Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species identification topic

Go down 
+62
bmathison1972
rogerpgvg
Leoo Past
Hippocollector
Shanti
George
Joliezac
Jill
75senta75
Stripedhyena
Birdsage
pipsxlch
Mitsukuni
Pepi
Roy-Swetsie
WILLYBACOMAN
Bonnie
Duck-Anch-Amun
endogenylove
costicuba
RtasVadumee
Steve170
Giulia
Advicot
spacelab
landrover
Caracal
Megaptera
Dutch Bear
Pardofelis
halichoeres
barracudacat
Jolinem
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
Logan'sArk
NightLioness
Silver Unicornis
jarda
sbell
arafan
Tarunyada
QuollMate
EmperorDinobot
Bonobo
widukind
elephas_maximus
Kikimalou
DaveScriv
LeeAnn
NandO
Roger
Dorkan
stef1000
Taos
Dr.Narayanan
krista
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Katty
66 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 29 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

Species identification topic - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 8:01 pm

So it’s up to interpretation what species this is. I think it looks the most like a Rough-legged Hawk.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 10:30 pm

No, it neither have the body, wing and tail shape of a falcon. Of an eagle maybe, but not a falcon. However it have the body, wing and tail shape of some pigeon species. And many pigeons are not plump nor rounded. Sincerely is as similar to a hawk as is to a cormorant, ostrich or hummingbird. It may be used as other thing than pigeon (maybe some kind of fowl of passerine), but for sure never as a raptor.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 10:31 pm

Ok.
Good points.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 5:08 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Front of leaflet (Gymnothorax meleagris)

Back of leaflet

Photos of Gymnothorax prionodon

Photo of figure

The Yowies White-spot Moray Eel actually represents the Australian mottled moray, Gymnothorax prionodon, according to the leaflet.
The eel photo on the front of the leaflet is most likely of a Gymnothorax meleagris (white-mouth or turkey moray), but the figure’s color scheme more closely matches the photo of Gymnothorax prionodon. In that case, the ToyAnimal.info identification of Gymnothorax johnsoni (a little-known species with very few photos) is incorrect and should be changed to Australian mottled moray, Gymnothorax prionodon.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 am

Birdsage wrote:
Also, are you sure it was never officially sold in the US, at least after Bullyland discontinued it from their lines?
There is currently an eBay seller selling them from Alabama under the brand Mamejo Nature in mass numbers and new, along with the perched Brown Pelican, so there might’ve been some cases like that in brick-and-mortar stores in the US too.

I never said it was not sold in US, I said it was first appeared as a Bullyland, it only means that it was not made for the US market and we need to know this when we search for a species. US companies, like Marx or Safari Ltd made there models first for US market which is different from EU market. We must also remember this series was poorly painted. For example you identified the pelican as a Brown pelican and I would say it is a Peruvian one.

Birdsage wrote:
I know that this is a buteo and not an accipiter because the figure is heavyset and broad-winged in shape, and it doesn’t have the gray or gray-brown countershading pattern that goshawks, sparrowhawks, and the Cooper’s and Sharp-shinned Hawks have.

Again the painting is not a good indication since it isn't realistic. For me the most important point to determine if a buzzard is a rough-legged "hawk" is the rough leggs.

Birdsage wrote:
So it’s up to interpretation what species this is. I think it looks the most like a Rough-legged Hawk.

I understand. The good thing is we have a discussion about this Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 7:39 am

Pardofelis wrote:
No, it neither have the body, wing and tail shape of a falcon. Of an eagle maybe, but not a falcon. However it have the body, wing and tail shape of some pigeon species. And many pigeons are not plump nor rounded. Sincerely is as similar to a hawk as is to a cormorant, ostrich or hummingbird. It may be used as other thing than pigeon (maybe some kind of fowl of passerine), but for sure never as a raptor.

What uyou are saying is very clever Isidro.

My main problem is I think like a toy collector.

This model is a lead model, it is a CBG Mignot, a brand even older than Britains Ltd, it means it is probably an old model. The company provided Gorilla, elephant, leopard, lion, very common species. They also produced a few uncommon species like porcupine or Marabu stork, this one had different paintings, the last one was that Laughing :

So what chance a brand like CBG Mignot would made an Imperial pigeon ? Poor
What chance it would made an eagle ? More than a pigeon
What chance it made an odd painting ? At least conceivable to high

I will try to find how CBG officially called it and I will follow their choice to enter it on TAW. Then I will write your concusion about the species on the page. Is it fair ?
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 3:19 pm

The AAA Pelican is the Brown species, because it has a red lower bill pouch, not a blue one. Peruvian Pelicans don’t have a red pouch.
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 5:03 pm

Yes marabou colours are odd, but at least the bird have the shape of a marabou
Maybe the figure was intended to be an eagle after all, despite having a pigeon bill. The shape and proportions of the body and head, minus the bill, matches with a big eagle like golden eagle.
I think your solution is the best: put the figure on TAW according to what it was marketed. If it was marketed as a cormorant, cormorant has to be... Tough a cormorant is a somewhat obscure genus for a brand that only do ABC animals....

Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 5:05 pm

That’s what I was trying to say. I got the shape of a golden eagle confused with the Nayab falcon figure.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 7:08 pm

Birdsage wrote:
The AAA Pelican is the Brown species, because it has a red lower bill pouch, not a blue one. Peruvian Pelicans don’t have a red pouch.

And it has a Peruvian pelican neck, so maybe it's mother was brown and his father Peruvian. Birdsage, with this kind of models we often see what we want to notice. Maybe it could also be an Eastern brown pelican but he hasn't the black feet. I also remember some AAA perched pelican with a blueish lower bill pouch.

Pardofelis wrote:
Yes marabou colours are odd, but at least the bird have the shape of a marabou
Maybe the figure was intended to be an eagle after all, despite having a pigeon bill. The shape and proportions of the body and head, minus the bill, matches with a big eagle like golden eagle.
I think your solution is the best: put the figure on TAW according to what it was marketed. If it was marketed as a cormorant, cormorant has to be... Tough a cormorant is a somewhat obscure genus for a brand that only do ABC animals....

I agree, I think it is the seller who called it a cormorant Laughing
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2021 2:45 am

Clearly the Pelican isn’t an “eastern” because these have brown pouches.
It’s the California Brown Pelican that has the red pouch.
Anyway, none of them—California Brown, Eastern Brown, or Peruvian—have the same brown color of feet as the pole that the figure is standing on. Also, none of them have that weird purple and aqua sheen on the wings.
I looked at photos of Peruvian Pelicans and found that they never have bright red “gular” pouches. If there is a version of the figure with a blue gular pouch, it could be the only official Peruvian Pelican figure. If there are two forms, the figure can represent both species on ToyAnimal.Info. That is, if someone could put a picture of the other version on there.
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyWed Feb 24, 2021 2:46 am

Also, both species can have brown at the back of the neck, so that’s not necessarily a distinguishing feature.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptySat Feb 27, 2021 2:18 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
CBG Mignot bird, sold a a Cormorant... any idea ?

Wow, i dont see that. What is the material?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptySat Feb 27, 2021 3:32 pm

Lead
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptySat Feb 27, 2021 3:40 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Lead

Thanks

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptySat Feb 27, 2021 5:20 pm

This bird is marvellous. Applause Applause

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptySat Feb 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Thank you Fernando Very Happy It is a marvelous odd species bird Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 9:11 pm

Lineol Fur seal: What species ? What genus ? Callorhinus or Arctocephalus ?

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 10:56 pm

Arctocephalus. Callorhinus is unmistakable - with a very sharp nose and extremely long flippers.
Now the difficult part is to tell... which Arctocephalus?

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 11:00 pm

Isn't it the other way round, Pardo?
That short snout and abrupt forehead makes me think it is a Northern fur seal.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 12:07 am

I agree with Rogério for the nose and with Isidro for the flippers... scratch
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 7:34 am

This is the one I've photographed at New England aquarium. I would call this a sharp nose

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 8:03 am

Ok so a short sharp snout Laughing

I must say I would preferred it was a Northern seal because it would be easier to add it on TAW. scratch
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 8:57 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Lineol Fur seal: What species ? What genus ? Callorhinus or Arctocephalus ?

If you find out what specie was in the 20s or 30s at the Berlin zoo, you know it :)

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 11:21 am

Apparently Berlin zoo kept Cape fur seal (Arctocephalus pusillus pusillus) in 1929, if I interpret correctly this:

"Ehemalige Haltungen:
1929 bis mind. 1941;
vormalige Zucht zuletzt 1941
Welterstzucht 1939"

And it also kept Northern fur seal (Callorhinus ursinus) in 1933 if I interpret correctly this (I know zero of German language, sorry):

"1933 bis Ende 30er Jahre
2013 - 2017
keine Zucht"

So, we didn't solved nothing as Berlin zoo kept both species in the 30s!!! (and also Arctocephalus australis, but much later, in the 70s)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 21 Empty

Back to top Go down

Species identification topic
Page 21 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 29 ... 37  Next