Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species identification topic

Go down 
+62
bmathison1972
rogerpgvg
Leoo Past
Hippocollector
Shanti
George
Joliezac
Jill
75senta75
Stripedhyena
Birdsage
pipsxlch
Mitsukuni
Pepi
Roy-Swetsie
WILLYBACOMAN
Bonnie
Duck-Anch-Amun
endogenylove
costicuba
RtasVadumee
Steve170
Giulia
Advicot
spacelab
landrover
Caracal
Megaptera
Dutch Bear
Pardofelis
halichoeres
barracudacat
Jolinem
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
Logan'sArk
NightLioness
Silver Unicornis
jarda
sbell
arafan
Tarunyada
QuollMate
EmperorDinobot
Bonobo
widukind
elephas_maximus
Kikimalou
DaveScriv
LeeAnn
NandO
Roger
Dorkan
stef1000
Taos
Dr.Narayanan
krista
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Katty
66 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

Species identification topic - Page 27 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2022 7:33 am

For me they're all cheetahs, but the second one has the body, legs and tail of a cheetah but the head of a leopard, I would consider it just as a badly done cheetah

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyTue Aug 23, 2022 9:37 am

OK thank you Blaine and Pardo! The facial marks of the TM ones are the ones of cheeta but its long body and rather short legs make me think to a leopard and moreover, I saw a black version on Ebay.. :)

Last edited by Caracal on Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2022 8:31 pm

It is hard to tell but first ones are probably leopards, 2nd ones are jaguars, remaining ones are cheetahs.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyMon Aug 29, 2022 10:45 pm

OK Thank you Rogério! :)
Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

Country/State : México

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptySun Sep 18, 2022 5:54 am

I have this little bovine and because of the arc-shaped horns the body and the horns according to me is a water buffalo [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptySun Sep 18, 2022 2:01 pm

Yes, it is an Asian water buffalo, it is not an African buffalo for sure. Does it have a brand?

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2022 4:29 pm

Yes,would agree with Roger,Asian Water buffalo.

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2022 5:40 pm

So cute!
Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2022 11:48 am

if in fact it is so small that it has the letter E marked under it as there are other animals like that
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2022 6:39 pm

Does anyone know what species these birds are? Perhaps the flying bird is a stork (with the wrong colours)? And the standing bird? Some kind of crane?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2022 7:01 pm

The standing one looks like an egret, maybe an European little egret, the nigris subspecies.
I believe the curved neck of the flying bird together with a relatively short bill, intends to represent a heron but those birds are not easy to identify for a non expert like me.
Do they have a brand?

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2022 10:32 pm

Thanks, Rogério. I think someone on the forum said that they are Nayab. It might have been you Wink

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2022 10:57 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Thanks, Rogério. I think someone on the forum said that they are Nayab. It might have been you Wink

OK, so they might be these Nayab ones.
Translating this chart, the flying one is an egret while the standing one is a crane.

Stripedhyena

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2022 10:57 pm

They are a common spoonbill and a white ibis. The ibis is a mold of a mold of a mold... of the scarlet ibis from Club Earth.
Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2022 11:00 pm

I have seen them in blister packs in stationery stores and let's say they are from the company of miniature animals
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2022 11:49 pm

Stripedhyena wrote:
They are a common spoonbill and a white ibis. The ibis is a mold of a mold of a mold... of the scarlet ibis from Club Earth.

Ricardo, I've never had these birds in my hands but from this angle it is impossible to see the typical spoon-shaped bill of a spoonbill. If the bill is spoon like, it is certainly a common spoonbill. Though, the flying model does not have a downcurved bill typical of an ibis. Are those your identifications or do you know it from some source?

Stripedhyena

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2022 11:32 am

I have both figures (the spoonbill from above has the spoonbill beak and the typical crest of the European white one). But we can't ask Nayab or similar brands for Papo's loyalty...
Regarding the ibis I have several figures of this same mold but it happens that being, in this case, a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy... has lost its original imprint, It has become very deformed (the mold in which it is inspired is the scarlet ibis of Club E.)
In fact, there are several "Made in Hong Kong" bird packs containing copies (more or less fortunately reproduced) of the Club Earth bird set.
I'm 100% sure of all this because, after hyenas, the flamingo-pelican-spoonbill-ibis quartet are my favorite animals (well, ok... antelopes, mandrills, wild pigs are also my weakness XD). And of this ibis and other birds in the set there are many copies in different sizes, rubber stiffness and paint... but curiously the scarlet ibis from CE has always been reproduced in white...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2022 11:46 am

Stripedhyena wrote:
I have both figures (the spoonbill from above has the spoonbill beak and the typical crest of the European white one). But we can't ask Nayab or similar brands for Papo's loyalty...
Regarding the ibis I have several figures of this same mold but it happens that being, in this case, a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy... has lost its original imprint, It has become very deformed (the mold in which it is inspired is the scarlet ibis of Club E.)
In fact, there are several "Made in Hong Kong" bird packs containing copies (more or less fortunately reproduced) of the Club Earth bird set.
I'm 100% sure of all this because, after hyenas, the flamingo-pelican-spoonbill-ibis quartet are my favorite animals. And of this ibis and other birds in the set there are many copies in different sizes, rubber stiffness and paint... but curiously the scarlet ibis from CE has always been reproduced in white...

