Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Species identification topic

Go down 
+61
rogerpgvg
Leoo Past
Hippocollector
Shanti
George
Joliezac
Jill
75senta75
Stripedhyena
Birdsage
pipsxlch
Mitsukuni
Pepi
Roy-Swetsie
WILLYBACOMAN
Bonnie
Duck-Anch-Amun
endogenylove
costicuba
RtasVadumee
Steve170
Giulia
Advicot
spacelab
landrover
Caracal
Megaptera
Dutch Bear
Pardofelis
halichoeres
barracudacat
Jolinem
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Bowhead Whale
Bloodrayne
Logan'sArk
NightLioness
Silver Unicornis
jarda
sbell
arafan
Tarunyada
QuollMate
EmperorDinobot
Bonobo
widukind
elephas_maximus
Kikimalou
DaveScriv
LeeAnn
NandO
Roger
Dorkan
stef1000
Taos
Dr.Narayanan
krista
Tiermann
SUSANNE
Katty
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

Country/State : México

zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyThu Apr 27, 2023 2:40 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I would say Cheetah but a leopard could fit too
looks like a cheetah but has the same mold as the K&M leopard
Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyThu Apr 27, 2023 2:40 pm

Roger wrote:
Slim waist, well-defined forehead, and spots instead of rosettes makes me think that it is a cheetah.
if it will be
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyThu Apr 27, 2023 2:44 pm

Leoo Past wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
I would say Cheetah but a leopard could fit too
looks like a cheetah but has the same mold as the K&M leopard

looks like an emaciated leopard or jaguar to me; shape of head doesn't look like a cheetah.

Interpreting spots vs. rosettes in a figure like this is a futile effort; who would go through the trouble of concerning themselves with painting rosettes on a figure like this.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyThu Apr 27, 2023 2:48 pm

Leoo Past wrote:
Roger wrote:
Slim waist, well-defined forehead, and spots instead of rosettes makes me think that it is a cheetah.
if it will be

I haven't noticed it is the same as the leopard of the Wild Republic African Nature tube.  Actually I think TAW is wrong and I will fix it since the company is marketing it as a cheetah.

Edit: the TAW tube page mentions the figure is marked "leopard" so I don't know what to do really.

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyThu Apr 27, 2023 4:53 pm

Roger wrote:
Leoo Past wrote:
Roger wrote:
if it will be

I haven't noticed it is the same as the leopard of the Wild Republic African Nature tube.  Actually I think TAW is wrong and I will fix it since the company is marketing it as a cheetah.

Edit: the TAW tube page mentions the figure is marked "leopard" so I don't know what to do really.
and it is that he is smaller than the leopard from the wild republic tube but his face is different
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyFri Apr 28, 2023 12:30 pm

I think those are figures of the Nayab universe and they are often used to represent different species as long as they are relatively similar. Cheetahs and leopards are very different when we are talking about accurate animal figures but those small bulk sized ones or those Nayab hybrides are often quite inaccurate.

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyFri Apr 28, 2023 10:39 pm

Roger wrote:
I think those are figures of the Nayab universe and they are often used to represent different species as long as they are relatively similar. Cheetahs and leopards are very different when we are talking about accurate animal figures but those small bulk sized ones or those Nayab hybrides are often quite inaccurate.
No wonder that confusion as I saw in TAW as a cheetah had that doubt if it was a leopard or a cheetah
Back to top Go down
Leoo Past

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyFri Jun 09, 2023 12:26 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I have a question is Andrewsarchus or hyenodon It's very different from safari too Toob on the muzzle and complexion
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyFri Jun 09, 2023 1:37 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyFri Jun 09, 2023 1:29 pm

This is one of those very debated and fascinating subjects of this hobby. Paige gave the right link. The PEC model as well as the whole series, is derived from the corresponding Play Visions one. Although the Play Visions is not exactly a miniature of their larger model, it is something that generated an interesting debate since the larger figure is identified as a prehistoric hyena. This inaccurate name suites probably better a Pachycrocuta which is not what the figure intends to represent. The best approaches are andrewsarchus and hyaenodon. Thus, the name supports the latter.
Today's knowledge also describes the Andrewsarchus as an ungulate and not a carnivoran which puts again the PV model closer to what a Hyaenodon should look like. Though, at the time, Andrewsarchus was described as a carnivoran thus their feline like paws, wolf appearance and feline colors.According to TAW, the smaller PV is marked "Andrewsarchus hyena" what supports it is a Andrewsarchus indeed. This DTB entry is very interesting and shows the illustrations which served as inspiration to the figure.
In my personal opinion, considering the way those two animals were represented in paleoart, the large PV figure is closer to an Andrewsarchus but it is really hard to tell. The collecting community also adopted it as an Andrewsarchus but an identification as a Hyaenodon is quite plausible and with today's knowleddge, using it as a Hyaenodon is less inaccurate.

