Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species identification topic

Go down 
+62
bmathison1972
rogerpgvg
Leoo Past
Hippocollector
Shanti
George
Joliezac
Jill
75senta75
Stripedhyena
Birdsage
pipsxlch
Mitsukuni
Pepi
Roy-Swetsie
WILLYBACOMAN
Bonnie
Duck-Anch-Amun
endogenylove
costicuba
RtasVadumee
Steve170
Giulia
Advicot
spacelab
landrover
Caracal
Megaptera
Dutch Bear
Pardofelis
halichoeres
barracudacat
Jolinem
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
Logan'sArk
NightLioness
Silver Unicornis
jarda
sbell
arafan
Tarunyada
QuollMate
EmperorDinobot
Bonobo
widukind
elephas_maximus
Kikimalou
DaveScriv
LeeAnn
NandO
Roger
Dorkan
stef1000
Taos
Dr.Narayanan
krista
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Katty
66 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 27 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
endogenylove

endogenylove

Country/State : United States

Species identification topic - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2020 3:43 pm

For some reason I have always assumed these to be Russian Tortoises, as those are by far the most common pet tortoises where I live and therefore just a very familiar species. I do agree though that desert tortoise could fit as well.

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2020 12:31 pm

I thought that they might be russian tortoises, as well. They are sold as set and present likely pet tortoises. But as they are very generic, I think you can use them as species that you like.

My problem with them is rather the expensive price. Yes, I know that we receive 4 pieces, but I only need one piece of this set. So, 10,00 € ist to much for me.
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2020 4:55 pm

Hopefully a site like Sanspielfiguren will sell them individually

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2020 6:18 pm

Russian tortoise is a great idea; I was unfamiliar with their popularity in terraria. I think I'll get the set to represent the Russian tortoise (but will only retain the adult)
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptySat Sep 26, 2020 9:42 am

Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:
My problem with them is rather the expensive price. Yes, I know that we receive 4 pieces, but I only need one piece of this set. So, 10,00 € ist to much for me.

Same reason that don't allow me to get the Schleich wobbegong!

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptySun Sep 27, 2020 2:30 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Any thoughts on the species in the Schleich tortoise home set [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I wonder if these are better desert tortoises (at least the adult), than the Safari 'desert tortoise'

I agree with you. They are more Desert Tortoises than Russian ones. Because the Russian one has only 4 claws per leg. But the one from Schleich has 5.
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptySun Sep 27, 2020 2:35 pm

The Schleich Sawfish could be a Smalltooth sawfish. This species is the only one, which is more mouse-grey and the only one where both dorsal fins have the same size:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptySun Sep 27, 2020 3:00 pm

cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2020 8:52 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:

Same reason that don't allow me to get the Schleich wobbegong!

Oh yes, that´s true. For me it´s the same with the wobbegong!
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2020 11:11 pm

I don't know if it has already been debated here but it's quite obvious that the new figure from Papo marketed as "swordfish" is in fact a sailfish :
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 8:45 am

Congratulations

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 8:56 am

Ohh, yes ! Of course it is a sailfish Shocked

Papo marketing is not always in posession of a dictinary study Laughing
As far as I can see, it is called sailfish in French in the catalogue ( Espadon-voilier ).

Duck-Anch-Amun

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks for the information! I always have problems with marlin, swordfish and sailfish, don´t know why. But as I learned, I´m not the only one^^
So, thanks for the clearification and I think even on TAI there are some doubtful identifications for these fishes.
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 7:13 pm

SUSANNE wrote:

As far as I can see, it is called sailfish in French in the catalogue ( Espadon-voilier ).

In French, the "voilier" is absolutely NOT an "espadon" ! The "voilier" (sailfish) belongs to the marlins family (Istiophoridae) while the "espadon" (swordfish) is the only species of the Xiphiidae family. So "Espadon-voilier" translates to "swordfish-sailfish" which means nothing. I would be meaningful if it was marketed as "Marlin-voilier".
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2020 12:17 pm

RtasVadumee wrote:
SUSANNE wrote:

In French, the "voilier" is absolutely NOT an "espadon" ! The "voilier" (sailfish) belongs to the marlins family (Istiophoridae) while the "espadon" (swordfish) is the only species of the Xiphiidae family. So "Espadon-voilier" translates to "swordfish-sailfish" which means nothing. I would be meaningful if it was marketed as "Marlin-voilier".

OMG ! So they don't even speak French at Papo affraid Laughing

Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm

Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyMon Oct 19, 2020 10:23 pm

RtasVadumee wrote:
I don't know if it has already been debated here but it's quite obvious that the new figure from Papo marketed as "swordfish" is in fact a sailfish :
It was so obvious that more than debated, I would say it was stated (in the Papo New for 2020 topic). It's like compare a lion with a hyena Razz

A good swordfish figure is still lacking in the currently available figure trade... there is the Safari Pelagic Toob one, but it's too small for my taste...

Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2020 1:48 pm

We already discussed about the Schleich tortoise from the "Schleich Pets Series". Most of us use it as russian tortoise.
But was there already a discussion about the frog from the same serie?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Does anyone has it in their collection? And what Species could this be?
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2020 3:23 pm

Duck-Anch-Amun wrote:
We already discussed about the Schleich tortoise from the "Schleich Pets Series". Most of us use it as russian tortoise.
But was there already a discussion about the frog from the same serie?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Does anyone has it in their collection? And what Species could this be?

Hard to tell from that angle, but the morphology looks like an American bull frog. Since it is in a 'pet series' it could be a green tree frog (Hyla cinerea), since those are common in terraria (at least here in the US).
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyFri Oct 23, 2020 7:49 pm

I think it looks more like Litoria caerulea as that is what it is in my collection

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 6:27 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. Looking at the picture on wikipedia, it really could be an australian green tree frog!
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptySun Dec 27, 2020 12:25 am

Dr.Narayanan wrote:
Could any one tell me which species are these animals ? [ I want the name of these ]

All made by Nayab, they came together in a plastic bag, lots of them!

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptySun Dec 27, 2020 9:12 am

First looks like a quoll, and having unspotted tail I would say an eastern quoll (Dasyurus viverrinus)
Second is clearly shaped like a Mustela sp. It could pass as Siberian weasel or a steppe polecat, taking the artistic license in paintjob.
Third is a mongoose, you can decide which one, as both shape and paintjob are unrealistic for any species. Being plain and greyish it could pass as a species of Herpestes despite the short tail and big head.
And four is the most interesting: a masked palm civet (Paguma larvata)

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 11:53 am

Any idea about this fish species ?

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 12:00 pm

My best guess is a monkfish

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

Species identification topic
Page 17 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 27 ... 37  Next