Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands

Go down 
+17
rogerpgvg
spacelab
Duck-Anch-Amun
Saarlooswolfhound
Pepi
Bonnie
lucky luke
Kikimalou
SerAndrew
costicuba
Pardofelis
Advicot
bmathison1972
Steve170
SUSANNE
RtasVadumee
Roger
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 12:13 pm

Today's comparison is another Safari figure I really like a lot. It is the Malayan tapir, my favorite of the 2010 trio and the only one I couldn't buy locally at the time.
I am comparing with the CollectA Baird's tapir whose mould is now used for a Malayan tapir too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

RtasVadumee wrote:
Glad to know you are reunited with your collection, I hope the transportation was fine and nothing was damaged.

I have had the opportunity to get that Schleich jackal once, but rejected it because I already had the better CollectA. Now I regret that choice because despite those bad proportions, I think they would have formed a pretty nice pair together.

However, I currently do have the opportunity to get the Safari wild dog, it's certainly better than my Mojo and yours is brilliantly painted but I would need to know if it's a male or a female so I would be grateful if you could have a look between its legs for me Laughing I also don't remember the gender of my Mojo if anyone has it.

That Schleich boar remained the best from the German brand IMO and despite a little oversizing, the peccari is a too important species to be missed.

I missed the Papo standing polar bear because I already had too many Schleich and don't want to end up with a pack of this solitary animal. I would need to get rid of a Schleich, but my least favourite is the newest one which is yet the most compatible aesthetically with the Papo... So I quite don't know scratch

As you know, the Schleich jackal is the kind of figure I don't really like, I got it because it is a very interesting species and the traditional Schleich appeal exists in this figure too. Though, as I use to say, a penguin painted like a zebra doesn't turn it into a good zebra figure. This jackal could be many other species and it would be a bad sculpt for all of them.
I can take a comparison picture with the far better CollectA rendition.
Safari wild dog is still an extraordinary figure and the unappealing Safari painting style works perfectly with this model. Also, the proportions are comparable with the current standards of CollectA models.
I think it is genderless, probably a female once it was released with a pup but it is hard to see. There's a row of fur that looks like a socket for a genital tool but no tests.
My model as the number 1010 printed what may mean it was a 2010 manufacturing batch.
This little wild boar is still my official representative of the species in my collection but Mojö Fun model corresponds better to my likings. I may get it someday. pig

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 12:27 pm

Roger wrote:
Today's comparison is another Safari figure I really like a lot. It is the Malayan tapir, my favorite of the 2010 trio and the only one I couldn't buy locally at the time.
I am comparing with the CollectA Baird's tapir whose mould is now used for a Malayan tapir too.

RtasVadumee wrote:
Glad to know you are reunited with your collection, I hope the transportation was fine and nothing was damaged.

I have had the opportunity to get that Schleich jackal once, but rejected it because I already had the better CollectA. Now I regret that choice because despite those bad proportions, I think they would have formed a pretty nice pair together.

However, I currently do have the opportunity to get the Safari wild dog, it's certainly better than my Mojo and yours is brilliantly painted but I would need to know if it's a male or a female so I would be grateful if you could have a look between its legs for me Laughing I also don't remember the gender of my Mojo if anyone has it.

That Schleich boar remained the best from the German brand IMO and despite a little oversizing, the peccari is a too important species to be missed.

I missed the Papo standing polar bear because I already had too many Schleich and don't want to end up with a pack of this solitary animal. I would need to get rid of a Schleich, but my least favourite is the newest one which is yet the most compatible aesthetically with the Papo... So I quite don't know scratch

As you know, the Schleich jackal is the kind of figure I don't really like, I got it because it is a very interesting species and the traditional Schleich appeal exists in this figure too. Though, as I use to say, a penguin painted like a zebra doesn't turn it into a good zebra figure. This jackal could be many other species and it would be a bad sculpt for all of them.
I can take a comparison picture with the far better CollectA rendition.
Safari wild dog is still an extraordinary figure and the unappealing Safari painting style works perfectly with this model. Also, the proportions are comparable with the current standards of CollectA models.
I think it is genderless, probably a female once it was released with a pup but it is hard to see. There's a row of fur that looks like a socket for a genital tool but no tests.
My model as the number 1010 printed what may mean it was a 2010 manufacturing batch.
This little wild boar is still my official representative of the species in my collection but Mojö Fun model corresponds better to my likings. I may get it someday. pig

Thanks for the comparison offer but I won't put any effort into finding that jackal now, I just had an easy opportunity once and rejected it so now it's over.

