let's see whether I can keep up with what I am collecting in this topic. I don't collect so many Britains these days, so it may be possible ...

A little while ago, I bought an early-version Indian elephant in a box. It was still in its original wrapping paper:
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Britai52

This elephant was made between 1961 and 1971, being replaced by a new Indian elephant in 1972. Initially, the elephant was made in polythene. Mine is PVC, so we can date it between 1968 and 1971.
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Britai53

The box is a bit mouldy, and the elephant was too, but it is in perfect condition after a bath. It's rare to see this elephant without any paint loss on the tusks. And it has well-painted nails too.
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Britai54

It's beautifully sculpted, especially if you compare it with other elephants from the same period.
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Britai55

Has a better Asian elephant ever been made in this size? I may be biased, but I say no.
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Britai56

It's the only Britains elephant that I didn't have as a child. When I started collecting as an adult, I was very pleased to discover that Britains made another elephant and even more pleased when I managed to get hold of one! (This one isn't my first, but it's the best.)
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 8:04 pm

Wow, It is really awesome, nice figure in a good condition.

Big congratulations. cheers cheers cheers

George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 8:26 pm

Lovely, a pristine treasure. The elephant itself is a really nice figure, then the added interest of seeing the original packaging is fascinating for anyone with an appreciation of vintage toys, and the fact you never got to own it as a child makes it even more satisfying to have now, I'm sure!

Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 8:48 pm

Roger, an extremely fine example of the Britains Indian Elephant.

Really like the first image where the elephant is emerging from its haven wrapped in a blanket of original tissue paper.

One of the best examples I have seen.

Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 8:56 pm

A truly wonderful Britains model.I have only a rather poor example of this model and have seen many copies of it.

Country/State : Bristol

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 9:48 pm

Roger, I'm intrigued how you tell the difference between PVC and polythene- how can one tell please?
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 10:01 pm

This is a great elephant and your models is really mint, thats' incredible.
I like it better than the second one. Unfortunately I stiupidely trade mine 10 years ago and now it costs one arm to get a complete one Sad
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 10:37 pm

ros wrote:
Roger, I'm intrigued how you tell the difference between PVC and polythene- how can one tell please?

Date, weight and feel.

Date model was produced: Britains started to replace polythene with PVC from around 1964 for some series and for Farm and Zoo around 1968.

Weight: PVC is heavier than polythene.

Feel: If you have the model in both polythene and PVC you will be able to feel the difference. Also the earlier PVC Britains used was shiny whereas the polythene was matt.

Hope this helps.

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 10:51 pm

Incredible treasure in perfect condition with the bonus of being a exceptionally good sculpt. I really love that model and Britains sculptor was really competent.

Chris Sweetman

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 10:56 pm

Roger wrote:
Incredible treasure in perfect condition with the bonus of being a exceptionally good sculpt. I really love that model and Britains sculptor was really competent.

Hi Rogério

Given the date this model was first issued the sculptor was likely to be George Ford. He also was the sculptor for the female and baby African elephants released in the 1960's.

ros

Country/State : Bristol

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 11:09 pm

Thank you Chris, really useful to know :)
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2022 5:54 pm

Thanks, everybody, glad you like this elephant too.

Christophe: I prefer this model to the later one too; it's more realistic.

Ros: Chris described the differences between the plastics well. One other difference is that the polythene often degrades over time, whereas the PVC doesn't (or at least not yet). As a result, the polythene can become fragile and the paint starts to flake off. The paint holds much better to PVC. The same is true for dirt: it doesn't stick as well to polythene as to PVC. When it starts degrading, the polythene gives off a kind of musty smell.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2022 9:03 pm

Chris Sweetman wrote:
Roger wrote:

Hi Rogério

Given the date this model was first issued the sculptor was likely to be George Ford. He also was the sculptor for the female and baby African elephants released in the 1960's.

Thanks, I remember reading on forum about the African elephants but it is great to know that George Ford may be the sculptor of this wonderful model.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 27, 2022 9:52 am

What a beautieful elephant figure

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2022 7:28 pm

Let’s show the Britains lead fox that I got a few weeks ago. I collect very few metal figures, mainly because they are difficult to find in a good condition and, well, I can’t collect everything. But when I saw this fox, I didn’t hesitate to buy it, because it is in a great condition and I love the running pose:
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Britai57

According to TAW, this fox was made from 1928 to 1941, and was then reissued after the war between 1946 and 1959. I guess this one is post-war, but the sculpt is very old. It has a hollow nose. Well, we all have.
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Britai58

Here he is with (as far as I am aware) the only other fox that Britains made:
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Britai59

It’s part of the Animal Tree that Britains made in 1972. It wasn’t sold well, so they stopped production after only one year.
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Britai60

Not the most detailed figures Britains ever made, but because it was produced for such a short time, it is a sought-after rarity. It also has the only Britains squirrel, owl and pigeons, as well as the only plastic swan (I believe Britains did make a lead swan).

A close-up of the fox in the tree:
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Britai62
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2022 8:43 pm

The tree is wonderful!!I have the swan and the Runner ducks and its great to see where they came from!Sadly I must have lost the other models!

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2022 8:50 pm

I know those models are not easy to find and you got all of them in such a fantastic condition. I love the Britains lead fox, I hope some day to have it in my collection even if it is a sample without painting.
It looks like the sister of the Blancherie Frères but I am sure Britains is smaller what is good for you. I love the picture where the lead fox is very interested about the other tree animals. Wink

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2022 9:04 pm

Nice additions, i especially like the owl

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2022 11:18 pm

Shocked never seen that tree before! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 03, 2022 4:01 am

rogerpgvg wrote:

It’s part of the Animal Tree that Britains made in 1972. It wasn’t sold well, so they stopped production after only one year.
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Britai60

ha ha look how interested the fox is Very Happy Very Happy what a funny photo Very Happy

that's a very good condition tree you have Roger, well done!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses
Page 2 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next