Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting

Go down 
+7
Elros Alvar
scot(t)
Roger
Ana
SUSANNE
widukind
Kikimalou
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting Empty
PostSubject: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 3:04 pm

The SAFARI Ltd. rockhopper penguin finally reached my home and met his COLORATA and COLLECTA kins. I guess time is come to make a few pic of this family reunion  Laughing

Rockhopper penguins are distinguished by the irreverent crest of spiky yellow and black feathers that adorns their head.
Biologists left little ambiguity about this species’ preferred habitat when assigning its name. Rockhoppers are found bounding—rather than waddling, as most other penguins do—among the craggy, windswept shorelines of the islands north of Antarctica, from Chile to New Zealand.
These gregarious marine birds are among the world's smallest penguins, standing about 20 inches (50 centimeters) tall. They have blood-red eyes, a red-orange beak, and pink webbed feet.
The rockhopper penguins  have been traditionally treated as a single species and are sometimes split into two or three species. Not all experts agree on the classification of these penguins. Some consider all three as distinct species, some split the Western and Eastern forms into the Southern Rockhopper Penguin and keeping the Northern Rockhopper as distinct, while other experts lump all 3 calling it simply Rockhopper Penguin.
So let me introduce the three heroes of the day.

First the oldest 1998 SAFARI Ltd
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Then the 2003 COLORATA

At last the newbie 2012 COLLECTA

Last edited by Kikimalou on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Wonderful " Happy feets"" - thank you Kiki   Applause  Applause  Applause  Applause 

Should i add the CollectA penguin in my zoo scratch  scratch  scratch

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 3:17 pm

widukind wrote:
Wonderful " Happy feets"" - thank you Kiki  Applause  Applause  Applause  Applause 

Thank you Andreas  Very Happy  Some scientist think there is three Rockhopper species  Wink  A great chance for a specie collector  Laughing

Last edited by Kikimalou on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
widukind wrote:
Wonderful " Happy feets"" - thank you Kiki  Applause  Applause  Applause  Applause 

Thank you Andreas  Very Happy  Some scientist think there is three Rockhopper species  Wink  A great chance for a specie collector  Laughing

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 4:00 pm

They are SO lovely, each one has his own personality, !!! Very Happy

Thankyou very much for these great pictures of the fantasttic little flock cheers

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Wonderful penguin dance Kiki!!! cheers Laughing So funny and nice dancing trio Cool

Great photos too Cool

If I chose one, it would be Colorata Very Happy But penguins like bigger groups and I think they are more happy when they are together. Safari one has very intensive colors and collectA has funniest hair style afro

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Thank you Susanne and Anna Very Happy

ana wrote:

If I chose one, it would be Colorata Very Happy But penguins like bigger groups and I think they are more happy when they are together. Safari one has very intensive colors and collectA has funniest hair style afro

My favorite is the COLORATA too but I'm very happy to have them all, I like crowded penguin shelves Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 6:54 pm

I share with my niece a huge love for penguins world. It is nice to see these 3 completely different interpretations of rockhopper penguins! I only have the oldest one and I'm a huge fan of Colorata penguins even I don't have a single one. Laughing
Sometime ago I tried to check to what which species or subspecies according with some authors as you described and I noticed that they are probably representative of the 3 taxons. I'll check it again and I really believe there is a big chance that Andreas need them all. Me too! Very Happy

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:37 am

Great post Christophe!

I too am particularly fond of the Colorata. I like both the others too though. But I haven't purchased the CollectA (yet). I confess, the writing printed into the plastic in conspicuous places put me off slightly. It's too bad and I don't know why CollectA did this. They are an amazing company, but this was an odd choice.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:50 am

Sincerely Roger, it would be interesting to know your point because I can't find what are the diferences between the three species except genetic, which can't be seen on models.
I would love to increase the number of species in my collection. Very Happy

Scott, I agree with you COLLECTA made a strange choice. the model is fun, different from the others but the letters on back What a Face ... Nevertheless, it can't be seen on my shelf Wink
Back to top Go down
Elros Alvar

Elros Alvar

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 4:45 am

TThat pic is so funny, I like all of the three models but I like more the safari one cheers cheers

Look my Photo-Gallery On Flickr: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
*Álvaro*
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 7:30 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Sincerely Roger, it would be interesting to know your point because I can't find what are the diferences between the three species except genetic, which can't be seen on models.
I would love to increase the number of species in my collection. Very Happy

Scott, I agree with you COLLECTA made a strange choice. the model is fun, different from the others but the letters on back What a Face ... Nevertheless, it can't be seen on my shelf Wink

Christophe, here is a blog that explains the differences between Northern, Southern/Eastern rockhopper penguins.
Please take a look and tell us in which species/subspecies any of the figures fit better.
See here!

