Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!

Go down 
+20
Katy Leven
Toymany-kenc
Ana
MartinH
sunny
Tupolew Tu-154
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
lucky luke
Sergey
Nasreddin
Jill
Saien
landrover
Roger
Caracal
Kikimalou
rogerpgvg
Saarlooswolfhound
widukind
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23
AuthorMessage
MoeHe

MoeHe

Country/State : Austria

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2024 4:37 pm

Great "Dackel" collection Smile

If you ever visit Germany, I would recommend you have a visit in "Regensburg", there is a place called the "Dackelmuseum". It is Germanys and world wide the first and really only Dachshund museum.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

To keep up with my collection, I would recommend the following topics.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I regularly present my new releases and my opinion on them there.

Feel free to leave your comments. :)
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2024 5:27 pm

Great collection of dogs!!
You have a lot more Labs than I have! Smile Labs are very popular in the UK as well.The Chocolates are very popular and an old colour-fox red-has become popular again.
I had a Yorkie when I was younger and they make great little companion dogs and having just come back from Spain where they are the king of small dogs!
The history of Dalmatians is rather interesting.I have read an alternative version and it suggests that as there are no spotted dogs or history of spotted dogs in Croatia and that the body shape is hound like,the name is a corruption of Dama Chien-Dama being the old French for Fallow deer.Some of the older French hound breeds can have spotted coats.When hunting became less popular then the dogs became carriage dogs.
Dachshunds aren't hounds but earth dogs similar to terriers but when they were standardised for showing in the UK they got the name wrong and thought hund was hound and not dog so it wrongly became badger hound so they got put in the hound group!

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2024 7:15 pm

Today is the two-year anniversary for The Curious Compendium!!! I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone here who has encouraged me and supported this project. It has been a much bigger task than what I originally thought, and it has hit several bumps in the road but this is something I am really proud of achieving. I hope for many more years for the TCC and for longevity for its sister project as well, Zoonotic. Thank you STS villagers for being a part of it all!

Thank you Andreas, Moehe, and Taylor!

That musem sounds very interesting! I would love to visit someday.

@Taylor, I debated going over labrador colors for the breed but decided it was a little too lengthy for what I am trying to do here (just a brief overview of the breed for readers to learn/appreciate domestic animals a little better). But personally, I really like the red color for the breed, and chocolate of course as well!

The dalmatians thing is interesting, over the last decade I feel like there just isn't a consensus on the history, and I admit I probably should have practiced a little more suspicion when collecting the history of this breed for the post... I suppose it goes to show that we likely will never know for certain what they came from or where.

And yes, I only meant "houndlike" in that they get mistaken as such and share some behavioral traits to them. But I did not know that history of why they got placed in the "hound" group, thank you for sharing that!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 EmptyWed Sep 25, 2024 7:23 pm

Wow 2 years went by so quick! I love looking at photos of your collection. So much variety and wonderful models. Always looking forward to upcoming posts!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 am

Thank you Jolie!

Lop eared rabbits!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There are several breeds that have developed but I will share general lop-eared rabbit facts. For one, they are the most easily recognizable given their floppy ears and have become popular pets. They come in nearly any color and pattern, and several body sizes depending on the exact breed too (even the length of their ears varies!). Because of their large ears, its important to keep them warm in about 80° F since they have difficulty regulating their body temperature. They are often friendly, social, calm, and can even be readily litter trained.

