Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pleisto.. scenes!

Go down 
+25
Gecko08
George
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Komodo
Max
Liiolii
Bonnie
spacelab
rogerpgvg
costicuba
Henricuz
Advicot
CWGross
Kikimalou
Shanti
pipsxlch
1claire
bmathison1972
Pardofelis
widukind
landrover
SUSANNE
Taos
Roger
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2019 6:52 pm

winter is coming, the big migration.. by Starlux..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2019 8:25 pm

The title is genial and fits perfectly... Pleisto...scenes! cheers
All these pictures are superb and the first one assumed a certain dramatism that turns it absolutely phenomenal! We almost forget that what we are seeing is an impressive collection and we are moved to that period. cheers

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2019 8:57 pm

Wonderful scenes and great models!! Applause Applause Applause

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Now these are nice dioramas. I must admit, I have never been able to appreciate when people photograph animal models outside. I prefer it when everything is constructed, including the habitat!
Is this a large, permanent diorama you can use for multiple scenes? Or do you create new for each use?
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 7:33 am

Wonderful photos, - and wat a fantastic collection of Starlux you have cheers Applause cheers

Caracal

Caracal

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 10:08 am

thanks to you all for your positive reactions! :)

Mathison, thank for your frank comment.. this is a permanent dio I use for 1/32 scale scenes I can't do outside but unlike you, I love shooting bigger scale replicas outside, trying to create illusion of reality.. even if I well know I can't do it perfectly!..  :)

Last edited by Caracal on Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 2:57 pm

With these scenes , we are very happy. cheers
Other interesting concept.

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 6:38 pm

cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyWed Feb 27, 2019 10:14 pm

thank you Fernando and Andreas! :)

cave lions and horses from Starlux (repaint)

Last edited by Caracal on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Country/State : Spain

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 7:09 am

Ohhh, they must be the mythical Equus hydruntinus, the TRUE zebras!!! (actual zebras are not zebras, they took its name from this species in the same way that penguins are not penguins, but the great auk is the true penguin Very Happy )

Total: 307
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 10:39 am

..dear Pardofelis, taxonomy of Equus genus is rather complicated!.. Once, Equus hydrontinus was supponed to be closed to zebra Equus burchelli because of its jugal teeths  or relative to wild donkey Equus africanus, because of its skeletal feature, but since recent genetic analysis of mitochondrial DNA on crimean Kabasi fossil, we know that it was an onager (Equus hemionus)!.. it was an european onager!..

These custom Starlux horses are simply the last european wild horses Equus gmelini (also called "Tarpans") in winter coat with light stripes on legs (from french zoorama of Gramat which presents some reconstitued "new aurochs and tarpans").. :)
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 2:01 pm

So, Equus hydruntinus is not anymore a valid species? That surprises me a lot. If it's the same species than Equus hemionus I find not possible that paleontologist arised it as a new species!
Anyway this is the true zebra because the name zebra is originally applied to it before than the current zebras, regardless to taxonomy Very Happy

About your figures, also surprised... the Tarpan is Equus caballus (subspecies ferus), not Equus gmelini to my knowledge...

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 2:21 pm

Pardofelis wrote:

About your figures, also surprised... the Tarpan is Equus caballus (subspecies ferus), not Equus gmelini to my knowledge...

The tarpan is E. ferus ferus (the domestic horse is E. ferus caballus) - mixed up species and subspecies there ;-)

To my knowledge E. gmelini is a synonym of E. ferus ferus
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 2:44 pm

..according the new genetic analysis, Equus hydrontinus would become Equus hemionus hydrontinus, a sub-species of onager.

Most of paleotologists agree the following classification of truth horses:

-Equus pzrewalski Poliakov, 1881
_Equus gmelini Antonius, 1912 (= Equus ferus Boddaert)
_Equus cabalus Linné, 1758

..but alarm!.. paleontologists often create species that genetic analysis don't confirm and may be that's why exist other taxonomic propositions like your!.. :)
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 2:51 pm

Caracal wrote:
..according the new genetic analysis, Equus hydrontinus would become Equus hemionus hydrontinus, a sub-species of onager.