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 3:32 am

Roger wrote:
Christophe, here is a blog that explains the differences between Northern, Southern/Eastern rockhopper penguins.
Please take a look and tell us in which species/subspecies any of the figures fit better.
See here!

Thank you for the link Rogério.

so, here are my scientoyfic speculations Laughing

Wings : COLLECTA and SAFARI Ltd can't be Northern rockhoppers but not sure they are Southern... Maybe SAFARI ltd is a new specie : The Miami rockhopper penguin Wink
COLORATA could be a Southern rockhopper.

Crest and head: COLORATA and SAFARI Ltd are more like Northern Rockhoppers and COLLECTA more like a Southern Rockhopper.

So, I could say at least that COLLECTA is a Southern rockhopper.

If we don't mind the wings, COLORATA and SAFARI Ltd are Northern Rockhoppers. Look at this small Northern Rockhopper gang.

Is anyone here who have better ideas ?
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:16 am

Álvaro/schleich wrote:

I search and search but i dont find the microphone  afro  lol!  Suspect

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:33 am

widukind wrote:
I search and search but i dont find the microphone afro lol! Suspect

Shocked Microphone ???? affraid Don't you recognize Domingo, Carreras and Pavarotti Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 4:48 am

Kikimalou wrote:
widukind wrote:
I search and search but i dont find the microphone afro lol! Suspect

Shocked Microphone ???? affraid Don't you recognize Domingo, Carreras and Pavarotti Laughing Laughing

Oh sorry, i think that are Bad Boys Blue Embarassed Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 5:05 am

widukind wrote:

Bad Boys Blue... confused ... scratch ... Wikipedia cheers
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 5:12 am

Kikimalou wrote:
widukind wrote:

Bad Boys Blue... confused ... scratch ... Wikipedia cheers

cheers lol! cheers

Back to top Go down
Elros Alvar

Elros Alvar

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing lol! lol!

Look my Photo-Gallery On Flickr: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
*Álvaro*
Back to top Go down
tqcenter2002

tqcenter2002

Country/State : Israel

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Great walk around and Comparison!!!!
Could not resist doing this.... I just love these cute little happy feet!!!!
Thank You!!!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 5:36 am

tqcenter2002 wrote:

Could not resist doing this.... I just love these cute little happy feet!!!!

cheers cheers Applause Applause Laughing 

orcagirl26

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 4:05 pm

I dislike Safari Ltd.'s rockhopper penguin. In my opinion (not trying to sound degrading), the color of the feet, beak and head feathers shouldn't be that bright and I feel his overall body color is wrong. Also, the feathers on the head shouldn't be that wide. It looks like he has gel in his hair or something Suspect scratch 

He actually looks like a combination between a little blue penguin and a rockhopper.

Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 4:50 am

Kikimalou wrote:
I would love to increase the number of species in my collection.  Very Happy

Scott, I agree with you COLLECTA made a strange choice. the model is fun, different from the others but the letters on back  What a Face ... Nevertheless, it can't be seen on my shelf  Wink

I found this information on the Rockhopper species and sub-species. Looks like there are visual differences so one can have fun figuring out the three that Christophe has providing this wonderful comparison on.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here are a couple of extracts from the article:

"Southern Rockhopper Penguins differ from their Northern counterparts in having a narrower supercilium and shorter plumes, which reach just over the black throat.”

"The Southern Rockhopper actually comprises two subspecies that have been described and can be identified in the field: the nominate form from South America and the Falkland Islands and the eastern subspecies filholi from the New Zealand sub-Antarctic islands. The eastern form mainly differs from the nominate subspecies in having a pink line of fleshy skin along the lower mandible which is black in the nominate subspecies. Immature birds have only a narrow supercilium and a pale mottled grey chin. Identification of juveniles is difficult. Shape of the supercilium, bill shape, body size and underwing pattern can aid identification. Separation of juvenile Southern and Northern Rockhopper Penguins in the field is probably impossible."

LukaLeon085

LukaLeon085

Country/State : ITALY

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting EmptySat Aug 09, 2014 5:25 am

Collecta is more realistic
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting   Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting Empty

Back to top Go down

Let there be rock...hoppers : The Safari Ltd, Colorata and CollectA penguin meeting
Page 1 of 1