Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou

Go down 
+2
Bloodrayne
Kikimalou
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou Empty
PostSubject: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 10:38 pm

Therizinosaurus cheloniformis is a dinosaur that lived in Asia in the Nemegt Formation around 70 million years ago. The first remains of Therizinosaurus were discovered in 1948 in the Gobi Desert. It is known only from a few bones, gigantic claws and parts of the front and hind limbs discovered between the 1960s and 1980s.
In the absence of complete specimens, it was initially thought that Therizinosaurus was a large reptile resembling a tortoise. With the discovery of more complete relatives, it was then thought that Therizinosaurus and its relatives represented a kind of sauropodomorph or ornithischian. After years of debate, it was placed in the Theropod clade, more precisely as a Maniraptoriform, like Velociraptor or Great tit.

It was probably 9-10m long and 4-5m high, and may have weighed more than 5t. Along with the Deinocheirus, it was the largest maniraptoriform to have ever existed. It would have had a long neck and its relatively small head would have had a horned beak. Its forelimbs were particularly robust, with three fingers bearing the longest claws of any land animal, measuring over 50cm. The unusual anatomy of Therizinosaurus (extrapolated from relatives) is an example of convergent evolution with chalicotheres and other mainly herbivorous mammals, suggesting similar feeding habits. Its claws would have been more useful for catching vegetation than for attacking or defending itself, although they may have played an intimidating role.

Our friend lived in a landscape of large rivers with vast areas of Araucaria woodland and a relatively temperate climate.
Because of its height, Thérizinosaurus probably had no competition with other herbivores on the foliage apart from perhaps the titanosaurs. The only predator to rival it in size was Tarbosaurus.

Since 1995 and the Safari Ltd Dinosaurs of China, more than 40 toys representing this dinosaur have been proposed. The absence of a complete skeleton leaves more room for the imagination of sculptors than the Tyrannosaurus.
I have to admit that most of these interpretations didn't really excite me, whether the animal was feathered or not.
There are three that caught my eye, though, the first being the 2016 little black-feathered Kaiyodo, which I unfortunately didn't buy when it was available for a reasonable price. The second is the Papo of 2018 and finally the PNSO of 2022.

Tonight I invite you to a meeting between these two giants. Papo and PNSO don't have the same philosophy: the French brand produces spectacular, high-quality toys, while its Chinese counterpart takes a more scientific approach and tries to come up with plausible models.

PAPO
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PNSO

So? what sets these two citizens apart?

Let's start with the feet. They are quite stocky and tetradactyl (four toes) which rest on the ground, unlike most other theropods which have tridactyl (three toes) feet because the first toe is reduced to a dewclaw and held off the ground. This detail is respected by PNSO but completely missed by Papo's sculptor.

And the tail? Both are feathered, Papo in Capercaillie mode and PNSO in Ratite mode, to each his own.
The Papo's tail drags along the ground, giving it a tripod pose, whereas the PNSO's tail gives it a more realistic bipedal pose.

Chest and stomach? For Papo, the pose is demonstrative, with a bare, powerful chest and a rounded belly worthy of a large ruminant. In PNSO, the pose is calmer, the chest is less impressive, has feathers and the belly is less bloated.

And the head? No fossils have been found. The animal's head is deduced from that of its cousins Alxasaurus, Erlikoaurus and Neimongosaurus. It is therefore considered to be small in relation to the animal and to have a beak.

Both models have a lower jaw that opens and closes the mouth.
The Papo is very reptilian and shows off the details of the different scales that cover it.

The PNSO head features a lot of feathers and is more reminiscent of a bird.

Let's move on to the most representative part of the species, the forelimbs' claws! This is the Papo's biggest weakness: although larger than the PNSO, its claws are much smaller and don't live up to the animal's reputation.

The PNSO's claws are much more proportionate.

And now the size. Papo is larger and more imposing, with a scale of around 1/30, while the PNSO's scale is between 1/40 and 1/45.

And the price? Quite the opposite of the size, both items are the most expensive on the market, but the PNSO is almost twice as expensive as the Papo.
In conclusion, I'd say that both meet their objectives, although Papo could do a little more work on the claws and hind legs. We're clearly dealing with two brands that are targeting two different audiences.
Papo offers a high quality toy for children, the model is flamboyant and makes you want to invent lots of adventures.
PNSO, on the other hand, is aimed at collectors, young and old, who want to buy quality replicas without spending a fortune on a resin model.
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:21 pm

I wish we could "breed" figures from different companies.
That way, the newborn child from these parents would be the perfect figure for me.
The size and pose of Papo, but with the claws and fuzz of PNSO.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:25 pm

Excellent comparison! I actually like both but for different features. Thank you for this presentation Kiki!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:43 pm

This topic is a mix of both models, spectacular pictures and very accurate information. cheers
I find this PNSO figure very balanced and plausible, I really like it and I'm not referring to the fact it is scientifically superior, I love the pose, the way the claws are positioned but as it happens often with Papo, it has something special. I don't like the whole figure neither the pose but that head is fabulous, especially with open mouth, that neck and all the details around are completely crazy and put the PNSO head to a inexpressive simplicity. Papo's looks like a dragon or something else but it is full of character and doesn't look like any other figure I can remember.
However, if I had to choose one and despite the price, I would go for the PNSO, the simple head matches nicely with the balanced design of this figure and put the focus into these beautiful claws. I checked the Dinosaurs of China model, it is really so different but being the first, I'd say it is also quite cool.

