Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands

Go down 
+17
rogerpgvg
spacelab
Duck-Anch-Amun
Saarlooswolfhound
Pepi
Bonnie
lucky luke
Kikimalou
SerAndrew
costicuba
Pardofelis
Advicot
bmathison1972
Steve170
SUSANNE
RtasVadumee
Roger
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 12:50 pm

I love that Safari aardvark, so full of character! cheers And the Schleich anteater is actually very nice, this brand can still bring us lovely animals if they try! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 1:45 pm

They scale nicely together and that's the problem... Razz
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 10:10 am

Laughing Safari aardvark does not look large anymore. Wink
Now a comparison with a few primates.
Safari spider monkey, snub-nosed monkey and ring-tailed lemur; Schleich proboscis monkey and squirrel monkey.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 5:36 pm

Five fantastic primates, I love all the different poses they have! cheers
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 5:53 pm

The snub-nosed is very nice, even as an oversized model. But scaling in monkeys is a lost battle from the start to the end, so I might eventually buy it.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 4:39 pm

Thanks to you both. Now a very predictable comparison. The trio of red, Arctic and Fennec foxes from Schleich (current models) and Safari.
Just to let you know, my favorite trio is from Papo. Laughing

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 5:29 pm

Arctic is huge, fennec is big and ugly (sorry), while the red seems OK. The red Schleich looks very "foxy" in your photo, I think it's a model that wasn't appreciated properly by all of us.
Yeah, probably the Papo trio is winning the contest.
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 5:57 pm

I absolutely love the old Schleich arctic fox and kit, and CollectA's fennec fox, but I definitely agree that Papo's trio is the best!
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 5:58 pm

The Schleich red fox looks very good in this photo. Better than the photo on TAW, perhaps because it was taken from a different angle.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 6:55 pm

Beautiful foxes, I really like the general outline of the Safari model but the Schleich red fox also looks really realistic in your photo- and slim like the foxes I see here in the UK! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 7:02 pm

spacelab wrote:
Arctic is huge, fennec is big and ugly (sorry), while the red seems OK. The red Schleich looks very "foxy" in your photo, I think it's a model that wasn't appreciated properly by all of us.
Yeah, probably the Papo trio is winning the contest.

You don't have to feel sorry, that's the fun of it all. I agree Safari fennec is not the best work from Doug Watson, we even suggested it to be another species of fox. Arctic fox is massive with its winter fur, very oldfashioned in a AAA style. Safari red fox is the one I think we never appreciated properly because it is a very good representation of an American fox and despite the simple pose, it is more elegant than their recently released wolf. Maybe the Schleich red fox representes better the European as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] suggested. flower
However, I want to remember that sizes are very subjective and relative, look all these Safari and tell me now if you think the fennec is big. Laughing

Joliezac wrote:
I absolutely love the old Schleich arctic fox and kit, and CollectA's fennec fox, but I definitely agree that Papo's trio is the best!

I also love these two you mentioned and the CollectA fennec has that appeal we used to find in many Schleich figures in the past contrarily to this bizarre cuteness of the Schleich fennec. Here is Papo's trio, it does not belong to this topic subject but I think it is oportune to show. I can take a pic of CollectA's but they do not have yet an Arctic fox.

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 18, 2021 12:11 pm

Useful comparisons as usual, I suspect however that the aardvark's is a bit dishonest one lol!

Here is my opinion about the figures shown.

The anhinga is too big but that's not the main issue about that figure I have always hated. Anhinga are slender almost serpentine birds and everything about this model is too thick and coarse. I don't see anything but a fat cormorant here.

The booby is a different story as it is so stupendous that I may (or rather WILL Laughing ) just overlook its size and add it to the collection next time I order some Safari stuff.

The roadrunner and the brown pelican are two Safari grails I would sell the shirt off my back for ! The bully woodpeckers doesn't look bad either, I think a green version also exists, I should have a better look at Bully stuff on Vinted.

Useful feline comparison indeed, even if I still hope to get the Beauty of the Beasts lynxes at some point, so those Safari are not for me.

Useful primates too, it confirms me that the snub-nosed, despite my liking of the species, is not for me either : the Schleich proboscis is already borderline and a bigger snub-nosed is a NO WAY.

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 18, 2021 1:29 pm

Wow, those Safari models are so big (And beautiful Very Happy) next to the tiny Fennec! cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 3:55 pm

RtasVadumee wrote:

Here is my opinion about the figures shown.

The anhinga is too big but that's not the main issue about that figure I have always hated. Anhinga are slender almost serpentine birds and everything about this model is too thick and coarse. I don't see anything but a fat cormorant here.

