Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species identification topic

Go down 
+62
bmathison1972
rogerpgvg
Leoo Past
Hippocollector
Shanti
George
Joliezac
Jill
75senta75
Stripedhyena
Birdsage
pipsxlch
Mitsukuni
Pepi
Roy-Swetsie
WILLYBACOMAN
Bonnie
Duck-Anch-Amun
endogenylove
costicuba
RtasVadumee
Steve170
Giulia
Advicot
spacelab
landrover
Caracal
Megaptera
Dutch Bear
Pardofelis
halichoeres
barracudacat
Jolinem
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
Logan'sArk
NightLioness
Silver Unicornis
jarda
sbell
arafan
Tarunyada
QuollMate
EmperorDinobot
Bonobo
widukind
elephas_maximus
Kikimalou
DaveScriv
LeeAnn
NandO
Roger
Dorkan
stef1000
Taos
Dr.Narayanan
krista
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Katty
66 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 33 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Species identification topic - Page 29 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptySat Nov 05, 2022 5:33 am

Roger wrote:
Maybe it is too optimistic to find a speciies but probably something close to a Porbeagle .

A clever choice indeed Applause

It could at least be from the family Lamnidae and among them the best choice is the Portbeagle.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptySat Nov 05, 2022 2:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] gave me this picture to put on TAW as one of the Nayab 24 assorted wild birds.
This figure is commonly identified among us as a goose but is it really a goose? It looks so weird to me.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Kikimalou wrote:

It could at least be from the family Lamnidae and among them the best choice is the Portbeagle.

Actually it was exactly what I thought, the first thing I noticed was the crescent shaped tail typical of the Lamnidae  family. Then, among all choices and considering it is a creature which can be found in Spanish waters, that was my choice but it is just an approach. Not everything matches.
Also, if I'm counting correctly, the figure shows 6 pairs of gills instead of 5 what is a typical feature of Hexanchidae but I don't know a single cow shark which ressembles this model.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptySat Nov 05, 2022 6:12 pm

I've found a post where Adam identifies the bird above as a finfoot, what do you think?

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptySat Nov 05, 2022 6:54 pm

Roger wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

Actually it was exactly what I thought, the first thing I noticed was the crescent shaped tail typical of the Lamnidae  family. Then, among all choices and considering it is a creature which can be found in Spanish waters, that was my choice but it is just an approach. Not everything matches.
Also, if I'm counting correctly, the figure shows 6 pairs of gills instead of 5 what is a typical feature of Hexanchidae but I don't know a single cow shark which ressembles this model.

The Acuarama series is from 1969 and the fishes are painted copies of the Marx Sea life series, I don't think there is a link with Spanish waters.

Roger wrote:
I've found a post where Adam identifies the bird above as a finfoot, what do you think?

It is again a clever choice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptySat Nov 05, 2022 7:55 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

The Acuarama series is from 1969 and the fishes are painted copies of the Marx Sea life series, I don't think there is a link with Spanish waters.

They're present in North American waters too. Wink
It is very interesting, I checked the Marx Shark and they're defintely brothers. Very Happy
OK, since we agree with the finfoot, it is now relisted on TAW as one.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2022 8:15 pm

I was looking at my Nayab falcon, the colours don't match for a Peregrine, for me it looks more like and Eleonora's falcon.

Last edited by Kikimalou on Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2022 9:26 pm

I have no objection about that, we tend to identify all these figures as pergrine falcons since there are many subspecies and I am sure you can find one close to this model. It is also by far the most popular falcon in toy shape. Though, I believe the leaner body and the fact these Nayab always deserve a second thought, allow us to consider other species. Willy use to identify his model as an African hobby. that is very similar too.
Those figures were inspired in some animal gravures, maybe someone has the book with the falcon. I remember the hog and ibex having draws matching the figures.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyWed Nov 09, 2022 6:01 pm

I have the book ith the Ibex and Giant forest hog and there isn't any pic that look like the Nayab falcon alas.
I have also a book full of drawings about all the diurnal raptors and one thing is sure for me the Nayab isn't a Peregrine.

I can find three competitors, the African hobby, the Orange-breasted falcon and the Eleonora's falcon.

I don't think this bird is an African hobby, it is smaller than the other two and should look bulkier.

The Eleonora's falcon and Orange-breasted falcon seem more acceptable to me even though none match completely with our Nayab.

I opened an Unidentified falcons section in the Falconidae pages and I must say the Nayab is even not alone now Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyThu Nov 10, 2022 3:05 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I have the book ith the Ibex and Giant forest hog and there isn't any pic that look like the Nayab falcon alas.
I have also a book full of drawings about all the diurnal raptors and one thing is sure for me the Nayab isn't a Peregrine.