Most of paleotologists agree the following classification of truth horses:

-Equus pzrewalski Poliakov, 1881
_Equus gmelini Antonius, 1912 (= Equus ferus Boddaert)
_Equus cabalus Linné, 1758

..but alarm!.. paleontologists often create species that genetic analysis don't confirm and may be that's why  exist other taxonomic propositions like your!..  :)

Taxonomists are always 'horsing' around lol!
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 3:08 pm

I chek on Wiki and red that following the rule of anteriority, the tarpan would be called "Equus ferus" but according somme zoologists, tarpans that Bodaert studied were no more from pure origin and that's why they can't be named "ferus"!.. rather complicated I wrote! drunken
Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 10:18 pm

Well, let's them to be just "wild horses" Very Happy
Thanks for all the taxonomic explanation!

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 10:26 pm

[quote="bmathison1972"]
Pardofelis wrote:

The tarpan is E. ferus ferus (the domestic horse is E. ferus caballus) - mixed up species and subspecies there ;-)

This concrete point is just a nonsense, who mixed up species and subespecies are those who proposed this nomenclature. The correct nomenclature is the one that I said (Equus caballus caballus for domestic horse and Equus caballus ferus for tarpan) due to the principle of priority, the most sacred rule of the zoological nomenclature system. It's just by a completely new and absolutely absurd addition that some authors decided that for all the "domestic" species, the prioritary and hence valid name should be put after, and not before the name of the wild ancestor because if don't, it "looks like that wild ancestors derivate from domestic forms". Well, nobody in the world can think that! They are just mixing nomenclature with taxonomy, that are two completely different things. So the name for domestic horse must be Equus caballus anyway, and the name for tarpan Equus caballus ferus UNLESS you considere them as a different species than domestic horse, then it would be Equus caballus for domestic and Equus ferus for tarpan.

Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 10:31 pm

Pardofelis wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:
Pardofelis wrote:

This concrete point is just a nonsense, who mixed up species and subespecies are those who proposed this nomenclature. The correct nomenclature is the one that I said (Equus caballus caballus for domestic horse and Equus caballus ferus for tarpan) due to the principle of priority, the most sacred rule of the zoological nomenclature system. It's just by a completely new and absolutely absurd addition that some authors decided that for all the "domestic" species, the prioritary and hence valid name should be put after, and not before the name of the wild ancestor because if don't, it "looks like that wild ancestors derivate from domestic forms". Well, nobody in the world can think that! They are just mixing nomenclature with taxonomy, that are two completely different things. So the name for domestic horse must be Equus caballus anyway, and the name for tarpan Equus caballus ferus UNLESS you considere them as a different species than domestic horse, then it would be Equus caballus for domestic and Equus ferus for tarpan.

Ahhhhhhhh yes I forgot that silly habit of putting the ancestral name first, regardless of what was described first. You are correct, It should be E. c. caballus for domestic and E. c. ferus for the tarpan. Thanks for the reminder. I am a taxonomist, but the taxa I study are not domesticated LOL, so I forgot this silly habit.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 10:59 pm

yes you're right Pardofelis, it's only in 2003 that the "International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature" has forbidden to place names of domestic forms before the ones of wild ones..
the right nomenclature should be:

Equus caballus caballus
Equus caballus ferus
Equus caballus przewalski

..for these 3 forms interbreed and belong to the same species: caballus!..

..oh and what about the cave lion?..  Panthera spelaea or Panthera leo spelaea?!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 6:49 pm

Back to top Go down
Pardofelis

Pardofelis

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 7:26 pm

I like the way you painted the coat of these Crocuta spelaea for make them slightly different than the current Crocuta crocuta! Very Happy

Poor guys! Who will win? Intelligence and weapons, or strenght and superior number?

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 10:30 pm

I hope they won't be to late to light a big fire!.. but if they don't..

I didn't repaint these Crocuta crocuta from nederland "Toi Toys" brand,  and which seem small copies of Schleich ones, at the same scale as my Starlux hunters (and very cheap too, 50c/each!).. :)

Last edited by Caracal on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 2:36 pm

from Starlux, eagle, cave bear and custom aurochs:

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Wonderful scenes again!!!

Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Pleisto.. scenes!
Page 1 of 16Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next