I know you already told me that "obscene pictures were not allowed on forum" but could you please take a close-up of that row of fur please ? Laughing The pup doesn't mean anything IMO, CollectA always release claves with their daddies dans Schleich did the same on several occasions. Btw, this pup is certainly one of those Safari grails on my wishlist, along with the brown pelican and roadrunner but I know I likely will never ever find them.

That tapir is beautiful and certainly not as difficult to find, but you have to deal with that Italian website I had problems with. I considered it for a while as a male to my Schleich female.

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 2:10 pm

Those Tapirs are fantastic too, even though they are painted relatively simply compared to other animals the way it has been done still makes them look so realistic! Very Happy From what I can see the sculpt of the face of the Safari model is brilliant too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 7:17 pm

Thanks Bonnie, i think I don't have Safari domestic dogs to compare but I am still sorting things. Wink

RtasVadumee wrote:

I know you already told me that "obscene pictures were not allowed on forum" but could you please take a close-up of that row of fur please ? Laughing The pup doesn't mean anything IMO, CollectA always release claves with their daddies dans Schleich did the same on several occasions. Btw, this pup is certainly one of those Safari grails on my wishlist, along with the brown pelican and roadrunner but I know I likely will never ever find them.

That tapir is beautiful and certainly not as difficult to find, but you have to deal with that Italian website I had problems with. I considered it for a while as a male to my Schleich female.

I can't take sharp pictures yet but I suspect there isn't anything to be seen.

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 7:34 pm

Amazing row of fur this dog has! Razz
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 10:22 pm

You know this tapir is my holy grial, I hope Advicot can send it to me before I lost interest in collect figurines!

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 10:05 am

I am afraid that while showing the Safari African wild dog with the very short-legged Schleich jackal, may contribute to the idea that it is a large figure.
It is not, here from a different angle with the Papo lioness.

spacelab wrote:
Amazing row of fur this dog has! Razz

lol! We have a few young friends on forum and I don't feel confortable talking about genital parts, I believe a row of fur sounds friendly to everyone. Wink

[/quote]

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 4:58 pm

Now some Safari bird comparisons.

Safari anhinga (old variation) with Schleich pelican

Science and Nature Blue Wren  and Safari Northern mocking bird

Safari blue-footed booby and Schleich pelican

Schleich great white pelican and Safari brown pelican

I will show some more birds next time.

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 5:17 pm

Hmm.. it seems that both anhinga and blue footed booby are too big for the Schleich Pelican. Esepcially the booby seems gigantic.. scratch
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 5:19 pm

That anhinga is really cool :)
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 5:25 pm

here is an interesting photo to compare real life size of some of the above birds.

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 6:56 pm

Beautiful comparisons my friend! It is fun to see how each brand scales and stylizes their releases. I am happy your collection is being rediscovered like new.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 9:07 pm

These birds are beautiful and it's really useful to see all these comparisons! cheers And also to see some of the models in your collection, you have some wonderful animals! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 9:38 pm

The Safari brown pelican is one of my favorite figures from the Wings of the World collection. my Schleich brown pelican stands next to him on my shelf and he doesn't do the Safari one a justice!
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 10:35 am

Thanks everyone! I love these comparisons with real animals, Birds of Galápagos, what a nice subject for a new Maia & Borges series. Honestly [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], I didn't know a blue-footed booby was such a large bird in real.  All others on TAW are smaller as you can see here but I like the one I have.
As promised, a few more birds.

Safari greater roadrunner with CollectA and Bullyland woodpeckers.

