Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sean's collection displays updated!

Go down 
+10
NightLioness
Megaptera
TheLastStardust
Tarunyada
75senta75
landrover
barracudacat
widukind
SUSANNE
sbell
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

Sean's collection displays updated! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sean's collection displays updated!   Sean's collection displays updated! - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 9:41 am

Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:
It is almost shocking to watch your displays. Your collection is much more diversified and blue than I ever expected. Laughing
Really impressive, Sean, a joy to watch. Which one is the AAA ray you're talking about? I'd love to put it on TAI and preferrably, if Andreas also show a picture of his color variant. Very Happy

Thanks Roger.

Of course, some of these photos are now out of date...the collection continues to grow, just slowly.

As for the ray, it is the black one with the yellow spots. Most of us will be familiar with it as the classic dull brown one. I am guessing that this is a later run.

Thanks Sean, is the other color variant this one? It is identified on TAI as the small stingray, do you have the larger version too? Very Happy

Yes, that's the one. I once had the big one, many years ago (and the small brown one) but I don't anymore. Just this spotted one now!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Sean's collection displays updated!   Sean's collection displays updated! - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 12:41 pm

sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:
It is almost shocking to watch your displays. Your collection is much more diversified and blue than I ever expected. Laughing
Really impressive, Sean, a joy to watch. Which one is the AAA ray you're talking about? I'd love to put it on TAI and preferrably, if Andreas also show a picture of his color variant. Very Happy

Thanks Roger.

Of course, some of these photos are now out of date...the collection continues to grow, just slowly.

As for the ray, it is the black one with the yellow spots. Most of us will be familiar with it as the classic dull brown one. I am guessing that this is a later run.

What a interesting variation

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Sean's collection displays updated!   Sean's collection displays updated! - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 08, 2018 3:04 pm

widukind wrote:
sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:

Thanks Roger.

What a interesting variation

It really is--I remember thinking that the colouring made it worth getting, since as a figure it's not great. For one thing, it's a skate, not a ray! Hard to nail down a species...I should go through my Rays of the World book to see if I can pick out one...I went with starry, but that doesn't feel right.

I'm also a big freshwater fish-figure fan. Know of anything new and exciting? I need to know as well!
Back to top Go down
Gwaine

Gwaine

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Sean's collection displays updated!   Sean's collection displays updated! - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 3:00 pm

What a lovely collection you have!!!

Papo: 82
Safari: 150
Mojo fun: 23
Playmobil: 117
Other: 288
~
schleich count: 1222
~
Total: 2156

My DeviantArt: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
My Twitter: @Tezzieh
My Instagram: tessa.b.storm
Back to top Go down
https://www.patreon.com/mrsaugustwalker
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Sean's collection displays updated!   Sean's collection displays updated! - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 5:51 pm

sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:

Thanks Roger.

Thanks Sean, is the other color variant this one? It is identified on TAI as the small stingray, do you have the larger version too? Very Happy

Yes, that's the one. I once had the big one, many years ago (and the small brown one) but I don't anymore. Just this spotted one now!

Thanks Sean! Sorry for boring you with more questions. We have another pair on TAI, called devilfish, they seem to be the same figures we are talking about qalthough they do not look like devilfishes at all. Here is the large and smaller one - the latter identified as a winter skate that seems to be a better approach but not sure it is either. Could you confirm if these are the same we are talking? If they are, I will sort it better on TAI. Very Happy

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Sean's collection displays updated!   Sean's collection displays updated! - Page 4 EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 11:50 pm

Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:

Thanks Roger.

Thanks Sean! Sorry for boring you with more questions. We have another pair on TAI, called devilfish, they seem to be the same figures we are talking about qalthough they do not look like devilfishes at all. Here is the large and smaller one - the latter identified as a winter skate that seems to be a better approach but not sure it is either. Could you confirm if these are the same we are talking? If they are, I will sort it better on TAI. Very Happy

Hey Roger,

Yes, the ones I had were labelled as 'devil fish' as well. But this one has no markings other than 'China'. So it could be a repainted knockoff? Of a AAA figure? Outrageous!

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Sean's collection displays updated!   Sean's collection displays updated! - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 6:01 am

sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:

Thanks Roger.

Hey Roger,

Yes, the ones I had were labelled as 'devil fish' as well. But this one has no markings other than 'China'. So it could be a repainted knockoff? Of a AAA figure? Outrageous!

Laughing We never know if a non marked AAA is a knockoff or just a non marked AAA Very Happy Well, as there isn't such a thing as a double pair of AAA rays, I deleted the extra pair on TAI and preserved those called devilfish. I mmerged both small versions in the same page once they're the same and I am just identifying them generically as stingrays once they are not for sure devilfish and unlikely they're winter skates. The pointy snout of the figure looks much more like a common stingray than properly like a Winter skate. It looks like a Dasyatidae to me. scratch I don't know yet what to do with your figure but I will check if those on TAI are marked. Very Happy

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Sean's collection displays updated!   Sean's collection displays updated! - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:
Roger wrote:

Thanks Roger.

Hey Roger,

Laughing We never know if a non marked AAA is a knockoff  or just a non marked AAA Very Happy Well, as there isn't such a thing as a double pair of AAA rays, I deleted the extra pair on TAI and preserved those called devilfish. I mmerged both small versions in the same page once they're the same and I am just identifying them generically as stingrays once they are not for sure devilfish and unlikely they're winter skates. The pointy snout of the figure looks much more like a common stingray than properly like a Winter skate. It looks like a Dasyatidae to me. scratch I don't know yet what to do with your figure but I will check if those on TAI are marked. Very Happy

They can't be dasyatids (or any other Myliobatiformes). Their tail is not rod or whip like with a barb (admittedly, not normally included on toys!), there are distinct bumps/scutes on the dorsal surface, and two distinct dorsal fins on the end of the tail. This means it has to be a Rajiforme of some kind:

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Sean's collection displays updated!   Sean's collection displays updated! - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 4:52 pm

sbell wrote:

They can't be dasyatids (or any other Myliobatiformes). Their tail is not rod or whip like with a barb (admittedly, not normally included on toys!), there are distinct bumps/scutes on the dorsal surface, and two distinct dorsal fins on the end of the tail. This means it has to be a Rajiforme of some kind:

I did know you would be the perfect person to ask. Curiously the only catalogue of AAA we know, the Italian one, calls it a razza gigante, I believe that's the Italian name to giant skate (Dipturus gigas) - It is not easy to find pictures of it online, here is the Fishbase entry. - could it be a good guess?

sbell

PostSubject: Re: Sean's collection displays updated!   Sean's collection displays updated! - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 10, 2018 10:09 pm

Roger wrote:
sbell wrote:

I did know you would be the perfect person to ask. Curiously the only catalogue of AAA we know, the Italian one, calls it a razza gigante, I believe that's the Italian name to giant skate (Dipturus gigas) - It is not easy to find pictures of it online, here is the Fishbase entry. - could it be a good guess?

Given the long nose of Dipturus, I don't think that's it. From my Rays of the World volume (1000 pages of ray illustration! Whoo!), it is most like a rajid or, almost more likely, a bathyrajid. There are even some that have similar dark body-light spot patterns (not exact of course but similar). I don't think it's a winter skate.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sean's collection displays updated!   Sean's collection displays updated! - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sean's collection displays updated!
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4