Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species identification topic

Go down 
+61
rogerpgvg
Leoo Past
Hippocollector
Shanti
George
Joliezac
Jill
75senta75
Stripedhyena
Birdsage
pipsxlch
Mitsukuni
Pepi
Roy-Swetsie
WILLYBACOMAN
Bonnie
Duck-Anch-Amun
endogenylove
costicuba
RtasVadumee
Steve170
Giulia
Advicot
spacelab
landrover
Caracal
Megaptera
Dutch Bear
Pardofelis
halichoeres
barracudacat
Jolinem
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
Logan'sArk
NightLioness
Silver Unicornis
jarda
sbell
arafan
Tarunyada
QuollMate
EmperorDinobot
Bonobo
widukind
elephas_maximus
Kikimalou
DaveScriv
LeeAnn
NandO
Roger
Dorkan
stef1000
Taos
Dr.Narayanan
krista
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Katty
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 27 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Species identification topic - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 6:30 am

I agree but which one ?
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 6:35 am

Lophius americanus :)

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 6:42 am

Advicot wrote:
Lophius americanus :)

Why not but it can also be a Lophius piscatorius.
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 6:54 am

That's true, they seem to look very similar

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 8:34 am

when picking a species, think simply. Go with 1) type species in genus or 2) what is the fauna in/around the country that produced the figure.

By the way, who made this? Looks nice!

EDIT: I see on eBay it is Eikoh (didn't see it TAI). Eikoh doesn't usually restrict themselves to the Japanese fauna, so I'd go with L. picatorius since it is the type species. But you could probably flip a coin...
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 9:28 am

It is on Taw on the Anglerfish species without specie identification. I thought it could be L. picatorius because it's the type species but I wanted to heard some more knowledgeable friends point. It's done Wink
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 10:42 am

Oh, my dreamed Eikoh monkfish! A figure I really want badly!
About the precise ID, since you live in Europe is better that you use it as the European Lophius piscatorius, that is the species we all know since childhood. You can also use it as Lophius litulon, that is probably the most important in commercial fishery nowadays.

You can use FishBase for find if there are any subtle difference between the several Lophius species and if any can be applied to the figure, what I doubt.

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 11:51 am

Yes ,that's my problem, I don't have the model, it is for me impossible to find a species original characteristic on the pic.

By the way, I will buy one soon, I can command a second for you if you like Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 11:54 am

Eikoh figures are not often marketed to the species level and while very nice usually do not have the detail to definitively get species-level ID (see the fiddler crab, slow loris, etc.).

For TAI might be best to keep it at genus level and then collectors can call it what they want. If I were to get it (which I would like), I would call it L. picatorius

P.S...why are there no Minatureplanet Vol. 17 on TAI on the Eikoh pages?
Back to top Go down
WILLYBACOMAN

WILLYBACOMAN

Country/State : Zwolle, The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2021 5:18 pm

Well it looks like a Stonefish(Synanceia verrucosa), but it looks flatter, but it is related to that genus anyway.

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2021 5:27 pm

Hmm... yes, as related as a lion with a weasel, or as a giraffe with a pig Razz

Kikimalou wrote:
Yes ,that's my problem, I don't have the model, it is for me impossible to find a species original characteristic on the pic.

By the way, I will buy one soon, I can command a second for you if you like Very Happy

Oh, thanks for being so kind! I would like one but I think I must finish first the trade with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and the subsequent trade with Roger before starting a new pending one, hehe. I'm just waiting for Adam to pronounce :)

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2021 2:25 am

You have all your time Very Happy
I will buy them soon but my parcel will come in Europe when I will catch the last ikimon set.
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2021 5:23 am

Isidro, your Malayan tapir is on route to me and I'll send it your way with the other figures

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2021 11:37 am

Oh, this is an extremely good new! You made my day! Very Happy Just tell me when you want the salamanders and fishes (I'll need your adress!)

And Kikicasso, you may buy two monkfishes if you don't mind to reserve one for me :) but what do you want in exchange? Swap by another figure? Just cash?

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2021 11:39 am

As soon as the tapir is in my hands I'll box it up with the other figures you want, and I'll send you a PM

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2021 4:25 pm

Pardofelis wrote:

And Kikicasso, you may buy two monkfishes if you don't mind to reserve one for me :) but what do you want in exchange? Swap by another figure? Just cash?

