Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D

Go down 
+19
NRiyaz
Dutch Bear
Wilorvise
Dum_my
Shanti
ulinuk
Tarunyada
Mgarat
SUSANNE
Anasta SchwarzeWölfin
Noémi
Ana
Roger
LeeAnn
Kikimalou
NightLioness
costicuba
A-J
sadie3112
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D Empty
PostSubject: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 11:27 pm

Hello everybody :)
Alright,
it`s time for me, to keep my promise and to try my best, to make a tutorial, about how I repaint a tiger.
I`ve been asked from Christophe ( Kikimalou ) and some other friends to do that.
Actually, Kiki maybe  is a little engry to me Mad  , becouse he asked me for that a long time ago... Embarassed  
So, Kiki, please, dont be engry..I`m startiiiiinggg Laughing

For my tutorial, I have a permission from Susanne, to use a model which I`ll repaint for her..as a present.. and this will be
the male PAPO tiger :)
I know , that the element of surprise for Susanne, almost completely disappeared like that, but she said , that for her, will be also interesting to see my process of repainting :) So thank you Susanne  sunny

Before to start, first I`m apologize, that my photos are not excellent..and my English is not perfect..
I hope that you will understand everything and if you have questions, please ask me :)

This is my paints and brushes which I`ll use :
tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D Image

Ok, there is diferent ways to start the repainting process.
Some people, first paint the model with white paint..and then, they are using the right colors..
For my tiger, I`m starting immediately (doesn't matter, if the tiger is white or orange) with color , which will be the most dark from the skin ( except the strips)
As you can see in my repaints before, I like very much to show the texture from the model, as much as possible..
That`s why I need this dark color.
For the same reason, when I`m putting the first coat of paint , I`m mixing the paint with a lot of water.
Why ?
When you put  first coat of paint on the plastic , it`s a little hard for the paint , to covers the surface good.
So, you have two choices :
First one, is to put a thick layer of paint..
But I`m using a second option: first I use paint mixed with a lot of water, becouse, like I said,  I want to keep the texture as much as possible... so less paint - more texture :)
After I have the first layer of fine, dry paint, then is very easy for the second layer to fix good.

Let`s start :

1. For my darkest color I mix all my colors, except white..and I`m using the bigest prush:

2. As you can see, the first layer with diluted paint is ready :

Now, I`m gonna do something new for me, which I tried in my last repaint. I`m gonna fix the first layer of paint, with ACRYLIC VARNISH AEROSOL - MATTE.
Why?
The paint can`t fix perfect on platic..and when I continue with repainting, and I hold the model, the paint start to go off on some places...so that`s why, I`ll fix the first layer, and then I`ll continue when it`s dry. I need just one layer of varnish, not more.
Like you can see on the photo, I`m using VALLEJO brand for the varnish.
Thank you Anna  sunny  
Anna proposed to me this brand, and I`m happy with it :)

3. After I fixed with the varnish, I painted with second layer of paint..again mixed with more water :

And now , you can see , that I almost covered the model, and still the texture is very visible.
It`s not full covered..but I don`t need more for now. With next colors, will be full covered.
Remember : less paint - more texture :)

4. Now is more visible one problem of the mass production models.
Check this out:

As you can se now , the plastic lines , from the casting mold are even more visible.
Normally, I cut them before to start with repainting, but now I let them for you, that you can see them more clearly with color.

5. I`ll cut this unnecessary plastic with this knife :

These knives are very sharp...and very good for small details.

6. After I cut the plastic, I`ll reapint again the unpainted places with the same color...

That`s for today :)
Normally I`m a ``night-bird`` :) .. I`m more active at the night. And I was repainting the models before, mostly at the night.
But now, I need better photos for you, so I`ll do it during the days :)
Thank`s for watching..for now :)

Last edited by costicuba on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyTue Mar 03, 2015 11:48 pm

Your English is just fine Kosta Wink Looking good already!

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 12:00 am

LeeAnn wrote:
Your English is just fine Kosta Wink Looking good already!

:) Thank you LeeAnn :))
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 8:32 am

This is SO exiting bounce bounce
A beauty being borne in Bulgaria Very Happy

Now I already begin to see why my feeble attempt to repaint came out so horrible !
I just put a lot of paint on, and did not understand why it looked nothing like what I wanted Embarassed Laughing

So already you have taught me a lot, - thankyou very much for taking all the time it takes to both make a tiger, - but also take pictures and make it understandable ! cheers sunny flower Applause

A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 10:23 am

Yay, the tutorial I've been waiting for cheers
Very intresting, can't wait for more bounce
(and I can't wait try it)

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 11:44 pm

Thank you very much Susanne and Anne-Joke :)
I`m happy, that my tutorial is understandable and interesting for you Wink

I didn`t have so much time today, but I have something for you.