Any of our rabbit enthusiasts, if I got something wrong or there is something you would like to add here- please do! I know a bit about rabbits but not nearly as much as you can share. I for one, would love to learn more!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2024 7:49 am

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 6:47 am

Thank you my friend. :)

Siberian huskies!
The breed originates with the Chukchi people of Siberia in eastern Asia- potentially as far back as 3,000 years. Here, they became hardy dogs that coukd withstand -100°F, intense blizzards, little food, and long daily work hours as sled dogs. The Chukchi people revered their dogs, believing that 2 huskies gaurd the gate to heaven and they judge a man by how he treated dogs in his life. The real breed spread in popularity and became a versatile animal of utility and later of strikingly wolfish good looks. The most famous instance in their history is of their involvement in the epidemic of diptheria in 1925 in Nome, Alaska. The closest reserve of medication was in Anchorage, over 600 miles away. 20 mushers and over 100 dogs formed a relay to move this precious cargo; Leonard Seppala and his lead dog Togo traversed the longest and the most dangerous portion of the relay- Togo led the team to safety during a dangerous blizzard in the Norton Sound, keeping the cargo safe as well. Gunnar Kaasen with his lead dog Balto was the team to make the final leg of the journey; and for years got most of the credit for this undertaking. Regardless, this is a breed that has energy to run and is known to be "escape artists" if not occupied mentally and excercised thoroughly. The breed is now a flashy pet for many, though they often end up being more than your average pet owner can handle. Intelligent, stubborn, full of energy, and ready to go on a moment's notice- this breed is now appreciated in many parts of the world.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 10:43 am

Impressive team Very Happy

It seems at least two are missing on TAW. Pics please bounce bounce sunny
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 1:35 pm

No problem with regards to the history of dog breeds.As you say there isn't always consensus and the Victorians with their obsession of pure breeding created many of the histories!!!
Great selection of Siberian Huskies cheers cheers They are popular in the UK and as you say they are not a first time dog to have.Their popularity is in part due to Game of Thrones.
Lovely selection lop rabbits as well.The English lop has the longest ears of the lop breed and they are more exhibition than pet rabbits.Lop rabbits make great pets but sadly due to their small rounder heads can suffer from maloclussion.

Katy Leven

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 1:40 pm

Happy two years anniversary to TCC cheers cheers cheers

I haven't been following this journey from the beginning but it brought me joy to read through every topic. I've learned many interesting things about so many animals and I hope to learn even more.

I really like Schleich's old Wirehaired Dachshund. He looks like that dog that would always bark at the postman Laughing
And it looks like the 2024 Dachshund has better proportions than the one from 2017(?). He has also a very neat coat colour.

So the Balto story is true. I've half missed it for some reason even though it was one of my favourite childhood movies. Huskies are probably my favourite dog breed. Your custom 2014 Schleich Husky looks really nice! And the Toymany puppies are very adorable but I also like the Papo and Safari model very much.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 4:30 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 EmptyYesterday at 7:36 pm

I'd love to Kiki, will try to do by the end of the weekend at the latest.

@Taylor, that's the tragedy of it for me- when the history of a breed is lost to the past. BUT at least this unique breed hasn't gone extinct- that makes me even sadder (molossus, english white terrier, Hawaiian poi dog, and si many more).

Thank you @Katy! Its been fun to interact with the community here about my factoids and I myself have learned so much more! I myself, love the wirehaired dachshund most. And Balto's story is true, albeit heavily altered for the movie. I would reccomend watching the recent live action if you have access to it of Togo's story. But reading up on both dogs (and the 98 others involved in the relay) is an exceptional storytime if you wish.

One more note on the huskies- as explained above they are not for first time owners and not for the faint of heart. Where I lived in southeastern Idaho a few years ago they were extremely popular but unfortunately the wrong kinds of people were getting them (just for a fad- their wolflike, because of media like Game of Thrones, etc.). SO many of these dogs get loose one way or another and being huskies, run until they can't anymore. I came across a half dozen of them in person but there's no way you can catch them to find their owner. And being in the area they were, if they strayed too far out of town they'd undoubtedly run into black bears and cougars. Huskies are fairly small dogs usually 40-60 lbs so they wouldn't stand a chance in most cases... Just a sad reminder to do your research and be realistic about yourself and your habits before getting a dog.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!   The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies! - Page 23 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Curious Compendium 2023 Tour Finale: Huskies!
Page 23 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23