Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Background question

Go down 
+12
dlfrogman
SUSANNE
HKHollinstone
Suebeedo
ken yeo
Silver Unicornis
Kikimalou
Sergey
Kiryuha
Mastiffcat
Ana
MartinH
16 posters
AuthorMessage
MartinH

MartinH

Country/State : Czech Republic

Background question Empty
PostSubject: Background question   Background question EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi my friends...
I´m preparing BIG photoshoot of all members of my collection for my personal catalogue... one by one and I need your advise... WHAT BACKGROUND COLOR IS THE BEST?? I saw red, yellow, blue... I have light green but i want to change it so... What is your opinion? scratch  study  question  question  question

https://www.martinhcollection.cz/
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi Martin,
I think it's just a matter of taste and idea Very Happy
Black for example looks very elegant and if You use very good lighting colors of each figure may look really impressive in contrast to pure black background (use black velvet for that).
Another idea may be brown because most animals are in warm "colors" nice brown may give You nice warm effect of whole photo, but again lighting will be important.
Also white is chosen by many collectors, probably because it is just most neutral color for background (Ken does very nice photos with white backgrounds Very Happy ). Grey is also very neutral but may be boring. scratch
You can also use kind of mini diorama for background and photo with landscape or something like that. Then You may use different for each continent and type of animal (You can have several categories for that).(Look at Kristie's beautiful photos)
Normal wooden table with white wall is also nice solution, very simple but really nice. Texture of the wood is very nice thing. And You can put special thing for scale next each item, just like our Christophe does :)
Red, green, blue are very "strong" colors for backgrounds and may "take" attention of viewer from the figure. study And figure should be more important than background in my opinion. But it may look really nice too. scratch

As You see there is so many possibilities, decision is Yours Very Happy Maybe You have own, completely different crazy idea? That would be nice to see Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 3:28 pm

wow Anna :) Thank you for your huge opinion :) It´s totally fantastic :) I was thinking about red but now... i don´t know. I saw collections with red and i like that... White is little bit steril for me pale Well i have to try more colours:) Ofcourse the main thing is the lightening... i made my little photo studio yesterday so... I can´t wait :)

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Yes You can try many variants before You decide Very Happy I can't wait to see effects bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Can't wait! bounce bounce
do you have to use the same color for all? i think i'd change color depending on what best suits each piece, but i understand using all one color for uniformity.

i use a light green because
- green is my fav color
- sheep look good against green
- most of my figures are white and many are reflective, and strong colored backgrounds can appear to affect their color
- white doesn't offer enough contrast
- black is too obvious. And it's dramatic - these are sheep after all. And some of their little black legs disappear into black.

i'm still being a chowderhead and haven't gotten off my duff to get a little mini studio. i need side lights.

Kiryuha

Country/State : Kyiv, Ukraine

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 8:57 pm

Most important - a background should be matt, not glossy, to eliminate glare.
I prefer light natural colors that could be seen in nature: beige, light yellow, light green....

http://community.livejournal.com/animal_figures/
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:12 pm

ana wrote:
Hi Martin,

Red, green, blue are very "strong" colors for backgrounds and may "take" attention of viewer from the figure. study And figure should be more important than background in my opinion. But it may look really nice too. scratch

...Yeah! Not red and blue bacause "they are very "strong" colors and may "take" attention of viewer from the figure"! Anna is right! Wink

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Think about your models and the colour of your models, backgrounds need to be good enough to be meaningless.

The dark grey background is very elegant too, like black indeed, and is also very useful to be sure of your colour t°. Wink

If you have to touch the pics after shooting them, then take a first pic with a white sheet to make the balance.
Back to top Go down
Silver Unicornis

Silver Unicornis

Country/State : Polish girl living in Scotland

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:48 pm

I need to but something less vibrant for background for my photos - now I'm using green shawl, it seems to be too bright, and affects colour balance too much.

I think I need to make some simple dioramas for default backgrounds. scratch

Blog | Facebook
Back to top Go down
MartinH

MartinH

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 8:01 am

thank you guys for your opinions :) :) I´m still searching for the right one color...

ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 9:46 am

If you prefer a fix colour white is easy to go with and you can etch up the image, do to whatever you like.

Suebeedo

Country/State : Spokane, Washington, USA

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 6:15 am

Hmmmmm. scratch Well I would suggest you stay away from...

green with purple polka dots.. No ...and blue with yellow diagonal stripes! affraid

geek

You'll just have to experiment with backgrounds. Show us some backgrounds you are thinking of using and we'll take a vote - if you want... Wink

How about a tan the color of a desert?

I thought that shade of red that Alejandro uses in his photos looks good with most of his animals/creatures? drunken

Whatever you chose I'm certain it will look excellent! cheers

flower ~ Sue

Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 9:41 am

I like using wood colour backgrounds recently, mostly a sandy brown.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 10:06 am

This is a very interesting subject Very Happy

White background doesn`t work for me, esp on white and very dark models the details don`t show. A sandy colour is better, but tends to come out a bit too yellow for me if the light is set too near scratch

Blue works well for white models. but not at all for yellowish models like tigers, lions etc...

For a long time I used green background, but with my new, so-called "daylight" bulp, which gives a blue ligh, green becomes horrible, almost fluroescent Suspect

But I am the absolute geek about photoes, so take my experience for what it is worth. Rolling Eyes geek

I am very interested to hear your findings if you make some tests bounce Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
dlfrogman

Country/State : Idaho USA

PostSubject: Advice on picture background :)    Background question EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 5:46 pm

I am going to take on the insane task of getting photos of all my figures affraid So I was wanting some advice on the best backdrop to use. The natural lighting in my room isn't the greatest and I really can't go outside anywhere too cold brrrrrrr, so Let me know which of these you like best or if there is another option that you would use instead I would love to hear it as I am NOT a good photographer. Thanks so much

Background question IMG_4855

Background question IMG_4860

Background question IMG_4861

Background question IMG_4862

Background question IMG_4864
Back to top Go down
Vivien

Vivien

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 5:55 pm

I like the totally light blue one best.The figure is the most important thing,so I think you should use this one. :)
Back to top Go down
Arnaud

Arnaud

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 7:49 pm

I prefer the 4th photo.
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 7:54 pm

For this animal I prefer the number 3, it gives a good contrast Wink

SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 8:03 pm

skysthelimit wrote:
For this animal I prefer the number 3, it gives a good contrast Wink

I agree with Robert Wink
For darker animals another background may be more suitable.

But if you want only one background, a unicolour background may be best. scratch

Good luck, it takes A LOT of time. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://dyr-og-dimser.dk
Mastiffcat

Mastiffcat

Country/State : California

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 8:52 pm

i vote for #4 all blue.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 11:47 pm

You are trying with one of the hardest figures, it is white and with a little shiny touch. Try different figures, for example also a darker one, one of a medium colour and other with a huge contrast like a panda, for example. :) You will se that figures work in different ways according with the background. So, if you only want to use a background you should choose something between a average green or blue.
I'm one of the worst photographers in the forum but I'm sure many members here will give you very nice suggestions! :)
There's a nice point of photographing our collection, when we are doing it we are not spending money with them and tasting any detail of any figure. I'm eager to see your complete collection! bounce
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 7:14 am

White animals need dark background to see the details.

Otherwise I like your style with the green "herbs and leaves" on foreground. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dlfrogman

Country/State : Idaho USA

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 7:20 am

Thanks for the feedback Very Happy I actually picked a white figure because they are the ones I have the hardest time with. Either the flash washes them out or its too dimmed. I think I might go to the fabric store and get a piece of light blue fabric and try for a "seamless" photo might get some black too for the white figures.
Back to top Go down
Suebeedo

Suebeedo

Country/State : Spokane, Washington, USA

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 5:32 am

Hi Rusty,

Alejandro - who on the forum is "atabini" is one of many of our excellent photographers and shared his set up for how he managed to get photos of his collection.
Here is the link. You may find it helpful.

https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t834p45-my-collection-from-peru

I still need to get something set up to take my photos. Wink

flower ~ Sue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Background question   Background question Empty

Back to top Go down

Background question
Page 1 of 1