Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species identification topic

Go down 
+61
rogerpgvg
Leoo Past
Hippocollector
Shanti
George
Joliezac
Jill
75senta75
Stripedhyena
Birdsage
pipsxlch
Mitsukuni
Pepi
Roy-Swetsie
WILLYBACOMAN
Bonnie
Duck-Anch-Amun
endogenylove
costicuba
RtasVadumee
Steve170
Giulia
Advicot
spacelab
landrover
Caracal
Megaptera
Dutch Bear
Pardofelis
halichoeres
barracudacat
Jolinem
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
Logan'sArk
NightLioness
Silver Unicornis
jarda
sbell
arafan
Tarunyada
QuollMate
EmperorDinobot
Bonobo
widukind
elephas_maximus
Kikimalou
DaveScriv
LeeAnn
NandO
Roger
Dorkan
stef1000
Taos
Dr.Narayanan
krista
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Katty
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Species identification topic - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptySun Feb 21, 2021 11:54 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Certainly not cormorant-shaped, nor coloured. The sape is very good for a tropical pigeon. None matches exactly this colours but I think you can match it with some imperial pigeon or fruit dove.

Birdsage wrote:

This has the body shape of a falcon and the colors of some suboscine passerine.

Well, a mixture of falcon and imperial pigeon ... clever, but we are not saved scratch
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptySun Feb 21, 2021 11:56 pm

By “suboscine” I mean manakins, cotingas, tyrant flycatchers, pittas, etc.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptySun Feb 21, 2021 11:57 pm

The colors most closely match a blue manakin.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptySun Feb 21, 2021 11:59 pm

Could be some pitta in the coloration but mostly Blue Manakin.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 12:05 am

Yes but a manakin with a falcon shape.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 12:05 am

That is what I meant.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 12:06 am

I said that the COLORATION was a little pitta and mostly manakin. The shape is of a bird of prey.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 12:08 am

I wanted to added to TAW, since it is a vintage figure, I think it is safer to enter it as a generic falcon, even if no raptor has this kind of colors
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 12:09 am

You can enter it as a generic falcon.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 12:10 am

Alright Birdsage, I will do it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 12:10 am

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 12:13 am

And while you’re at it, identify the AAA Hawk as a Rough-legged Hawk.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 6:57 am

Why a Rough-legged buzzard instead of a common buzzard ? Rough-legged buzzard have feathers to the toes, I can't see them on the AAA hawk.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 2:28 pm

Some (even close) photos of this species I’ve seen don’t really show the foot feathers, and the less distinct pattern, heavy feathering, and gray color scheme seems closer to Rough-legged Buzzard/Hawk. Also, it is marked “Hawk”.  While this species is called Rough-legged Hawk in North America (where it does occur fairly commonly), the Common Buzzard (a species that has never been recorded in North America) is virtually never called or even considered a hawk anywhere (despite belonging to the same genus as various New World “hawks”, e.g. Red-tailed, Red-shouldered, etc.) except in articles describing the ambiguity of terms like “buzzard” and “hawk” to American audiences.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 6:45 pm

No, the figure don't have at all the shape of a falcon. It have the shape of a pigeon clearly. It's absolutely not a raptor.
The colours could match a Hooded Pitta vaguely, but basically not a blue mannakin ones.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 6:55 pm

Hmm. The head and the elongated, somewhat straight bill with a hooked tip could very well be from a pigeon, but the overall impression (long and lean, with very long, pointed wings) doesn’t match the plump, rounded shape of a pigeon or dove. The general pattern looks a little like that of a manakin, but you are right that the color hue is closer to a pitta of some sort. This just seems like a fantasy hybrid of imperial pigeon (head), falcon (body and wings), Blue Manakin, pitta, and perhaps some more, and marketed as a cormorant of all things.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 6:58 pm

One version of the Bullyland Peregrine Falcon looks more like a mislabeled Gyrfalcon.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Birdsage wrote:
Some (even close) photos of this species I’ve seen don’t really show the foot feathers, and the less distinct pattern, heavy feathering, and gray color scheme seems closer to Rough-legged Buzzard/Hawk. Also, it is marked “Hawk”.  While this species is called Rough-legged Hawk in North America (where it does occur fairly commonly), the Common Buzzard (a species that has never been recorded in North America) is virtually never called or even considered a hawk anywhere (despite belonging to the same genus as various New World “hawks”, e.g. Red-tailed, Red-shouldered, etc.) except in articles describing the ambiguity of terms like “buzzard” and “hawk” to American audiences.

This model isn't an American product, it was sold by Bullyland, there is no reason to think it is a buzzard of course, but it means it can't be a rough-legged hawk since for European people a rough-legged hawk is a buzzard.

Pardofelis wrote:
No, the figure don't have at all the shape of a falcon. It have the shape of a pigeon clearly. It's absolutely not a raptor.
The colours could match a Hooded Pitta vaguely, but basically not a blue mannakin ones.

Sincerely, it could also be a badly made magpie, this model is a vintage one soaccuracy is of course a bit so so

Last edited by Kikimalou on Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 pm

Are you getting confused? That’s about the AAA Hawk, not the Bullyland Falcon.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm

I didn’t know or think that the AAA Hawk was a Bullyland product.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 7:15 pm

I knew that Bullyland sold some AAA products, but not the birds.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 7:21 pm

Birdsage wrote:

Of course they sold the birds, they were known as Bullyland before AAA
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 7:33 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Birdsage wrote:

Of course they sold the birds, they were known as Bullyland before AAA

Sold by Bullyland as Fremdserie

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 7:52 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Birdsage wrote:

This model isn't an American product, it was sold by Bullyland, there is no reason to think it is a buzzard of course, but it means it can't be a rough-legged hawk since for European people a rough-legged hawk is a buzzard.

Just going by appearance, I thought that it had to be some sort of buteo. It can’t be any species Europeans call hawks, because it does not look like an accipiter.

If it was sold by Bullyland, a German company, you are right that it wouldn’t  make much sense for a buteo to be sold as a hawk, at least if it is a Eurasian species.

It was probably sold as a generic Accipitridae species, modeled after a Buteo species, but not sold as a buzzard. In that case, just call it whatever looks the closest to the figure.
Rough-legged Hawk/Buzzard is the best identification I can come up with.

Also, are you sure it was never officially sold in the US, at least after Bullyland discontinued it from their lines?
There is currently an eBay seller selling them from Alabama under the brand Mamejo Nature in mass numbers and new, along with the perched Brown Pelican, so there might’ve been some cases like that in brick-and-mortar stores in the US too.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 8:01 pm

I know that this is a buteo and not an accipiter because the figure is heavyset and broad-winged in shape, and it doesn’t have the gray or gray-brown countershading pattern that goshawks, sparrowhawks, and the Cooper’s and Sharp-shinned Hawks have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 20 Empty

Back to top Go down

Species identification topic
Page 20 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 37  Next