Yesterday I finished with the easyest part of repainting.
Now, next step :

7. I`m starting to play with the texture.
Now, this is something, which I think is  interesting in my way of repainting...and I like when I see, that some major brands is using it for some models.
I`m mixing a slightly lighter color from the same paints... together with some water.
I`m taking the same big brush, but this time I need the brush with the paint to be more dry.
How I`m doing this ?
I`m taking a little bit of paint with the brush and then, before painting the model, I`m scrubbing on
palette, until the brush is more dry, but still has paint on it.
Now, I`m starting with this technique :
Very fast , but gentle moves with the brush, over the surface of the model.
Like this, we can see, how the texture become more visible :

8. Ok, next step I called : ``Too much texture `` :)
What I mean is, that if I let the texture, to be visible like this everywhere..then will be boring , becouse is too much. That`s why I`ll cover some places with the same color...
...just with more wet brush.
And these places are the muscles, which are more visible. Then , I`ll have more dark texture in more concave areas :

As you can see, my process of repainting is going from dark to light colors.
The tiger it`s still very dark..but with next steps and colors will be diferent.
Tomorrow, more Wink

Last edited by costicuba on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 8:58 am

Amazing !!! Shocked
What a difference it makes, - suddenly it begins to look like FUR cheers

It is already a very beautyful cat bounce Applause Very Happy

Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 10:13 am

Great tutorial Kosta! Applause Applause Applause

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Country/State : Russia

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 6:27 pm

Thank you, Kosta!
I will use your tutorial in future! cheers cheers

'Til then I walk alone.

tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D Dsc_1112
Back to top Go down
http://schwarzwolfin.deviantart.com/
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Thank you very much to share this tutorial Sleep Sleep Sleep  At last Laughing cheers

Excellent, it is excellent. Applause  I used the fur technique on my repainting, at least a variant, but I missed the "Too much texture" stage. I will try the next time I find my brushes and a bit of courage Wink
Back to top Go down
NightLioness
NightLioness

Country/State : The Netherlands, Friesland.

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 6:49 pm

It already looks great! Can't wait for the face and stripes and paws, and, and XD

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 7:02 pm

hank you very much friends :)
I`m sorry that is going so slowly...but today is so dark in Sofia... not good for photos...
but anyway..I`ll try to do something later.
Kiki said: ``  Sleep  Sleep  Sleep ..at last ``  Laughing  Yeeees I know... Very Happy I`m too bussy to dance with Rayna  Laughing
Hey Kiki, why I didn`t see any of your repaints till now..?!? scratch Do you have photos somewhere here? :)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 9:33 pm

costicuba wrote:
.....  I`m too bussy to dance with Rayna  Laughing

lol! lol! lol!

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 11:12 pm

costicuba wrote:

Kiki said: ``  Sleep  Sleep  Sleep ..at last ``  Laughing  Yeeees I know... Very Happy  I`m too bussy to dance with Rayna  Laughing

I understand, I'm myself a dancer and I know we have to spend a lot of time to be good enough Very Happy

costicuba wrote:

Hey Kiki, why I didn`t see any of your repaints till now..?!? scratch Do you have photos somewhere here? :)

Why you didn't see my repaints till now? You are too busy dancing with Rayna and painting stripes on every tiger you can catch I guess Laughing

Yes I have several pics of my repaint on STS, but none are good as half as yours drunken
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 11:49 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
costicuba wrote:

Kiki said: ``  Sleep  Sleep  Sleep ..at last ``  Laughing  Yeeees I know... Very Happy  I`m too bussy to dance with Rayna  Laughing

I understand, I'm myself a dancer and I know we have to spend a lot of time to be good enough  Very Happy

costicuba wrote:

Why you didn't see my repaints till now? You are too busy dancing with Rayna and painting stripes on every tiger you can catch I guess Laughing

Yes I have several pics of my repaint on STS, but none are good as half as yours drunken

Laughing ...you know me very well allready lol!
Please, I realy want to see your repaints...can you show me the pages ? bounce Very Happy
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 11:59 pm

Now, back to the tutorial.
I`m sorry, that I`ll show 2 bad photos, but I took them just now..and my camera is from my phone..
But for next step , I don`t need very good quality of photos ..so it`s ok Wink

9. I`m gonna make the base color for the white parts.
Will be more dark..and like this, I`ll have again good texture after, when I will put the white color.
The color I made with white, ochre, brown and black paints, mixed with some water :