Here is a picture for you, sorry for bad quality but it is enough to show how discontent these are with you. Laughing
This anhinga is the newer painting version contrarily to the model previously presented.

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 5:01 pm

I think scaling birds looks like a dead-end with no escape. I accepted the CollectA secretary bird because it's so gorgeous and interesting, but it's getting too confusing to keep a narrow scale with the Safari birds in.
Also I see a trend for Papo to make smaller birds now, while CollectA makes them bigger now and Safari has never and will never learn what the words "in-scale" mean...

I like this anhinga though..
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 5:15 pm

spacelab wrote:
I think scaling birds looks like a dead-end with no escape. I accepted the CollectA secretary bird because it's so gorgeous and interesting, but it's getting too confusing to keep a narrow scale with the Safari birds in.
Also I see a trend for Papo to make smaller birds now, while CollectA makes them bigger now and Safari has never and will never learn what the words "in-scale" mean...

I like this anhinga though..

I completely agree with you. Although the Safari birds are never even close to in scale with each other, I do love their sizes. Big enough for details but not so huge to where it is unnecessary to collect. I am however, very happy with Papo's decisions to make smaller birds, especially since they don't lose any detail when made smaller. I think their new robin is an excellent example of that.
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 7:56 pm

Scale is the most debatable subject in htis hobby. If Safari is the brand that has the weirdest relation of sizes among their standard sized figures, it is also the brand that allows to make a large selection of figures at the same scale. Not illusively, really at the same scale as I said.
This anhinga and cormorant are replicas of birds that weigh more than 1 kg, I honestly find the size of the Safari model more appealing for a replica, this Papo cormorant and especially the albatross are somewhat small for my taste even if I have both. The robin is a 20g bird, 60 times less massive than those sea birds pictured. Thus, I will obviously enjoy its small size. I like the Safari anhinga, it is the only representative among major brands, it has a characteristic pose, this last version is decently painted, it is not as delicate as a Japanese figure but the design is perfectly in line with what Western companies use to do. The Wings of the World was the series who guided me to be a Safari addict, I also love a lot the North American wildlife series.

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 8:09 pm

we both said we like the anhinga.. Razz
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 8:14 pm

spacelab wrote:
we both said we like the anhinga.. Razz

Sure. cheers

thefaintsmile

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: "Oversized" smaller animals   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 10:22 pm

Hi guys, quick question to anyone that own a lot of Safari LTD animals. Is there many "smaller" animals (in the regular Wildlife series, I mean) that you feel is too "out of scale" to fit with others from the same series? I've recently acquired their aardvark, raccoon and grey squirrel and I felt they were too large to go along the rest on my shelves while others are perfectly sized, so now I'm hesitant to buy some of them (the downside of online shopping Sad ). I'm not trying to reflect realistic scaling but at least *some* logical size. Is there any other you would suggest I avoid, knowing this? How's the porcupine, striped skunk, honey badger, tasmanian devil, dingo, koala, desert hare, polar hare, otter and platypus for example?
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 10:34 pm

Most of these are larger than their counterparts. Maybe it is a good idea to gather a few forum pictures and open a topic with comparisons about the Wild Safari models. You can find most of them through our topics and I have tow of these and I can take comparison pictures for you. Namely the porcupine and desert hare. Do you want me to compare them with the Schleich closest related?

thefaintsmile

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 10:56 pm

Roger wrote:
Most of these are larger than their counterparts. Maybe it is a good idea to gather a few forum pictures and open a topic with comparisons about the Wild Safari models. You can find most of them through our topics and I have tow of these and I can take comparison pictures for you. Namely the porcupine and desert hare. Do you want me to compare them with the Schleich closest related?

Yes, that would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 11:08 pm

I forgot we already have a topic [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I will merge this one if you don't mind.

Here they are, don't forget they are different species.

Safari Desert hare and Schleich European hare

Schleich African crested porcupine and Safari Ltd American porcupine

thefaintsmile

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 11:16 pm

Roger wrote:
I forgot we already have a topic [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I will merge this one if you don't mind.

Had a quick look, this will be very helpful!
Back to top Go down
thefaintsmile

thefaintsmile

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 11:52 pm

Could anyone provide comparison for these models?

- Hyacinth macaw versus new Schleich version
- Tasmanian devil versus Mojo or Collecta or Science & Nature
- Dingo versus Shleich Outback Adventures dingo or something else?
- Hyena versus Schleich or Papo
- Koala versus Schleich newer koala or female koala and baby.
- Lemur versus Shleich, Papo, Mojo or Collecta
- Otter versus Papo or Collecta
- Skunk versus Schleich or Collecta
- Platypus versus Schleich, Papo or Collecta
- the 2023 mountain lion versus the other one made by Safari
- Moose male/female versus new and older Schleich

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next