Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lion figures questions

Go down 
+12
Kiryuha
ken yeo
Kikimalou
Suebeedo
baltimore zoo
Shardur
jarda
Lasersword1973
Sergey
Roger
Kristie
HKHollinstone
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gast

Lion figures questions Empty
PostSubject: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 11:29 am

I just brought the Schleich lion and was comparing it to the Papo lion, the Schleich guy really is quite a pretty boy and I was considering painting his mane darker to make him look more like a lion and less like a blonde bambi. But I noticed that the schleich guys face was in my view, a slightly more realistic sculpt, so I ask the question and I really wanna see everyones take on this, which male lion is better, papo or schleich??
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 12:38 pm

I like the Papo lion better myself Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Kristie

Kristie

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 12:56 pm

I've only seen the Schleich Lion in person and I must say that I was very impressed! He's LOVELY!

Can you post a picture of them side by side to compare?

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 1:34 pm

I have many lions from modern brands and in my oppinion the Papo, not perfect, is obviously the best!
Anyway legs are too strong with big paws and eyes are vibrant!
The Schleich lion is a typical Schleich figure, a small statue of a cute figure! But have some nice points!
Usually young lions have a lighter mane, unless they are from Angolan subspecies where the mane is always blond! Loved to see a repainting from your talented hands, anyway the original paintwork is beautiful but not realistic!
If you want a suggestion, repaint the body in the same color of Papo and the mane slightly lighter than the Papo, darker than the original! I think the face of Schleich is nice! But show a photo from your lions to see mainly the Papo that I think there are two color variations!cheers
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:45 pm

donwrath wrote:
I just brought the Schleich lion and was comparing it to the Papo lion, the Schleich guy really is quite a pretty boy and I was considering painting his mane darker to make him look more like a lion and less like a blonde bambi. But I noticed that the schleich guys face was in my view, a slightly more realistic sculpt, so I ask the question and I really wanna see everyones take on this, which male lion is better, papo or schleich??

...But there are two versions of Papo,s lions (in the centre and right on the hill)! and what you mind?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Lasersword1973

Lasersword1973

Country/State : Philippines

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 2:56 pm

These photos were taken about two years ago and it's from my files at the LG. Unfortunately, they are not with me now. So, I can't take a new photos and compare these two Lions' pictures side by side. But to answer the question which of the two lions is better looking, the Schleich's or the Papo's? I think when it comes to Lions or in big cats in particular, Papo is still having the advantage. Unfortunately, making the best looking lion models are not the Schleich's forte.

Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 3:02 pm

Lasersword1973 wrote:
... But to answer the question which of the two lions is better looking, the Schleich's or the Papo's? I think when it comes to Lions or in big cats in particular, Papo is still having the advantage. Unfortunately, making the best looking lion models are not the Schleich's forte.

...Yes, I,m agree absolutely! cheers
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks for all those pictures Ron, your male lion is so nicely painted, mine has a lighter mane and faded white beneath the eyes. Also the Lioness with Cub, again mine isn't as well painted as yours. No But I still love them Very Happy

Last edited by HKHollinstone on Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 3:12 pm

I think the Papo male lion is better than Schleich but CollectA lion 2010 is the best one...
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 3:13 pm

jarda wrote:
I think the Papo male lion is better than Schleich but CollectA lion 2010 is the best one...
Welcome to the forum jarda Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 3:25 pm

jarda wrote:

Welcome Jarda!cheers
I think the 2010 CollectA lion is very nice too, a real hunter, don't know if it is better than Papo but surely far better than Schleich! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lasersword1973

Lasersword1973

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 4:16 pm

Welcome Jarda

Thanks Harriet. Seriously, I already forgot how they are look like right now because the last time I saw my animals was two years ago already before I put them in the box.

Here's my CollectA Lions 2010's released:

[url[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I like the way CollectA made this Lioness' teeth looks very very natural dirty looks.

Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Lasersword1973 wrote:
Welcome Jarda

Thanks Harriet. Seriously, I already forgot how they are look like right now because the last time I saw my animals was two years ago already before I put them in the box.

Here's my CollectA Lions 2010's released:

... The angry wife and henpecked husband! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down
Lasersword1973

Lasersword1973

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 4:29 pm

... The angry wife and henpecked husband! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

[/quote]

lol!
Back to top Go down
Shardur

Shardur

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Yeah, great picture.

By the way, I have to get the whole family too (and the tigers and... so many other collecta-figures)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 6:50 pm

This CollectA lioness is not as accurate as the Papo, but much more dramatic, it looks really wild, really walking, see the muscles, in this picture you see clearly how anathomically well done, the way she is touching the floor, like a real cat, what a great and dramatic expression for a dynamic diorama!!!
And I'm always saying it, what is to many people bad paintwork, is to me a mark of realism, see the teeth!!!
Why teeth of wild animals have to be bright white like in humans???
Again congratulations CollectA, very new brand and already with fantastic figures!cheers
See the 3rd Schleich lion and compare with the 2nd CollectA lion!
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Keep working on it CollectA....
Because you have a long way to go...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 8:19 pm

baltimore zoo wrote:
Keep working on it CollectA....
Because you have a long way to go...

