Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection

Go down 
+25
costicuba
Steve170
spacelab
WhiteLightning Wolf
Advicot
rogerpgvg
landrover
Caracal
Kikimalou
widukind
Saarlooswolfhound
bmathison1972
pipsxlch
A.R.Garcia
Tiermann
1claire
Bloodrayne
lucky luke
Roger
Duck-Anch-Amun
Taos
halichoeres
Megaptera
Pardofelis
SUSANNE
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 1:40 pm

widukind wrote:
Phantastic!!

Excuse me, and truly, I'm sorry for this, but perhaps you mean "fin-tastic"?
Back to top Go down
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 2:03 pm

halichoeres wrote:
widukind wrote:
Phantastic!!

Excuse me, and truly, I'm sorry for this, but perhaps you mean "fin-tastic"?

Oh yes, i believe i will now always write this word for fishes :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Revisiting the chameleons, with the addition of the strange-horned chameleon, Kinyongia xenorhina, by Yowie USA (Rescue Series). Photographed here with the previously-shown veiled chameleon by Kaiyodo.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 3:30 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 8:55 am

This is one of the topics that make me smile Very Happy cheers Applause

bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 11:05 am

Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:

P.S. The Peccary is more a collared peccary, a white-lipped peccary recently appeared by yowie US.

Nice catch, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ; that was just a 'brain-fart' on my part. I had the correct scientific name, just wrote the wrong common name. I grew up with these critters in Arizona, so I know them well ;-) Although in Arizona, we used the Spanish name 'javelina' (referring to the javelin-shaped teeth). No one growing up called them peccaries Laughing
Back to top Go down
halichoeres

halichoeres

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 1:40 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:

P.S. The Peccary is more a collared peccary, a white-lipped peccary recently appeared by yowie US.

Nice catch, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ; that was just a 'brain-fart' on my part. I had the correct scientific name, just wrote the wrong common name. I grew up with these critters in Arizona, so I know them well ;-) Although in Arizona, we used the Spanish name 'javelina' (referring to the javelin-shaped teeth). No one growing up called them peccaries Laughing

Can confirm. Grew up just outside Tucson and we always called them javelinas. There were some substantial herds in the arroyos.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 2:04 pm

halichoeres wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:
Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:

Can confirm. Grew up just outside Tucson and we always called them javelinas. There were some substantial herds in the arroyos.

I didn't know that, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ! I grew up in Tempe, but I did my undergrad at University of Arizona! Loooooove Tucson. So, did you buy figures at Yikes! Toy Store in Tucson!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
halichoeres

halichoeres

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 3:28 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
halichoeres wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:
Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:

I didn't know that, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ! I grew up in Tempe, but I did my undergrad at University of Arizona! Loooooove Tucson. So, did you buy figures at Yikes! Toy Store in Tucson!!!!!!!!

Oh wow, I lived in Tempe for a while and worked at the Trader Joe's on McClintock, although I went to college in Minneapolis. I only went to Yikes! a couple of times. I lived on the far south side on the way to Sahuarita so my toys mostly came from the KMart on Valencia, but for a rare treat I might get something from Imaginarium at the Tucson Mall, or the gift shop of the Reid Park Zoo (where I also worked for a short time).
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 4:09 pm

The world is quite a small place:D

And your collection is wonderful by the way!
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 9:12 pm

The next major focus groups are the monotremes and marsupials. Because these are all Australasian (the Safari LTD Virginia oppossum was not readily attainable), expect most of them from Australian manufacturers Science and Nature and Southland Replicas, as well as Cadbury (creators of the original Yowies, which focused heavily on the Australian fauna).

Many of the species made by Science and Nature are represented by small and large versions; all of mine below are the small versions. All Southland Replicas figures are in scale with one another, in the 1:12-1:15 range.

I have actually had most of these for over a week, but was waiting for the cuscus to arrive, and it did today.

Remember, depth of field in the images might affect how the figures compare in size.

Order: Monotremata (platypus and echidnas)
1. platypus, Ornithorhynchus anatinus (Southland Replicas, 2017)
2. short-beaked echidna, Tachyglossus aculeatus (Southland Replicas, 2017)

Clade: Marsupialia

Order Dasyuromorpha, familes †Thylacinidae (Tasmanian tiger), Dasyuridae (quolls, Tasmanian devil, etc.), and Myrmecobiidae (numbat).
1. tiger quoll, Dasyurus maculatus (Southland Replicas, 2017)
2. Tasmanian devil, Sarcophilus harrisii (Southland Replicas, 2017)
3. numbat, Myrmecobius fasciatus (Science and Nature - Animals of Australia)
4. Tasmanian tiger (thylacine), †Thylacinus cynocephalus (Southland Replicas, 2016)
I almost went with the Mojo Fun figure, since it is the ONLY one without its mouth gaping open. Not sure why predators always have to be shown with such gaping mouths.

