Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species identification topic

Go down 
+62
bmathison1972
rogerpgvg
Leoo Past
Hippocollector
Shanti
George
Joliezac
Jill
75senta75
Stripedhyena
Birdsage
pipsxlch
Mitsukuni
Pepi
Roy-Swetsie
WILLYBACOMAN
Bonnie
Duck-Anch-Amun
endogenylove
costicuba
RtasVadumee
Steve170
Giulia
Advicot
spacelab
landrover
Caracal
Megaptera
Dutch Bear
Pardofelis
halichoeres
barracudacat
Jolinem
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
Logan'sArk
NightLioness
Silver Unicornis
jarda
sbell
arafan
Tarunyada
QuollMate
EmperorDinobot
Bonobo
widukind
elephas_maximus
Kikimalou
DaveScriv
LeeAnn
NandO
Roger
Dorkan
stef1000
Taos
Dr.Narayanan
krista
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Katty
66 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 29 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Species identification topic - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 8:53 am

That's a point and it is not useless to find a good match to this Lineol exactly because of what Andreas said.
I also keep in serious doubts, when I look to the animal I see a Northern fur seal, it has even the shallow and pointy snout they describe. Sounds like a paradoxal description but it is not. Though, as Isidro pointed, hind flippers are really the most important factor to determine the difference between both genera. Unless I am not interpreting correctly the pose of the animal, back flippers look really too short for a Northern fur seal. Laughing I think Yvette or Robert know probably from which exact specimen this figure was sculpted.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 1:35 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Apparently Berlin zoo kept Cape fur seal (Arctocephalus pusillus pusillus) in 1929, if I interpret correctly this:

"Ehemalige Haltungen:
1929 bis mind. 1941;
vormalige Zucht zuletzt 1941
Welterstzucht 1939"

And it also kept Northern fur seal (Callorhinus ursinus) in 1933 if I interpret correctly this (I know zero of German language, sorry):

"1933 bis Ende 30er Jahre
2013 - 2017
keine Zucht"

So, we didn't solved nothing as Berlin zoo kept both species in the 30s!!! (and also Arctocephalus australis, but much later, in the 70s)

Roger wrote:
That's a point and it is not useless to find a good match to this Lineol exactly because of what Andreas said.
I also keep in serious doubts, when I look to the animal I see a Northern fur seal, it has even the shallow and pointy snout they describe. Sounds like a paradoxal description but it is not. Though, as Isidro pointed, hind flippers are really the most important factor to determine the difference between both genera. Unless I am not interpreting correctly the pose of the animal, back flippers look really too short for a Northern fur seal. Laughing I think Yvette or Robert know probably from which exact specimen this figure was sculpted.

The model was first produced in 1940. What was the Fur seals in Berlin zoo then ? As I can see on Isidro reply, it could be the Cape fur seal.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySun Mar 21, 2021 9:58 am

Banteng or badly painted Gaur ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySun Mar 21, 2021 10:10 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Banteng or badly painted Gaur ?

More Banteng i think. But what brand?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySun Mar 21, 2021 12:43 pm

I guess it is a Jecsan
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySun Mar 21, 2021 12:54 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I guess it is a Jecsan

Thanks

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Stripedhyena

Stripedhyena

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySun Mar 21, 2021 2:38 pm

The brand's catalog is listed as zebu
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySun Mar 21, 2021 3:45 pm

Stripedhyena wrote:
The brand's catalog is listed as zebu

I'm not surprised even if it hasn't a zebu bump and has Banteng's hairdress.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySun Mar 21, 2021 4:11 pm

This is what happens when you cross a zebu with a banteng. Madura cattle, also known as dancing cattle. Laughing

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2021 3:00 pm

What breed is this dog?

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2021 11:36 pm

I would guess it is a generic dog, a mixed breed. Nothing seems to fit any breed exactly.