I don't know, I just want to help and we are not in a hurry. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roy-Swetsie

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 3:26 am

Last week I found this set of 8 individual insects. I have no clue about a brand so I also posted it in the brand identification topic.

Does anyone have an idea about species identification further?
As I don't have any idea about what the pinkish insect should be, I posted an extra pic of it, along with a pic of the stag beetle.

1 Grasshopper
2 Tarantula ssp
3 Centipede ssp
4 Scorpion ssp
5 Stag beetle
6 Water beetle - Hydrophilus piceus?
7 Ladybug - Seven-spot ladybird
8 Unknown to me...?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 5:06 am

These figures are for the most part too generic for give them a species ID. However you can use them as a species of your convenience based on the appareance of the model and how popular are the respective species. If the brand is Europe-based I would go easily for European species. For example:

Grasshopper: an example of totally green grasshopper that is not uncommon in Europe is Chorthippus jucundus, even when the brand doesn't really pretend to represent any species.

Tarantula: you can assign it to almost any species of tarantula, plus to some non-mygalomorph spiders. For example, an equally chunky black compact spider would be a female Eresus, that is non-mygalomorph (excusing the too long palpi).

Centipede: the only very clear one. With these colours it can't be nothing other than Scolopendra hardwickei.

Scorpion: 98% of chances of represent the extremely well known Pandinus imperator. Black colour and thick pincers are in favour of this.

Stag beetle: the famous European one, Lucanus cervus. Tough not pretended by the brand, with these relatively short, evenly curved mandibles it could pass as Lucanus cervus f. capreolus (minor form of the male). If the brand is American I would go for Lucanus elaphus.

Water beetle: clearly hydrophilid (not dytiscid) and hence 99% of chances of being the biggest and by far most well known of the hundreds of species of this family: Hydrophilus piceus. Appareance matches too.

Ladybug: the easiest one to ID and you got it, Coccinella septempunctata.

Unknown: clearly a cockroach, you can use either as a nymph of Blatta orientalis or a nymph of Periplaneta americana, being both species the most well known of all roaches. Being pink, the colour scheme agrees slightly more with the rusty-coloured American cockroach than with the black Oriental cockroach.

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 7:08 am

I have reviewed this set of insects. It was released in conjunction with the Disney film, A Bug's Life.

Pardofelis' IDs are essentially good, but the last red figure I have identified as a springtail (Collembola). The terminal antennal segment is long and unsegmented and there appears to be a furcula peaking out from behind.
Back to top Go down
Pepi
Banned
Pepi

Country/State : Madrid

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyThu Jan 21, 2021 7:39 am

Dear collectors,
I have the opportunity to get this ray

Searching in TAW, I think it's one of the AAA skates.
I have asked for measures.

I don't know anything about the brand and the quality of their figures. Besides, I'm a bit lost in identifying this species, so I'm totally insecure about buying or not (it's cheap, though).

Any additional info?

Thanks friends :)
Back to top Go down
Mitsukuni

Mitsukuni

Country/State : United states/ohio

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 24, 2021 7:44 pm

I’d like you guys’ opinions on what species this is please. I feel silly asking because upon first glance I want to say tiger 100% but then I look closer and the short tail and the shape of the face/ears makes me think it could possibly be a hyena confused even the seller doesn’t know and describes it as a tiger OR hyena.
Any info at all on this tiny guy would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by Mitsukuni on Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 24, 2021 8:33 pm

Take away the black stripes on orange paintjob, and it looks more like a hyena to me. scratch
Back to top Go down
Mitsukuni

Mitsukuni

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptySun Jan 24, 2021 9:08 pm

I agree Kelly, and considering this is an older figure even the orange color could be attributed to a hyena, and as for the stripes a lot of companies would combine aspects of striped and spotted hyenas so it’s not unthinkable that they could have done orange color for a spotted hyena but then done stripes for a striped hyena. I wish I could find out the maker, and possibly even see a catalogue pic with this figure saying what species it is, but I’m sure that is way too much to ask forXD

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyMon Jan 25, 2021 5:53 pm

I would say a bobcat..
Back to top Go down
Mitsukuni

Mitsukuni

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 EmptyMon Jan 25, 2021 6:34 pm

Oh my gosh Caracal you’re a genius! I knew that it couldn’t be a tiger or a hyena but the tail was throwing me off so much, of course it’s a bobcat! Thank you!

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   Species identification topic - Page 18 Empty

Back to top Go down

Species identification topic
Page 18 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 27 ... 37  Next