Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species identification topic

Go down 
+62
bmathison1972
rogerpgvg
Leoo Past
Hippocollector
Shanti
George
Joliezac
Jill
75senta75
Stripedhyena
Birdsage
pipsxlch
Mitsukuni
Pepi
Roy-Swetsie
WILLYBACOMAN
Bonnie
Duck-Anch-Amun
endogenylove
costicuba
RtasVadumee
Steve170
Giulia
Advicot
spacelab
landrover
Caracal
Megaptera
Dutch Bear
Pardofelis
halichoeres
barracudacat
Jolinem
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
Logan'sArk
NightLioness
Silver Unicornis
jarda
sbell
arafan
Tarunyada
QuollMate
EmperorDinobot
Bonobo
widukind
elephas_maximus
Kikimalou
DaveScriv
LeeAnn
NandO
Roger
Dorkan
stef1000
Taos
Dr.Narayanan
krista
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Katty
66 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

Country/State : México

Species identification topic - Page 32 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptySat Feb 04, 2023 10:52 pm

widukind wrote:
Leoo Past wrote:
widukind wrote:
Leoo Past wrote:
One question, is this the same one that Andreas has? 🤔[

You have the black panther in that style?
is the one that is roaring and says c6??

This one

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
yes yes I have everything black and so what's up you don't sell me or change the one you published?
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptySun Feb 05, 2023 5:29 pm

Leoo Past wrote:
widukind wrote:
Leoo Past wrote:
widukind wrote:
Leoo Past wrote:
One question, is this the same one that Andreas has? 🤔[

You have the black panther in that style?
is the one that is roaring and says c6??

This one

yes yes I have everything black and so what's up you don't sell me or change the one you published?

I change not my mind

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2023 12:14 pm

We now have one identification species for this wild cat!.. and it is.. a leopard cat!.. in spite of its inacurate too sharp ears.. :)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2023 12:46 pm

Caracal wrote:

We now have one identification species for this wild cat!.. and it is.. a leopard cat!.. in spite of its inacurate too sharp ears..  :)

It's a Frankenkittie! It's a lynx with a too long of a tail!
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2023 12:56 pm

..as a result maybe but not in the intention.

Last edited by Caracal on Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2023 1:12 pm

Caracal wrote:
.. in the result maybe but not in intention!

Actually it probably was unknowingly intentional. These generic bin toys probably didn't go through much in the way of scientific QC; they were pumping out toys for a quick sale and not paying attention to sculpt, proportions, and paint.

Sometimes I think people overthink the 'intentions' of the manufacturer and try to make a toy more than it really is.

Last edited by bmathison1972 on Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2023 1:15 pm

Yes Alain, it is just a lynx with a very long tail. Nayab minis always have corresponding larger models so this one only can be a lynx.
Though, it is always good to remember that brands like Nayab produce for many companies and sometimes the ambiguousness of their models is not innocent. It allows them to be used as other species whenever a customer company asks for it. Using one of the lynxes with a longer tail will allow them to use this model as a leopard cat, eventually as a serval, as a caracal with a different painting, etc. All inaccurate. There's the wombat which is used as a bear and a wombat and many other very ambiguous ones, namely the jaguarundi which is likely a black panther but can be used as many other species if a different painting is applied.
Here is the quartet of lynxes but it doesn't mean you cannot use your multitask feline as a leopard cat, of course.

Extralarge (marked "Felis lynx" and this particular one is from a North American set Laughing

Large

Small

Mini

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2023 5:11 pm

It must be related to the ChapMei cat. cat

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 8:42 am

As they produiced an accurate lynx with side whiskers, short tail, long legs and sharp ears at the same scale, I think that with that model, they wanted to produice another little wild cat in a small jungle animals set.

Last edited by Caracal on Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 9:27 am

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
It must be related to the ChapMei cat. cat

Oh yes! it could be another sample of the "forest caracal" recently discovered by ranger Daniel! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2023 1:33 pm

This set is a mix of Nayab sets of mini figures.
Do you know the brand of this particular set?

The genet as civet
It is more than fine, we never found a consensual identification and civets and genets are much alike.

The lynx as a Leopard Cat,
Our opinions are not contradictory. I think it is a lynx mould modified to be used for other wild cat species and you think it is a leopard cat which got the niche of the lynx to serve as an alternative species.
Since it is marketed as a leopard cat, at least for this company and it is a plausible identification, I don't mind adding it to the leopard cat on TAW. Actually, the larger one is linking to several lynx species pages even if it is marked as an Eurasian lynx.
I think Paige got it. Laughing

The otter civet as a weasel.
Honestly, it doesn't look like a weasel at all but the tail is also too long for a an otter civet.I think The species of weasel with the longest legs relative to its body size is the Long-tailed Weasel but does it look like one?
Interestingly, the figure we identified as the corresponding extralarge one is marked with the scientific name of a house shrew. Laughing These figures are more or less what the customer company wants and it also works for collectors, I guess.

The European badger as a hog badger
Really interesting this one. The larger one looks like an European badger but we know it sold as an American badger which it is not.
I can't see if it has a pig-like nose but the colors are wrong for an European badger.

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2023 10:30 am

Just noted as " Brand New & High Quality", from ShanghaÏ, so unbranded..

I am not surprised by the civet for as genet, its tail was far too little and I had began to customize one in genet, making its tail longer and thicker but never ended..

The identifications can be strange (see orangutan!) :)
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2023 1:51 pm

My favorite of the batch is the Orangutan Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2023 10:18 pm

Laughing Really multifunctional figures.
The orangutan is the gorillla of the Nayab set [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2023 10:43 pm

A great philosopher once said, 'one can spend one's time trying to elucidate the identifications of Nayab figures, or one can spend one's time performing acts that require much less effort, such as solving world hunger or climate change'
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2023 11:23 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
A great philosopher once said, 'one can spend one's time trying to elucidate the identifications of Nayab figures, or one can spend one's time performing acts that require much less effort, such as solving world hunger or climate change'
Wise words indeed. Laughing Laughing Palmface

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2023 11:25 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Another ones said "the ways of God are impenetrable, those of Nayab are even more so"
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2023 10:32 am

Laughing I see what you mean but with a little exaggeration for most of the models are correctly identified! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Hippocollector

Hippocollector

Country/State : Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2023 7:48 pm

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2023 7:56 pm

Asian water buffalo. Very Happy

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2023 8:12 pm

.. without any doubt!.. which brand please?..
Back to top Go down
Hippocollector

Hippocollector

Country/State : Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2023 8:14 pm

I dont know its not marked
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptySat Feb 11, 2023 8:50 am

OK thank you! :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2023 10:24 am

This year I'm collecting a few dogs and trying to lear a little more about the different breeds. One of my recent acquisitions is this Polyresin or polystone dog figure from the DeAgostini series.
Though, I don't know its breed, the first thing I though was Dogo Argentino but it might be another similar breed. Does anyone know?

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2023 6:37 pm

My first thought was a Dogo Argentino also. A handsome model! It could pass as a few of those South American unrecognized breeds, but I think a Dogo matches just as well. Congrats Roger!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 32 Empty

Back to top Go down

Species identification topic
Page 32 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37  Next