That's true, we see every year that quality is growing in CollectA range, so we expect a long way to go!
Other brands we see that they stopped at the starting and we are not expecting anything!
So see! CollectA as better zebras, giraffes, horses, birds, etc. than Papo! Of course it's a personal oppinion, subjective but not empty!!!cheers
Back to top Go down
jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks for all invitations :)

I personally really like the CollectA male lion. I got the rest of lions family as well, they are very good also. Cubs are comparable with Papo/Schleich (maybe better), the Papo lioness is probably better painted (more details), but I prefer dynamic figures over static ones, so CollectAs lions are still my favorites.

It seems that another big cats from CollectA are unfortunately not so good as lions (I saw tigers etc.). I agree at this time is Papo No1 big cats manufacturer - another very precious Papo cats are jaguar and tiger male.
Back to top Go down
Gast

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 3:25 pm

wow I really like Sergeys set up with the lion pride,

ts impressive I'm jealous,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Gast

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 3:34 pm

sweet that was a test heres two other pics, sorry for the quality
new to this

google lion profile and see, I think the Papo males nose is too long, I think the Schleich guy has the face right, wwhereas papos body is perfect, I think the schleich's paws are too small

Back to top Go down
Gast

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 3:44 pm

I really like collecta's lioness, it would look great in a pride!
I think Papo has made the perfect Lioness, the most realistic hands down
Same with the Papo Tiger, the perfect tiger, and Nile Crocodile
Really like their puma and jaguar too
I think they should change the face on the Male Lion and they can then add that to the perfection list, Their Lion man in the fantasy series has the perfect face, they should make that into a real lion!

In my opinion no brand has yet to have made the definitive perfect Male lion, like with the Tiger and Croc
I think Schleichs closer with the face, and Schleich's paintjobs are always much better, papo is getting sloppy with their paintjobs, the model pics always look super awesome, then in real life the paintjobs are a slight disappointment.
Back to top Go down
Suebeedo

Suebeedo

Country/State : Spokane, Washington, USA

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 1:56 am

Lasersword1973 wrote:

lol! [/quote]

My understanding of the Pride is the female does all the work anyways...no wonder she's angry! Mad

Laughing ~ Sue
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 9:22 am

I think Papo lion is not a perfect lion and there is still not a perfect one at that scale.
The only "perfect" lion I heard about is the Safari wildlife wonders but it is far too big to compete with the others.
The reason I choose the Papo lion is... The lionesses ! they are so fantastic and the Schleich lion is too small to live with her.
Again, about the painting of the Schleich, I don't like it, it is very well made, fine but it it looks like he is coming right from the hairdresser. This model is too sweet and too polite for me, as often with Schleich.
When I saw the first catalogue pic of the CollectA new lion, I was very interrested to buy one but the real life pics of our friend discourage me. This lion seems less masculine than the Papo and for me a lion is a very masculine animal. So I bought the Papo one...
Now I am waiting to see real life pics of the new Safari Ltd lion cyclops

donwrath wrote:

I think Schleichs closer with the face, and Schleich's paintjobs are always much better, papo is getting sloppy with their paintjobs, the model pics always look super awesome, then in real life the paintjobs are a slight disappointment.

Many commercial pics are indeed better than the real life models... But maybe Papo is the exception. A lot of models are better than the commercial pics and I still don't understand the choice of Papo confused
Back to top Go down
ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 9:51 am

Kikimalou wrote:
I think Papo lion is not a perfect lion and there is still not a perfect one at that scale.
The only "perfect" lion I heard about is the Safari wildlife wonders but it is far too big to compete with the others.
The reason I choose the Papo lion is... The lionesses ! they are so fantastic and the Schleich lion is too small to live with her.
Again, about the painting of the Schleich, I don't like it, it is very well made, fine but it it looks like he is coming right from the hairdresser. This model is too sweet and too polite for me, as often with Schleich.
When I saw the first catalogue pic of the CollectA new lion, I was very interrested to buy one but the real life pics of our friend discourage me. This lion seems less masculine than the Papo and for me a lion is a very masculine animal. So I bought the Papo one...
Now I am waiting to see real life pics of the new Safari Ltd lion cyclops

donwrath wrote:

Many commercial pics are indeed better than the real life models... But maybe Papo is the exception. A lot of models are better than the commercial pics and I still don't understand the choice of Papo confused

I still remember Safari did sent you an email : change the colour "Because of you". So I think you should buy the "Lion".

PostSubject: Re: Lion figures questions   Lion figures questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Lion figures questions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next