Maybe an aurochs? Weird anyhow. Thrift store lot find.
Back to top Go down
sbell

sbell

Country/State : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2021 11:45 pm

pipsxlch wrote:
I would guess it is a generic dog, a mixed breed. Nothing seems to fit any breed exactly.

Maybe an aurochs? Weird anyhow. Thrift store lot find.

Aurochs or prehistoric bison.
Back to top Go down
http://faunafigures.com/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2021 1:20 am

I would say it looks something like a bison latifrans. Really great catch! I have gotten to get up close and personal to some of these specimens. Must have been magnificent animals indeed. Would love for Safari to make one. 

Roger, I'd say "mutt" or mixed breed too. Very cute and fluffy but no definite breed characteristics.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous

Last edited by Saarlooswolfhound on Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
halichoeres

halichoeres

Country/State : Illinois, USA

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2021 1:23 pm

That's a really interesting little bovid! The snout looks a little like a takin, but I agree it's probably supposed to be one of the extinct bison.

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptyTue Mar 23, 2021 6:20 pm

Thank you! I couldn't find a white dog that looks like that, so a mixed breed makes sense.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2021 6:48 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Thank you! I couldn't find a white dog that looks like that, so a mixed breed makes sense.
Such a gorgeous little playful dog, and yes I would guess mixed breed too! Very Happy
Do you know the brand/ age of the model? What country it was produced in? That might give a clue as to the dog's breed! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 7:32 pm

What kind of Terrier it is ?

Back to top Go down
75senta75

75senta75

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptyFri Mar 26, 2021 7:44 pm

Perhaps it could be an Cairn terrier ?

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 5:35 am

What a wonderful little dog!!! sunny
When I saw him I immediately thought Sealyham Terrier- colouring and shape are very similar! Very Happy But then it could be an attempt at a white Scottish Terrier, although the ears aren't quite right for this breed- it probably depends on when this model was made, and by what brand! But I think I would say Sealyham, hope this helps! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 5:43 am

Bonnie wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:
Such a gorgeous little playful dog, and yes I would guess mixed breed too! Very Happy
Do you know the brand/ age of the model? What country it was produced in? That might give a clue as to the dog's breed! Very Happy

It was made by Britains between 1970 and 1974.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 5:46 am

For such an ignorant about dogs as I am it is amazing how complex this subject can be.
I am limited to my pop culture and I immediately thought it was Milu, Tintin's dog. Laughing A Fox Terrier. Only recently I've found that there are several similar Terrier breeds.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 6:02 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Bonnie wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:

Thanks for the information! Yes I think mixed breed dog fits best! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 6:04 am

Roger wrote:
For such an ignorant about dogs as I am it is amazing how complex this subject can be.
I am limited to my pop culture and I immediately thought it was Milu, Tintin's dog. Laughing A Fox Terrier. Only recently I've found that there are several similar Terrier breeds.
Oh yes, it could easily be this too! I find that even if a model looks more like one breed, it could have been made with the intention of being another- sometimes brands seem to do this! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 6:20 am

Bonnie wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:
Bonnie wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:

It is a monochromatic Vitaculp model.

I searched for Britains and I only found this very old lead figure.
Is Roger refering to the plastic version of this model?

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 10:19 am

Roger wrote:
Bonnie wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:
Bonnie wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:

It is a monochromatic Vitaculp model.

I searched for Britains and I only found this very old lead figure.
Is Roger refering to the plastic version of this model?
Thank you so much for the link! Very Happy I think looking at the date of this figure it must almost definitely be a Sealyham as they had a surge of popularity around this time, being owned by many famous people! Very Happy Sadly now though this terrier is a vulnerable native breed here, after being so popular it seems that recently it has become more of a rarity to see in daily life. Crying or Very sad
And Roger is referring to the little white dog on the Britains model of the boy throwing the stick! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 22 Empty

Back to top Go down

Species identification topic
Page 22 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 29 ... 37  Next