I can find three competitors, the African hobby, the Orange-breasted falcon and the Eleonora's falcon.

I don't think this bird is an African hobby, it is smaller than the other two and should look bulkier.

The Eleonora's falcon and Orange-breasted falcon seem more acceptable to me even though none match completely with our Nayab.

I opened an Unidentified falcons section in the Falconidae pages and I must say the Nayab is even not alone now Wink

I agree completely that the Nayab model looks much more like a hobby than a peregrine. My only objection is that the wings of most hobby, namely the Eleonora's have very long and pointy wings and even when folded, they extend over the tail or at least at an equal point. I complemented your TAW job removing the word Peregrine from the figure page because as far as I know, it was never marketed as a peregrine. Unididentified falcon sounds the best option for now although I'm convinced it was made after a certain species. Some of the peregrine falcons on TAW are optimistic identifications and I'm not even sure the AAA unidentified falcon model is a falcon at all. I will check how Bully marketed it.

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2022 9:27 pm

A Nayab figure that I can't find on TAW:

What species is it?

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyFri Nov 11, 2022 9:47 pm

Isn't yours the one in front of the squirrel on set [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]?

us bank atm locations

Looks a small version of the otter civet but those toes look different

This is one of the large ones.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptySun Nov 13, 2022 5:49 pm

Thanks. Yes, it looks like the animal in the centre of set 166. Ah, an otter civet.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptySun Nov 13, 2022 5:57 pm

I think it is the best choice
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptySun Nov 13, 2022 10:07 pm

Thanks to you both for confirming. We still miss a lot of figures of these smaller models on TAW. I have seen some of them on forum, namely the weird wild cat but sometimes it is hard to be sure to which exact series each figure belongs because some are very similar to the other set, only slightly smaller.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2022 7:07 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
A Nayab figure that I can't find on TAW:

What species is it?

I like it very much, what size please ? Head and Body and height at shoulders if it is possible
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2022 8:21 pm

You can have it. It's in a different place from where I am now, but I think it is about 6 cm in total length, including tail. I can measure it more precisely when I am back.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2022 8:29 pm

Thank you Roger, I can wait Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2022 8:36 pm

Using the Lego brick method, it gives me around 2,5 inches which is about 6 cm.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2022 8:39 pm

Roger wrote:

I asked for height at shoulders and Head & body lenght Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2022 10:50 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:

I asked for height at shoulders and Head & body lenght Laughing

Laughing So it is better to wait for Roger's precise measurements. If the measurements I've found for a real otter civet are correct, this figure has a very long tail. affraid Maybe we will need to find a better species match. The extralarge version which I believe this one corresponds is marked "Suncus murinus" which is the scientific name of the house shrew. Laughing These Nayab figures are so funny.

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2022 7:54 pm

Can anyone help me to identify these fish? My knowledge of fish taxonomy is very limited... I'm not sure what brand they are either. I thought they were part of the Animal Planet coral reef fish case but they are not. I'm not sure if they are even on TAW because I'm unsure of their species. They could be random knockoff fish I'm really not sure  Laughing

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2022 3:35 pm

I wished I could help but fish are still a big mistery to me. I hope Kelly, Sean or someone more identified with this kind of animals can help you.
The first one, for instance, reminds me a tiger perch but I can't find one with a convincing shape match.

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2022 3:46 pm

Roger wrote:
I wished I could help but fish are still a big mistery to me. I hope Kelly, Sean or someone more identified with this kind of animals can help you.
The first one, for instance, reminds me a tiger perch but I can't find one with a convincing shape match.

Thank you! I've been working on my personal animal website and I'm trying to organize everything by general taxonomy, so I'm slowly learning study

Even if I can only figure out their order and family that would be a big help because right now I don't even know what category to put them in Laughing

And you're right the first one does look quite like a tiger perch in color but no so much shape.. Maybe I will try to look at images of similar species

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2022 3:50 pm

Joliezac wrote:
Roger wrote:

Thank you! I've been working on my personal animal website and I'm trying to organize everything by general taxonomy, so I'm slowly learning study

Even if I can only figure out their order and family that would be a big help because right now I don't even know what category to put them in Laughing

And you're right the first one does look quite like a tiger perch in color but no so much shape.. Maybe I will try to look at images of similar species

I am creating a taxonomic checklist of my collection; I can share it with you when I am done. If interested, PM me your email address. I have just started the chordates so it will be a while LOL
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2022 8:47 pm

Does anyone know if this mini mustelid belongs to any of the Nayab sets above or other? I can't find it in any catalogue page. If you know the best speciies match, it would be great to help me entering it on TAW.

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 29 Empty

Back to top Go down

Species identification topic
Page 29 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 33 ... 37  Next