Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Leyster's Collection

Go down 
+11
Leyster
widukind
rogerpgvg
Joliezac
pipsxlch
Taos
Gecko08
SUSANNE
Saarlooswolfhound
Bonnie
landrover
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Leyster

Country/State : Italy

Leyster's Collection - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2022 4:46 pm

Binomial name: Tyrannosaurus rex Osborn 1905
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Tyrannosauroidea->Tyrannosauridae->Tyrannosaurinae
Time: Maastrichtian (late Cretaceous)
Formation: Hell Creek Formation, Lance Formation, Frenchman Formation (present day USA and Canada)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2020
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:32 for AMNH 5027
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yes, yes, I know, another model of that incredibly overrated Laramidian theropod nobody cares bout. But AMNH 5027 is one of my favorite specimens (along with the holotype and Tufts-Love). I also like its crouched pose and somewhat stupid expression, I don't like when Tyrannosaurus had to appear rearing and angry all the time... after all, a lot of dangerous animals we live with (bears, ie) have a totally not scary look (to the point that incredibly stupid accidents happen because people underestimate the danger they represent). I have a few issues with it, the exposed teeth (I'm not convinced at all by PNSO's arguments) and its oversized scales (I get the idea "let's show Tyrannosaurus' scales real size on a 1:32 model to show how they were shaped, but I would've preferred it to be smooth: Tyrannosaurus scales, if they're even scales to begin with, are incredibly small and basically invisible at that size...). Still, a very, very nice Tyrannosaurus.

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2022 11:59 pm

Those scales are nests of scales what is a stupid explanation but at least the idea could work at this scale. Laughing The figure seems relatively peaceful for a PNSO, I guess.

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2022 12:47 am

This prehistoric is very interesting cheers

Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2022 4:57 pm

Binomial name: unnamed acanthodian (cf. Climatius, fide [member=1403]Halichoeres[/member] )
Classification: Acanthodii->Climatiiformes->Climatiida->Climatiidae
Time: Devonian
Formation: /
Manifacturer and date of release: ?
Sculptor: ?
Scale: 1:1
Almost forgot I had this smol guy

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyWed Oct 05, 2022 6:16 pm

Thanks for the information

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2022 4:54 pm

Binomial name: Carnotaurus sastrei Bonaparte, 1985
Classification: Dinosauria>Theropoda>Neotheropoda>Averostra>Ceratosauria>Neoceratosauria>Abelisauroidea>Abelisauridae>Brachyrostra>Carnotaurini
Time: Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: La Colonia Formation (present day Argentina)
Manifacturer and date of release: Safari LTD, 2019
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Scale: surprisingly, a 1:20 for MACN-CH 894. I admit that maybe the head is a bit too big or that I may have made some mistake with calculations.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2022 9:56 pm

Probably the nicest one from the regular brands. Those we call major on forum.

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptySat Oct 15, 2022 1:38 pm

Roger wrote:
Probably the nicest one from the regular brands. Those we call major on forum.
Yes, it's nice there is finally a Carnotaurus restoration not based on the old Pinhead McLongLegs mount.

Binomial name: Opabinia regalis Walcott, 1912
Classification: Arthropoda->Dinocaridida?*
Time: Wuliuan (middle Cambian)
Formation: Burgess Shale (present-day Canada)
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2001
Sculptor: Katsuo Takuma
Scale: 1:1
*this group might be paraphiletic

Another very important to paleontology animal I'm very happy to have in my collection. I wanted an Opabinia since reading Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History by Gould.

Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 4:08 pm

Binomial name: Tianyulong confuciusi Zheng et al., 2009
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Heterodontosauridae*
Time: exact level unknown, so Bathonian-Oxfordian (Middle Jurassic) for all the formation
Formation: Tiaojishan Formation(present-day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2019
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier of Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:4,5 based on skull lenght
*some place Heterodontosaurids at the base of Marginocephalia

It probably should be a lot more fluffier than this (considering an unpubblished specimen of which beautiful photos exist), and palms should face inward... but who cares, it's the only good Heterodontosaurid I know of.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 9:01 pm

You're exploring very unusual taxa, that's really great! Very Happy

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2022 5:03 pm

Leyster wrote:
I have a few issues with it, the exposed teeth (I'm not convinced at all by PNSO's arguments) and its oversized scales (I get the idea "let's show Tyrannosaurus' scales real size on a 1:32 model to show how they were shaped, but I would've preferred it to be smooth: Tyrannosaurus scales, if they're even scales to begin with, are incredibly small and basically invisible at that size...). Still, a very, very nice Tyrannosaurus.