Last edited by costicuba on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 8:58 am

I never thought about it, but they do have so much white on them Very Happy

Now he begins to look even more like a tiger cheers

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 1:28 pm

Not much time ago, I thought that you always need to take off the paint from the model, so it is very pleasant discovery for me that you needn't do that Very Happy
Your painting way is very useful for little details. So I'll never stop to thank you for that tutorial! sunny cheers

'Til then I walk alone.

tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D Dsc_1112
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyFri Mar 06, 2015 2:02 pm

Kosta,, you're doing this tutorial very well as it is usual with you. :) Even I am understanding how things work and it is interesting to see that behind all that talent there is a lot of cleverness. cheers
Thanks for finding some free time from Rayna and for giving us such an important contribution to the forum. Very Happy Wink

sadie3112

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 9:44 am

Thank you for sharing your painting technique! I always find it interesting to see how different artists approach the same project Very Happy

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptySat Mar 07, 2015 2:09 pm

Roger wrote:
Kosta,, you're doing this tutorial very well as it is usual with you. :) Even I am understanding how things work and it is interesting to see that behind all that talent there is a lot of cleverness. cheers
Thanks for finding some free time from Rayna and for giving us such an important contribution to the forum. Very Happy Wink

Cleverness, exactly cheers I like this tutorial, models painted by Kosta seemed so natural, it is good to see how much talent, work and cleverness one need to do this Very Happy
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 12:53 am

Thank you so much friends , Susanne, Anasta, Roger, Abby, Kiki :)
I`m realy happy , that I can help showing my process of repainting.
Of course, there are diferent ways for repainting... this is my way..which I changed..and I hope improved , since I start last year :)
I never take off the paint of the original model, before repainting...perhaps some models need that..but ... I don`t know :)

Sorry, that I`m a little slow with my tutorial (not only becouse of Rayna Very Happy Very Happy ),
this time I was not in my home for the weekend, so tomorrow I`ll continue with the process and the photos.
With next steps , the tiger will look more and more a``Tiger`` Very Happy
See you tomorrow :)

Anasta SchwarzeWölfin

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 6:50 am

costicuba wrote:
Thank you so much friends , Susanne, Anasta, Roger, Abby, Kiki :)
I`m realy happy , that I can help showing my process of repainting.
Of course, there are diferent ways for repainting... this is my way..which I changed..and I hope improved , since I start last year :)
I never take off the paint of the original model, before repainting...perhaps some models need that..but ... I don`t know :)

Sorry, that I`m a little slow with my tutorial (not only becouse of Rayna Very Happy Very Happy ),
this time I was not in my home for the weekend, so tomorrow I`ll continue with the process and the photos.
With next steps , the tiger will look more and more a``Tiger`` Very Happy
See you tomorrow :)
Your painting way is the most realistic among ones I've seen before!
And you're not so slowly, do it when you can Very Happy
I'm looking forward the next part of your tutorial bounce cheers
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Thank you very much Anasta :))

Next small step...
10. Like step number 7. , I am doing the same with the white parts.
And now we can see some texture also there :

Just I want to say something, which I think is important.
From my photos, maybe you see the white color, like natural white color..taken just from the tubule.... but is not.
I mixed with some colors.
The same I`ll do with the black color.
Something which I lurned in the art school : ``In paintings, when you make something realistic, never use the black and white colors just from the tubule ! `` ... `` becouse in nature, we never have exactly pure white..or pure black color..! ``
If you use these two colors not mixed, then the models will look not realistic..and more like a toy Wink

Last edited by costicuba on Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D EmptyMon Mar 09, 2015 1:44 pm

costicuba wrote:
Just I want to say something, which I think is important.
From my photos, maybe you see the white color, like natural white color..taken just from the tubule.... but is not.
I mixed with some colors.
The same I`ll do with the black color.
Something which I lurned in the art school : ``In paintings, when you make something realistic, never use the black and white colors just from the tubule ! `` ... `` becouse in nature, we never have exactly pure white..or pure black color..! ``
If you use these two colors not mixed, then the models will look not realistic..and more like a toy Wink

I think this is a very important point indeed. I never painted, though, I often criticize the painting of some mass produced figures when they use very contrasting colors. Pure white, pure black or pure whatever often doesn't increase the realism of a figure. I pointed it with some Mojo figures. I know they cannot paint with a tenth part of the quality as you do, but I believe it is not hard for them to mix colors to reduce the contrast and increase the realism. About this topic, just take all the time you need, no hurries. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D   tiger - Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D Empty

Back to top Go down

Repainting a TIGER in ``Kosta`s style`` :D
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next