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 4:17 am

Great comparison! I just have the Papo one. If the PNSO one had Papo's size and paintwork/details I think that would be the perfect mix!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 9:42 am

Bloodrayne wrote:
I wish we could "breed" figures from different companies.
That way, the newborn child from these parents would be the perfect figure for me.
The size and pose of Papo, but with the claws and fuzz of PNSO.

Alas Simone, they would have to give birth to multiple offspring to maximise their chances, because they could also give birth to a figure with the size and pose of PNSO, but with the claws and fuzz of PAPO What a Face Laughing

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Excellent comparison! I actually like both but for different features. Thank you for this presentation Kiki!

I like both too but if I need to find place in the future, I will keep the PNSO and bid a heart-rending farewell to the PAPO.

Roger wrote:
This topic is a mix of both models, spectacular pictures and very accurate information. cheers
I find this PNSO figure very balanced and plausible, I really like it and I'm not referring to the fact it is scientifically superior, I love the pose, the way the claws are positioned but as it happens often with Papo, it has something special. I don't like the whole figure neither the pose but that head is fabulous, especially with open mouth, that neck and all the details around are completely crazy and put the PNSO head to a inexpressive simplicity. Papo's looks like a dragon or something else but it is full of character and doesn't look like any other figure I can remember.
However, if I had to choose one and despite the price, I would go for the PNSO, the simple head matches nicely with the balanced design of this figure and put the focus into these beautiful claws. I checked the Dinosaurs of China model, it is really so different but being the first, I'd say it is also quite cool.

I suppose I'm not the only one, but Therizinosaurus always makes me think of Megatherium and other giant sloths. That's why I prefer the more placid-looking, follivorous PNSO. Of course, the PNSO's head is less expressive than the PAPO's but, as you say, the Frenchie has a dragon's head, he wouldn't look out of place in a shelf amongst the PAPO mutants. He's a character!
I prefer the PNSO's head because it's more animal-like.
The Dinosaurs of China model has a nice earthy plesiosaur look. Laughing With the trend to remove the fur from large mammals like the megatherium, I wouldn't be surprised if the 'naked' look made a comeback.

Joliezac wrote:
Great comparison! I just have the Papo one. If the PNSO one had Papo's size and paintwork/details I think that would be the perfect mix!

I may have failed in this area, but the PNSO is no less colourful or detailed than the PAPO, it's just less extravagant and therefore more subtle. I would have liked it to be at least 1/35 or 1/30 but my 1/40 floor still has about fifty inhabitants and at least 7 are Cretaceous, including a Tarbosaurus. cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 1:27 pm

I'm convinced that with the new production methods and the application of new technologies to figure design, it will become increasingly easier to obtain exactly what is desired, and figures will become more and more realistic. I love realistic figures, but this brings up the old problem that figures would lose their identity. After all, if all brands use the same perfect model, figures will become identical.
So, there should be room for both concepts, and this is particularly easy to implement in this universe of prehistoric figures because the true form of animals is not known. PNSO has recruited many collectors traditionally devoted to Papo, but I believe Papo's path will not be to compete scientifically with PNSO but rather to maintain this concept of detailed figures with a lot of identity. Naturally, in my opinion, Papo goes too far with certain figures as it is the Plesiosaurus, but others are truly captivating and memorable icons in this hobby.

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 6:20 pm

Beautiful pictures, flower flower I see that the Papo one is very big.

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 7:06 pm

Thank you Fernando, yes it is very big indeed but it represents a big and tall animal. Very Happy

I'm becoming increasingly interested in new productions designed using 3D tools and printers. For the moment, this remains a niche for collectors, but it's undoubtedly a new adventure that's just beginning.
I'm not worried about a standardisation of models. These new technologies doesn't make the designer's style disappear.
Models will always be interpretations, and subjectivity and talent will always be present. There is no perfect model.
Papo and PNSO are two different, almost antagonistic, producers. PNSO produces dinosaurs with a pronounced taste for realism, whereas its wild animals are rather average in this respect. It's the opposite with Papo.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 10:40 pm

True Christophe and very well observed about the wild animals. Papo lately is producing consistently very realistic wild animals while in the past the realism was quite variable from the excellent lioness to the weird first generations of zebras, hippo or crocodile, for example.
Interesting, I'm not sure but I think my only prehistoric Papo figure is the Megaloceros while my only PNSO is Miragaia.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou EmptySun Mar 24, 2024 9:10 am

PNSO Miragaia is a nice and obvious choice (am I using a lot "obvious" in our discussion ? Laughing ), I have decided to do without it, however, as I am still very much in love with the Safari Ltd. Something is happening to my prehistoric collecting goals. I really want to collect European fauna, which is often the underdog between American and Chinese fauna. I kind of want to do it justice. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 pm

Well, obvious is the right word for a Miragaia choice since I'm Portuguese. About the obvious choice among Miragaia figures I have no idea, I don't have a very scientific approach so te PNSO acted as the most appealing since it looks like the large fields of sunflower we can enjoy in my country. flower Laughing I find it very beautiful but I also like the different interpretation Safari proposed, very graceful with delicate long legs, light pose and different elements.

PostSubject: Re: PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou   PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou Empty

Back to top Go down

PAPO and PNSO Therizinosaurus: a comparison review by kikimalou
Page 1 of 1