Very very interresting links, thank you cheers

About the Tianyulong I would also prefer a fluffier one like Gabriel N. U. drawing. I understand your 1:4,5 based on skull lenght but I put mine on my 1/6 shelf because of the body size, even if I know we don't know the real body size Laughing

When it is to determine precisely the scale of an extinct animal, I agree your way is the safest but when you have to choose with what kind of neighbours you want to show it, it is always a pain for me to choose. Will I show a Tianyulong with a right scale head and a probably underestimate size or a probably good size with a too big head... Dilemnas Rolling Eyes Wink
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptySat Oct 22, 2022 4:38 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

About the Tianyulong I would also prefer a fluffier one like Gabriel N. U. drawing. I understand your 1:4,5 based on skull lenght but I put mine on my 1/6 shelf because of the body size, even if I know we don't know the real body size  Laughing

When it is to determine precisely the scale of an extinct animal, I agree your way is the safest but when you have to choose with what kind of neighbours you want to show it, it is always a pain for me to choose. Will I show a Tianyulong with a right scale head and a probably underestimate size or a probably good size with a too big head... Dilemnas  Rolling Eyes   Wink
Full lenght is often questionable, because most of the sources do not give how it was calculated and thus how trusty their measurement is. Not to mention that they often forgot to mention what they meant by "lenght": along the centra? Along the curvature? With incomplete specimens (there is a complete Tianyulong, but it's currently undescribed), the difficulties only increase.
By the way, I don't think the head is that much oversized... if anything, the leg is way too short.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptySat Oct 22, 2022 5:03 pm

Leyster wrote:

Full lenght is often questionable, because most of the sources do not give how it was calculated and thus how trusty their measurement is. Not to mention that they often forgot to mention what they meant by "lenght": along the centra? Along the curvature? With incomplete specimens (there is a complete Tianyulong, but it's currently undescribed), the difficulties only increase.
By the way, I don't think the head is that much oversized... if anything, the leg is way too short.

I agree with what you say except for the head, if the scale based on the head is 1/4,5 and the scale with a lenght estimated 70cm is more 1/7, something is too big or too small.
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptySun Oct 23, 2022 11:12 am

Kikimalou wrote:

I agree with what you say except for the head, if the scale based on the head is 1/4,5 and the scale with a lenght estimated 70cm is more 1/7, something is too big or too small.
Yes, but full lenght was not known due to incompletness of the remains, so it's more or less a guess. Skull lenght is measurable.
Let's not forget there is a second, undescribed specimen with different proportion than the skeletal above (look at that tail!)

Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 4:35 pm

Binomial name: Palaeoloxodon antiquus (Falconer & Cautley, 1847)
Classification: Placentalia->Atlantogenata->Afrotheria->Paenungulata->Tethytheria->Proboscidea->Elephantiformes->Elephantimorpha->Elephantidae->Elephantinae
Time: Calabrian-Chibanian(Middle - Late Pleistocene)
Formation: Soleilhac, Abbeville, Grotte du Vallonnet (present-day France); Unterer Travertin of Taubach-Ehringsdorf and Weimar, Randersacker, Karlich 'See-Ufer', Mosbach 2, Mauer bei Heidelberg (present-day Germany); Kalymnos, Kaloneri, Sotiras, Xerias, Terpsithea, Nea Lefki, Kalamakia, unit UA3 of Marathousa 1, Kyparissia surface and 1, 3, 4, Kharoumes III, Koumpes Cave III, Cape Cheladi, Simonelli II Cave, Tyrokomeio, Tsakoni, Grana tou Skoufou, Ravin de l'elephant, Amyntaio lignite mine, Ptolemais, Canal of Corinth, Kostakis Quarry, Nisi, Roupaki, Ambelia, Trilophos, Epanomi, Perdikkas (present-day Greece); strato 4 della Sedia del Diavolo, Slivia, Quisisana-Certosa, Monte Tenda and Zoppega 1 of the Brecce di Soave, S. Giovanni di Duino, Malagrotta, settore 1 di Isernia la Pineta, San Romano, Casa Pontita (present-day Italy); Condeixa-a-Velha, Conimbriga, Foz do Enxarrique, Casal do Torquato, Santa Cruz (present-day Portugal); Huescar 1, terraces of Manzanares river, level AS1, AS1/2, AS3, AS4, AS5 of Ambrona (present-day Spain); Lakhuti 2 (present day Tajikistan); Pakefield/Kessingland gravel, Mundesley, Thorpe, Kirkdale Cave, Victoria Cave (present-day UK)
Manifacturer and date of release: Eofauna, 2018
Sculptor: Shu-yu Hsu?
Scale: 1:36 for 175-E23B