Order Notoryctemorphia, family Notoryctidae (marsupial moles), and Order Peramelemorphia, familes Thylacomyidae (bilbies) and Peramelidae (bandicoots)
1. marsupial mole, Notoryctes sp. (Cadbury - Yowies UK Series 1)
2. eastern barred bandicoot, Peramelas gunnii (Science and Nature - Animals of Australia)
3. greater bilby, Macrotis lagotis (Science and Nature - Animals of Australia)

Order Diprotodontia, suborder Vombatiformes, families Vombatidae (wombats), Phascolarctidae (koala), †Diprodontidae (giant wombats), †Thylacoleonidae (Tasmanian tigers)
1. giant wombat, †Diprotodon opatum (Southland Replicas, 2018)
2. marsupial lion, †Thylacoleo carnifex (Southland Replicas, 2016)
3. koala, Phascolarctos cinereus (CollectA, 2009)
I went with this figure because I liked the tree stump base. The paint was not as good as promotional pictures, however. In the figure I received, the color of the animal and tree tend to blend together... It also scales a bit bigger than the Southland Replicas figures, but that is OK for my needs.
4. common wombat, Vombatus ursinus (CollectA, 2016)
5. southern hairy-nosed wombat, Lasiorhinus latifrons (Southland Replicas, 2017)

Order Diprotodontia, suborder Phalangeriformes, families Burramyidae (pygmy possums), Petauridae (possums and sugar gliders), and Phalangeridae (brush-tailed possums and cuscuses).
1. pygmy possum, Cercartetus sp. (Cadbury - Yowies UK Series 2)
2. striped possum, Dactylopsila trivirgata (Cadbury - Yowies UK Series 1)
3. mountain brush-tailed possum, Trichosurus cunninghami (Southland Replicas, 2017)
4. common spotted cuscus, Spilocuscus maculatus (Arborium Artwork)

Order Diprotodontia, suborder Macropodiformes, family Macropodidae (kangaroos and wallabies)
1. Lumhotlz's tree-kangaroo, Dendrolagus lumholtzi (Southland Replicas, 2017)
2. rufous hare-wallaby, Lagorchestes hirsutus (Cadbury - Yowies UK Series 2)
3. eastern grey kangaroo, Macropus giganteus (Southland Replicas, 2017)
4. red kangaroo, Macropus rufus (Southland Replicas, 2017)
5. quokka, Setonix brachyurus (Schleich, 2019)

Back to top Go down
halichoeres

halichoeres

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 10:40 pm

I'm a little surprised there aren't more kangaroos, considering how many species exist. I'm betting nobody has made a caenolestid or a monito del monte...

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 3:02 am

Lots of beauty's

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 6:20 am

Southlands represent a step forward in this group of animals and it is not surprising that the core of your choices are from this brand. With the exception of the diprotodon, I also have all these. I don't have however these Yowies neither the cuscus.
I am surprised with your koala choice. Southlands has a wonderful Northern koala and the new Schleich, that I also miss, seems a very good figure too. I understand your choice evidently, I also have a Papo koala and it is surely not the best on market.
I confess I had some troubles also to choose a Tasmanian tiger, so I have the three, Southlands, CollectA and Mojö. All have their special things and are very good figures.
I also couldn't ride out of my CollectA Tasmanian devil when I received the Southlands. I don't know which one is my favorite. I still have the poor S&N small version, not comparable but it bears some meaning to me.
What about the Safari Bennett's wallaby? Have I missed anything? That's such a nice figure to be missed. Wink

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 7:11 am

Hi Roger, I did not get the Safari wallaby because I thought it was generic; I did not realize it was modeled after a specific species. Kaiyodo also released Goodfellow's tree kangaroo, but it comes on a small base with a red kangaroo that distracted it from me. I may revisit one or both of these later down the road.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 9:07 am

bmathison1972 wrote:
Hi Roger, I did not get the Safari wallaby because I thought it was generic; I did not realize it was modeled after a specific species. Kaiyodo also released Goodfellow's tree kangaroo, but it comes on a small base with a red kangaroo that distracted it from me. I may revisit one or both of these later down the road.

