Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BINBAK vintage UK made buildings

Go down 
+8
anthonys_collections
smallscaleworld
Taos
Roger
SUSANNE
Chris Sweetman
widukind
DaveScriv
12 posters
AuthorMessage
DaveScriv

Country/State : England

BINBAK vintage UK made buildings Empty
PostSubject: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Jack Binns and Bill Baker first met when apprentices in the 1930s, but WW2 disrupted their lives (they served in the Black Watch Highlanders and Yorkshire Light Infantry respectively), until they met again in 1946, and agreed to set up a wooden toy company, Binns, Baker & Co in Bradford, using the brand name 'Binbak'. Jack supervised the basic construction, Bill supervised the finishing, painting and packing, and they shared design and business management. Their main product ranges were dolls houses, garages (for Dinky/Corgi cars), castles, western forts, and farmyards, with quite a lot different models of each being made over the years, plus a few large luxury special items for the Royal family and other VIP clients. Minor lines included at least two each of riding schools and zoos.  
In 1972 Bill decided to leave the business, so Jack and his wife continued to run it on a smaller scale from a barn near their home in Batley. Sadly, Jack died suddenly in 1987, but his wife Norrie continued for a few years, until 1991, with her loyal staff, when other family matters forced her to finally close it down.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

(Last 2 photos repeated from zoo & wild west threads, but here as well because they're Binbak.)
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Interesting again  sunny sunny sunny 

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman

Country/State : Nottinghamshire England

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 9:55 pm

DaveScriv wrote:
Jack Binns and Bill Baker first met when apprentices in the 1930s, but WW2 disrupted their lives (they served in the Black Watch Highlanders and Yorkshire Light Infantry respectively), until they met again in 1946, and agreed to set up a wooden toy company, Binns, Baker & Co in Bradford, using the brand name 'Binbak'. Jack supervised the basic construction, Bill supervised the finishing, painting and packing, and they shared design and business management. Their main product ranges were dolls houses, garages (for Dinky/Corgi cars), castles, western forts, and farmyards, with quite a lot different models of each being made over the years, plus a few large luxury special items for the Royal family and other VIP clients. Minor lines included at least two each of riding schools and zoos.  
In 1972 Bill decided to leave the business, so Jack and his wife continued to run it on a smaller scale from a barn near their home in Batley. Sadly, Jack died suddenly in 1987, but his wife Norrie continued for a few years, until 1991, with her loyal staff, when other family matters forced her to finally close it down.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />

(Last 2 photos repeated from zoo & wild west threads, but here as well because they're Binbak.)

Dave - the fort I remember well. It was one of my Christmas presents in the late 1960’s. It went very well with my Timpo 7th Cavalry and Herald Indians.

Thanks for bringing back happy memories. I never knew anything about the manufacturer.

DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 10:01 pm

Happy to revive memories of  santa santa santa past.

In case you hadn't guessed already, the fir trees were bought in by Binbak from a Christmas cake decorations company.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 11:38 pm

Thay are absolutely wonderful cheers 

Imagine being a child getting one of those farms for christmas, ohhh, heaven !!!!  Very Happy 

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 12:18 am

Again a very interesting and well described history. I enjoy a lot reading them and they won't not only serve for those who are visiting the forum these days as it will keep and surely be interesting to future collectors. Very Happy

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Some great and wonderful old models there!I used to dream of getting a farm or zoo like one of these as a child! Smile 
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 4:25 pm

New addition to my Binbak collection, another, smaller, riding school

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 6:04 pm

Nice stuff again!!

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
smallscaleworld

smallscaleworld

Country/State : Hampshire, UK

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 10:19 pm

Nice trip down memory lane! Definately recognise the Zoo front with cages and the new riding school addition. Better finished than some of the contemporary companies, and better materials, the forts are plank no? I have some stuff of the lesser companies making things out of flat/block painted hardboard...when I get it out of storage ( Rolling Eyes ) I'll get copies to you.

eBay - smallscaleworld
Back to top Go down
DaveScriv

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyFri Mar 21, 2014 10:41 pm

smallscaleworld wrote:
Nice trip down memory lane! Definately recognise the Zoo front with cages and the new riding school addition. Better finished than some of the contemporary companies, and better materials, the forts are plank no? I have some stuff of the lesser companies making things out of flat/block painted hardboard...when I get it out of storage ( Rolling Eyes ) I'll get copies to you.

Mostly plywood, and yes, very strong construction.
I hope you soon manage to get your collection out of storage.
Remember, I still have that rare Lone Star D-Day set if you have good buildings and/or other stuff for a swap.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 11:37 pm

Wonderful riding school, a very harmonic set! Congratulations Dave and thnaks for showing! Very Happy

Country/State : UK Dorset

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyMon Jan 01, 2024 9:29 am

Hoping that I’m not infringing any policies on this site, just to say thanks for this article and that I currently have a Binbak castle on sale on eBay UK and am getting around to listing a Binbak Riding School in the near future. I think I have some farm buildings somewhere too 🙏.
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyTue Jan 02, 2024 2:06 am

anthonys_collections wrote:
Hoping that I’m not infringing any policies on this site, just to say thanks for this article and that I currently have a Binbak castle on sale on eBay UK and am getting around to listing a Binbak Riding School in the near future. I think I have some farm buildings somewhere too 🙏.

I would like to see them, please.

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 9:56 pm

It's here. I don't collect castles, but it looks good.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 11:12 pm

Dave's pictures are now visible again Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 6:28 pm

Never seen these before! Very interesting!
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 10:23 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

Thank you! How did you do that? There are a few photos missing in other topics that I'd love to see.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 11:36 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

Thank you! How did you do that? There are a few photos missing in other topics that I'd love to see.

If you tell me what topic you want to see, just tell me and I will do the job Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyFri Jan 12, 2024 5:18 pm

Thanks! There are two JEOL topics where I'd quite like to see the photos from elephas_maximas:
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t9272-jeol-g102-african-elephant-cow
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t12785-jeol-bull-elephant-walk-around
I'll let you know if I find any other topics.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyFri Jan 12, 2024 5:20 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Thanks! There are two JEOL topics where I'd quite like to see the photos from elephas_maximas:
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t9272-jeol-g102-african-elephant-cow
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t12785-jeol-bull-elephant-walk-around
I'll let you know if I find any other topics.

Unfortunately I can't help for those ones, elephas_maximas is nowhere to be seen since 2020.

The topics I can bring to life again are Dave Scrivener topics.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyFri Jan 12, 2024 5:48 pm

I see. Here are a few Davescriv topics where the photos have gone. His posts were very informative. It's sad that he is no longer with us.

https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t15062-britains-variants
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t14445-britains-goats
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t13640-britains-plastic-crocodile-colour-variants
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t11403-britains-1962-floral-1964-general-leaflets
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t10998-vintage-zoos-zoo-cages-and-enclosures
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t11031-wend-al-uk-vintage-aluminium-figure-manufacturer
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t11028-phillip-segal-minor-vintage-uk-manufacturer
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de/t11294-crescent-toy-company-farm-zoo

There are some more in the vintage companies non animal series, but they may be less useful for animal collectors. Thanks a lot for your help!

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptyFri Jan 12, 2024 6:48 pm

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 12:58 pm

Thanks, great to see the photos.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings EmptySat Jan 13, 2024 1:14 pm

The job you asked is completely done Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BINBAK vintage UK made buildings   BINBAK vintage UK made buildings Empty

Back to top Go down

BINBAK vintage UK made buildings
Page 1 of 1