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 5:15 pm

A great one cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 10:05 pm

I can't calculate how much I like this model. Thanks also for the reference to Portugal. Laughing

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2022 1:40 am

I am planning on buying my elephant loving mother an Eofauna model for Christmas. Would this one be a good first choice?
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2022 10:48 am

All are a good choice and this one is a very good choice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptySun Nov 13, 2022 5:30 pm

pipsxlch wrote:
I am planning on buying my elephant loving mother an Eofauna model for Christmas. Would this one be a good first choice?
Sorry for the late answer, dunno why I stopped getting notifications on my mail. Anyway, all Eofauna proboscideans are great, my favorite is the Palaeoloxodon for how imposing and active its pose is.
Roger wrote:
I can't calculate how much I like this model. Thanks also for the reference to Portugal. Laughing
It's awesome, isn't it? Palaeoloxodon antiquus was quite common in Europe, some were found in Italy too.

Binomial name: Metriacanthosaurus parkeri (von Huene 1923)
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Allosauroidea->Metriacanthosauridae->Metriacanthosaurinae
Time: Oxfordian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Oxford Clay Formation (present day UK)
Manifacturer and date of release: Collecta, 2016
Sculptor: Matt Geiger
Scale: 1:40 for OUMJ 12144
One of the nicest Collecta theropods, marvellously detailed. A pity that they went for those undermuscled legs and clown feet in their latest works, a serious step back.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptySun Nov 13, 2022 6:52 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptySun Nov 13, 2022 8:03 pm

Big congrats for this Paleoloxodon! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2022 6:42 pm

Caracal wrote:
Big congrats for this Paleoloxodon! cheers cheers

Thank you!

Binomial name: Plateosaurus trossigensis Fraas, 1913
Classification: Dinosauria->Sauropodomorpha->Plateosauria->Plateosauridae
Time: Norian-Rhaetian (Late Triassic)
Formation: Plateosaurus type site of the Löwenstein Formation (present-day Germany)
Manifacturer and date of release: Kaiyodo, 2004
Sculptor: Seiji Yamamoto
Scale: 1:40 for the smallest specimen.
Plateosaurus is maybe the dinosaur with the craziest size variation. We have specimens more than 9 meters long and specimens less than 5 meters long, and they're both adults. After some eyeballing from the Eofauna book, I decided that the Kaiyodo model was the right size for the smallest specimen, and I was happy I was proved correct when I measured it after acquiring it. Such a striking colour scheme, too:

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2022 7:11 pm

Leyster wrote:

Plateosaurus is maybe the dinosaur with the craziest size variation. We have specimens more than 9 meters long and specimens less than 5 meters long, and they're both adults. After some eyeballing from the Eofauna book, I decided that the Kaiyodo model was the right size for the smallest specimen, and I was happy I was proved correct when I measured it after acquiring it. Such a striking colour scheme, too:

Really nice tiny guy, congratulation Very Happy

Mine is on my 1/87 shelf Laughing
Back to top Go down
Leyster

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 EmptySat Nov 19, 2022 10:18 am

[quote="Kikimalou"]
Leyster wrote:

Really nice tiny guy, congratulation Very Happy
Yes it has amazing details for its size

Binomial name: Deinocheirus mirificus Osmólska & Roniewicz, 1970
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Maniraptoromorpha->Neocoelurosauria->Maniraptoriformes->Ornithomimosauria->Deinocheiridae
Time: Campanian? Maastrichtian? (late Cretaceous)*
Formation: Nemegt Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: PNSO, 2022
Sculptor: somebody in the atelier od Zhao Chuang
Scale: 1:31 for IGM 100/127 (largest specimen if you do not count that ulna whose referral is dubious)
*There are some doubts about the exact age of the Nemegt Formation

What can be said about Deinocheirus? What can not? I remember reading about this animal whose forelimbs were the only known parts (well, almost), and then in 2014 not one, but two more specimens surfaced. This animal is now virtually completely known, and what a strange animal it is! It turned out that its arms are the less crazy part, after all.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leyster's Collection   Leyster's Collection - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Leyster's Collection
Page 11 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next