It was Doug Watson, the sculptor of the figure, on this forum, who confirmed the figure was modeled after a Bennett's wallaby. You can go for it safely. Be sure you won't miss it on the 2nd round. Wink

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 9:09 am

Roger wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

It was Doug Watson, the sculptor of the figure, on this forum, who confirmed the figure was modeled after a Bennett's wallaby. You can go for it safely. Be sure you won't miss it on the 2nd round. Wink

Thanks Roger, that makes me feel much better. Safari figures are usually certainly modeled after actual species, I just wish the company would market then accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 am

these Southlands replicas seem museum ones! I wonder if I shall command this thylacine because I already have the Mojo and Collect ones but this one presents better corpse proportions I think..
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 10:36 am

Roger wrote:
I confess I had some troubles also to choose a Tasmanian tiger, so I have the three, Southlands, CollectA and Mojö.

Are all the three of them more or less the same size/scale? I avoided adding any of them to my wishlist because all seems to big for me...

Blaine, did you tough in a Science and Nature yellow-footed rock wallaby? Or are you waiting (like me) until they release the promised (new for 2019) smaller version of it? (the current version is just giant...) Or you maybe will go for the Colorata one, despite lack of detail (hair not sculpted)?

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 3:45 pm

Very Happy Applause Applause Applause Cool sunny study cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 4:23 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Roger wrote:
I confess I had some troubles also to choose a Tasmanian tiger, so I have the three, Southlands, CollectA and Mojö.

Are all the three of them more or less the same size/scale? I avoided adding any of them to my wishlist because all seems to big for me...

Yes, they are more or less the same scale and they display very well together. You can find a comparison picture in the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] cat
If the angle is not clear, I can take a side view picture showing them . Very Happy

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 5:21 pm

Pardofelis wrote:

Blaine, did you tough in a Science and Nature yellow-footed rock wallaby? Or are you waiting (like me) until they release the promised (new for 2019) smaller version of it? (the current version is just giant...) Or you maybe will go for the Colorata one, despite lack of detail (hair not sculpted)?

Pardofelis, yes I am waiting for the 'small' Science and Nature figure later this year. I would have bought the Colorata one if was available at the time from my regular sources, but I am content to wait for the S&S figure!
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 6:50 am

halichoeres wrote:
I'm a little surprised there aren't more kangaroos, considering how many species exist. I'm betting nobody has made a caenolestid or a monito del monte...

US Yowie has made a Wallaroo and there exists the Safari Bennet-Kangaroo and the S&N/Colorata Yellow-Footed Rockwallaby as Roger and Pardofelis mentioned.
During my visit in Australia, I was really surprised to see how many different kangaroos in shape and colour exists. I tried to make photos of each that I saw, but the species identification ist rather impossible for me. I think most people know the grey and red kangaroo, quokka and the red-necked wallaby.
But as I said, identification is rather difficult and so people don´t make the difference between all the wallaby species...

Maybe we have a kangaroo expert in this forum? I would like to identify my kangaroo photos Very Happy

With your bet, I´m sure you are right. American marsupials are quiet never produced. Maybe only by australian yowie. The only american marsupial from a greater brand that I know is the virginia opossum by Safari. But I think this one is to big for blaine.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 9:25 am

Roger wrote:
Pardofelis wrote:
Roger wrote:

Yes, they are more or less the same scale and they display very well together. You can find a comparison picture in the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] cat
If the angle is not clear, I can take a side view picture showing them . Very Happy

Great thanks! Crearly, in your pic, the Southlands is the biggest (the head is much bigger than the others's heads). The best one looks like the Joan model, but being hand-made would be difficult to get. The Mojo one is good in size as the Joan model, but it have a strange face, with a sad look... and apparently a very slim body... So I think the CollectA one, despite being slightly bigger, will be my final choice.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 1:05 pm

Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:
halichoeres wrote:

US Yowie has made a Wallaroo and there exists the Safari Bennet-Kangaroo and the S&N/Colorata Yellow-Footed Rockwallaby as Roger and Pardofelis mentioned.
During my visit in Australia, I was really surprised to see how many different kangaroos in shape and colour exists. I tried to make photos of each that I saw, but the species identification ist rather impossible for me. I think most people know the grey and red kangaroo, quokka and the red-necked wallaby.
But as I said, identification is rather difficult and so people don´t make the difference between all the wallaby species...

Maybe we have a kangaroo expert in this forum? I would like to identify my kangaroo photos Very Happy

With your bet, I´m sure you are right. American marsupials are quiet never produced. Maybe only by australian yowie. The only american marsupial from a greater brand that I know is the virginia opossum by Safari. But I think this one is to big for blaine.

Safari Ltd have a opossum. And the are also other kangaroos by Yowies UK and a another rockwallaby by Marx.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection   Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Blaine's Synoptic Animal Collection
Page 4 of 24Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 24  Next