Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?

Go down 
+20
baltimore zoo
ken yeo
scot(t)
LukaLeon085
Roger
HKHollinstone
Metallisuchus
SUSANNE
SeanieP
Gabe
PeGe
sphyrna18
Kikimalou
WILLYBACOMAN
ze_neto
Wildheart
Kristie
orcagirl26
smithyboy
ezhilan
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ezhilan

Country/State : india

papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? Empty
PostSubject: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 2:50 am

i think it is a caiman

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
smithyboy

smithyboy

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 2:53 am

Not sure what your talking about, I only know of a white croc, white croc baby and croc baby.

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 5:12 am

the croc baby looks like caiman.i thought it is a caiman species released
Back to top Go down
orcagirl26

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 2:19 pm

ezhilan wrote:
the croc baby looks like caiman.i thought it is a caiman species released

I'm pretty sure the two smaller crocodiles are caiman's. The one looks like a spectacled caiman to me.
Back to top Go down
ezhilan

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 7:49 am

yes orcagirl the animal is caiman.i had atleast one member to support.
Back to top Go down
Kristie

Kristie

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 8:13 am

That's what I thought when I first saw it.

We used to sell caimans at the petshop many years ago. Mean little things they are! Twisted Evil

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
ezhilan

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 8:43 am

wow u touched them.unbeliavable
Back to top Go down
Kristie

Kristie

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 8:46 am

ezhilan wrote:
wow u touched them.unbeliavable

Heck no I never touched them. If I remember correctly they were always handled carefully with very thick gloves. And by someone other than myself. Very Happy

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
Wildheart

Wildheart

Country/State : Bucharest,Romania

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 8:55 am

I am 100% sure they are intended to be croc babies. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.mihneanicolae.com
ze_neto

ze_neto

Country/State : Brasil

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 3:35 pm

I totally agree with you. It looks like the smaller cayman species.
ezhilan wrote:
i think it is a caiman

Even the saints have been known to employ comedy to ridicule the enemies of the faith. For example, when the pagans plunged Saint Maurus into the boiling water, he complained that his bath was cold. The Sultan put his hand in and scalded himself. William de Baskerville.
Back to top Go down
orcagirl26

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm 100% sure that it's a caiman.

Papo's 2012 caiman:

Spectacled caiman:

The snout on the Papo figure is too short to be a crocodile:

Back to top Go down
orcagirl26

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 4:28 pm

ezhilan wrote:
yes orcagirl the animal is caiman.i had atleast one member to support.

You're welcome, at least someone is paying attention Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ze_neto

ze_neto

Country/State : Brasil

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 4:58 pm

I totally agree with you. This particular specie is called by us, brazilians, yellow-gorged cayman.
[quote="orcagirl26"]I'm 100% sure that it's a caiman.

Even the saints have been known to employ comedy to ridicule the enemies of the faith. For example, when the pagans plunged Saint Maurus into the boiling water, he complained that his bath was cold. The Sultan put his hand in and scalded himself. William de Baskerville.
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 9:58 pm

I agree on the cayman to, it was my first thought to... Rolling Eyes

Wildheart

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 1:25 am

Problem is: caimans are never albino(as far as I know). question
Back to top Go down
Wildheart

Wildheart

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 1:29 am

I checked the spelling in the brochure once again, and the baby has the same name as the adult, meaning it is a Nile crocodile.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 4:45 am

confused scratch scratch scratch

Well, sunny Feel free to use the young croc as a caïman cheers drunken
Back to top Go down
ezhilan

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 8:35 am

although i dont know the language written there,it seems to be written as baby croc.but to naked eye it resembles caiman.this is not good if they market it as croc as the figurine looks good for a caiman but badly named.same case as the juvenile lioness with testicles.i dont know what they have named the zebroid.in my opinion it is pathetic idea do introduce come kind of crossbreed in wildlife in a time where many great species r available for selection.
Back to top Go down
sphyrna18

Country/State : Pennsylvania, USA

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 2:25 pm

ezhilan wrote:
although i dont know the language written there,it seems to be written as baby croc.but to naked eye it resembles caiman.this is not good if they market it as croc as the figurine looks good for a caiman but badly named.same case as the juvenile lioness with testicles.i dont know what they have named the zebroid.in my opinion it is pathetic idea do introduce come kind of crossbreed in wildlife in a time where many great species r available for selection.

