Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models

Go down 
+41
Mgarat
LeeAnn
MiniZoo
widukind
costicuba
SUSANNE
Ana
Saarlooswolfhound
Kikimalou
Roger
Wilorvise
A.R.Garcia
Geospiza fortis
littlebear
Bloodrayne
Dum_my
Tarunyada
Carola
signatus
ulinuk
Shanti
Bonobo
lucky luke
Fisva
Noémi
Florian
kudu11
Zelvik
SyLoBe
koniminiatures
elephas_maximus
Defteros
JonasV
cattlecollector
animalluvr6
Philter4
bjarki12
trevok4
A-J
Joan Milelire
HKHollinstone
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 11:04 pm

Wow, its fantastic. Great job!!!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 2:12 am

Thank you all!

I haven't had much time recently, but here it is:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The legs are a tad short and I'm currently fixing them so that it can stand properly. Does anyone use styrofoam instead of wood to sculpt on? It seems a little easier.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 2:17 am

Lovely! Very Happy

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 11:07 am

Looking good! cheers

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 3:23 am

Thank you LeeAnn and Jonas. I've done a bit of work on her.
and
I am soon going to cut the wire on the legs so that it can stand freely. I won't be able to change leg length easily after that. Are the legs appropriately long? I'm thinking mostly about the front legs, as I'm not too confident on them. I'm also not sure about texture. I'm considering leaving the skin smooth except for the larger wrinkles in the face or around joints.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 8:54 am

Fantastic model cheers

MiniZoo

MiniZoo

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 9:06 am

It's coming along really nicely. I think you've really nailed the downward pose of the head/neck. If it were me I would definitely texture the hide as it's so much a part of the character of a Rhino. Would be a challenge but I think worth the time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.minizoo.com.au/
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 11:07 am

Very very nice rhino!! I think it's gonna be even more beautiful when painted! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
JonasV

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Looking great! bounce bounce cheers

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 7:56 pm

I think legs are good but like Minizoo, I think it will worth to make a rich texture. It will improve your figure if you feel confident to make it. Very Happy

signatus

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 8:05 pm

Beautiful figure on a typical posture of white rhinoceros, more relaxed and less dangerous than its black relative. Perfect proportions and body shapes. I like it ! sunny .

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Likaon - Wildlife Models Shop http://www.likaonmodels.com/
My homemade models : www.signatustudio.com
Back to top Go down
http://signatustudio.com
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Thank you all for your positive feedback!

MiniZoo wrote:
I think you've really nailed the downward pose of the head/neck.

The silhouette was something I've been focusing on for this one. I'm glad you like it. I tried to match a photograph I had taken of a near perfect lateral view on a white rhino when I was in Florida a few months ago.

signatus wrote:
Beautiful figure on a typical posture of white rhinoceros, more relaxed and less dangerous than its black relative. Perfect proportions and body shapes. I like it ! sunny .

Again, the matching the silhouette was a priority, and its posed like that since I like neutral poses (mostly).

MiniZoo wrote:
If it were me I would definitely texture the hide as it's so much a part of the character of a Rhino. Would be a challenge but I think worth the time.

I think I will. I'll certainly be doing the big wrinkles, but I'm going to at least attempt to do the very fine texture. It can't be worse than my last rhino. I was considering not-texturing it because some miniatures as seen in museums and other models (old safari rhino) don't have much texture, but I will try and see what I can do.
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptySat Dec 13, 2014 11:42 pm

I have finally finished sculpting my rhinoceros. She is still unbaked and I might look it over a little more before baking, but here it is:
If anyone has any thoughts about it, now is the time to say something. I was intending on trying to make copies of this one, just to see if I can learn how, but I probably won't for a while until I make something smaller which requires less material. Currently in progress are a 1:20 puma, and an unscaled barn owl. Planned are a 1:20 American crocodile and giraffe.
Back to top Go down
MiniZoo

MiniZoo

Country/State : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 8:23 am

Looking good!
Back to top Go down
http://www.minizoo.com.au/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 8:32 am

It is beautyful Applause Applause cheers

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 10:34 am

It looks really nice Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JonasV

JonasV

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 12:45 pm

Wonderful! Surprised Surprised Applause cheers

Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 2:34 pm

Thank you, JonasV, Kikimalou, Susanne, and MiniZoo!

And as you suggested, MiniZoo, I did do texturing, particularly on the legs and face, but they're hard to see unpainted.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 12:41 am

It looks great, That's surely an animal hard to sculpt. I think it could be bettter to try molds with less known species, I guess. Though, I think rhinos are very appreciated among collectors. Very Happy

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 12:53 am

Roger wrote:
It looks great, That's surely an animal hard to sculpt. I think it could be bettter to try molds with less known species, I guess. Though, I think rhinos are very appreciated among collectors. Very Happy

Thank you. That's another thing which came to mind than just size.

I've also been working on 3D sculpting. I downloaded sculptrix little less than a month ago and spent some time yesterday and today making this:

Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 5:43 am

What a nice "new mood" controversial spino Very Happy It is an excellent idea Wink
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Great white rhino! There was an elderly individual that died at the San Diego zoo yesterday, leaving only something like 5 captive white rhinos left in the entire world. Crying or Very sad
I also like your spino. I haven't decided if I accept the idea that a spino walked on all fours, mostly because I don't understand how before his legs were long like a Trex, and suddenly they are much shorter like an alligator. Can any dino experts help me understand this? Spino was one of my favorites a child. Very Happy

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 2:54 am

Thanks, Kikimalou!

Thank you Saarlooswolfhound. I did not hear about that particular rhino, but I've seen more than five in zoos. I think it may be that it was of the northern subspecies which is Critically Endangered, as there are lots of southern white rhinos in zoos.
I actually don't think spinosaurus walked on all fours, either. I haven't seen anything convincing me that their forelimbs were adapted for weight-bearing. My opinion, for now, at least, is that spinosaurus spent a vast majority of its time in the water, but when it did come out, would have walked plantigrade. IIRC there were some footprints found in Spain/Portugal in which a theropod was walking plantigrade so I find that more likely. As for the change in leg length, it was never (until now) known how long spinosaurus' legs were, due to how fragmentary the original remains were (which are now destroyed). The original skeletal restorations depicted it as allosaur-like until it was realized that it was more closely related to baryonyx. From there, paleontologists simply 'filled in the gaps' with our knowledge of baryonyx. Only recently were the true hindlimbs of spinosaurus described.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 10:26 am

I agree with Geopizza (I can't miss this one Embarassed Wink ), it is the Northern subspecies which is considered extinct, not the Southern one which is present in many zoos and have even being introduced in the Northern species range.
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 3:00 am

Here's another one I started, a puma:
He is based on one I used to visit in a local zoo which died this summer:
https://www.facebook.com/ZooAmerica/photos/pb.221631454552585.-2207520000.1419213446./687389001310159/?type=3&theater
I was lucky enough to meet him up close a week before, and took some pictures which inspired this sculpture.

Hopefully I'll be more active in sculpting in the coming weeks as I will be out of school for the holidays.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models
Page 13 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next