Leoo Past

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyFri Jun 09, 2023 3:22 pm

Roger wrote:
This is one of those very debated and fascinating subjects of this hobby. Paige gave the right link. The PEC model as well as the whole series, is derived from the corresponding Play Visions one. Although the Play Visions is not exactly a miniature of their larger model, it is something that generated an interesting debate since the larger figure is identified as a prehistoric hyena. This inaccurate name suites probably better a Pachycrocuta which is not what the figure intends to represent. The best approaches are andrewsarchus and hyaenodon. Thus, the name supports the latter.
Today's knowledge also describes the Andrewsarchus as an ungulate and not a carnivoran which puts again the PV model closer to what a Hyaenodon should look like. Though, at the time, Andrewsarchus was described as a carnivoran thus their feline like paws, wolf appearance and feline colors.According to TAW, the smaller PV is marked "Andrewsarchus hyena" what supports it is a Andrewsarchus indeed. This DTB entry is very interesting and shows the illustrations which served as inspiration to the figure.
In my personal opinion, considering the way those two animals were represented in paleoart, the large PV figure is closer to an Andrewsarchus but it is really hard to tell. The collecting community also adopted it as an Andrewsarchus but an identification as a Hyaenodon is quite plausible and with today's knowleddge, using it as a Hyaenodon is less inaccurate.
If that's what I noticed that the big one is more like Andrewsarchus and the small one looks the same as a hyenodon, I think they put it as hyenodon and they made a mistake when putting Andrewsarchus but I wanted to get out of Doubts with the experts on this topic
Back to top Go down
Cepaea

Country/State : Hungary

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyWed Jun 14, 2023 6:07 pm

Could any one tell me which species are these fish?
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyWed Jun 14, 2023 7:44 pm

The middle figure is a mudskipper, but that's about all that I can help with.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyFri Jun 16, 2023 7:49 pm

love these fish! so beautiful!

yes, definitely a mudskipper but I'm not sure about the other 2. the bottom one looks familiar though
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyMon Jun 26, 2023 11:43 pm

Any ideas on this guy? (terrible photo I know)

Scoured TAW and cannot find it anywhere. Species AND brand?

Back to top Go down
Balaenoptera

Balaenoptera

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyTue Jun 27, 2023 11:46 am

The brand is Kenner, the species I believe is the blue-girdled angelfish
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyTue Jun 27, 2023 1:48 pm

Oh thank you! I should have just come to you. Wink No wonder I couldnt find it. It isnt on the wiki.

Back to top Go down
Balaenoptera

Balaenoptera

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyTue Jun 27, 2023 2:01 pm

No problem Wink the line is called Wonder World by the way
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyTue Jun 27, 2023 4:32 pm

Balaenoptera wrote:
The brand is Kenner, the species I believe is the blue-girdled angelfish

Absolutly right. Beautieful figure by a unknown brand. There is also a nice triggerfish

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyThu Jun 29, 2023 12:45 am

looking more into the series, there are a few fun figures. But many of the sets are expensive for the collectors of this niche brand...

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyThu Jun 29, 2023 12:01 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
looking more into the series, there are a few fun figures. But many of the sets are expensive for the collectors of this niche brand...

For me are only 3 figures interesting. There are also a octopus, sharks, a dolphin and a manta ray. And you can find a set of fishes too on ebay.

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Logan'sArk

Logan'sArk

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptySun Aug 13, 2023 10:38 pm

Can anyone tell me what these might be? I've seen them listed under a name "Dillon Toys", with the snail-like creature being called a whelk, but no specific species names. The Toy Animal Wiki also lists the sea cucumber as unidentified, but could it be customized to look like a known species?

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyMon Aug 14, 2023 1:24 am

widukind wrote:

The shape is reminiscent of a greenling (Hexagrammidae sp.). The pattern does not match any particular species.

widukind wrote:

Clearly a croaker of some species (Sciaenidae sp.). The stripe pattern vaguely resembles Menticirrhus saxatilis, but the green color and deep body are all wrong for that species.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptyMon Aug 14, 2023 7:13 am

Thank you

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 EmptySun Aug 27, 2023 6:01 pm

What is the red angelfish-like fish by Bullyland. Seen here, third from the left on the bottom.

It's not actually linked on that Bullyland page
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Species identification topic   zebra - Species identification topic - Page 34 Empty

Back to top Go down

Species identification topic
Page 34 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next