Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species identification topic

Go down 
+63
Cepaea
bmathison1972
rogerpgvg
Leoo Past
Hippocollector
Shanti
George
Joliezac
Jill
75senta75
Stripedhyena
Birdsage
pipsxlch
Mitsukuni
Pepi
Roy-Swetsie
WILLYBACOMAN
Bonnie
Duck-Anch-Amun
endogenylove
costicuba
RtasVadumee
Steve170
Giulia
Advicot
spacelab
landrover
Caracal
Megaptera
Dutch Bear
Pardofelis
halichoeres
barracudacat
Jolinem
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
Logan'sArk
NightLioness
Silver Unicornis
jarda
sbell
arafan
Tarunyada
QuollMate
EmperorDinobot
Bonobo
widukind
elephas_maximus
Kikimalou
DaveScriv
LeeAnn
NandO
Roger
Dorkan
stef1000
Taos
Dr.Narayanan
krista
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Katty
67 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Species identification topic - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2024 11:20 am

That picture is not good to sho the difference and a shorter horn is not a faithful feature because not all Southern white rhinos have long hors. I think the Wikipedia picture is relatively good, you can see the straight back and a modest hump. Those Northern white rhinos look somewhat like cows. Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Leoo Past

Country/State : México

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2024 5:59 pm

Roger wrote:
That picture is not good to sho the difference and a shorter horn is not a faithful feature because not all Southern white rhinos have long hors. I think the Wikipedia picture is relatively good, you can see the straight back and a modest hump. Those Northern white rhinos look somewhat like cows. Laughing

True, his back looks different, straighter, and his hump looks somewhat round, but not like a hump.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/leonardo.pastranamanzo?mibextid=ZbWKwL
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyMon Jul 01, 2024 5:48 pm

What do you think - a treeshrew?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2024 6:19 pm

widukind wrote:

I say that it is a shrew, but I would say that the common one
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2024 6:59 pm

Leoo Past wrote:
widukind wrote:

With that kind of tail i dont think so

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyTue Jul 02, 2024 7:16 pm

widukind wrote:
Leoo Past wrote:
widukind wrote:

With that kind of tail i dont think so
From its appearance it seems so, but the color is darker than the common one.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 6:08 pm

Is there a realistic chance of knowing what breed of donkey this might be from Safari: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I will be getting the brown version as a bycatch in an eBay lot and deciding whether or not to keep it.
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:58 pm

I am not sure it is a specific breed of donkey. The light bay color with the white legs is a bit unusual for a donkey. The Pyrenean Donkey often has a bay color but not with those white legs...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 12:55 am

Shanti wrote:
I am not sure it is a specific breed of donkey. The light bay color with the white legs is a bit unusual for a donkey. The Pyrenean Donkey often has a bay color but not with those white legs...

I don't think either but most of these classic representations of donkeys are based on the Andalusian donkey in pangaré color. For American donkeys, I think the Jackstock can show this color too. Nevertheless, I think we have better donkey figures than this one by Safari.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 8:11 am

Roger wrote:
Shanti wrote:

I don't think either but most of these classic representations of donkeys are based on the Andalusian donkey in pangaré color.

What makes you say that? You've piqued my curiosity scratch
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 1:15 pm

The Andalusian donkey, is an ancient breed native to the province of Córdoba in Andalusia, southern Spain. Descended from the domesticated donkeys of North Africa, these hardy animals were perfectly adapted to the rugged terrain, water scarcity, and hot climate of the region. In fact, donkeys were far more common than horses in Andalusia, and the Andalusian donkey was essentially the only donkey breed used throughout the area.
The ancestors of the Andalusian donkey were highly prized by the Roman Empire and were also the ideal companions for explorers on their long voyages. Just as the Andalusian horse gave rise to nearly all the horse breeds of the New World, the Andalusian donkey had a profound influence on the development of American donkey breeds.
Even in literature, although the breed of Sancho Panza's donkey is not specified, it is more than likely that it was an Andalusian donkey. There is hardly another donkey so well-known in literature.
In the 20th century, when various forms of tourist promotion began to be used, whether through postcards, tourist brochures, or other means, southern Spain's tourism industry extensively used the Andalusian donkey as the main symbol of the region. These donkeys were therefore a common presence in the popular imagination.
Just as the donkey of Provence is the epitome of the image of a traditional donkey for a Frenchman, the Andalusian donkey is the epitome of what a donkey looks like for much of the Western world, especially the Mediterranean region and the New World.