Thanks Ricardo, those explanations and a historical context are really important.
If I had seen the spoon shaped bill, it would surely facilitate the identification and it turns evident it is a common spoonbill.
Ibis I'd never guess but it is interesting that you know the story of this mold and how distorted it resulted at a point it doesn't look like one at all and it is marketed as an egret. Surely Nayab or whatever it is, is known for mislabeling their models.
We have the white stork from the Realistic series which was marketed as a Siberian crane. Do you remember how Del Prado marketed it?

Stripedhyena

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2022 12:38 pm

The thing is that actually if you put next to the Club Earth ibis the rest of the copies are clearly visible. There are also copies of the macaws, the brown pelican, the puffin, the cockatoo and the kingfisher.
Unfortunately, as I have commented on other occasions, my collection is largely packed in such a way that it is not easy for me to reunite all these figures but when I do a more exhaustive work of organization, I will certainly do it and you will see clearly what I comment.
About the spoonbill, there is another model of Nayab very similar but with variants in the pose (also in the size, which is slightly different).
The DelPrado’s flying stork, which I understand is the one you are referring to, was sold as a stork. I believe that in that model there was no possible doubt neither in the morphology nor in the color (it does not happen the same with the wildboar vs hilochere/African forest wildboar).
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2022 1:07 pm

Stripedhyena wrote:
The thing is that actually if you put next to the Club Earth ibis the rest of the copies are clearly visible. There are also copies of the macaws, the brown pelican, the puffin, the cockatoo and the kingfisher.
Unfortunately, as I have commented on other occasions, my collection is largely packed in such a way that it is not easy for me to reunite all these figures but when I do a more exhaustive work of organization, I will certainly do it and you will see clearly what I comment.
About the spoonbill, there is another model of Nayab very similar but with variants in the pose (also in the size, which is slightly different).
The DelPrado’s flying stork, which I understand is the one you are referring to, was sold as a stork. I believe that in that model there was no possible doubt neither in the morphology nor in the color (it does not happen the same with the wildboar vs hilochere/African forest wildboar).

Yes, I mean this stork. It was always accepted here as a stork and we assumed the Nayab's catalogue identification as a Siberian crane as a mistake.
About the boar, I confess I was initially quite skeptical when it was identified as a Forest hog and I thought it was just a poor representation as a wild boar but the evidences convinced me later that it might really be a forest hog. One of the nice things of collecting in a community since I traded my model initially and later I found another one through a trade since we don't have other species representative.

Stripedhyena

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2022 2:55 pm

It is a pity that no brand has released a giant African forest boar.... Someday, I hope, Papo or CollectA will dare... I really hope so!
I can't accept the DelPrado wild boar as such, I like this animal too much to give up haha....
At the moment I have the wonderful piece made by Joan Milelire (Bestiari Models) and the curious handmade model by Kerapolin... Who will surely make one in the future is my compatriot Nepaim Hesev Divarsity.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2022 5:21 pm

Roger wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:

OK, so they might be these Nayab ones.
Translating this chart, the flying one is an egret while the standing one is a crane.

My birds are very similar, but not 100% the same. It looks like the standing bird in the picture above has indeed a spoon-like bill (or at least it seems somewhat flat), but mine doesn't have that at all and its legs are positioned differently. The flying bird looks even more similar, but I believe the neck is shaped slightly differently.

Sounds like they are very bad copies and I can't use them as any real species. Thank you both for your help though, it's useful for me to know.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2022 7:34 pm

Roger, you are right, figures are different, especially the standing one. I should have noticed it. The fact they're not accurate does not mean you can't use them in your collection. You can always choose a species which ressembles the model, I only doubt it will work for 1:32 scale.

Stripedhyena wrote:
It is a pity that no brand has released a giant African forest boar.... Someday, I hope, Papo or CollectA will dare... I really hope so!
I can't accept the DelPrado wild boar as such, I like this animal too much to give up haha....
At the moment I have the wonderful piece made by Joan Milelire (Bestiari Models) and the curious handmade model by Kerapolin... Who will surely make one in the future is my compatriot Nepaim Hesev Divarsity.

Those resin models belong to a different league. Laughing

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Identifying species of the K&M frog tube   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyFri Sep 23, 2022 9:07 pm

Roger wrote:
Roger, you are right, figures are different, especially the standing one. I should have noticed it. The fact they're not accurate does not mean you can't use them in your collection. You can always choose a species which ressembles the model, I only doubt it will work for 1:32 scale

Yes, but they don't seem to look like any species, they seem like a cross-breed of several species.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2022 12:52 pm

Who could help please?.. it's from Toy Major.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 27 Empty

Back to top Go down

Species identification topic
Page 27 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32 ... 37  Next