Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround

Go down 
+6
SUSANNE
Roger
widukind
SeanieP
stef1000
Kikimalou
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround Empty
PostSubject: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 5:37 pm

Unlike most other crocodilians, female Nile crocodiles bury their eggs in sand rather than incubate them in rotting vegetation. After burying the eggs, the female then guards them for the three-month incubation period. The sire will often stay nearby, and both parents will fiercely attack anything approaching their eggs. The female will only leave the nest if she needs to cool off by taking a quick dip or seeking out a patch of shade. Despite the attentive care of both parents, the nests are often raided by humans and monitor lizards or other animals while she is temporarily absent.

The hatchlings start to make a high-pitched chirping noise before hatching, which is the signal for the mother to rip open the nest. The parents may pick up the eggs in their mouths, and roll them between their tongue and the upper palate to help crack the shell and release their offspring. Once the eggs hatch, the female may lead the hatchlings to water, or even carry them there in her mouth.

The sex of Nile crocodiles hatchlings is determined not by genetics, but by the average temperature during the middle third of their incubation period. If the temperature inside the nest is below 31.7°C (89.1°F), or above 34.5°C (94.1°F), the offspring will be female. Males can only be born if the temperature is within that narrow range.

Hatchlings are about 300 mm (12 in) long at birth, and grow that much each year. The new mother will protect her offspring for up to two years, and if there are multiple nests in the same area, the mothers may form a crèche. During this time, the mothers may pick up their offspring either in their mouths or gular fold (throat pouch), to keep the babies safe. The mother will sometimes carry her young on her back to avoid their being eaten by turtles or water snakes. At the end of the two years, the hatchlings will be about 1.2 m (4 ft) long, and will naturally depart the nest area, avoiding the territories of older and larger crocodiles.

And now a few pics of the Crocodylus niloticus schleichii  Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

With the PAPO BABY croc   affraid   Laughing
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Kikimalou on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
stef1000

stef1000

Country/State : Haaksbergen, Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Very nice pictures Sad(o)): I like him Very Happy

Stef cyclops
Back to top Go down
SeanieP

SeanieP

Country/State : Woburn (Boston), MA US

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 6:21 pm

how old do you think this baby croc is suppose to be? Not newborn I imagine.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 6:35 pm

A very cute crocodile Kiki cheers cheers cheers Thanks for the pics sunny sunny sunny

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:19 pm

I love your pictures and introduction describing the parental care of crocodiles. cheers
Now I'm thinking in having a croc baby but first I need to talk seriously with my wife. Laughing Wink

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Roger wrote:
I love your pictures and introduction describing the parental care of crocodiles. cheers
Now I'm thinking in having a croc baby but first I need to talk seriously with my wife. Laughing Wink

Yes, the big problem is: Where will you bury the egg Laughing It is Easter soon Laughing
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:

Yes, the big problem is: Where will you bury the egg Laughing It is Easter soon Laughing

cheers lol! lol! lol! lol!

Thankyou for the great walkaround and for all the information flower

I didn`t know that the mom would help crack the egg, or that the dad will gard the nest, too study

I love that first picture Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Thank you everbody Very Happy

SeanieP wrote:

As a newborn, it would be 1:4 scale Laughing As 1:20 scale it would be a 1m50 sub-adult cheers
Back to top Go down
Carola

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:54 pm

What a lovely little fellow Very Happy Thanks for the information about mother and father croc. They're just fantastic and how beautiful nature can be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.carolafunder.dk
SeanieP

SeanieP

Country/State : Woburn (Boston), MA US

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Thank you everbody Very Happy

SeanieP wrote:

As a newborn, it would be 1:4 scale Laughing As 1:20 scale it would be a 1m50 sub-adult cheers

Thanks Christophe
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Great little croc baby! I saw a bunch of the new figures at a store the other day, sadly I had to resist them, but I think I want like three of these little guys. Other than size, which do you like better? The Papo baby or the Schleich baby?
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 12:53 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:

Hahah! Laughing Laughing Embarassed albino
silent monkey Christophe.... Suspect ... do these famous storks from France really exist? Idea scratch Wink

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:00 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Great little croc baby! I saw a bunch of the new figures at a store the other day, sadly I had to resist them, but I think I want like three of these little guys. Other than size, which do you like better? The Papo baby or the Schleich baby?

I prefer PAPO, colors, details and pose are more interesting. Paige, go for it if great scale models are not a problem for you Very Happy

Roger wrote:
Hahah! Laughing Laughing Embarassed albino
silent monkey Christophe.... Suspect ... do these famous storks from France really exist? Idea scratch Wink

Yes there is even some specialized in Chocoeggs drunken

Back to top Go down
orcagirl26

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks for the walkaround! It doesn't look any bigger than Schleich's pogona lizard Neutral
Back to top Go down
Elros Alvar

Elros Alvar

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Great baby crocodrile, Is so real cheers cheers sunny

Look my Photo-Gallery On Flickr: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
*Álvaro*
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 12:30 am

Thanks Kiki, scale is no problem. I like them both though. drunken Your pics make them look their greatest. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 9:10 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Thanks Kiki, scale is no problem. I like them both though. drunken Your pics make them look their greatest. Very Happy

About the PAPO baby croc, I've made a walkaround [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Very Happy if it could help...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround   The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround Empty

Back to top Go down

The 2013 SCHLEICH baby crocodile walkaround
Page 1 of 1