I agree that the baby croc looks dead on for a caiman. It would be nice if Papo would rename it as such, but Papo doesn't seem to be as "educationally oriented' as many of the other companies are. I could be wrong, but at least with their dinosaurs, there seems to be little attention paid to accuracy or educational value - that's not to say they aren't totally awesome figures :) ! Just not very accurate. There are exceptions - like the Styracoscaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus - but overall, accuracy is lacking. In the wildlife, their figures are often strikingly beautiful, and in a lot of cases very realistic; however, I don't know if, as a company, they really care about whether or not they are representing the diversity of life accurately. If it means more sales to market a caiman as a baby crocodile, I think that's exactly what they will do. Those who know the difference will see the difference, and will respect the effort. Those that do not know the difference will be none the wiser. Perhaps there is a disconnect between the sculptors and the marketing execs at Papo?

As for the Quagga / Zebroid / whatever-it-is, it doesn't look like anything I'm familiar with. Not that I know every wild animal on earth, but that thing looks like they were trying for something and missed the mark. Guess we'll find out soon enough, but it looks hinkey to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sphyrnaenterprises.com
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 1:36 am

I wouldn't be to sure about that Mihnea, as every animal can have albino's... Rolling Eyes
Maybe they never appear, but possible is another story... Laughing
By the way, there is proove enough, follow these links:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 2:16 am

Are these in fact albinos? I can't see the eyes to tell if they are pink. To me, it looks like Papo is making leucistic crocodiles, which I can't say do or do not exist. White American alligators are known from the Mississippi River / Louisiana bayous, but they are not albinos - they are leucistic and have blue eyes. I've never heard of Nile Crocs exhibiting this coloration, & would imagine that any amount of leucisim or albinism would be detrimental since the animals are susceptible to sunburn. The only known White Alligators are from very deep swamps, with limited exposure to direct sun. Aren't there Nile Crocodiles in caves on Madagascar? Perhaps they are white/albino?

Can anyone see the eyes of the Papo figure well enough to tell if they are pink? If they are, then Papo's figure is an albino.
Back to top Go down
PeGe

PeGe

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 12:34 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I also don't believe it's a "baby nile croc"
Back to top Go down
sphyrna18

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 1:03 pm

sphyrna18 wrote:
Are these in fact albinos? I can't see the eyes to tell if they are pink. To me, it looks like Papo is making leucistic crocodiles, which I can't say do or do not exist. White American alligators are known from the Mississippi River / Louisiana bayous, but they are not albinos - they are leucistic and have blue eyes. I've never heard of Nile Crocs exhibiting this coloration, & would imagine that any amount of leucisim or albinism would be detrimental since the animals are susceptible to sunburn. The only known White Alligators are from very deep swamps, with limited exposure to direct sun. Aren't there Nile Crocodiles in caves on Madagascar? Perhaps they are white/albino?

Can anyone see the eyes of the Papo figure well enough to tell if they are pink? If they are, then Papo's figure is an albino.

Ok - to answer my own question, and for anyone else interested: White Nile Crocodiles do in fact exist. BUT - they are NOT albino. They generally have a yellowish/goldish cast to them and their eyes are either golden yellow, brown, or, like the White American Alligators, pale blue. So Papo's "new" croc likely has eyes that are one of these colors, not pink (as would be seen in an albino).
Back to top Go down
Gabe

Gabe

Country/State : NY

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 1:33 pm

It looks like a caiman to me too. I couldn't see anything "crocodile" in it when I first saw it.
By the way, the Papo cheetah also has testicles (small ones...) and they sell it along with the cub, as if it was its mother... (same with new Asian elephants).

WILLYBACOMAN

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 2:51 am

Well, that they are ment to be caymans is clear to me... Laughing
But i guess you guys are right, most of the white crocodile specimens are leucistic and not albino's... Wink

PostSubject: Re: papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?   papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ? Empty

Back to top Go down

papo 2012 caiman or baby Croc ?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next