Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species identification topic

Go down 
+62
bmathison1972
rogerpgvg
Leoo Past
Hippocollector
Shanti
George
Joliezac
Jill
75senta75
Stripedhyena
Birdsage
pipsxlch
Mitsukuni
Pepi
Roy-Swetsie
WILLYBACOMAN
Bonnie
Duck-Anch-Amun
endogenylove
costicuba
RtasVadumee
Steve170
Giulia
Advicot
spacelab
landrover
Caracal
Megaptera
Dutch Bear
Pardofelis
halichoeres
barracudacat
Jolinem
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
Logan'sArk
NightLioness
Silver Unicornis
jarda
sbell
arafan
Tarunyada
QuollMate
EmperorDinobot
Bonobo
widukind
elephas_maximus
Kikimalou
DaveScriv
LeeAnn
NandO
Roger
Dorkan
stef1000
Taos
Dr.Narayanan
krista
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Katty
66 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 33 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Species identification topic - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2022 8:19 pm

While noone finds the right set to place the mustelid on TAW. Now I am trying my luck with the species identification of this Nayab horned/eared owl. Any close match?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

@Babdo's picture

It doesn't match one but is it acceptable for a great horned owl which is a popular species or should I just keep it generic.?

Picture externally linked.

Last edited by Roger on Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
endogenylove

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2022 9:38 pm

I would suggest keeping it generic, since there are many species of "horned" owls out there that this could be

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyFri Nov 18, 2022 10:20 pm

endogenylove wrote:
I would suggest keeping it generic, since there are many species of "horned" owls out there that this could be
Thanks London, I will keep it generic, I even forgot eared and horned owls belong to different genera.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptySun Nov 20, 2022 12:36 pm

It may look silly but I was checking the chipmunks on TAW and while observing this cute one by K&M, I noticed it does not have the facial strips of a chipmunk. When they don't have facial strips, they're likely (other) ground squirrels.
This one is from the American Garden tube and we never had an official list of the species.
I suspect I'm being optimistic but I wanted to share it and get your feedback if possible.

Here a picture of a golden-mantled ground squirrel just as an example.

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptySun Nov 20, 2022 12:45 pm

It could be an Antelope ground squirrel, an Eastern chipmunk... hard to tell
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 9:40 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
It could be an Antelope ground squirrel, an Eastern chipmunk... hard to tell

Thanks Christophe, I'll keep it as a chipmunk, all those small rodents are popularly called chipmunks even when they're not.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptySat Nov 26, 2022 6:39 pm

Prior macaque... I would go for a Japanese macaque because the tail is perfect for the species, too small for a Rhesus and too big for a Barbary macaque

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 11:02 pm

No! Do you want us to identify your own relatives? affraid
Isn't it inspired by the old Elastolin barbary one, mirrored perhaps?
Though, I agree the tail is probably long even for a male barbary macaque.

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2022 1:08 pm

Roger wrote:
It may look silly but I was checking the chipmunks on TAW and while observing this cute one by K&M, I noticed it does not have the facial strips of a chipmunk. When they don't have facial strips, they're likely (other) ground squirrels.
This one is from the American Garden tube and we never had an official list of the species.
I suspect I'm being optimistic but I wanted to share it and get your feedback if possible.

Here a picture of a golden-mantled ground squirrel just as an example.

it's an eastern chipmunk. It's for an American garden tube, there is really no other option
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyMon Nov 28, 2022 2:27 pm

[quote author=bmathison1972 link=msg=33187 date=1654385691]
I have started an attempt to ID the small PV shells (the black cowrie will be sent later). Here is what I have come up with so far. Comments, corrections, etc. welcome:

Mini PV shells, left to right, top to bottom:

1. purple drupe, Drupa morum
2. Gyrineum perca
3. snakeskin nerite, Nerita exuvia
4. perspective sundail shell, Architectonica perspectiva
5. hailstorm prickly-winkle, Tectarius grandinatus
6. dusky cone shell, Conasprella stearnsii
7. black-striped triton, Septa hepatica
8. variable conch, Dolomena variabilis
10. Cancilla heinickei
11. sieve cowrie, Cribrarula cribraria
12. daybreak cowrie, Palmadusta diluculum (not shown)

[url="https://postimg.cc/hhtnhSbx"][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]
[/quote]

Think I might have a name for number 9: Turris crispa or T. cristata (T. cristata now technically in Purpuraturris). At least Turris seems like a good start. I also considered Terricula and Gemmula, but leaning more towards Turris. I will check other genera in the family, too!
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyTue Nov 29, 2022 1:21 am

More on shell number 9 above; I am certain now it's getus Turris. I found a revision of the genus: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and while T. crispa is still a good idea, I am going with the type, T. babylonia. The shape of the aperture and the notch in the aperture best fits this species (not visible in the pic above, however)
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2022 8:32 am

Roger wrote:
While noone finds the right set to place the mustelid on TAW. Now I am trying my luck with the species identification of this Nayab horned/eared owl. Any close match?

@Babdo's picture

It doesn't match one but is it acceptable for a great horned owl which is a popular species or should I just keep it generic.?

Picture externally linked.

Sorry for the late reply, but I had this figure in my identification thread, too:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pardo also said, that it´s a generic model of the genus Bubo, although I will use it in my collection on the species level (have to look what I chosed). But for TAI, I think unidentified Bubo will work.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyThu Dec 01, 2022 1:07 pm

Thanks for your tips to the chipmunk and owl. The chipmunk is probably result of the simplistic painting because it does not look like an Eastern chipmunk to me but I'm convinced it was what Wild Republic wanted to represent. The owl is being listed as a generic owl. Very Happy

Leoo Past

Country/State : México

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 8:47 pm

Hello friends, a question they tell me that this is a banteng but I don't know if it is a type of domestic cow or an ox help please [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyTue Dec 13, 2022 10:13 pm

Looks more like a domestic cow judging by the painting,which is line back or finching which leads to the animal being colour sided.Banteng are not coloured like this,the have white legs /stockings and a white rump patch.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2022 8:33 am

The horns and the top of the head could look like Banteng's ones but the similarities end there.
Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2022 8:43 am

Sisi is that how they sell it to me and the person tells me that it is a banteng I had my doubts before buying it
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptySun Dec 18, 2022 7:48 pm

Would you know this Toy Major lizard species please?

legs are moveable

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2022 9:17 am

a day gecko?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2022 12:53 pm

I tend to agree with Andreas. By the way, I think the Madagascar day gecko page on TAW needs a split since Phelsuma grandis, the Madagascar giant day gecko is now considered a full species distinct from Phelsuma madagarensis.
Anyone confortable with geckos? Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2022 9:41 pm

It could be a Wellington green gecko, a Golden bay starred gecko, a Bay of islands Northland green gecko or something like that.

I opened the Phelsuma grandis page Wink
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2022 10:58 pm

So I have the choice! Very Happy many thanks to you three Andreas, Rogério and Christophe!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2022 6:51 pm

Puma or Jaguarundi?

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2022 6:58 pm

Honestly, I think that would make a very nice jaguarundi! Not sure if that was intended, but the small head, ear shape, color, and facial expressions are spot-on!!! Who made it?
Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2022 7:08 pm

widukind wrote:
Puma or Jaguarundi?

I want the puma I offer you what you want and for how much
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 30 Empty

Back to top Go down

Species identification topic
Page 30 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 33 ... 37  Next