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 4:23 pm

Just to be clear, this donkey will be bycatch in a small eBay lot I bought specifically for the Safari IC sockeye salmon. I was deciding if it would be worth keeping. IF it can be reliably ascribed to a specific breed, I'll consider it. If not, I will give it to one of my co-workers for their kids.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 4:58 pm

Roger wrote:
The Andalusian donkey, is an ancient breed native to the province of Córdoba in Andalusia, southern Spain. Descended from the domesticated donkeys of North Africa, these hardy animals were perfectly adapted to the rugged terrain, water scarcity, and hot climate of the region. In fact, donkeys were far more common than horses in Andalusia, and the Andalusian donkey was essentially the only donkey breed used throughout the area.
The ancestors of the Andalusian donkey were highly prized by the Roman Empire and were also the ideal companions for explorers on their long voyages. Just as the Andalusian horse gave rise to nearly all the horse breeds of the New World, the Andalusian donkey had a profound influence on the development of American donkey breeds.
Even in literature, although the breed of Sancho Panza's donkey is not specified, it is more than likely that it was an Andalusian donkey. There is hardly another donkey so well-known in literature.
In the 20th century, when various forms of tourist promotion began to be used, whether through postcards, tourist brochures, or other means, southern Spain's tourism industry extensively used the Andalusian donkey as the main symbol of the region. These donkeys were therefore a common presence in the popular imagination.
Just as the donkey of Provence is the epitome of the image of a traditional donkey for a Frenchman, the Andalusian donkey is the epitome of what a donkey looks like for much of the Western world, especially the Mediterranean region and the New World.

scratch  As for me, the first donkeys to populate the Americas were the Catalans, as the Andalusians were banned from leaving the country until the 18th century.
The grey models with a black bar on the shoulder remind me more of Italian or French breeds.
I don't think there is an epitome for donkeys in France, many regions have a specific donkey and everyone is chauvinistic. Laughing

bmathison1972 wrote:
Just to be clear, this donkey will be bycatch in a small eBay lot I bought specifically for the Safari IC sockeye salmon. I was deciding if it would be worth keeping. IF it can be reliably ascribed to a specific breed, I'll consider it. If not, I will give it to one of my co-workers for their kids.

I don't think this donkey has a breed.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 10:54 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:

scratch  As for me, the first donkeys to populate the Americas were the Catalans, as the Andalusians were banned from leaving the country until the 18th century.
The grey models with a black bar on the shoulder remind me more of Italian or French breeds.
I don't think there is an epitome for donkeys in France, many regions have a specific donkey and everyone is chauvinistic. Laughing

bmathison1972 wrote:

I don't think this donkey has a breed.

The fact you mention Catalan donkeys were the first populating Americas is consistent with what I read. The typical donkey cross on Andalusian donkeys come in many colors and the dark cross is also common for the breed.
I confess the Provence donkey assumption was a personal one through the fact of Papo favoring the breed and the French chauvinism is very well known here. Laughing Funny it also works regionally.
About the fact the Safari model is not supposed to represent a breed is something I agree completely.

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyTue Jul 09, 2024 7:16 pm

Can anybody help please , Kaiyodo Animatales Choco serie 1

Many thanks

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyTue Jul 09, 2024 8:49 pm

widukind wrote:
Can anybody help please , Kaiyodo Animatales Choco serie 1

Many thanks

that is the Okinawa tree lizard, Diploderma polygonatum (formerly known as Japalura polygonata).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyWed Jul 10, 2024 6:49 am

Thank you

Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptySat Jul 13, 2024 10:02 pm

Any ideas ?[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 5:01 pm

I would agree that the Safari Ltd donkey is just that a donkey!This represents what most people would think is a donkey-usually a grey/brown animal with or without a shoulder cross.If we look at other makers like Britains,Marolin,AAA and even Schelich they all just made grey/brown donkeys.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 5:03 pm

Just looks like a red/white domestic cow to me.

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 5:15 pm

Taos wrote:
Just looks like a red/white domestic cow to me.
So there is nothing about banteng or another species like that?
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2024 9:29 pm

Certainly hasn't the colouration for a Banteng or even a Bali cow and the body shape is incorrect.Not heavy enough,correct colour or horn shape for a Gayal/Mithun.

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2024 9:47 pm

Taos wrote:
Certainly hasn't the colouration for a Banteng or even a Bali cow and the body shape is incorrect.Not heavy enough,correct colour or horn shape for a Gayal/Mithun.
Haber si se puede saber el fabricante o marca y en qué set venía
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2024 11:59 pm

Leoo Past wrote:
Taos wrote:
Haber si se puede saber el fabricante o marca y en qué set venía

To ask the brand, better to use [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - about the cow identification I agree with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and I usually trust his identifications.

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 EmptySun Jul 21, 2024 8:28 am

Elk or red deer ? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 38 Empty

Back to top Go down

Species identification topic
Page 38 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next