Safari king vulture, Schleich goose vulture, Bullyland Andean condor and Mojö Fun griffon vulture.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 6:51 pm

Good-looking vultures, especially the Safari. Have you chosen to collect only handsome vulture species or do companies not make the uglier ones like the red-headed vulture?

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 8:59 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Good-looking vultures, especially the Safari. Have you chosen to collect only handsome vulture species or do companies not make the uglier ones like the red-headed vulture?

lol! Those are not all my vultures, not even half of them. My perception of what is a good looking animal is surely not similar with pop culture. I don't even know to which exact species you're refering to. Maybe the new-world one, also known as turkey vulture? Regardless of being the Indian red-headed vulture or the American, I surely would love to have figures of both of them. Especially from the standard-sized series of the major brands that represent my main collecting focus. If you mean the turkey vulture, maybe these two small ones work nicely for your collection. Thus, it is more the companies that avoid the uglier ones and the griffons (Gyps) are the closest they go once they represent what a vulture looks like for common sense. From the 6 majors, only Safari never made a griffon and you can find them through vintage companies like Britains, Clairet or even Pech Hermanos.

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 3:02 am

I also really like those vultures, especially the king vulture.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 12:36 pm

Beautiful vultures and and woodpeckers, I love the way they are perched on trees, and how the trees have also been made as realistically as the birds! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 7:21 pm

Roger wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:

lol! Those are not all my vultures, not even half of them. My perception of what is a good looking animal is surely not similar with pop culture. I don't even know to which exact species you're refering to. Maybe the new-world one, also known as turkey vulture? Regardless of being the Indian red-headed vulture or the American, I surely would love to have figures of both of them. Especially from the standard-sized series of the major brands that represent my main collecting focus. If you mean the turkey vulture, maybe these two small ones work nicely for your collection. Thus, it is more the companies that avoid the uglier ones and the griffons (Gyps) are the closest they go once they represent what a vulture looks like for common sense. From the 6 majors, only Safari never made a griffon and you can find them through vintage companies like Britains, Clairet or even Pech Hermanos.

The turkey vulture indeed isn't the most handsome, but of course, I wouldn't mind having one either. The only 1:32 scale vulture I have is the Britains. No idea how large their vulture is, but thanks for pointing out Pech, it isn't a company I had heard of before, but it looks like they made some great figures.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 2:40 pm

Thanks everyone. Very Happy
Here is a picture with American felines.
Papo ocelot, Papo puma, Schleich jaguar, Mojö Fun moutain lion, Safari Canada lynx and Safari Bobcat Wink
I surely need to get the Safari jaguar and let's hope the Schleich 2022 puma is nicer than those.

rogerpgvg wrote:
The turkey vulture indeed isn't the most handsome, but of course, I wouldn't mind having one either. The only 1:32 scale vulture I have is the Britains. No idea how large their vulture is, but thanks for pointing out Pech, it isn't a company I had heard of before, but it looks like they made some great figures.

You're welcome, they're not as accurate as Britains or even Starlux but they deserve some atention. I believe the best way to get them is through Ricardo. :)

spacelab

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 3:56 pm

Very useful felines comparison photo/
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 5:27 pm

spacelab wrote:
Very useful felines comparison photo/
I completely agree, I love the ocelot and jaguar! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 6:43 pm

These all look so nice, good sculpts with really nice paintjobs, you've chosen very nicely and it's interesting seeing the species all together like that.

I will not become a big cat collector, I will not become a big cat collector... Laughing

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 12:13 pm

Today a little comparison with my favorite kind of animals, anteaters. Laughing
Safari Aardvark and Schleich giant anteater.

George wrote:
These all look so nice, good sculpts with really nice paintjobs, you've chosen very nicely and it's interesting seeing the species all together like that.

I will not become a big cat collector, I will not become a big cat collector... Laughing

Laughing Are you reading old Susanne's topics? I also started with a few felines and a cheetah needs a gazelle, a lion needs a zebra, etc. Laughing

PostSubject: Re: Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands   Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Safari Ltd "standard" sized figures in comparison with others from major brands
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next